HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Nashville VS Phoenix "Patiently Waiting"

Old
12-07-2011, 12:57 AM
kypredsfan
Weber is OUR captain

vCash: 500
To those of you bashing SK, he shot the puck tonight more than ever. Something obviously was said to him and he's responding. Unfortuneatly, Trotz put him on a freaking line with Halischuk and Spaling. That's BS. Trotz just keeps breaking up lines that used to play well.

kypredsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2011, 01:24 AM
bishop12
Ovyously

Smith's 1st game over 20 min of ice time.

bishop12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2011, 01:25 AM
bishop12
Ovyously

Quote:
Originally Posted by kypredsfan View Post
To those of you bashing SK, he shot the puck tonight more than ever. Something obviously was said to him and he's responding. Unfortuneatly, Trotz put him on a freaking line with Halischuk and Spaling. That's BS. Trotz just keeps breaking up lines that used to play well.
Who should not be in the top 6 then?

bishop12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2011, 01:58 AM
I Will Son
An Army of One

Quote:
Originally Posted by mind_the_gap View Post
Hornqvist. Ive been saying it forever. HE DOES NOT CREATE OFFENSE! He will score just as much on line 3 with PP time then he would line 1 with pp time.

I Will Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2011, 03:54 AM
kypredsfan
Weber is OUR captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by mind_the_gap View Post
I Will Son beat me to it. Hornqvist is the obvious pick. Hell Legwand for all I care that way we can reunite the Wilson-Smith-Horn line like they should be. Then you have Erat-Fisher-Kostitsyn. Then make a line of Halischuk-Leggy-Tootoo/Spaling.

But that's just me.

Old
12-07-2011, 05:53 AM
glenngineer
HFB Partner

Quote:
I agree with this. How in the hell did Sergei get a penalty? He took a worse mugging than Hornqvist receives AND Aucoin dropped the gloves. Isn't that an automatic double minor or something when a player loses the mitts? It should NOT have resulted in a 4 on 4. Sergei even looked at the ref and asked what he did and the ref just sternly pointed to the penalty box. I was about to lose it when the ref did that.

To those wondering about Muller being in there on the 4 on 4, I think Trotz on the post game show said something to the effect of he's been impressing them and they had confidence in them. Was it really his fault or Legwands? On the replay it looks like Legwand just comes over to defend a guy that's already being well defended therefore leaving the slot wide open.
Legwand had the guy at the point. When analyzing the goal, all Terry sees is Legwand but he had the guy on the point. It was Mueller's guy, that's why Legwand was trying to get to him because he was in a dangerous spot and Legwand knew it.

I don't care if Trotz is impressed by him. You don't put 3 rookies and Legwand out on the ice 4 on 4 when you have guys that should be out there. At one point during the 4 on 4 he had Smithson and Mueller out there. Tell me that's a coach playing to win? It's chicken ***** hockey. You put your best players out there 4 on 4. Yeah, they played a lot of minutes but so had Phoenix's guys. They also played the night before. There is no excuse for guys not being able to suck it up.

glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2011, 05:53 AM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Their second goal was a good play by the Yotes, terrible coverage by us. We had one forward barely inside the blueline, the other two behind our net ... one d-man in the crease, the other against the post, both looking behind the net and covering nobody.

Or even strength goal scoring has taken a serious hit this season while our PP is performing considerably better than the past few years. None of our ES lines have done particularly well lately, including the kid line used when Leggy went down. Hornqvist is our leading ES goal scorer and he's been missing from the score sheet for quite a while now (8 Nov). Smith hasn't scored an ES goal in almost a month (9 Nov) ....it's been about three weeks for Wilson (15 Nov) ... about the same for Erat (17 Nov) ... and SK hasn't scored in almost a month and a half (27 Oct).

This team that has scored 3 or more goals in just one of the last eight games is the same team that scored 3 or more in ten of eleven games from 27 Oct - 19 Nov. It's not that we don't have the talent or the ability, it's that the guys are playing inconsistent hockey and there's no telling what we're going to get from one shift to the next, much less from one game to another.

