Notices

Ducks 2011-12 Roster Discussion pt deux

Old
12-06-2011, 08:41 PM
caliamad

vCash: 500
Ducks 2011-12 Roster Discussion pt deux

My assessment of team:

Lydman has regressed big time - He's look more like Andy Sutton than a top 4D now. He hasn't looked the same since March of last year when he suffered and played through that should injury that required surgery.

Visnovsky was playing bad before injury (although he was already playing with a broken finger), but he hasn't been the same since the hit by Murray. I hope I'm wrong

NHL has figured out RPG - Keep them to perimeter don't take penalties, move puck out of zone fast

We lack a legitimate NHL 3rd line center - Cogliano hasn't been terrible, but he hasn't been the answer either. I want a guy like Mike Fisher. 2-way grit/size that can match up with other team's bigger/talented forwards.

Proposal:

Both Carolina and us are in real bad ruts. They can't move Kaberle and supposedly offered him + 2nd round pick for CBJ Brassard.

If Visnovsky/Lydman can't turn it around I would offer:

Visnovsky
Lydman
Cogliano/Beleksy (maybe both)
Blake/Hagman (salary purposes only)

For

Kaberle
Gleason
Ruutu

I feel Carolina will do next to anything to rid themselves of the mistake of Kaberle, and I consider Gleason an upgrade of Lydman at this point.

Ruutu isn't ideal 2 way gritty centerman, but I consider him an upgrade of Cogs.

Last edited by snarktacular: 12-08-2011 at 11:57 AM.
caliamad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2011, 01:12 AM
bumperkisser

Quote:
Originally Posted by caliamad View Post
My assessment of team:

Lydman has regressed big time - He's look more like Andy Sutton than a top 4D now. He hasn't looked the same since March of last year when he suffered and played through that should injury that required surgery.

Visnovsky was playing bad before injury (although he was already playing with a broken finger), but he hasn't been the same since the hit by Murray. I hope I'm wrong

NHL has figured out RPG - Keep them to perimeter don't take penalties, move puck out of zone fast

We lack a legitimate NHL 3rd line center - Cogliano hasn't been terrible, but he hasn't been the answer either. I want a guy like Mike Fisher. 2-way grit/size that can match up with other team's bigger/talented forwards.

Proposal:

Both Carolina and us are in real bad ruts. They can't move Kaberle and supposedly offered him + 2nd round pick for CBJ Brassard.

If Visnovsky/Lydman can't turn it around I would offer:

Visnovsky
Lydman
Cogliano/Beleksy (maybe both)
Blake/Hagman (salary purposes only)

For

Kaberle
Gleason
Ruutu

I feel Carolina will do next to anything to rid themselves of the mistake of Kaberle, and I consider Gleason an upgrade of Lydman at this point.

Ruutu isn't ideal 2 way gritty centerman, but I consider him an upgrade of Cogs.
Fisher is more like a 2nd line C.. obviously if he was our 3rd line C we'd have great depth at C but thats paying a lot for a 3rd line C

bumperkisser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2011, 01:27 AM
Duck Off
HF needs an App

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Duke View Post
As much as lines need to be sorted out, there is a definite need for a trade or two within this team. Nothing earth shattering, but the Ducks need to find a way to inject a mixture of skill, grit, and speed to this roster and really let the team fly. I'm sure discussion are on going between BB & Murray about what kind of player is needed to make them work better on the ice.
What needs to happen, is a 2nd line player needs to be added. The problem though is that we have arguably 3 third line guys being paid like 2nd line players. Blake and Cogliano are easily 3rd liners IMO. Koivu fits that category as well IMO, although he's a great 3rd liner and arguably a 2nd line player.

The question is do we wait until the next offseason to do it, or do it this season. If we could obtain a 2nd line center for the future in a move this season. Our lineup could be very deep. However, budget restraints probably won't allow that to happen. We have the assets to out and look for one, but I really doubt Murray would ante up what's needed to get it. Plus the budget probably eliminates all hope next year.

Would be sweet if we could trade for a 2nd line center to play with Ryan though. BB is smart IMO to experiment with Ryan off that line because that's what we need to see. I still don't think he's a good fit with the Finns because they seem to have their own thing going. Trade would be sweet though:

Beleskey/DSP-Getzlaf-Perry
Cogliano-Koivu-Selanne
Hagman-Trade-Ryan
Beleskey/DSP-Macenauer-Parros

Duck Off is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2011, 01:46 AM
Kalvinators
hurrr-durrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckstudd269 View Post
What needs to happen, is a 2nd line player needs to be added. The problem though is that we have arguably 3 third line guys being paid like 2nd line players. Blake and Cogliano are easily 3rd liners IMO. Koivu fits that category as well IMO, although he's a great 3rd liner and arguably a 2nd line player.

