HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Best Glove brand

Old
12-06-2011, 07:30 PM
GodsARangerFan

vCash: 500
Best Glove brand

So im thinking about some new gloves, any thoughts on Easton Stealth S6? Or any thoughts on just best company for gloves in general?

GodsARangerFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 09:00 PM
Ozz

Whichever you prefer the feel of. I prefer Bauer.

Ozz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 09:24 PM
Eleven
Solid As The Sun

Send a message via ICQ to Eleven Send a message via AIM to Eleven
My kid, his coach and several other boys on his team swear by Eagle.

Eleven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 09:31 PM
wahsnairb

the most comfortable glove for me has always been eagle, but i wore warrior religiously in lacrosse and since they have come over to hockey i tried them and now wear eagles in drop-ins with hacks where i need more protection and warrior franchises in games because i like the feel better.

it is all personal preference. go to a store near you and try some on. don't just put them on your hands, but grab a stick and handle for a bit too.

wahsnairb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2011, 12:10 AM
ATLhockey437

I'd go Eagle, Warrior, Bauer.

ATLhockey437 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2011, 02:12 AM
Pajicz

Send a message via Yahoo to Pajicz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozz View Post
Whichever you prefer the feel of. I prefer Bauer.
This. Personally I prefer Bauer, though I'm currently using Reebok 10k's.

Pajicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2011, 05:21 AM
vapor11

I have the Easton s11's..I think the only difference between the s6 and s11 is the biodry liner..great glove..I have used them 2-3 times a week for about 4 months now and they are holding up good durability wise..I tried on a few at the store and they were the ones that felt the most comfortable without breaking in

vapor11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2011, 08:40 AM
r3cc0s

if you want a glove that you won't be looking for another every time you go to the store...

get something like:

Bauer 4 roll pro, XXXX or One95 if you can find new old stock... or anti-up for the current X60 or TotalOne

Easton - I liked the S17 the best for almost any anatomical glove, and it had a beautiful palm and felt as maneuverable out of the box like any good 4 roll
the SE16, EPRO and S19 are also good... the E-PRO varies, and pro-stock is much better than retail

TPS - R8 & R10 both are 4 roll with good room and basically are ready to go without any break in

CCM - "I" don't like them, but the 4R pro is not bad

Sherwood - T90 is probably their best glove, which is simular to the R8
I have their "older" 9950 PRO and that is my favorite glove... thinnest clarino palm, broke in well, as roomy as a Warrior Franchise Wide in a 14.5 and almost as light as my R8.
Pro stock's can be found new for only $60 for these, and I own 2 pairs

RBK - Anatomical fitting gloves... 7k is nice, 10k is better and they are quite nice as well... just not as nice as the Easton S17 I felt, but on part with the S19
The 9000 series glove, I find is kinda heavy for a ballistic nylon, but its also ready to play and the palm is a nice nash

Eagle - This is what they do, and they do it well...
Even their old stock gloves were well built, and used to all built in Canada
Again though, so you aren't always wanting to get the urge for upgratius... go right up to at least the X72 at least, if not the X95 or PPF or their anatomical "chinese made" Talon
They all very comfortable gloves, and the MSH2 microfiber palm is perhaps the most durable and comfortable.
Most Clarino/Nash, Digital, Leathers (outside of maybe Lamb and Kangaroo) etc... dry crusty and either need a perodic cleaning or just made wet to get the tackyness and transparent feel, where as the MSH2 dries quite soft.
Personally... thin Clarino single layer is where its at for feel though.

Warrior - too many
Eraser Pro is available for pretty cheap, as are the AK27 pro models as they've been replaced
Otherwise, the Franchise glove is the bread and butter MIA glove... only thing is, retail don't have the PU plastic inserts, and I've heard that for some reason their custom gloves with the inserts wear through their ballistic nylon fast.

r3cc0s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2011, 08:59 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Eagle probably has the best build quality. I prefer Bauer because of the fits they offer. I like Warrior and Eagle too but neither fit my hand all that well.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2011, 11:34 AM
r3cc0s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Eagle probably has the best build quality. I prefer Bauer because of the fits they offer. I like Warrior and Eagle too but neither fit my hand all that well.
I would "almost" say that... my PPFs are beauties for sure, but I think anything lower than the PPF/X95 are now shipped to china, and I'm not sure they use the same level of stitching etc...

I think gloves made by Rebellion, Torspo, Fury, Combat (specifically the new Michael Ferland custom gear) and Jofa are a little bit better from what I've seen

wow... okay, I'm a glove *****

Old
12-07-2011, 02:22 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Yeah should amend that to say the NA Eagles are some of the best quality, although the China Eagles still look extremely nice.

Old
12-07-2011, 02:40 PM
ponder

Most mid range and up gloves are fairly well made now, it's really just personal preference in terms of fit and protection. Personally I love the Bauer Vapor fit, very snug feeling in the fingers/upper hand, but flares nicely for great mobility around the wrist. Not necessarily the most protective, but protective enough (I definitely feel slashes and pucks in the various Vapor gloves I've worn, but never broken any bones, knock on wood!).