Maybe the evil Bluejackets stole our mojo when they beat us on 19 Nov .... it makes as much sense as any of the rants I've seen on message boards to explain the team's current funk.

101st_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2011, 07:36 AM
ZombPred
ALLeyeDOizWHEN!

Time to bring back the super-early GDT?

ZombPred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2011, 07:49 AM
Roman Yoshi
Ellis too short

Quote:
SK deserves to be on a line with Halischuk and Spaling if he only has 19 shots in 21 games entering tonight. That's disgraceful.

Roman Yoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2011, 08:27 AM
kypredsfan
Weber is OUR captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joetimo View Post
SK deserves to be on a line with Halischuk and Spaling if he only has 19 shots in 21 games entering tonight. That's disgraceful.
Well Trotz answered my facebook question a few min ago on "Coffee with the Coach". He said he's trying to ease SK back into the game because this was already his 3rd injury this season. Also, something I never thought about, was he said Kostitsyn won't be going up against top line guys when he's on the 3rd line so maybe it will unleash him a bit. He pointed out that Smith took Sk's spot for now.

I understand that but Smith actually made the 3rd line look decent. SK made it look ok. Either way, I'm glad Trotz answered my question. And also answered my other part about if he was happy SK was shooting last night. He said yes and he will need to keep shooting if we want to go very far.

Old
12-07-2011, 09:30 AM
token grinder
formerly sirryan189

I don't understand how anyone could think goal three was legwand. It was muellers guy plain and simple. 4 v 4 coverage is pretty basic. dmen grab the forwards, forwards grab the dmen. Mueller had the right quadrant and yandle was his man. I hate it for him becaause he played a real solid game.

I will agree with Trotz, Mueller had been impressive all night. I liked the line he was on as I thought they brought energy, cycled well, and caused havoc. I think this is the desperation factor we see in wilson and mueller as they are playing to not ride the bus. We moan and groan about nothing changes, well, trotz rewarded a guy who played his butt off and gave him an opportunity to shine. he didn't. damned if we do, damned if we dont.

token grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2011, 09:38 AM
Roman Yoshi
Ellis too short

Quote:
Originally Posted by token grinder View Post
I don't understand how anyone could think goal three was legwand. It was muellers guy plain and simple. 4 v 4 coverage is pretty basic. dmen grab the forwards, forwards grab the dmen. Mueller had the right quadrant and yandle was his man. I hate it for him becaause he played a real solid game.

I will agree with Trotz, Mueller had been impressive all night. I liked the line he was on as I thought they brought energy, cycled well, and caused havoc. I think this is the desperation factor we see in wilson and mueller as they are playing to not ride the bus. We moan and groan about nothing changes, well, trotz rewarded a guy who played his butt off and gave him an opportunity to shine. he didn't. damned if we do, damned if we dont.
Agreed, it was mueller's fault but I was pretty happy with his play last night. Can't really say that about a whole lot of other guys.

Roman Yoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2011, 10:48 AM
Jarnberg

Odd that people are nitpicking about defensive zone errors in a game where the offense fails to score more than 2 goals. You aren't going to win too many NHL games scoring just 2 goals and we cannot expect perfection in our own zone the entire game. Of course it would be great to not allow any goals every game; or just one and you want to be good defensively, but you need offense as well.

Jarnberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2011, 10:56 AM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

I completely agree. Again, 14 games already with 2 goals or less scored. We are 2-10-2.

Hmmm.....

12-07-2011, 11:07 AM
Legionnaire11
HFBoards Sponsor

hard to imagine that we're closing in on 30 games played. And the home crowd has seen just FOUR victories on home ice...

Legionnaire11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2011, 11:08 AM
WartracePred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
Odd that people are nitpicking about defensive zone errors in a game where the offense fails to score more than 2 goals. You aren't going to win too many NHL games scoring just 2 goals and we cannot expect perfection in our own zone the entire game. Of course it would be great to not allow any goals every game; or just one and you want to be good defensively, but you need offense as well.
IDK, last year seems they had a 50/50 shot in games where the Preds scored 2 goals. 3 goals was an automatic win. The defense was much better last season. I'm starting to jump on the bandwagon that screams for an upgrade on the blueline. Maybe the young ones will get better as the season moves along. Consider also the Cube has been out a lot. I'd like to see their win/loss record with and without Bouillon.

