HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Kris Versteeg

Old
12-06-2011, 09:14 PM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JVR21 View Post
Did you just start watching the Flyers this year? Versteeg was flat out terrible for us last year. On top of that, we needed to clear cap space for that man in your avatar.
Really, another Monday morning quarterback. Versteeg was playing with Mike and still had the suck. The front office saw the po there but it did not work out and they cut bait. There was a reason he has bounced around recently. Hey I am happy for the guy. He has his name on the cup and that is what counts.

Hockeypete49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 09:16 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
Versteeg was already injured when he came here. But everyone ignored that.

When they brought Simmonds back, they obviously felt he could fit Versteeg's role at a lesser salary, but it hasn't gone that way so far.
He wasn't injured when he got here. He got injured after he arrived here. However, the problem with Versteeg last year, and it was well documented in Toronto newspapers, was that Versteeg arrived to training camp out of shape and had to play his way back into shape. On top of it, Versteeg was a malcontent in the Toronto locker room.

I'm glad the Flyers got rid of that piece of trash. Who cares that he's scoring in Florida. Teams will wisen up to him and shut him down in the 2nd half.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 09:18 PM
flyersfan018

vCash: 50
Quote:
Versteeg was already injured when he came here. But everyone ignored that.

When they brought Simmonds back, they obviously felt he could fit Versteeg's role at a lesser salary, but it hasn't gone that way so far.
Simmonds and Versteeg are definitely not the same type of player.

flyersfan018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 09:36 PM
SchennSational1022*
The Future

Obviously he'd be on that pace on this team, I mean he's not getting first line minutes in Florida

SchennSational1022* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 09:50 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5775
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
He wasn't injured when he got here. He got injured after he arrived here. However, the problem with Versteeg last year, and it was well documented in Toronto newspapers, was that Versteeg arrived to training camp out of shape and had to play his way back into shape. On top of it, Versteeg was a malcontent in the Toronto locker room.

I'm glad the Flyers got rid of that piece of trash. Who cares that he's scoring in Florida. Teams will wisen up to him and shut him down in the 2nd half.
Yeah, the guy won a Stanley Cup and he's the leading scorer of a team that constructed their entire roster with free agents. The other two teams he played for, one has been a complete mess since the lockout, and the other nuked the core of their team over the off-season. Clearly, Versteeg is a cancer.

As for his injuries, I think it's been well-documented that he was hurt. He came here hurt, and then got hurt again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan018 View Post
Simmonds and Versteeg are definitely not the same type of player.
Please do not interject the Flyers' player evaluations with this 'reason' you use.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 09:54 PM
RoDu
Shagga likes axes

I wish we never traded for him , we could have used that first rounder

RoDu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 10:35 PM
WeekendAtBernies

As long as we're playing Monday Morning QB,

had we kept Versteeg, it was widely rumored that the Voynov was available from the Kings and that the Kings would've preferred to give him up over Simmonds in the Richards trade.

Hartnell-Giroux-Jagr
JVR-Briere-Versteeg
Read-Schenn-Voracek
Talbot-Couturier-Rinaldo

Pronge-Carle
Coburn-Meszaros
Timonen-Voynov

WeekendAtBernies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 10:47 PM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

vCash: 769
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandlansd View Post

had we kept Versteeg, it was widely rumored that the Voynov was available from the Kings and that the Kings would've preferred to give him up over Simmonds in the Richards trade.

Hartnell-Giroux-Jagr
JVR-Briere-Versteeg
Read-Schenn-Voracek
Talbot-Couturier-Rinaldo

Pronge-Carle
Coburn-Meszaros
Timonen-Voynov

doesnt work cap wise

RJ8812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 10:51 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

The Flyers could have had Voynov for themselves, but Steve Eminger was more important.

Old
12-06-2011, 11:01 PM
WeekendAtBernies

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
doesnt work cap wise
It doesn't?