The question is do we wait until the next offseason to do it, or do it this season. If we could obtain a 2nd line center for the future in a move this season. Our lineup could be very deep. However, budget restraints probably won't allow that to happen. We have the assets to out and look for one, but I really doubt Murray would ante up what's needed to get it. Plus the budget probably eliminates all hope next year.

Would be sweet if we could trade for a 2nd line center to play with Ryan though. BB is smart IMO to experiment with Ryan off that line because that's what we need to see. I still don't think he's a good fit with the Finns because they seem to have their own thing going. Trade would be sweet though:

Beleskey/DSP-Getzlaf-Perry
Cogliano-Koivu-Selanne
Hagman-Trade-Ryan
Beleskey/DSP-Macenauer-Parros
If both players can play on 1st line, putting one on 4th line is a waste.

But i really don`t think DSP would be good on 1st line. He should stay on 3d line for now.

Beleskey was ok with the twins this game. Well, before he was benched, but imo BB made a good move by doing that. Got to send the messege that players have to earn a spot. And they can do it only with putting 100% effort in 100% time they`re on the ice.

Kalvinators is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2011, 02:02 AM
Duck Off
HF needs an App

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalvinators View Post

If both players can play on 1st line, putting one on 4th line is a waste.

But i really don`t think DSP would be good on 1st line. He should stay on 3d line for now.

Beleskey was ok with the twins this game. Well, before he was benched, but imo BB made a good move by doing that. Got to send the messege that players have to earn a spot. And they can do it only with putting 100% effort in 100% time they`re on the ice.
I've been in favor of sending DSP down for a while now. Maybe if they add another player they'd be able to. I don't know. If they add a significant player though, salary would probably have to go back the other way. Possibly Hagman? Maybe that'd leave a spot for DSP on one of the scoring lines. I don't know, it's all spec, and pointless spec at that cause of the budget, and my belief that Murray won't ante up the assets needed to aquire a player of that caliber.

Duck Off is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2011, 02:45 AM
Sean Garrity
Shut up and Dance!

Just food for thought, and I will probably be eaten alive for suggesting this at this time, but if BB has any intentions of playing Ryan as the center for next year than why not now? Let him get acclimated to getting his ass handed to him on faceoffs this year and get used to handling the puck more, which IMO is better for him because otherwise he floats around like a giant skilled goon out there.

Sean Garrity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2011, 05:21 AM
JabbaJabba

When healty I would like to see:

Hagman-Getz-Perry
Ryan-Koivu-Selänne
Blake/Beleskey-Cogliano-DSP
JFJ-Macenauer-Parros
Blake/Beleskey

Fowler-Beauchemin
Lydman-Visnovsky
Brookbank-Sbisa

JabbaJabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2011, 05:37 AM
mightyquack
Rekordtorschütze!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPGallINYAface View Post
Just food for thought, and I will probably be eaten alive for suggesting this at this time, but if BB has any intentions of playing Ryan as the center for next year than why not now? Let him get acclimated to getting his ass handed to him on faceoffs this year and get used to handling the puck more, which IMO is better for him because otherwise he floats around like a giant skilled goon out there.
I agree, I'd really like to see Ryan get a long spell at center to see how he goes, I think he can be a really good center.

mightyquack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2011, 06:46 AM
KEEROLE Vatanen
Failures Of Fenwick

I'd like to see DSP get a chance on the top line eventually......that kid has improved alot you're starting to see the potential and the hands to go with that wide body.

KEEROLE Vatanen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2011, 06:56 AM
Kalvinators
hurrr-durrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccupySheen View Post
I'd like to see DSP get a chance on the top line eventually......that kid has improved alot you're starting to see the potential and the hands to go with that wide body.
The potential is there and it`s obvious. But for now, he should stay on 3d line this season imo. For me it looks like he`s just not ready for something more. But like yous said - the potential is definately there. Hey, he`s only 19/20 (?) after all.

Old
12-07-2011, 08:16 AM
JabbaJabba

Quote:
The potential is there and it`s obvious. But for now, he should stay on 3d line this season imo. For me it looks like he`s just not ready for something more. But like yous said - the potential is definately there. Hey, he`s only 19/20 (?) after all.
Yeah, not every kid is like Fowler. It's still great that he can play on our 3rd line as 19 year old.

Old
12-07-2011, 09:43 AM
Kalvinators
hurrr-durrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by JabbaJabba View Post
Yeah, not every kid is like Fowler. It's still great that he can play on our 3rd line as 19 year old.
Exactly. His potential is really good and we shouldn`t be underestimating his potential, because he got one... It`s his first pro year, which happens right away in NHL. he`s 19.
He`ll be real force rather sooner than later.

Old
12-07-2011, 12:16 PM
master4071

Yes, Lydman is awful right now, looks like even Brookbank is more solid...I don't mind to trade him, but where we will find better experienced shutdown d-man? Maybe when Lubo will back Toni will find his best game...

