HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk > Polls - (hockey-related only)

McDonagh vs Subban

View Poll Results: Who would you rather have in your top four?
P.K. Subban 229 42.25%
Ryan McDonagh 313 57.75%
Voters: 542. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
12-06-2011, 10:20 PM
Fearless Leaf*
Playiffs 2013!!!!!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dharvey33 View Post
Leafs fans thinkin gardiner is better than Subban must be most hilarious statement ever.

I'd like to know opinions of hockey fans and not just fans of their teams (which i call homer) to respond frankly. Two players i would compare Mcdonagh and Subban would actually the two kings dman Johnson and Doughty

Subban is indeed playing a rather similar game as Doughty and when he is on can bring a huge spark offensively and can bring it on in the d zone also. Great hands great shots big body but can sometimes be catch out of position. I'm not saying Subban is at the same level as Doughty just comparing their play style.

Mcdonagh is more of a Jack Johnson plays a responsible two way game can contribute on the offensive end good shot good first pass good skater. But hasn't got the same offensive skills or skating abilities than Doughty or Subban for Mcdonagh and is not a game changer(or rarely) like Subban or Doughty can be with a great play.

So Doughty is better than Johnson but he is not miles ahead of him so i think it,s rather the same for Subban and Mcdonagh Subban is the better player because of the dynamism the outstanding skating abilities and the great hands he has.

The bottom line is Doughty Johnson is a great defensive pair and so would be Mcdonagh and Subban it,s a real shame we traded him for Gomer pile.

So Subban for me but you are not out of luck with Mcdonagh.

Please watch Subban before saying he is a liability in his own zone. Guy makes mistakes but manages almost all the time to arrange it by a strong play.
U can't be serious. right? Jack Johnson is tremendous in offensive abilities but the guy is literally an immature when it comes to being responsible defensively. Mcdonagh is a defence first type of guy who takes his responsibilities very well defensively and can add offensive flair here and there when needed.

Although, that won't change my decision with picking Subban as he is far better offensively, above average defensively and better Physically by a small margin.

Old
12-07-2011, 07:20 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

The Habs made a mistake in the McDonagh trade no doubt about it and he is playing very well but he isn't better than PK

Old
12-07-2011, 07:34 AM
Fearless Leaf*
Playiffs 2013!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckface NYR View Post
Hands down. Give me a break. And he's going to be more than a solid top 4
McDonagh at best will be a borderline #2 on an bottom feeding team, and PK on the other hand with his game- breaking abilities and dynamic offense will make a decent #1 in the future. McDonagh is nothing more than top 4 d-man at the moment unless your team is Rangers.

Old
12-07-2011, 10:21 AM
Pugs35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lupes View Post
McDonagh at best will be a borderline #2 on an bottom feeding team, and PK on the other hand with his game- breaking abilities and dynamic offense will make a decent #1 in the future. McDonagh is nothing more than top 4 d-man at the moment unless your team is Rangers.
I don't see how you can say McDonagh will be at best a No. 2 on a bottom feeder when he's been a No. 2 on a top 5 team thus far this year and playing great. Yeah, it's only been 25 games but he's doing it exceptionally well.

I don't disagree about the game-breaking abilities aspect, but to take a shot at the Rangers defense when they're something like top 5 in GA this year doesnt really make any sense to me.

Old
12-07-2011, 01:24 PM

Lol at all of the arguments that the habs fans are making by saying the PK is being Underrated and that McD is being overrated. Maybe PK is being overrated and McD is being underrated. See how easy it was to make that argument! How about we just end this since clearly both fan bases are not going to back down on there own player!

Old
12-07-2011, 03:58 PM
Tanner Glass
Call me Nils

vCash: 50
Quote:
You're saying the Rangers defense is bad...

There is a reason McDonagh was picked before Subban. Personally, I would call scoring a winning goal with 2 seconds left game breaking.

Btw, McDonagh would be #1 on the Habs right now

Old
12-07-2011, 06:34 PM
HeliDevil
Legendary

it hurts for me to say it but it's mcdonagh. i like pk better though.

Old
12-08-2011, 01:00 AM
Slick Eller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bipolar View Post
You're saying the Rangers defense is bad...

There is a reason McDonagh was picked before Subban. Personally, I would call scoring a winning goal with 2 seconds left game breaking.

Btw, McDonagh would be #1 on the Habs right now
Btw no he wouldn't be.

Old
12-08-2011, 01:14 AM
ChrisKreider20
Oh Hai Guise

This is really dumb. I don't really know how people can say McDonagh would drop big time on another team.
You guys do realize McDonagh is on pace for 40+ points while playing excellent defense.
He is a #2 on the second best defense in the NHL (only Boston has let in less goals).
No question McDonagh is currently better than Subban. The only thing that would make Montreal hold onto him is because of his skill set. Subban's flashiness and skill gives Habs fans the hope he could be a Superstar.