CAPGEEK.COM CAP CALCULATOR

FORWARDS
Scott Hartnell ($4.200m) / Claude Giroux ($3.750m) / Jaromir Jagr ($3.300m)
JVR ($1.654m) / Daniel Briere ($6.500m) / Kris Versteeg ($3.083m)
Matt Read ($0.900m) / Brayden Schenn ($1.600m) / Jakub Voracek ($2.250m)
Maxime Talbot ($1.750m) / Sean Couturier ($1.375m) / Zac Rinaldo ($0.544m)

DEFENSEMEN
Chris Pronger ($4.921m) / Matt Carle ($3.437m)
B Coburn ($3.200m) / Andrej Meszaros ($4.000m)
Kimmo Timonen ($6.333m) / Vyacheslav Voinov ($0.816m)
/ Andreas Lilja ($0.737m)

GOALTENDERS
Ilya Bryzgalov ($5.666m) / Sergei Bobrovsky ($1.750m) /

OVERAGES from 2010-2011 ($1.500m)

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $63,270,038; BONUSES: $1,300,000
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $1,029,962

Old
12-06-2011, 11:09 PM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:

Hartnell-Giroux-Jagr
JVR-Briere-Versteeg
Read-Schenn-Voracek
Talbot-Couturier-Rinaldo

Pronge-Carle
Coburn-Meszaros
Timonen-Voynov

I actually heard the exact opposite of that. The kings would not include him in any deal or any deal recently that they have discussed because of how high they regard him. The Flyers most likely asked for him and were denied. Voynov was not on the block or could not be had

Prongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 11:45 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
It doesn't?

CAPGEEK.COM CAP CALCULATOR

FORWARDS
Scott Hartnell ($4.200m) / Claude Giroux ($3.750m) / Jaromir Jagr ($3.300m)
JVR ($1.654m) / Daniel Briere ($6.500m) / Kris Versteeg ($3.083m)
Matt Read ($0.900m) / Brayden Schenn ($1.600m) / Jakub Voracek ($2.250m)
Maxime Talbot ($1.750m) / Sean Couturier ($1.375m) / Zac Rinaldo ($0.544m)

DEFENSEMEN
Chris Pronger ($4.921m) / Matt Carle ($3.437m)
B Coburn ($3.200m) / Andrej Meszaros ($4.000m)
Kimmo Timonen ($6.333m) / Vyacheslav Voinov ($0.816m)
/ Andreas Lilja ($0.737m)

GOALTENDERS
Ilya Bryzgalov ($5.666m) / Sergei Bobrovsky ($1.750m) /

OVERAGES from 2010-2011 ($1.500m)

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $63,270,038; BONUSES: $1,300,000
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $1,029,962
You don't have Jody Shelley or Andreas Nodl on your roster. Even though Nodl was waived, you have to go with an opening-night lineup.

You also still have Voynov and not Simmonds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan9180 View Post
I actually heard the exact opposite of that. The kings would not include him in any deal or any deal recently that they have discussed because of how high they regard him. The Flyers most likely asked for him and were denied. Voynov was not on the block or could not be had
I heard much the same.

Old
12-07-2011, 01:46 AM
KimiFerrari
Messi Is God

Oh how I remember the Versteeg vs Leino arguments...

I was in the camp of keeping Versteeg, but at this point we really dont need any more forwards.

KimiFerrari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2011, 02:12 AM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
Quote:
The Flyers could have had Voynov for themselves, but Steve Eminger was more important.
yup. John Carlson or Voynov. of course many Flyer fans have little patience with developing young defenseman. I would have prefered Carlson but had we ended up with Voynov I would of been happy with it.
I dont think the Kings would have traded Voynov anyway, especially after they traded Tuebert in the Penner deal. which is going to be there Eminger trade. Very regretable.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2011, 04:15 AM
flyersfan187

Send a message via AIM to flyersfan187 Send a message via Skype™ to flyersfan187
Versteeg I thought was more in the Richards crowd and not the Lavy crowd correct? Him, Carter, Richards and Carcillo. They're all gone now. Homer decided to keep the coach over the players so he is building this team around Lavy. There were rumors that half the team didn't buy into his offensive style system and half did. I believe Versteeg was more in the "wrong" corner. It was one or the other. Sure its just rumors, but with this turn around in the off season you know there was something wrong in the locker room.

Anyway, Versteeg is good sure, but we don't need him and I'd rather have a cheaper Simmonds then a more expensive Versteeg.

flyersfan187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2011, 07:30 AM
Banger

They thought Read could take his spot and save $2 mill and they were right.

Banger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2011, 07:53 AM
WeekendAtBernies

Quote:
I heard that he was most certainly available in the Richards trade. After the season started though and he showed what he can do @ the NHL level, that's when he became untouchable.