The extremes in terms of fit would be the wide, boxy, roomy, "traditional" gloves on one end of the spectrum (think 4-rolls from most brands, Warrior Franchises, many Eagle gloves, etc.), with the really tight fitting gloves on the other end of the spectrum (think Bauer TotalOnes, Eagle Talons, Warrior Projekts, etc.). "Anatomical fit" gloves like the Bauer Vapors are sort of a mid point.

ponder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2011, 02:48 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

You really gotta try them on.

For me finger length and cut are key. For some reason if the fingers are too long I can't deal with, nor if the palm material is stretched too tight. For example I can't use any Eagle gloves because the palms are really tight between the thumb and forefinger. Tried three times to use them and never worked. But I can use both Total Ones and 4-Rolls which have opposite fit, because both of them have enough material or give to be able to close the palm.

Another weird one is padding on the inside of the forefinger...if it has too much padding my thumb smacks into the finger and I can't close my hand or grip the stick properly.

And there's cuff length too...I have longer elbow pads and they will smack into my glove cuffs and push them off the hand making it difficult to grip the stick.

I'm picky as hell.

But you should bring elbow pads to the store and try on with them.

Old
12-07-2011, 04:53 PM
r3cc0s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
You really gotta try them on.

For me finger length and cut are key. For some reason if the fingers are too long I can't deal with, nor if the palm material is stretched too tight. For example I can't use any Eagle gloves because the palms are really tight between the thumb and forefinger. Tried three times to use them and never worked. But I can use both Total Ones and 4-Rolls which have opposite fit, because both of them have enough material or give to be able to close the palm.

Another weird one is padding on the inside of the forefinger...if it has too much padding my thumb smacks into the finger and I can't close my hand or grip the stick properly.

And there's cuff length too...I have longer elbow pads and they will smack into my glove cuffs and push them off the hand making it difficult to grip the stick.

I'm picky as hell.

But you should bring elbow pads to the store and try on with them.
you must have to be particular with such big palms...

I like a loose feel with a tacky thin material in the palms... for me, that's clarino, lamb or kangaroo leather and prefered without a palm protecting layer.

I think especially if you wear elbow pads that have extended wrist protectors you need a glove with a wide cuff, and would explain so many pro's like the MIA/Warrior Franchise, RBK 9k, Bauer 4 roll etc...

Old
12-07-2011, 08:13 PM
nystromshairstylist
Puck Control Master

Bauer 4 Rolls...

nystromshairstylist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2011, 08:17 PM
ephmrl
#tanknation

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to ephmrl Send a message via Skype™ to ephmrl
It's all personal preference but i use TPS R10's and Bauer XXV's.

ephmrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2011, 08:22 PM
hitmanjat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajicz View Post
This. Personally I prefer Bauer, though I'm currently using Reebok 10k's.
How do you like the fit of the 10ks? I ordered a used pair online, and tried on the 11k which i am told are almost the same. I am looking for a tighter fitting glove, my old RBK9ks stretched out and are a bit too loose in the hands.

hitmanjat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2011, 11:35 PM
SeenSchenn2
Itchin' For Mitch

I still use these TPS gloves from like 04 (They were big at the time, fit me better now ).

Love them, but they obviously wore down and there's rips. Leaning towards Bauer.

SeenSchenn2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2011, 08:05 AM
shoeshine boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by r3cc0s View Post
Otherwise, the Franchise glove is the bread and butter MIA glove... only thing is, retail don't have the PU plastic inserts, and I've heard that for some reason their custom gloves with the inserts wear through their ballistic nylon fast.
I have 3 pairs of Franchise customs and they've held up beautifully, no problems at all. I also have a few pairs of Eagle PPFs and LOVE those gloves. the MSH2 palm is, imo the best palm ever.

shoeshine boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 11:19 PM
Cattman
Laughing Skulls HC

I tried on some Bauer Total One gloves tonight. They felt great, until I looked at the price tag! I like the way that they felt tighter in the hand than most gloves. Can anyone recommend a similar glove that's maybe a bit cheaper? I'm playing beer league and I'm looking for something comfortable but also durable. I'm wearing Eastons now, and the palm is wearing out.

Thanks!

Cattman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 11:24 PM
AIREAYE

One40s? One60s? One80s?

AIREAYE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 11:27 PM
ReverendAlBundy
Loungetown mortician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattman View Post
I tried on some Bauer Total One gloves tonight. They felt great, until I looked at the price tag! I like the way that they felt tighter in the hand than most gloves. Can anyone recommend a similar glove that's maybe a bit cheaper? I'm playing beer league and I'm looking for something comfortable but also durable. I'm wearing Eastons now, and the palm is wearing out.

Thanks!
Go to your nearest NHL team's pro shop and you should be able to find a pair of quality gloves for no more than 60 dollars. I swear by Warrior franchises or Easton SE6s.

ReverendAlBundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 09:26 AM
AIREAYE

The Franchises and SE6s are much wider and roomier than the T1s.

AIREAYE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 10:24 AM
thedonger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattman View Post

Thanks!
the '12 warrior projekt and koncept have a pretty tight fit.

thedonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 10:39 AM
sanityplease

Reebok 9k-11k, if you like a 'fitted' feel. The movement range & flex-cuff is perfect IMHO, it's like having no cuff @ all. I've got 11k pro-stocks.

Bauer's (x:'s & apx) are second for me, but I prefer the RBK anatomical 'neutral hand position' fit vs. the bauer tapered fit. I also prefer RBK's longer cuff for protection.

sanityplease is offline   Reply With Quote