HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

TSN: New Four Conference Format Next Year

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-06-2011, 04:27 PM
  #126
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater
 
Ziggy Stardust's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Parts Unknown
Posts: 28,624
vCash: 500
A wild card series to end the season to determine the final two playoff spots would between two Conferences would make a lot of sense.

If there is a two to one point separation between a number of teams by the start of April, maybe have games set aside on the schedule to have a wild card series to determine a tie-breaker and finalize the 7th and 8th playoff seeds.

Ziggy Stardust is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 04:28 PM
  #127
nocturn
Registered User
 
nocturn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Col. Hgts, Virginny
Country: Ireland
Posts: 857
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by agentfouser View Post
The "Crosby" and "Ovechkin" divisions seem more likely, since it would support the league's desperate attempt to manufacture superstars and rivalries.
Right. Versus has done a fantastic job of promoting the National Crosby League. Just about every telecast starts off with the "Where is Crosby tonight?"

I...*gulp*....agree with Milbury.

nocturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 04:54 PM
  #128
PSP
Couldn't Be Happier!
 
PSP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Lake Forest, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 4,266
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
A wild card series to end the season to determine the final two playoff spots would between two Conferences would make a lot of sense.

If there is a two to one point separation between a number of teams by the start of April, maybe have games set aside on the schedule to have a wild card series to determine a tie-breaker and finalize the 7th and 8th playoff seeds.
A wild card system wouldn't really solve anything. Last season both Dallas and Calgary had more points than the Rangers and didn't make the playoffs. The previous season, 3 Western teams had more points than the 7th and 8th seed Eastern teams. It happens almost every season - the playoffs are not among the top 16 teams in the league, but the top 8 in each conference, then the winners play in the Finals.

The whole point of having the first 2 rounds played within the 7 or 8 team division (calling them conferences is dumb) is building rivalries and finding out which team is the strongest playing the same schedule.

PSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 05:04 PM
  #129
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 15,433
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSP View Post
A wild card system wouldn't really solve anything. Last season both Dallas and Calgary had more points than the Rangers and didn't make the playoffs. The previous season, 3 Western teams had more points than the 7th and 8th seed Eastern teams. It happens almost every season - the playoffs are not among the top 16 teams in the league, but the top 8 in each conference, then the winners play in the Finals.

The whole point of having the first 2 rounds played within the 7 or 8 team division (calling them conferences is dumb) is building rivalries and finding out which team is the strongest playing the same schedule.
Honestly, I think the real point of the conference playoff scheme in the first two rounds is to make sure that teams like Detroit won't have their playoff road games starting at 10pm for the TV audience back home.

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 05:20 PM
  #130
Wildturkey12
Do It!
 
Wildturkey12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: L.A.
Country: United States
Posts: 1,334
vCash: 648
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingsKnight View Post
Found this map helpful. It's interesting how they split up Conference C with the Florida teams. I wonder if it's to preserve certain rivalries in the NE.

The two Florida teams makes no sense to me. I would move Columbus and the Islanders to the Northern conferece and split up the Florida teams.

Wildturkey12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 05:46 PM
  #131
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater
 
Ziggy Stardust's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Parts Unknown
Posts: 28,624
vCash: 500
For the Conference names, I figure that they won't go back to the Smythe, Norris, Adams, and Patrick names that were last used in 92-93. They'll likely go with more familiar names that are more recognizable.



Each of those players are recognizable names and each Conference is named after a player who played with a team (or teams) in that Conference.

Ziggy Stardust is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 06:04 PM
  #132
Bandit
Registered User
 
Bandit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Country: United States
Posts: 4,299
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
For the Conference names, I figure that they won't go back to the Smythe, Norris, Adams, and Patrick names that were last used in 92-93. They'll likely go with more familiar names that are more recognizable.



Each of those players are recognizable names and each Conference is named after a player who played with a team (or teams) in that Conference.
I guarantee you that "Gretzky" is the only name on that list that *might* be recognizable to anyone who doesn't closely follow hockey. Considering they went with the current geographic names to make it easier to understand for the casual fan in the first place, I doubt we see this change.