No way to know for sure, but...

Old
12-07-2011, 07:55 AM
Coppy
Good Luck Richie!

Quote:
They wouldn't include Voynov but they would include Schenn (the leauges top prospect) and Simmonds (who we were told for two years was untouchable because of how much Lombardi liked him)? My guess is the Flyers insisted the deal be structured around Schenn. Once that happened the King's said they would be unwilling to give up both Schenn and Voynov. Or if they were willing, it would have required the Flyers to give up additional assets to get both. My point is, if the Flyers really wanted him, they could have had him.

Coppy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2011, 08:30 AM
thelos
Bunk

Versteeg would not be getting top line, top PP time here so 3.1 mil for a 3rd line winger was expendable

thelos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2011, 09:34 AM
DUHockey9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serge11 View Post
Versteeg would not be getting top line, top PP time here so 3.1 mil for a 3rd line winger was expendable
Exactly.

Versteeg was never going to get the same opportunities here as he is getting in Florida. He makes fairly substantial money, and didn't play well in his short time here. All told, it made sense to move him.

I love how the OP criticizes many for judging Versteeg on his play during his short stay here, yet he praises Versteeg for his play during his short stay in Florida...hmmmmm?

DUHockey9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2011, 09:48 AM
Larry44
FlyersTankNation

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUHockey9 View Post
Exactly.

Versteeg was never going to get the same opportunities here as he is getting in Florida. He makes fairly substantial money, and didn't play well in his short time here. All told, it made sense to move him.

I love how the OP criticizes many for judging Versteeg on his play during his short stay here, yet he praises Versteeg for his play during his short stay in Florida...hmmmmm?
Versteeg was a 3rd line winger on Chicago. He played well against other team's 3rd lines, but he couldn't play well up higher in the rotation in Toronto and he was 3RW in Philly too.

He is only making $3.1M because of Tallon's RFA qualifying error - he had to sign a few guys he screwed up on to prevent them from walking UFA - and in the end all of them got traded from Chicago after the Cup (Versteeg, Barker, Byfgulien and Ladd, IIRC?).

Given Jagr is our #1RW, and we got two good young bigger, faster RWs - Voracek and Simmonds - in the culture change deals, there was never going to be room or ice time for Versteeg on the Flyers, esp. at his salary.

We'll see if he can keep up the scoring pace as teams focus on his line. Good luck to him, but I like our team a LOT better without him.

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2011, 10:00 AM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coppy View Post
They wouldn't include Voynov but they would include Schenn (the leauges top prospect) and Simmonds (who we were told for two years was untouchable because of how much Lombardi liked him)? My guess is the Flyers insisted the deal be structured around Schenn. Once that happened the King's said they would be unwilling to give up both Schenn and Voynov. Or if they were willing, it would have required the Flyers to give up additional assets to get both. My point is, if the Flyers really wanted him, they could have had him.
Of course the Mike Richards deal would have been done around Brayden Schenn. He was thier number one prospect. Voynov was thier number 2 prospect behind him and they probably didn't want to include him. And GM's of course loves thier players they draft, thats why they draft them. You have to give to get in a trade like this and I heard that Voynov was not going the other way if Schenn was in the deal. For the bold, how can someone actually make that statement? Voynov was not available.

Old
12-07-2011, 10:03 AM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
I heard that he was most certainly available in the Richards trade. After the season started though and he showed what he can do @ the NHL level, that's when he became untouchable.

No way to know for sure, but...
The only logic I can say here is that the Flyers decided to take what? Simmonds and a second over Voynov or the second rounder over Voynov. I just remember reports that Voynov was and never was available at anytime.

I believe the only way Voynov was available is if the deal was centered around him and not Schenn.

Last edited by Prongo: 12-07-2011 at 10:42 AM.
Old
12-07-2011, 11:22 AM
LePalle

I wanted him to stay here in the offseason, but when he left I was not upset. And I am still not. He wouldn't have those stats if he was still here.

LePalle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2011, 01:43 PM
lancer247

It's not just about putting the most skilled players on the ice. You need players to fill roles. The team was small and turned over the puck way too much. Versteeg was another small forward that was pushed around and was a turnover machine. They needed to add some size and punishing forecheckers. Unfirtunately Simmonds turns over the puck just as much.

lancer247 is offline   Reply With Quote