Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Notices

Traveling to Winnipeg for road trip 1/11-1/13

Old
11-03-2011, 01:22 PM
Tom ServoMST3K
I am Catbug

vCash: 50
Im in the top section, and not sure if i have that game so ill say cheers and give you a virtual beer

Tom ServoMST3K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 03:03 PM
bazaaa*

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheswick View Post
My whole point was Winnipeggers like to brag about the cold like the cold here is not expereinced anywhere else on Earth when it's simply not true. I constantly hear people dimissing -20 as not beign cold cause Winnipeg its -40 all the time. Now thats cold. Like who cares if it gets to -40, -20 is still cold. And the actual temperature rarely gets to -40. The record cold in January is -42C.

-20 really isn't that cold. I mean it's cold, but not unbearable. Once you get to -25 and colder, it's hard to stay outside for a long time, not to mention the wind.

ANd you say you go for walks all the time.... well ya... we're used to it.

Anyways, I don't even know what the point of your thread was besides to say maybe it's not colder here than anywhere else? ANd you like to walk in the cold?

bazaaa* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 03:10 PM
Wonko the Sane
It's you not me.

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auror View Post
I think since everyone's buying AirShark a beer at the game, AirShark has to get a hotel next door. He's going to have a little too many beer in him! lol
Ya, and if his hotel's that close he can go back to his room to avoid the lineups for the bathrooms between periods.

Wonko the Sane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2011, 03:32 PM
JMT21

vCash: 500
Really proud of my fellow Peggers for taking care of AirShark..... full props to PS for getting the guy prime seats.

Enjoy your stay Airshark...... spread the word..... we love the NHL and fans from other cities are more than welcome to share the insanity.

JMT21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 03:55 PM
s1g

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirShark View Post
It looks like Inn at The Forks is the overall champion so far
Make sure you walk over to the Johnston Terminal and try Fergie's Fish and Chips. Make sure you have the pickerel, since it's from Manitoba (although the halibut is great too. So thick, you'd swear it was chicken).

s1g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 03:45 PM
AirShark

Booked!

Our trip is officially booked! Flying in on Wednesday 1/11, flying home Friday afternoon 1/13. Staying at the Inn at The Forks.

Super excited!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AirShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 04:41 PM
mzappa
Jets fans in space

Good for you, Inn @the Forks is awesome in a fantastic location.

Bring your ice skates (or rent), get a crazy carpet for toboganning...

Highly recommend eating in Osborne Village/Corydon areas- lots of great options.

But if you rent a car, watch out for parking on SNOW ROUTES (probably not an issue in Cali). There is a new rule this year when snow routes can be during the day, if its a designated zone time. So don't get towed/ticketed!!

Quote:
Our trip is officially booked! Flying in on Wednesday 1/11, flying home Friday afternoon 1/13. Staying at the Inn at The Forks.

mzappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 04:46 PM
Jet
Chevel-takesadayoff

Quote:

Our top story tonight: a couple of visitors from San Jose were found frozen in a snowbank earlier this morning. It appears they tried to walk from the MTS Centre to their hotel last night after the Jets game wearing shorts and flip flops

12-06-2011, 06:36 PM
George Jetson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet View Post
Our top story tonight: a couple of visitors from San Jose were found frozen in a snowbank earlier this morning. It appears they tried to walk from the MTS Centre to their hotel last night after the Jets game wearing shorts and flip flops
lol

I would make him wearing a sharks jersey but I'm not very good with photoshop

Airshark:

George Jetson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 08:29 PM
ps241
The Danish Dash!

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzappa View Post

Highly recommend eating in Osborne Village/Corydon areas- lots of great options.

But if you rent a car, watch out for parking on SNOW ROUTES (probably not an issue in Cali). There is a new rule this year when snow routes can be during the day, if its a designated zone time. So don't get towed/ticketed!!
GREAT NEWS AirShark!!

On a side note they have skate rentals at the forks and its $4.50 a day so you guys will be covered off on that one!

I am guessing a few of the boys from this board might be up for some pre-game festivities on Thursday as well if you and your cousin are game!

ps241 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 10:15 PM
OthmarAmmann
Money making machine

Quote:
What? How do you know when the "zone times" are? Why is the change from overnight even necessary?

OthmarAmmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 11:19 PM
broinwhyteridge
bro license revoked!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OthmarAmmann View Post
What? How do you know when the "zone times" are? Why is the change from overnight even necessary?
Zone times change depending on whether or not the parking police in your area have met their revenue quotas for the month or not when you leave your car parked.

broinwhyteridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2011, 12:41 AM
Le Golie

Get famous by debunking the 'tongue-on-the-flagpole' myth. Viral Youtube vid if I ever saw one.

Le Golie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2011, 08:04 AM
spicy

AirShark. Make sure you swing by the new MLCC store at the new airport and grab some "antifreeze" from me on the way to the hotel.

Love how amazing winnipeggers can be.

spicy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2011, 08:18 AM
spicy

After reading the last few pages here, fire me a pm on here and I can even bring you 2 some big winter jackets to wear, you can grab em from me at the airport if you would like, as long a you bring em back on the way out.

(when I said MLCC I mean the liquor store on the arrivals floor of the airport. Close to baggage carousel, you can't miss it)

The inn at the forks also has a shuttle from the airport to your hotel, so that will help you a bit as well.

Definitely be able to help you out if you have any other questions as well, as I'm a season ticket holder, employee of the airport, hockey fan, and a friendly manitoban.

Old
12-07-2011, 08:29 AM
ps241
The Danish Dash!

Quote:
Originally Posted by spicy View Post
After reading the last few pages here, fire me a pm on here and I can even bring you 2 some big winter jackets to wear, you can grab em from me at the airport if you would like, as long a you bring em back on the way out.