It was a little strange at the Bridge last night when the wave started. I thought, well if the team isn't going to entertain us, we'll do it ourselves. Thought it was a dangerous moment. Just one more sign that all the momentum we had at the end of last season is gone. If the on-ice product isn't good enough to bring fans to the Bridge, ticket sales are going to fall. Especially with the Titans playing better this season.

WartracePred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2011, 11:09 AM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

We've given up four or more goals in four of the last nine games played ... three or more in seven of the last nine. Leggy with one ES goal in the past month .... Wilson, Erat, Smith, Hornqvist, Kostitsyn all with 3+ weeks since their last ES goal. Problems at both ends ... we stopped putting up 3 or more goals with the loss to the Jackets (10 of 11 games with at least three goals including that game) and stopped holding teams to under three goals.

We've now allowed three or more goals 15 times. 3 goals seven times, 4 goals three times, 5 goals four times, and 6 goals once.

Last edited by 101st_fan: 12-07-2011 at 11:17 AM.
Old
12-07-2011, 11:15 AM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101st_fan View Post
We've given up four or more goals in four of the last nine games played ... three or more in seven of the last nine. Leggy with one ES goal in the past month .... Wilson, Erat, Smith, Hornqvist, Kostitsyn all with 3+ weeks since their last ES goal. Problems at both ends ... we stopped putting up 3 or more goals with the loss to the Jackets (10 of 11 games with at least three goals including that game) and stopped holding teams to under three goals.
I think this shows we are a team that is going to get an average of 2.5 goals a game. In other words, some nights two, some nights three. That is a .500 team. We score 3, we win. We score 2, we lose.

I would agree we need a second pairing defensemen. I think it would benefit Klein. I also think that simply moving Klein in a lateral move could benefit this team. He is in a major defensive funk right now. I can live with the rookie mistakes on the third pairing, but we need more consistency out of the second unit. On offense, it is the same old song. We absolutely need a finisher. I actually think our offensive talent is not that bad this year. Wilson and Smith have taken step forwards. However, it is the inconsistent defense that is making our usual ability to win the grind it out 2-1 games a thing of the past. An upgrade on the blue line likely nets us 5-7th place heading into the playoffs. An upgrade on the offensive end makes us contenders. We need both. We have the assets. We have a good team. I hope we see this come to fruition.

Enoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2011, 11:18 AM
Jarnberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by WartracePred View Post
IDK, last year seems they had a 50/50 shot in games where the Preds scored 2 goals. 3 goals was an automatic win. The defense was much better last season. I'm starting to jump on the bandwagon that screams for an upgrade on the blueline. Maybe the young ones will get better as the season moves along. Consider also the Cube has been out a lot. I'd like to see their win/loss record with and without Bouillon.
I never stated this team didn't have defensive problems and they are worse then last year defensively. I agree, something needs to be done on the blueline in the form of a second pairing veteran. Blum has been AHL quality those whole season and Hillen doesn't cut it. This team would be better if they improved on the blueline.

That being said, you cannot expect perfection in your own zone no matter how good you are back there. Over the course of a game mistakes are bound to happen whether it be the goalie, defensemen or forwards (which we had each do last game). You need an offense that can generate more zone time and puck possession (to take pressure off of your defense and mitigate defensive errors) and an offense that can bail you out if you let in the odd goal or two. You cannot expect the team to only let in 1 or 2 goals each game.

We have problems on both ends of the ice and I don't care where we are in relation to previous seasons, from my viewing and opinion, this team isn't better than last year's team which is a shame given the momentum from last year. It is fixable but the problem is Poile is going to make the moves necessary.