Bandit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 06:31 PM
  #133
Kings man 4 life
Registered User
 
Kings man 4 life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Peoples Repub. of CA
Country: United States
Posts: 1,499
vCash: 500
Conference D has no ****ing travel! course its the one with Pitts and Philly

Kings man 4 life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 06:31 PM
  #134
OK Computer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Hollywood
Country: Armenia
Posts: 542
vCash: 500
You guys are insane if you think the NHL will use Smythe/Adams/etc for conference names. Nobody who isn't already a hockey fan has ANY clue who those guys are. It goes against everything the NHL is trying to do. I'm willing to call it a guarantee that we will see Gretzky and Lemieux in there. Casuals are already very familiar with those names.

OK Computer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 06:34 PM
  #135
bobafettish*
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 5,961
vCash: 500
lets just name all conferences crosby: crosby A,B,C,D......

bobafettish* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 06:37 PM
  #136
KingLB
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 6,957
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildturkey12 View Post
The two Florida teams makes no sense to me. I would move Columbus and the Islanders to the Northern conferece and split up the Florida teams.
That breaks the Isle from the other NY teams as well as some other rivals. The Florida teams like it cause now they get a substantial attendance boost when the Canadian cities come to town. (Similar to a lotta "southern" teams)

KingLB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 06:43 PM
  #137
KingPurpleDinosaur
Bandwagon Kings Fan
 
KingPurpleDinosaur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: irvine, ca
Posts: 2,866
vCash: 500
to be honest, I have no idea who those guys are. Heck, I barely know who Rocket Richard is, and tha'ts only becuase I wiki'd him after not knowing who the hell he was

I'm all down for remembering the past, but to do it just for the sake of doing it is silly. It's time to update the memorials with names that people actually recognize and care about.

Considering that they put ads on everything (it's the Chiropractor penalty kill, it's the Mcdonald's minute, it's a Microsoft Power play), I wouldn't be surprised if they named it Budweiser, Tecate, Miller, and Heineken


Last edited by KingPurpleDinosaur: 12-06-2011 at 06:48 PM.
KingPurpleDinosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 06:56 PM
  #138
KingsRule
Registered User
 
KingsRule's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: SoCal
Country: United States
Posts: 2,950
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to KingsRule
Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post
You aren't one of those people that sells their tickets to them, ARE YOU?
haha no, i buy tickets to selected games. no season seats yet

KingsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 07:29 PM
  #139
Wildturkey12
Do It!
 
Wildturkey12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: L.A.
Country: United States
Posts: 1,334
vCash: 648
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLB View Post
That breaks the Isle from the other NY teams as well as some other rivals. The Florida teams like it cause now they get a substantial attendance boost when the Canadian cities come to town. (Similar to a lotta "southern" teams)
I get that they want to keep the natural rivalries but do the Isles really deserve it. They are in the bottom of attendance year after year.

Wildturkey12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 07:49 PM
  #140
RonSwanson*
Gadfly
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Food 'N Stuff
Country: United States
Posts: 8,769
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocWest View Post
Have you guys seen this yet? It's pretty interesting seeing how the travel looks for all the teams. Also, check out the average distance for East 2 Conference, they've got it rough.

I don't understand why the Florida teams are in the division that they are in.

The travel alone makes no sense. Why have Carolina in a different division?

RonSwanson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 08:27 PM
  #141
agentfouser
Playoffs?!?!
 
agentfouser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Los Angeles
Country: Ireland
Posts: 2,081
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingPurpleDinosaur View Post
to be honest, I have no idea who those guys are. Heck, I barely know who Rocket Richard is, and tha'ts only becuase I wiki'd him after not knowing who the hell he was

I'm all down for remembering the past, but to do it just for the sake of doing it is silly. It's time to update the memorials with names that people actually recognize and care about.

