HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

NHL Approves New Four-Conference Format For Next Season

Old
12-06-2011, 04:46 PM
F L Y E R S
Orange & Black

vCash: 500
We own Carolina, so that's fine by me.

F L Y E R S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 07:44 PM
usahockey22flyers
Classic Coburn...

If the Flyers have an "average year" they probably will not make the playoffs.

This re-ensures that Snider and Homer will have to keep the checkbook open to consistently make this team better.

usahockey22flyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 07:58 PM
Devastate

I donít see the NHL allowing two teams who right now are in the same conference play in the Stanley cup(exception, Winnipeg and an east coast team). I think that goes against trying to market the entire united states and not just a specific region.

I think the NHL would rather see the Kings and Rangers than the Rangers and Flyers. And Could you imagine a Phoenix and Dallas final? Or a Ducks and Columbus final? I think it will be Winner of A and B, will player winner of C and D. Basically east coast vs west coast.

Just my opinion

Devastate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 08:01 PM
Krishna
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devastate View Post
I donít see the NHL allowing two teams who right now are in the same conference play in the Stanley cup(exception, Winnipeg and an east coast team). I think that goes against trying to market the entire united states and not just a specific region.

I think the NHL would rather see the Kings and Rangers than the Rangers and Flyers. And Could you imagine a Phoenix and Dallas final? Or a Ducks and Columbus final? I think it will be Winner of A and B, will player winner of C and D. Basically east coast vs west coast.

Just my opinion
Rangers VS Flyers cant happen..

Ducks vs Columbus final will happen... In bizarro world

Krishna is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 08:12 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5775
One thing I would put in is that the Final Four would be seeded strictly by points out-of-conference. Might as well make those games mean something besides a courtesy to fans just to bring every team through town once.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 08:39 PM
Devastate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pwnz0rs View Post
Rangers VS Flyers cant happen..

Ducks vs Columbus final will happen... In bizarro world
ok then Bruins VS Flyers.

I'm not sure the NHL will risk the possibility of having two nothing markets for the possibility of having two big markets meet in the finals.

But i guess we shall see.

Devastate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 09:54 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5775
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devastate View Post
ok then Bruins VS Flyers.

I'm not sure the NHL will risk the possibility of having two nothing markets for the possibility of having two big markets meet in the finals.

But i guess we shall see.
Not really any way you can manipulate that. In the current and future alignment, a Florida/Nashville Finals is possible.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 11:59 PM
Ryker

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
Not really any way you can manipulate that. In the current and future alignment, a Florida/Nashville Finals is possible.
So is that bad?

Ryker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2011, 01:37 AM
Krishna
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryker View Post
So is that bad?
It is so bad allowing 2 small market teams into the finals. Think of the ratings! Who cares if they need fans!

Old
12-07-2011, 02:59 AM
Brock Anton
Deal with it.

So can you guys do us a solid and help us get MacKinnon next year? Please.

I need something good to occur because I really don't want to play you guys 6 times a year and we're never going to make the playoffs, so he won't kill you.

Brock Anton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2011, 03:11 AM
Krishna
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brock Anton View Post
So can you guys do us a solid and help us get MacKinnon next year? Please.

I need something good to occur because I really don't want to play you guys 6 times a year and we're never going to make the playoffs, so he won't kill you.
Only if you trade us Murphy

Old
12-07-2011, 08:21 AM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
One thing I would put in is that the Final Four would be seeded strictly by points out-of-conference. Might as well make those games mean something besides a courtesy to fans just to bring every team through town once.
That won't work because the conferences are imbalanced, meaning that teams in a 7-team conference will play 46 games out of conference and teams in a 8-team conference will play 44 games out of conference.

You're also making a point that approximately half of the team's season shouldn't count once they reach that level of the playoffs because teams in a weak conference shouldn't get an easier pass than a strong conference. But why should the team that makes the final four be penalized because the rest of the teams in their conference don't know how to properly manage their teams? The Flyers could be in the same boat for all we know in a few years, getting an easy ride due to a weak conference.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2011, 08:40 AM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLHockeyKnight View Post
That won't work because the conferences are imbalanced, meaning that teams in a 7-team conference will play 46 games out of conference and teams in a 8-team conference will play 44 games out of conference.

You're also making a point that approximately half of the team's season shouldn't count once they reach that level of the playoffs because teams in a weak conference shouldn't get an easier pass than a strong conference. But why should the team that makes the final four be penalized because the rest of the teams in their conference don't know how to properly manage their teams? The Flyers could be in the same boat for all we know in a few years, getting an easy ride due to a weak conference.
I think someone over on the main board floated the idea of some sort of strength-of-schedule matrix for seeding the final four--though I don't know if that was speculation or a rumor. That would seem to take care of the imbalance.

IDK, what's the problem with setting up the East-West format again. Do you really want to travel back and forth to Vancouver to play the semi-finals while, say, Boston only has to go to Detroit? (I can see why the Western teams would want the set-up, for the same reason).

Jack de la Hoya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2011, 08:58 AM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeh82 View Post
I think someone over on the main board floated the idea of some sort of strength-of-schedule matrix for seeding the final four--though I don't know if that was speculation or a rumor. That would seem to take care of the imbalance.

IDK, what's the problem with setting up the East-West format again. Do you really want to travel back and forth to Vancouver to play the semi-finals while, say, Boston only has to go to Detroit? (I can see why the Western teams would want the set-up, for the same reason).
Strength of Schedule seems a bit over the top for this, IMO.

My idea was simply rotate each year the third round matchup.

Year 1: A v B, C v D
Year 2: A v C, B v D
Year 3: A v D, B v C

Switches things up each year. Also benefit of this is it opens fans to new conferences. For instance, I may not care about Conference D, but if Flyers are in A and it's Year 3, you can bet I'll likely pay attention to D's first 2 rounds, knowing there is potential that they play the Flyers.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote