HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Iginla + for Semin +

Old
12-06-2011, 09:23 PM
birddog*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capsfan12837 View Post
OFF-LIMITS:
1.) Colorado's 1st rounder
2.) Evgeny Kuznetsov
3.) Karl Alzner and John Carlson
4.) Braden Holtby
5.) Dmitri Orlov
6.) Alex Ovechkin and the other stars (excluding Semin).

EVERYTHING ELSE IS FREE GAME.
Off limits - Iginla

What you think Iginla goes for scraps?

birddog* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 09:38 PM
Red Dread

Either way, the Capitals need a type of player like Iginla and the fans are dedicated to the sight of Jarome in a WSH uniform.

Red Dread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 09:42 PM
kihei

vCash: 4651
If I was Washington I wouldn't think of trading Semin for Iginla. Iginla will fetch more than he is worth undoubtedly, but realistically at this stage of his career anything more than a second round draft choice for him will constitute over payment.

kihei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 09:46 PM
Red Dread

Quote:
Originally Posted by kihei View Post
If I was Washington I wouldn't think of trading Semin for Iginla. Iginla will fetch more than he is worth undoubtedly, but realistically at this stage of his career anything more than a second round draft choice for him will constitute over payment.
And let the "flame"-ing begin.

Red Dread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 09:47 PM
DatsyukToZetterberg
Alligator!

vCash: 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobBrown4PM View Post
Brouwer is no Iginla, not even close. Iginla would guarantee Washington a perrenial play-off spot, with ton's of ceiling to it
Lets not act like Iginla is in his mid or early 20s here. He may have 2-4 good years left than he's done. He'll still be able to put up some points but Iginla's game has a lot of wear & tear on the body. Iggy won't guarantee the caps a play-off spot when he is 37 or 38; he'll be a nice complimentary piece for them by then.

DatsyukToZetterberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 09:51 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
If Feaster accepts this, he'll set any rebuild back by years, potentially.

A better trade would be.

To Calgary:

Marcus Johansson
Cody Eakin
Semin - The baggage that comes with this guy will be ridiculous, and plus, he wont resign with Calgary after his contract. These two things combined forces Washington to concede a second prospect to get Iginla
2012 2nd Round Pick

To Washington:

Iginla
John Ramage

Any team, including Washington, is going to have to pay a kings ransom to get Iginla, and for Washington that will have to include 2 good prospects in a position to which Calgary lacks prospects, and that's Centre.
Sorry...Caps can't give up their entire 2nd line for a 35 yr old winger. Back to reality. This isn't Iginla in his prime. It's probably why a trade will never happen. Nobody is going to pay a kings ransom for a 35 year old $7 mil player. Flames will get crucified for trading him unless it's for a monster return, and even then it'll still be taken poorly in Calgary if it were to happen with an incredible return coming back to them.

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 10:00 PM
sunnydaycrash

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCup2012 View Post
Sorry...Caps can't give up their entire 2nd line for a 35 yr old winger. Back to reality. This isn't Iginla in his prime. It's probably why a trade will never happen. Nobody is going to pay a kings ransom for a 35 year old $7 mil player. Flames will get crucified for trading him unless it's for a monster return, and even then it'll still be taken poorly in Calgary if it were to happen with an incredible return coming back to them.
Its a shame Kaberle isn`t with the Leafs anymore....it would`ve been great to see each fanbase fighting over who deserved a bigger return in a trade

sunnydaycrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 10:14 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

I can't say I blame Calgary fans for wanting a kings ransom. He's their heart and soul, their Captain. I just think its foolish to expect at this point in his career.

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 11:07 PM
DropIt

He scored 43 goals last year with Tanguay and Brendan Morrisson as his linemates. Iginla is far from done yet, he will require a big return and for good reason.

DropIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2011, 01:37 AM
Halpysback

Quote:
And then you don't have Iginla. Iginla is exactly what Washington needs.

- Pure dedicated veteran leadership
- Immaculate work ethic
- 40+ Goal Scorer
- 95+ Point Getter
- 1 tough Son of a *****
I may be wrong but I believe this is the year of our lord 2011.

Halpysback is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2011, 03:40 AM
CGYftw

I think if Semin were involved it would only be so that Feaster could flip him at the deadline for another 1st. If Calgary also got either (or both ) Washington's or Colorado's 1st, the deal could end up being 2-3 first round picks (one being what they could get for Semin at the deadline).

If Calgary went into a deep draft such as 2012 is promised to be with 3-4 first round picks (1-2 of them potentially being lottery picks), that would significantly speed up the rebuilding process.

By the sounds of it though, Washington fans aren't willing to part with Colorado's 1st... but either way its gonna take an overpayment to pry Iginla out of Calgary. The only way Feaster even considers trading Iginla is if he's getting back a phenomenal return that will help turn this franchise around relatively fast.

CGYftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2011, 03:48 AM
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows

Just so everyone is clear on this Iginla had more points than anyone on the Caps last year on a woefully bad Flames team.