Considering that they put ads on everything (it's the Chiropractor penalty kill, it's the Mcdonald's minute, it's a Microsoft Power play), I wouldn't be surprised if they named it Budweiser, Tecate, Miller, and Heineken
I was thinking that exact thing. I'll be happy with any names that aren't some company. The LAST thing I was to see the the "Budweiser NHL Carl's Jr. Western Conference" on some nonsense. And I never really understood how that was any kind of effective advertising. Sure, it "builds the brand," but to even afford some major naming right like that you have to be a huge company already. Does calling Staples Center that actually encourage anyone to shop there?

agentfouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 11:31 PM
  #142
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar
 
kingsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Manitoba, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,721
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post
NO! Too soon for Gretzky or Lemieux IMO.



You aren't one of those people that sells their tickets to them, ARE YOU?
COnsidering they retired his jersey right across the league, it's never to early for Gretzky.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocWest View Post
Have you guys seen this yet? It's pretty interesting seeing how the travel looks for all the teams. Also, check out the average distance for East 2 Conference, they've got it rough.

This makes the Lightning and Panthers inclusion with the teams like Toronto, etc. all the more baffling. They have the top two average travel distances in the league. Unless they wanted that so they could get Toronto, etc. in to their building more often.

And for the "NHL hates LA" conspirarists, the Kings have the lowest average travel distance of any of the teams in our conference.


Last edited by kingsfan: 12-06-2011 at 11:38 PM.
kingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 11:41 PM
  #143
Sydor25
LA Kings
 
Sydor25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: North Texas
Country: United States
Posts: 21,829
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Kings should be in the "In-n-Out" conference.

Sydor25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2011, 12:05 AM
  #144
DocWest
Knee Specialist
 
DocWest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Los Angeles
Country: United States
Posts: 7,322
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydor25 View Post
Kings should be in the "In-n-Out" conference.
No, that's the name of their postseason.

DocWest is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2011, 12:09 AM
  #145
I am the Liquor
Registered User
 
I am the Liquor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Sunnyvale
Country: Canada
Posts: 33,826
vCash: 3099
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydor25 View Post
Kings should be in the "In-n-Out" conference.
Because that describes their playoff experiences every year?

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2011, 12:17 AM
  #146
DocWest
Knee Specialist
 
DocWest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Los Angeles
Country: United States
Posts: 7,322
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Because that describes their playoff experiences every year?
That's what I meant to write. I'm so pissed off about that loss that I botched the joke.

DocWest is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2011, 12:28 AM
  #147
I am the Liquor
Registered User
 
I am the Liquor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Sunnyvale
Country: Canada
Posts: 33,826
vCash: 3099
I too would like to see the Kings with a more offensively liberated coach, but I really dont think that's going to happen without a prolonged losing streak.

Keep in mind he could always be replaced by someone worse, or at the very least, very similar. It does look like the Pacific is there for the taking this year though. It would be a damn shame to just creep into the 6,7,8 spot just to be mauled by one of the top teams in the conference.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2011, 12:36 AM
  #148
Sydor25
LA Kings
 
Sydor25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: North Texas
Country: United States
Posts: 21,829
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Because that describes their playoff experiences every year?
No, that's "One and done".

Get it right.

Sydor25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2011, 12:38 AM
  #149
Sydor25
LA Kings
 
Sydor25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: North Texas
Country: United States
Posts: 21,829
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
I too would like to see the Kings with a more offensively liberated coach, but I really dont think that's going to happen without a prolonged losing streak.

Keep in mind he could always be replaced by someone worse, or at the very least, very similar. It does look like the Pacific is there for the taking this year though. It would be a damn shame to just creep into the 6,7,8 spot just to be mauled by one of the top teams in the conference.
Well, at least a new coach couldn't get the Kings into a worst offensive position.

Kings are now officially 30th in the NHL on offense.

Sydor25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2011, 12:53 AM
  #150
I am the Liquor
Registered User
 
I am the Liquor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Sunnyvale
Country: Canada
Posts: 33,826
vCash: 3099
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydor25 View Post
Well, at least a new coach couldn't get the Kings into a worst offensive position.

Kings are now officially 30th in the NHL on offense.

I see that. But they are also fourth in GA.

So its not like the door handle fell off the outhouse door.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:35 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.