HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk > Polls - (hockey-related only)
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

McDonagh vs Subban

View Poll Results: Who would you rather have in your top four?
P.K. Subban 229 42.25%
Ryan McDonagh 313 57.75%
Voters: 542. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-05-2011, 11:32 AM
  #51
HH
GO HABS GO!
 
HH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,300
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by lundy View Post
McD is miles ahead of Subban defensively. If you want an offensive dman, then Subban probably, although McD is having a better offensive season so far.
Watch some Habs games.

HH is offline  
Old
12-05-2011, 12:00 PM
  #52
Claimed Off Waivers
Registered User
 
Claimed Off Waivers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,235
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack DiBiase View Post
I WANNA HAVE BOTH OF THEM!!!
Same here, they'd be a great pairing.

Claimed Off Waivers is offline  
Old
12-05-2011, 12:14 PM
  #53
Net Front Presence
Harvester of Sorrow
 
Net Front Presence's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 6,019
vCash: 800
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryI View Post
Watch some Habs games.
Watch some Rangers games.

See how easy that was?

Net Front Presence is online now  
Old
12-05-2011, 12:19 PM
  #54
SeenSchenn2
Have Faith GLG
 
SeenSchenn2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Thornhill, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,713
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uber Coca View Post
Subban being poor defensively is your opinion, but judging by your lack of argument on the subject, it also shows how uninformed you are about his play and how flawed your evaluation is. That's my opinion.
Uninformed?

I've watched plenty of Habs games. I can remember ENOUGH times where he's out of position. That's not a knock on him, it happens to every young defenseman.

I just don't think he's as godly as you guys' think he is on defense. Rangers fans will preach it with me.

SeenSchenn2 is offline  
Old
12-05-2011, 12:37 PM
  #55
wej20
Registered User
 
wej20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Swansea,UK
Country: Wales
Posts: 21,769
vCash: 500
Subban, may not be playing better right now but his upside is much bigger.

wej20 is offline  
Old
12-05-2011, 02:16 PM
  #56
nafsregnar27
Registered User
 
nafsregnar27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Central California
Country: United States
Posts: 478
vCash: 500
McDonagh plus he is definitely more likable. That is not to say Subban is a bad D-man but if I want protect a lead or want to recover a turnover puck, I would go with McD.

nafsregnar27 is offline  
Old
12-05-2011, 04:18 PM
  #57
HH
GO HABS GO!
 
HH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,300
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by B1SHOP View Post
Watch some Rangers games.

See how easy that was?
Did I make a statement saying McDonagh is overrated defensively or miles under Subban?

HH is offline  
Old
12-05-2011, 04:20 PM
  #58
HH
GO HABS GO!
 
HH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,300
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeenSchenn2 View Post
Uninformed?

I've watched plenty of Habs games. I can remember ENOUGH times where he's out of position. That's not a knock on him, it happens to every young defenseman.

I just don't think he's as godly as you guys' think he is on defense. Rangers fans will preach it with me.
You are wrong though.

The Habs have stayed above water with half their defense injured thanks to Subban and Gorges.

Thanks for trying though.

HH is offline  
Old
12-05-2011, 04:27 PM
  #59
TheGoalJudge
Registered User
 
TheGoalJudge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 3,064
vCash: 500
Subban isn't even allowed to skate the puck up the ice under Martin lol. Half his game is taken away right off the start.

TheGoalJudge is offline  
Old
12-05-2011, 04:28 PM
  #60
ZacUSNYR
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Upstate, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 748
vCash: 500
Imagine if Montreal had both lol

ZacUSNYR is offline  
Old
12-05-2011, 06:23 PM
  #61
TripleLow5
Registered User
 
TripleLow5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 41
vCash: 500
Lmao love how everyone says Subban is bad defensively, reason why we are at .500 is cause of Subban and Gorges. Rest (besides Gill) are rookies in this league.