Old
12-08-2011, 01:17 AM
ChrisKreider20
Oh Hai Guise

Quote:
Yeah,
McDonagh could arguably crack the Leafs top 2.

The only guy who has been better than him has been Phaneuf.

Everyone else McDonagh has been better than. Whether he would or not displace those players there is no question that he has been better than most of the Leaf's defense. This isn't even mentioning that NY has been a better team than Toronto. Therefore, its hogwash that he is only a "top 4".

Old
12-08-2011, 01:34 AM
TheNorthFace
Mo and Willy

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRfan68 View Post
Yeah,
McDonagh could arguably crack the Leafs top 2.

The only guy who has been better than him has been Phaneuf.

Everyone else McDonagh has been better than. Whether he would or not displace those players there is no question that he has been better than most of the Leaf's defense. This isn't even mentioning that NY has been a better team than Toronto. Therefore, its hogwash that he is only a "top 4".
Very arguable. McDonagh has been awesome this year however it's a very small sample size to go by to bump anyone of our top four from their current spots. It says a lot when we have Liles playing on our third pairing.

As for McDonagh or Subban. It's a toss up and if you couldn't guess I'm not exactly a fan of Subban, but talent is talent. They'll both likely be first pairing defenders.

Last edited by TheNorthFace: 12-08-2011 at 01:40 AM.
Old
12-08-2011, 02:03 AM
Slick Eller

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRfan68 View Post
This is really dumb. I don't really know how people can say McDonagh would drop big time on another team.
You guys do realize McDonagh is on pace for 40+ points while playing excellent defense.
He is a #2 on the second best defense in the NHL (only Boston has let in less goals).
No question McDonagh is currently better than Subban. The only thing that would make Montreal hold onto him is because of his skill set. Subban's flashiness and skill gives Habs fans the hope he could be a Superstar.
No, he actually played like a superstar 40 games last year in the second half + playoffs. Played at a higher level than Mcdonagh did and for a longer time.

What have you done for me lately bro?

Old
12-08-2011, 11:21 AM
ChrisKreider20
Oh Hai Guise

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNorthFace View Post
Very arguable. McDonagh has been awesome this year however it's a very small sample size to go by to bump anyone of our top four from their current spots. It says a lot when we have Liles playing on our third pairing.

As for McDonagh or Subban. It's a toss up and if you couldn't guess I'm not exactly a fan of Subban, but talent is talent. They'll both likely be first pairing defenders.
Agreed. It's definitely arguable. However, the other guy saying only top 2 on a bottom feeder was dumb.

Old
12-08-2011, 11:26 AM
Bruinsfan_37
Stanley Cup Champs

McDonagh

Old
12-08-2011, 12:12 PM
ColonialsHockey10

McDonagh.

He'd be the Habs #1 defenseman right now, as much as it pains their fans to hear it.

There's no way this poll is going to get fair results with McDonagh circumstances.

Old
12-08-2011, 12:15 PM
ColonialsHockey10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dharvey33 View Post
Leafs fans thinkin gardiner is better than Subban must be most hilarious statement ever.

I'd like to know opinions of hockey fans and not just fans of their teams (which i call homer) to respond frankly. Two players i would compare Mcdonagh and Subban would actually the two kings dman Johnson and Doughty

Subban is indeed playing a rather similar game as Doughty and when he is on can bring a huge spark offensively and can bring it on in the d zone also. Great hands great shots big body but can sometimes be catch out of position. I'm not saying Subban is at the same level as Doughty just comparing their play style.

Mcdonagh is more of a Jack Johnson plays a responsible two way game can contribute on the offensive end good shot good first pass good skater. But hasn't got the same offensive skills or skating abilities than Doughty or Subban for Mcdonagh and is not a game changer(or rarely) like Subban or Doughty can be with a great play.

So Doughty is better than Johnson but he is not miles ahead of him so i think it,s rather the same for Subban and Mcdonagh Subban is the better player because of the dynamism the outstanding skating abilities and the great hands he has.

The bottom line is Doughty Johnson is a great defensive pair and so would be Mcdonagh and Subban it,s a real shame we traded him for Gomer pile.

So Subban for me but you are not out of luck with Mcdonagh.

Please watch Subban before saying he is a liability in his own zone. Guy makes mistakes but manages almost all the time to arrange it by a strong play.
Lol what a retarded post. One of the worst comparisons I've ever seen.

Old
12-08-2011, 03:47 PM
habs_24x

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonialsHockey10 View Post
McDonagh.