LickTheEnvelope is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2011, 04:51 AM
MW6

Iginla is a great player and would be a really good fit in Washington, but wingers is NOT what we need.

Assets I can part with for the right return (#2C or top pair D) that might bring some interest from other teams:

Johansson (would need to be a C coming back)
Eakin
Semin
Wsh 1st 2012
Laich (would need to be a C coming back) love him, but he's to expensive for a #3C imo
Green (would need to be a D++ coming back)
Neuvirth
Galiev
Wideman

And I don't like to see ageing rentals coming back. If it's a pending UFA coming back it should be someone we have interest in resigning.
Good fits on D would be: Brad Stuart, Ryan Suter, Tim Gleason, Beauchemin, Carle, Gorges.
If it's up front, I only see Tuomo Ruutu matching my demands

Last edited by MW6: 12-07-2011 at 06:03 AM.
MW6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2011, 07:57 AM
SoupyFIN
Lu ♥

vCash: 50
Quote:
And then you don't have Iginla. Iginla is exactly what Washington needs.

- Pure dedicated veteran leadership
- Immaculate work ethic
- 40+ Goal Scorer
- 95+ Point Getter
- 1 tough Son of a *****
This. Semin and Iginla are the complete opposites on the scale of heart&soul, hence why the pick(s) coming back to Flames are far more important than Semin himself- he is just in the deal to balance the salaries. And hes propably off to the KHL come next year anyway, no way he is getting +6m offers from NHL teams.

Since Caps fans are complaining about Iginla's high salary coming back and Hamrlik's poor performance this year, maybe it would balance the deal if Flames take on Hamrlik's extra year for Sarich who is a UFA after this year? It would help Caps to sign their RFAs next summer..

SoupyFIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2011, 08:30 AM
madmike77

Seems like an awful deal for Calgary. I'm not really sure they're looking for a goalie prospect either with Irving looking fairly solid. I wouldn't put much stock in this rumour.

madmike77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2011, 08:46 AM
IceDaddy
24 and Counting

Ok well first of all its Eklund. Second of all there is no way that the Flames do this. They will not start thier rebuild by getting a guy who will be a UFA. It will be for a crap ton of picks and prospects and maybe a salary dump for cap reasons.

IceDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2011, 08:50 AM
IceDaddy
24 and Counting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capsfan12837 View Post
OFF-LIMITS:
1.) Colorado's 1st rounder
2.) Evgeny Kuznetsov
3.) Karl Alzner and John Carlson
4.) Braden Holtby
5.) Dmitri Orlov
6.) Alex Ovechkin and the other stars (excluding Semin).

EVERYTHING ELSE IS FREE GAME.

So basically you want to get Iginla for a UFA and some scraps??

Keep dreaming.

Semin + 2 of the "offlimits" guys would be a minimum to get Iginla.

IceDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2011, 08:51 AM
pspot

Iginla on the Caps is a great idea

Semin on the Flames not so much

I like the idea of Neuvirth or Holtby that allows the flames to move Kipper
but the problem is the Caps don't have any other top end prospects which Cal would need.

maybe Wsh could move Semin somewhere else for a top prospect and then package them.

Islanders? Strome they desperately need scoring and start winning sooner than later

Something like

Caps get Iggy
NYI get Semin
Cal get Strome, Holtby or Neuvirth and Wsh 1st

pspot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2011, 09:05 AM
madmike77

Quote:
Originally Posted by pspot View Post
Iginla on the Caps is a great idea

Semin on the Flames not so much

I like the idea of Neuvirth or Holtby that allows the flames to move Kipper
but the problem is the Caps don't have any other top end prospects which Cal would need.

maybe Wsh could move Semin somewhere else for a top prospect and then package them.

Islanders? Strome they desperately need scoring and start winning sooner than later

Something like

Caps get Iggy
NYI get Semin
Cal get Strome, Holtby or Neuvirth and Wsh 1st
The Flames really aren't looking for a goalie. They'll at least give Irving a shot before they look for anyone else.

madmike77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2011, 09:12 AM
ChibiPooky
Caps/Avs/Bills fan

vCash: 50
I really don't see why Semin's UFA status is a negative. In reality it's probably the factor that makes him tradeable. Any team acquiring Semin gets to see him for a month before he is eligible to re-sign, and a few months before the deadline. There are three possible end scenarios for a team acquiring Semin:

1) Semin works out and signs: The acquiring team now gets to extend Semin at a price they think he's worth - WIN

2) Semin works out but doesn't sign (doesn't want to stay or can't agree on terms): Flip him as an attractive (after all, he played well enough to "work out") deadline rental - WIN

3) Semin doesn't work out: Flip him as a deadline rental - WIN

The only way the acquiring team can lose in this deal is if they wait too long to make a decision or can't find someone to take a top 6 guy with 30 points in 37 playoff games at the deadline.