TripleLow5 is offline  
Old
12-05-2011, 06:49 PM
  #62
GAGLine
Registered User
 
GAGLine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 9,313
vCash: 500
I know most people don't put much stock into plus/minus, but I just heard an interesting stat on the Ranger pregame. McDonagh has played 63 games in the NHL and he is a +28. Make of that what you will, but remember that he is playing 25+ minutes a night and has yet to play a full season in the NHL.

GAGLine is offline  
Old
12-06-2011, 12:49 AM
  #63
TripleLow5
Registered User
 
TripleLow5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 41
vCash: 500
Subban and Gorges have been a big reason why this defense squad has stayed intact...

TripleLow5 is offline  
Old
12-06-2011, 03:25 AM
  #64
ponder
Registered User
 
ponder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,787
vCash: 500
Tough one. Subban is a simply fantastic skater, but I think McDonagh might be an even better skater. Both totally elite skaters, regardless. Subban is not bad at all in his own zone, but McDonagh is better positionally, and plays a more mistake free game in general. Subban is stronger and more physical, brings that agitator edge to his game, and has a bigger shot. Subban has also stepped it up in the playoffs more so than McDonagh so far, though it's pretty early to talk about either's playoff careers.

I'm gonna go with Subban by a hair overall, but it's certainly close. Would love to have either guy on the Leafs (actually, I'd say that Subban and Phaneuf play similar styles, as do McDonagh and Gardiner, but regardless, who definitely love to have either one).

ponder is offline  
Old
12-06-2011, 04:20 AM
  #65
YogiCanucks
Registered User
 
YogiCanucks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Vancouver BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,445
vCash: 500
Ryan McDonagh is pretty solid defensively. But I'd have to take Subban because he's got a rare skillset that's hard to find.

YogiCanucks is offline  
Old
12-06-2011, 06:29 AM
  #66
Eaglepride*
#5 in Wotan we trust
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Promiseland Walhalla
Posts: 3,503
vCash: 500
Ryan Donagh by a ****ing country mile

Eaglepride* is offline  
Old
12-06-2011, 12:05 PM
  #67
Turtleneck Plek
Real Life
 
Turtleneck Plek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,130
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadLuke View Post
That Subban is not at the level I was seeing him this year from what I saw last year.

I was thinking that Subban will be the most used defencemen every night this season, and yet Diaz play a lot more of minute than him the last 2 games.
Diaz has gotten more icetime because Martin wants to rest the first pairing of Gorges and Subban sometimes.They log on ridiculous minutes almost every night and sometimes, when we're playing well, he'll let other D's, such as Diaz, get a little bit more icetime.

As for this poll, hard to say. Obviously, McDonagh is the easy choice right now as he's having a better season than Subban. However, the claims that McDo is highly superior defensively to Subban are really underselling Subban's defensive game. People are quick to remember his 2-3 costly blunders, but apart from that, he's been great defensively. It's gotten to the point where most people on the Habs board praise his defensive play and critic his offensive play.

Obviously, as a Habs fan, I'm leaning towards Subban just because he has a game-breaking ability that I haven't seen in McDonagh. However, they are very close to one-another and will probably be for the rest of their careers, which will lead to many more discussions about Gainey's terrible Gomez trade. Just thinking of a McDo-Subban pairing makes me very mad. Gainey

Turtleneck Plek is offline  
Old
12-06-2011, 03:53 PM
  #68
ephmrl
#tanknation
 
ephmrl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Victoria, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,968
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to ephmrl Send a message via Skype™ to ephmrl
Subban, easily.

ephmrl is offline  
Old
12-06-2011, 06:19 PM
  #69
Dharvey33
Registered User
 
Dharvey33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 2,956
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeenSchenn2 View Post
Uninformed?

I've watched plenty of Habs games. I can remember ENOUGH times where he's out of position. That's not a knock on him, it happens to every young defenseman.

I just don't think he's as godly as you guys' think he is on defense. Rangers fans will preach it with me.
Leafs fans thinkin gardiner is better than Subban must be most hilarious statement ever.