He'd be the Habs #1 defenseman right now, as much as it pains their fans to hear it.

There's no way this poll is going to get fair results with McDonagh circumstances.
Youre right, the results arent fair...Theres no way on Gods green earth that Mcdo is better than Subban yet the poll says he is... Looks like Habs hate to me.

Old
12-08-2011, 04:28 PM
Screw You Rick Nash
🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨

vCash: 3000
Delete post.

-.+++++++++++++.-------.--.+++++++++++++.+.>+.>.

New and improved Hockey Standings
"A jimmie for a jimmie makes the whole world rustled." -31-

Last edited by Screw You Rick Nash: 12-08-2011 at 04:55 PM.
Old
12-08-2011, 04:43 PM
Claimed Off Waivers

Quote:
Originally Posted by habs_24x View Post
Youre right, the results arent fair...Theres no way on Gods green earth that Mcdo is better than Subban yet the poll says he is... Looks like Habs hate to me.
It's only by 4 votes and most of the people voting in this poll are Habs and Rangers fans, so of course they're gonna vote for their guy. I think it's way to early to tell who will have a better career. That said, McDonagh would fit Subban like a glove, they'd be an awesome pairing.

Old
12-08-2011, 04:50 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

vCash: 566
One of these two are regressing while the other is progressing and I chose the latter. McD has shown his HockeyIQ is way high and he's using that now to take his already solid defensive game into offensive chances. Subban can skate just as well and he's got solid skills, but he focuses too much on being a pest like Sean Avery which in turn distracts himself from his game on the ice. Focus more on playing hockey and he'd be a better player.

McDonagh has filled the void of Marc Staal, I don't think Subban does that.

Old
12-08-2011, 10:51 PM
tavehockey123*

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipernsx View Post
One of these two are regressing while the other is progressing and I chose the latter. McD has shown his HockeyIQ is way high and he's using that now to take his already solid defensive game into offensive chances. Subban can skate just as well and he's got solid skills, but he focuses too much on being a pest like Sean Avery which in turn distracts himself from his game on the ice. Focus more on playing hockey and he'd be a better player.

McDonagh has filled the void of Marc Staal, I don't think Subban does that.
After taking the advice of some McDonagh fanboys, I watched the most recent couple games he has played. And without a question, PK Subban is the better defenseman. McdDonagh quite frankly looked like an AHL defenseman tonight against Tampa. He was directly responsible for both goals against(not counting the fact that the 2nd goal was very weak on Lundqvist), and didnt really look like he belonged on the ice with Kessel and Lupol in the Toronto game.

Old
12-08-2011, 11:23 PM
Richards to Gaborik

Quote:
Originally Posted by tavehockey123 View Post
After taking the advice of some McDonagh fanboys, I watched the most recent couple games he has played. And without a question, PK Subban is the better defenseman. McdDonagh quite frankly looked like an AHL defenseman tonight against Tampa. He was directly responsible for both goals against(not counting the fact that the 2nd goal was very weak on Lundqvist), and didnt really look like he belonged on the ice with Kessel and Lupol in the Toronto game.
You literally watched his two worst games I have ever seen(can't deny that). But you can't judge a player on two games.

So please get back to me when you've watched more than a two game sample size. Also, I know your negativity towards the Rangers, so I can't wait until you somehow manage to make a two game sample turn into a logical opinion about a players overall play.

Old
12-08-2011, 11:29 PM
Ih8theislanders
Full-kit ****ers

Quote:
Originally Posted by habs_24x View Post
Someone claims that a player is better than another player on the Habs: ARGHHHH THEYRE ALL HABS HATERS

Old
12-08-2011, 11:31 PM
tavehockey123*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richards to Gaborik View Post
You literally watched his two worst games I have ever seen(can't deny that). But you can't judge a player on two games.

So please get back to me when you've watched more than a two game sample size. Also, I know your negativity towards the Rangers, so I can't wait until you somehow manage to make a two game sample turn into a logical opinion about a players overall play.
No i get it, you made my point. 2 games is a very small sample size. Inadequate to assess. Yet 24, or 60 total NHL games experience is sufficient enough to call this guy an untouchable or claim he's worth a 40 goal scorer a 2 1st rounders as some Ranger fans have said?

Old
12-08-2011, 11:33 PM
Richards to Gaborik

Quote:
Originally Posted by tavehockey123 View Post
No i get it, you made my point. 2 games is a very small sample size. Inadequate to assess. Yet 24, or 60 total NHL games experience is sufficient enough to call this guy an untouchable or claim he's worth a 40 goal scorer a 2 1st rounders as some Ranger fans have said?
Evidence?

Closed Thread