ChibiPooky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2011, 09:18 AM
blasimon

All this talk about Semin being an impending ufa... it's not like Iginla is signed long term either. He has 1.5yr left, and will be 36 at the end of it. Given the caps 1st round pick may be high, I think that Semin+1st+one prospect is fair from a value perspective.

blasimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2011, 09:25 AM
Medium Rare*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiPooky View Post
I really don't see why Semin's UFA status is a negative. In reality it's probably the factor that makes him tradeable. Any team acquiring Semin gets to see him for a month before he is eligible to re-sign, and a few months before the deadline. There are three possible end scenarios for a team acquiring Semin:

1) Semin works out and signs: The acquiring team now gets to extend Semin at a price they think he's worth - WIN

2) Semin works out but doesn't sign (doesn't want to stay or can't agree on terms): Flip him as an attractive (after all, he played well enough to "work out") deadline rental - WIN

3) Semin doesn't work out: Flip him as a deadline rental - WIN

The only way the acquiring team can lose in this deal is if they wait too long to make a decision or can't find someone to take a top 6 guy with 30 points in 37 playoff games at the deadline.
Considering what has been said about Semin by a former teammate, I really don't think any teams will pay a premium for him as a rental, or possibly anything at all.

Also if the Flames are rebuilding re-signing Semin doesn't make sense for the team or player (if he actually cares about winning which seems debatable).

Semin on the Flames makes no sense and would only be included for salary purposes, not because they actually want him on the team.

But unless some of the untouchables on that list another poster wrote up, there would be no deal anyways.

Medium Rare* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2011, 09:36 AM
Medium Rare*

Quote:
Originally Posted by blasimon View Post
All this talk about Semin being an impending ufa... it's not like Iginla is signed long term either. He has 1.5yr left, and will be 36 at the end of it. Given the caps 1st round pick may be high, I think that Semin+1st+one prospect is fair from a value perspective.
its not about "fair value" its about "market value" and there is a significant difference between the two.

Look at it this way. Hypothetically say the Capitals and Bruins are the front runners for Iginla. Both of those teams believes they are a Cup contender with Iginla on their roster.

The key is this, not only will the best offer win Iginla, it will stop Iginla from playing for the other team bidding. And lets be frank here Iginla playing for Boston hurts the Capitals chances much more than it would hurt the Bruins if Iginla went to the Caps. But Boston has the upper hand because they don't "need" to send salary to Calgary to make it work and they aren't as desperate for playoff success. This drives up the "market value".

So now these teams are negotiating and the Caps know then need to win this. They can offer their 1st and a good prospect. So can Boston. The 1 chip the Capitals have that the Bruins don't is Colorado's 1st. Without that pick I see nothing the Caps can offer that another contender can't.

Old
12-07-2011, 09:51 AM
BeersHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medium Rare View Post
its not about "fair value" its about "market value" and there is a significant difference between the two.

Look at it this way. Hypothetically say the Capitals and Bruins are the front runners for Iginla. Both of those teams believes they are a Cup contender with Iginla on their roster.

The key is this, not only will the best offer win Iginla, it will stop Iginla from playing for the other team bidding. And lets be frank here Iginla playing for Boston hurts the Capitals chances much more than it would hurt the Bruins if Iginla went to the Caps. But Boston has the upper hand because they don't "need" to send salary to Calgary to make it work and they aren't as desperate for playoff success. This drives up the "market value".

So now these teams are negotiating and the Caps know then need to win this. They can offer their 1st and a good prospect. So can Boston. The 1 chip the Capitals have that the Bruins don't is Colorado's 1st. Without that pick I see nothing the Caps can offer that another contender can't.
Yeah, but this also assumes that Caps are in "win now" mode, which they aren't (or at least shouldn't be). That is reserved for teams whose windows are closing because their core of stars is aging fast, like San Jose. Caps aren't that desperate, and if they can stomach another year or two of working on learning playoff hockey, and maybe getting past the second round, then they are in prime position to have a 3-4 year run as a Cup favorite. So, while it would make sense for San Jose, or the Red Wings, to enter win now mode, it makes little sense for Caps to do the same.

BeersHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2011, 10:03 AM
Medium Rare*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeersHockey View Post
Yeah, but this also assumes that Caps are in "win now" mode, which they aren't (or at least shouldn't be). That is reserved for teams whose windows are closing because their core of stars is aging fast, like San Jose. Caps aren't that desperate, and if they can stomach another year or two of working on learning playoff hockey, and maybe getting past the second round, then they are in prime position to have a 3-4 year run as a Cup favorite. So, while it would make sense for San Jose, or the Red Wings, to enter win now mode, it makes little sense for Caps to do the same.
Any team that thinks they are capable should be going for it should they not? you never know what the future will hold. if you are a contender you should seize the day and do what you can to give you the best chance because you play this game to win.

They may also consider having Vokoun (who has a 1 year deal) as a key piece to win now. At least I see it this way, I think Vokoun gives them a better chance now than Holtby or Neuvirth do in the next 3-4 years. But its all in how you want to spin it right? For every reason not to take a chance, there is a reason to take the chance.