I'd like to know opinions of hockey fans and not just fans of their teams (which i call homer) to respond frankly. Two players i would compare Mcdonagh and Subban would actually the two kings dman Johnson and Doughty

Subban is indeed playing a rather similar game as Doughty and when he is on can bring a huge spark offensively and can bring it on in the d zone also. Great hands great shots big body but can sometimes be catch out of position. I'm not saying Subban is at the same level as Doughty just comparing their play style.


Mcdonagh is more of a Jack Johnson plays a responsible two way game can contribute on the offensive end good shot good first pass good skater. But hasn't got the same offensive skills or skating abilities than Doughty or Subban for Mcdonagh and is not a game changer(or rarely) like Subban or Doughty can be with a great play.


So Doughty is better than Johnson but he is not miles ahead of him so i think it,s rather the same for Subban and Mcdonagh Subban is the better player because of the dynamism the outstanding skating abilities and the great hands he has.

The bottom line is Doughty Johnson is a great defensive pair and so would be Mcdonagh and Subban it,s a real shame we traded him for Gomer pile.


So Subban for me but you are not out of luck with Mcdonagh.


Please watch Subban before saying he is a liability in his own zone. Guy makes mistakes but manages almost all the time to arrange it by a strong play.

Dharvey33 is offline  
Old
12-06-2011, 07:21 PM
  #70
iamitter
Thornton's Hen
 
iamitter's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 3,382
vCash: 500
Jack Johnson is essentially a PP specialist. I don't understand how you can compare him to McDonagh - their styles are different. If Subban's style is a la Doughty, McDonagh's is a la Suter.

iamitter is offline  
Old
12-06-2011, 07:32 PM
  #71
Stjonnypopo
Rgesitreed Uesr
 
Stjonnypopo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Mount Doom
Posts: 10,709
vCash: 500
Though I agree that Both McDonagh and Subban are both great players, I have a feeling that McDonagh won votes here out of default because Subban is generally disliked.

Just an idea.

Stjonnypopo is offline  
Old
12-06-2011, 09:42 PM
  #72
Ih8theislanders
Full-kit ****ers
 
Ih8theislanders's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Bronx,NY
Country: United States
Posts: 13,568
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stjonnypopo View Post
Though I agree that Both McDonagh and Subban are both great players, I have a feeling that McDonagh won votes here out of default because Subban is generally disliked.

Just an idea.
By that token, Subban got a lot of votes because there are many more Montreal fans on HF than Ranger fans. It would be hard to compare votes like that.



Subban is better offensively than McDonagh. McDonagh is better defensively than Subban. I think McDonagh's offensive game is a little closer to Subban's than Subban's defensive game is to McD's. Not by far, by just a little bit. I'd be very happy with either, slight preference to McD.

Ih8theislanders is offline  
Old
12-06-2011, 09:52 PM
  #73
Krampus
Call me Nils
 
Krampus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: NYC
Country: Austria
Posts: 17,868
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stjonnypopo View Post
Though I agree that Both McDonagh and Subban are both great players, I have a feeling that McDonagh won votes here out of default because Subban is generally disliked.

Just an idea.
As the other guy said, Subban won some votes, because this website is like half Habs fans

Krampus is offline  
Old
12-06-2011, 11:12 PM
  #74
Fearless Leaf*
Playiffs 2013!!!!!
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Markham and Lawrence
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,282
vCash: 500
Subban hands down. McDonagh is a solid top 4 d-man but he tends to get overrated around here quite a bit by his fan base a la Gardiner with Leafs fans.

Fearless Leaf* is offline  
Old
12-06-2011, 11:15 PM
  #75
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Long Island
Posts: 8,167
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lupes View Post
Subban hands down. McDonagh is a solid top 4 d-man but he tends to get overrated around here quite a bit by his fan base a la Gardiner with Leafs fans.
Hands down. Give me a break. And he's going to be more than a solid top 4

Puckface NYR* is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:02 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.