HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Around The NHL Part XXI

View Poll Results: Which city is the most likely to get the next expansion franchise?
Quebec 35 81.40%
Houston 0 0%
Saskatoon 0 0%
Indianapolis 1 2.33%
Las Vegas 1 2.33%
Kansas City 3 6.98%
San Diego 0 0%
Hamilton 3 6.98%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
12-07-2011, 01:41 PM
HeliDevil
Legendary

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHRangerfan View Post
You don't find it hard to believe that one of the guys he plays against the most doesn't even get a mention?
that is marty's opinion, it's not a fact. i would say lundqvist is one of the best but not the best. why do you guys care so much? like unknown caller said, luongo took marty's starting job in the olympics, anyone with a big ego would not name that player. marty simply doesn't believe lundqvist is the best goalie in the league, get over it.

Old
12-07-2011, 01:42 PM
Unknown Caller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckface NYR View Post
You were clearly condescending in your post. If you didn't mean to be then I aplogize.

Regardless, while i don't know the details surrounding his personal life, because your friends had dinner with him once doesn't make him a good person either.

Unless you know someone who is extremely close with him and hasn't just "hung" with him once or twice then i really don't see how you can justify an argument without taking into account the clear fact that he married his former wife's sister or w/e it was.
I just don't feel it's necessary to comment on your opinion about his relationship, I just don't know enough to comment on it one way or another. All I can comment on is the personal experience I have had with Marty, and he's been great. I have plenty of stories which support my opinion, but I'm sure you wouldn't want to hear them.

Anyway, I'm not trying to be condescending. A simple way of putting it would be that I don't believe Marty intentionally left out Lundqvist. I just think he answered the question off of the top of his head.

Old
12-07-2011, 01:45 PM
DrSutton*
Given Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknown Caller View Post
No, I don't find it hard to believe. Miller and Thomas are also in the east and play against him a lot. He didn't mention them. Maybe it's just his opinion. It's not like he's sitting there with a roster of every goalie in the league in front of him. The interviewer probably asked him a question and Marty answered it off the top of his head.
Stop. The Rangers are the Devils biggest rival and vice versa. Lundqvist has a rather large winning record against Brodeur, and he knows it. He also knows that Henrik is one of the leagues top goalies, and has been for years. So no, he can't cry ignorant on this one. Look at what Johnson said back to me "he certainly didn't mention the king". It's almost as if he went out of his way. If somebody asked you who the top goalies are in the league, you wouldn't say lundqvist? You don't have to play hockey professionally to recognize that.

It's petty. I get that they are rivals, but respect is also something that should be out there.

Old
NHRangerfan
enfoonts

Quote:
No, I don't find it hard to believe. Miller and Thomas are also in the east and play against him a lot. He didn't mention them. Maybe it's just his opinion. It's not like he's sitting there with a roster of every goalie in the league in front of him. The interviewer probably asked him a question and Marty answered it off the top of his head.
You were the one touting how nice of a guy he was...just adding some perspective...actually it was a softball hanging over the plate and I couldn't resist swinging at it

And the bolded actually make reinforces the point everyone is making, he has probably gone head to head more with Henrik than anyone else probably close to 30 times...so if he isn't sitting there with a list you would kind of expect him to say Hank, MAF, Miller or Thomas not 2 guys in the WC

Old
Getzo5
The Punisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSutton View Post
Thought this was funny. On twitter today:

So I responded to him with:

He responded with:

Marty - the goalie whose ego could choke a horse
Quote:
Originally Posted by HagelinForPresident View Post
That's ****ing hilarious! Brodeur's ego will always be bigger than his game
Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchShamrock View Post
Luongo, ha. Losing his job to the backup. Choker. Brodeur would list Biron as a top goalie before he named Henrik.
Not starting with any cliche such as "I come in peace", but still.

Disclaimer: This is by no means a trolling attempt.

It`s not about what Marty said. It`s something else.