Trade with Carolina can be good option, but Gleason and Ruutu are UFA after this season and looks like Kaberle is even worse than Lydman...

master4071 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2011, 01:09 PM
2faded

Idk what anyone sees in Hagman. He has no offensive game at all. I hope he never sees time on the first line ever again. Ill admit Beleskey has looked better. Hes still dumb though. Disagree about keeping DSP on the 3rd line. He's a much better option that Beleskey and why not give him a shot? I dont see the reason not to. Loving the 4th line with size. RKS looks good.

2faded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2011, 01:15 PM
Sean Garrity
Shut up and Dance!

Can DSP even play LW?

Old
12-07-2011, 02:04 PM
DuckshaveaRPG

DSP - Holland - Etem
McMillan - Rakell - Palmieri
Beleskey - Cramarossa - Wagner
Maroon - Karlsson - Sexton
Friberg - Bonino - Wagner

Schultz - Clark
Vatanen - Lind
Carle - Welinski

Gibson
Bobkov

DuckshaveaRPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2011, 02:12 PM
caliamad

Quote:
Originally Posted by master4071 View Post
Yes, Lydman is awful right now, looks like even Brookbank is more solid...I don't mind to trade him, but where we will find better experienced shutdown d-man? Maybe when Lubo will back Toni will find his best game...

Trade with Carolina can be good option, but Gleason and Ruutu are UFA after this season and looks like Kaberle is even worse than Lydman...
True, I noticed they are both UFAs and that give us some cap flexibility if they don't work out or think someone like Schultz/free agent are better options.

I was thinking:
Gleason > Lydman
Ruutu > Cogs/Belesky
Kaberle < Visnovsky - but with Gleason, Fowler, Beach, Sbisa, Brookbank, we could protect his minutes 5 on 5.

Old
12-07-2011, 02:14 PM
JabbaJabba

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckshaveaRPG View Post
DSP - Holland - Etem
McMillan - Rakell - Palmieri
Beleskey - Cramarossa - Wagner
Maroon - Karlsson - Sexton
Friberg - Bonino - Wagner

Schultz - Clark
Vatanen - Lind
Carle - Welinski

Gibson
Bobkov
Do we have two Wagners?

Old
12-07-2011, 02:14 PM
caliamad

Once we throw in the towel, I absolutely love the idea Ryan to have freedom to mistake 1/2 season to learn center. If it doesn't work out by end of season, we know we have to trade/sign on in the offseason.

The DSP I saw last night against Kings was a better option that Beleksy/Hagman. He reminded me of a young Penner. Strong in front of the net and hits like a truck... probably better forechecker, less offense. I wouldn't mind putting him in the mix except I don't like the look of our 3rd line without him.

Either we need to find someone to re-energize Getzlaf/Perry. They just don't look very good out there.

Old
12-07-2011, 02:28 PM
DuckshaveaRPG

Quote:
Originally Posted by JabbaJabba View Post
Do we have two Wagners?
my bad, sub Kennedy for the last one

DuckshaveaRPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2011, 02:37 PM
master4071

Quote:
Originally Posted by caliamad View Post
True, I noticed they are both UFAs and that give us some cap flexibility if they don't work out or think someone like Schultz/free agent are better options.

I was thinking:
Gleason > Lydman
Ruutu > Cogs/Belesky
Kaberle < Visnovsky - but with Gleason, Fowler, Beach, Sbisa, Brookbank, we could protect his minutes 5 on 5.
I would rather prefer to wait and go for Ruutu via FA...I would change Lydman for Gleason, then try hard to re-sign him during this season, I believe it will be difficult UFA market for internal budget team again, so I don't want us to ended with almost nothing...I think we should wait and see how Lubo will play...I'm affraid Kabele will never find his best game and I don't know if he will want to play in Western Conference...we don't need a passangers here and he is also overpaid for 13/14...

master4071 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2011, 03:10 PM
Sean Garrity
Shut up and Dance!

We are not trading Visnovsky. He makes $3M dollars next season, what defenseman can you possibly bring in under or around $3M that will be around his caliber?

Old
12-07-2011, 03:14 PM
lumberjack

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2faded View Post
Idk what anyone sees in Hagman. He has no offensive game at all. I hope he never sees time on the first line ever again. Ill admit Beleskey has looked better. Hes still dumb though. Disagree about keeping DSP on the 3rd line. He's a much better option that Beleskey and why not give him a shot? I dont see the reason not to. Loving the 4th line with size. RKS looks good.
Beleskey 3 points and is plus 6 the last 5 games. Maybe we need more dumb players.

lumberjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2011, 03:15 PM
Kalvinators
hurrr-durrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPGallINYAface View Post
We are not trading Visnovsky. He makes $3M dollars next season, what defenseman can you possibly bring in under or around $3M that will be around his caliber?
Cam Fowler

Old
12-07-2011, 03:20 PM
Sean Garrity
Shut up and Dance!

Quote:
Cam Fowler