(when I said MLCC I mean the liquor store on the arrivals floor of the airport. Close to baggage carousel, you can't miss it)

The inn at the forks also has a shuttle from the airport to your hotel, so that will help you a bit as well.

Definitely be able to help you out if you have any other questions as well, as I'm a season ticket holder, employee of the airport, hockey fan, and a friendly manitoban.
on you spicy

Airshark I would take up spicy on his generous offer because the type of coats you will need for the Peg in January are a pain in the a55 to transport and on top of that I am guessing you will not have allot of need for them in California after your trip.

also very sweet to be able to pick them up and drop them off at the airport!!

ps241 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2011, 10:46 AM
Fidel Astro

Quote:

We sure will, thank you. All of that sounds great. My Cousin's girlfriend is a vegan....I think some of that may have rubbed off on him, so fishing may be out.
We have some amazing vegetarian/vegan restaurants here.

Fidel Astro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2011, 10:59 AM
Fidel Astro

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbcwpg View Post
Places to go before the game (my faves at least):
I would just like to point out that while all of those places he mentioned are in very close proximity to the MTS Centre, most of them are of the generic sportsbar/chain-restaurant variety. Nothing wrong with that, but you could probably get something exactly the same back home.

If you're looking for something a little more authentic or different, Winnipeg has an insane amount of fantastic ethnic restaurants and little tucked-away bars and pubs (many of which are downtown), which, to me anyway, would be more of an experience than just going to Boston Pizza or wherever.

If I'm in a new city, I'm not going to eat at McDonald's, if you get what I'm saying.

Also, somebody elsewhere in this thread mentioned outdoor rinks and suggested Robert A. Steen Community Centre. I'm going to have to second that. I grew up on those rinks when I was a kid. It's a great place for playing outdoor hockey. I'd also recommend Sir John Franklin Community Centre, or if you're just looking for recreational skating (not hockey), the Duck Pond at Assiniboine Park. They just renovated it last year (I'm assuming the renos are done in time for skating season this year) and it's a very nice spot.

Assiniboine Park in general should be a must-visit if you're from out of town, as should tobogganing down Garbage Hill (pretty much the only elevated point in the city, a landfill that is now a park.) The side that gets heavy toboggan use tends to turn into straight-up ice pretty quickly, so you can get some excellent speed/potential deadly crash scenarios going on.

Fidel Astro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2011, 06:58 PM
spicy

Airshark,

send me a PM on this site here, and we can set something up. I can have a bunch of info for you guys and some winter jackets (depending on size) depending on when you arrive here.

Regardless of what you do, you will enjoy the surroundings, and i have no doubt that you will leave the city happy.

Hope to hear from you soon,

Brian

Old
12-08-2011, 10:58 PM
tbcwpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidel Astro View Post
I would just like to point out that while all of those places he mentioned are in very close proximity to the MTS Centre, most of them are of the generic sportsbar/chain-restaurant variety. Nothing wrong with that, but you could probably get something exactly the same back home.

If you're looking for something a little more authentic or different, Winnipeg has an insane amount of fantastic ethnic restaurants and little tucked-away bars and pubs (many of which are downtown), which, to me anyway, would be more of an experience than just going to Boston Pizza or wherever.

If I'm in a new city, I'm not going to eat at McDonald's, if you get what I'm saying.

Also, somebody elsewhere in this thread mentioned outdoor rinks and suggested Robert A. Steen Community Centre. I'm going to have to second that. I grew up on those rinks when I was a kid. It's a great place for playing outdoor hockey. I'd also recommend Sir John Franklin Community Centre, or if you're just looking for recreational skating (not hockey), the Duck Pond at Assiniboine Park. They just renovated it last year (I'm assuming the renos are done in time for skating season this year) and it's a very nice spot.

Assiniboine Park in general should be a must-visit if you're from out of town, as should tobogganing down Garbage Hill (pretty much the only elevated point in the city, a landfill that is now a park.) The side that gets heavy toboggan use tends to turn into straight-up ice pretty quickly, so you can get some excellent speed/potential deadly crash scenarios going on.
I wouldn't necessarily go to those places to eat before the game, especially as an out-of-towner, just as places to get a couple of drinks before the game starts and get a lot of the pre-game atmosphere. Sure it's nice to walk around the arena, but you can only walk around the concourse so much. I usually eat at home, but I can see eating at a decent restaurant, THEN going to one of the places I suggested.

tbcwpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2011, 11:33 AM
Chaosmonkey

vCash: 1004
I would suggest grabbing a bite to eat at the Wagon Wheel, be sure to get the clubhouse sandwich.

It is on Hargrave, just north of portage ave.

Chaosmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 11:59 AM
AirShark

Wow, it looks like my thread subscription was messed up and I wasn't getting notification of all of these posts. My mistake.

We're all set to leave tomorrow morning out of Oakland, CA. We'll be getting in to Winnipeg around 1:15PM.

Looks like I have some replying to do.

Old
01-10-2012, 12:01 PM
AirShark

Quote:

No car rental for us. Planning on shuttles/taxis if needed.

I actually have not ice skated since I was a little kid. I probably don't even remember how! I imagine I'd look like a baby doe taking its first steps lol. We'll see how that goes Tobagganing sounds fun.

Old
01-10-2012, 12:02 PM
AirShark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet View Post
You mean a light windbreaker won't cut it? j/k

Old
01-10-2012, 12:04 PM
Tom ServoMST3K
I am Catbug

Quote:
You mean a light windbreaker won't cut it? j/k
Its warm in winnipeg this year, really weird

DAMN YOU GLOBAL WARMING