Old
12-07-2011, 11:25 AM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
I think this shows we are a team that is going to get an average of 2.5 goals a game. In other words, some nights two, some nights three. That is a .500 team. We score 3, we win. We score 2, we lose.

I would agree we need a second pairing defensemen. I think it would benefit Klein. I also think that simply moving Klein in a lateral move could benefit this team. He is in a major defensive funk right now. I can live with the rookie mistakes on the third pairing, but we need more consistency out of the second unit. On offense, it is the same old song. We absolutely need a finisher. I actually think our offensive talent is not that bad this year. Wilson and Smith have taken step forwards. However, it is the inconsistent defense that is making our usual ability to win the grind it out 2-1 games a thing of the past. An upgrade on the blue line likely nets us 5-7th place heading into the playoffs. An upgrade on the offensive end makes us contenders. We need both. We have the assets. We have a good team. I hope we see this come to fruition.
Most teams only score two or three goals on any given night. Ten teams are averaging 2.9 goals/game ... seven of them are in the east. Even with the drop in scoring over the past 8 games, we're at 2.59 g/g (17th). The funny thing is that we're scoring more than Tampa .. far better than Anaheim, LA, NJ, Columbus ... all teams with prolific individual scorers.

As frustrating as the current streak is, it's not uncommon at this point in the season and as tight as the conference is we're only five points out of 4th position. There are issues that need fixing but no need for panic.

Old
12-07-2011, 11:26 AM
Jarnberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101st_fan View Post
There are issues that need fixing but no need for panic.
Talk about a strawman.

Old
12-07-2011, 11:29 AM
wadesworld

Quote:
Well, to their credit, the team had a ton of great chances last night that didn't go in. I was already on my feet on the Legwand chance. Of course that always seems to be our problem - our great chances never go in.

wadesworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2011, 12:07 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
Talk about a strawman.
Panic usually only makes things worse. Every game we get the rants about how we suck, are terrible, etc ... fire everyone, trade 3/4 of the team .... and on and on.

Right now we're living offensively off of the PP but don't draw enough penalties to win many games that way. We've scored 4+ goals seven times, allowed 4+ eight times. Our goals per game average, even with the recent slump, is .01 g/g less than last year. ... our goals allowed is .38 goals per game higher this year than last. We're seeing a dramatically improved PP, considerably lower 5on5 performance, and a marked decline in the quality of our defense.

Blum was expected to be a top 4 d-man .. a continuation of his play last season. Well, he hit the sophomore slump and we've yet to find anyone internally to fill that second pair slot with Klein. Our top ES goal scorer this year hasn't scored in a month. Our leading point scorer from last season hasn't netted a goal in over five weeks. Our recently hot scoring forward is suspended.

The frustrating part of the last two losses is that we didn't play poorly. If we stunk up the place and got blown away, it would be understandable. Instead we've created quality chances, limited their shots, just every little mistake is going into the net against us right now ... and we're making too many mistakes.

Old
12-07-2011, 12:20 PM
Greg1420

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoNecksCurse View Post
you're damn right. don't suck and ill go. hell I just want to be entertained... not mad the whole time. im too passionate
Me too.
I have season tickets and keep skipping games and trading the tickets in for extra tickets to later games in the season, because every time I've been this season (almost) I've been pissed when I left. I've also felt bad after games for cursing too loudly, because they get me so angry it's not even fun. Sorry if you sit near me especially if you brought kiddies. I've been "that guy" on occasion this season.
There I feel better now.

Greg1420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2011, 12:44 PM
WartracePred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg1420 View Post
Me too.
I have season tickets and keep skipping games and trading the tickets in for extra tickets to later games in the season, because every time I've been this season (almost) I've been pissed when I left. I've also felt bad after games for cursing too loudly, because they get me so angry it's not even fun. Sorry if you sit near me especially if you brought kiddies. I've been "that guy" on occasion this season.
There I feel better now.
Aww, come on out. We'll drink beer, eat brats, watch the ice girls, & do the wave!! Every now and then look toward the ice. But not too often and you'll be fine. That's how I've spent the last few home games.

WartracePred is offline   Reply With Quote