During the last WCH in Slovakia, I had a chance to meet many American (Canadian, Swedish,...) players. Shannon, Campbell, Johnson, Fowler, Fayne, Palmieri, Porter, Shattenkirk. McDonagh and Stepan too. They were watching a SportNews on a local TV channel sitting in the hotel restaurant. NSH-VAN was on. Since I`m a Devils fan I was curious to hear who do they root for after Rangers got knocked out. Both said "probably Preds". When I asked why, they said "because of Rinne". My next question was pretty simple: who do you consider top3 goalies in the league.

Guess what? None of them said Lundqvist. Thomas, Miller and Rinne. In that order. Your own players DIDN`T SAY Lundqvist. Btw. Campbell (as a goalie) didn`t say Lundqvist either, but that`s a different story.

http://khl.hokejforum.com/viewtopic....301340#p301340

I`m sure you don`t understand a **** but this is my original post from our local boards from 6/31/2011. And a couple of pictures as well:

I really didn`t make this up. I`m a sports writer for local media, I have to write about the Rangers objectively (just in case you call me biased). Rivalry or not, this is not about his ego or whatever you call it. Rinne is an obvious choice and Luongo was the one who played with him at Olympics + got a Vezina nomination last year and had a great year excluding four games in the Finals. And he could`ve easily mentioned one of Thomas/Quick/Fleury or Miller too.

Next time you bash Marty for no good reason at least try to think about it first.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Getzo5: 12-07-2011 at 01:51 PM.
Old
12-07-2011, 01:50 PM
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman

I think it's pretty clear Lundqvist is one of the top 3 goalies in the league. Where he ranks I'm not sure.

Rinne, Thomas, Lundqvist.

Luongo and Lundqvist was a debate years ago, at this point, I don't think it's much of a question.

And i wouldn't expect Stepan or McD to list Lunqvist considering they don't play against him.

Old
12-07-2011, 01:53 PM
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonialsHockey10 View Post
Do Devils fans take set shifts scouting our boards like vultures waiting to respond to any post related to them?
We can bash marty here all we want....thanks in advance

Old
12-07-2011, 01:54 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

vCash: 50
Its Marty's opinion.

Kevin Weekes has his own opinion too, as do all of us.

The last time Marty referred to henrik that I recall, it was to call his style "weird" in the 05-06 season.

They are goaltenders on rival teams. While Parise did heap praise on Ryan Callahan last year in the booth, I think that ha more to do with the American connection. Brodeur is Canadian. Lundqvist is Swedish.

12-07-2011, 01:55 PM
NHRangerfan
enfoonts

They do seem a bit pre-occupied with the Rangers don't they?

Old
12-07-2011, 01:59 PM
Wingman77
Glory Days

Why should Marty say what Rangers fans want Marty to say? He's entitled to his opinion and clearly he doesn't feel Henrik is among the top two in the league

Marty NEVER said he didn't think Henrik was bad goalie or anything to that extent, he just didn't mention Henrik as among who he thinks are 2 of the best - so what?

This is just another instance of Ranger fans trying to make something out of nothing with what Marty says, it's really not a big deal, let it go

Old
12-07-2011, 02:00 PM
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingman77 View Post
Why should Marty say what Rangers fans want Marty to say? He's entitled to his opinion and clearly he doesn't feel Henrik is among the top two in the league

Marty NEVER said he didn't think Henrik was bad goalie or anything to that extent, he just didn't mention Henrik as among who he thinks are 2 of the best - so what?

This is just another instance of Ranger fans trying to make something out of nothing with what Marty says, it's really not a big deal, let it go
Why are you here telling us what to do? We can analyze Marty however we like. This isn't the main boards.

Old
12-07-2011, 02:01 PM
Unknown Caller

Quote:
I think it's pretty clear Lundqvist is one of the top 3 goalies in the league. Where he ranks I'm not sure.

Luongo and Lundqvist was a debate years ago, at this point, I don't think it's much of a question.

And i wouldn't expect Stepan or McD to list Lunqvist considering they don't play against him.
It's debatable. Not sure how many fans would rank Lundqvist ahead of Miller or Cam Ward. Which is why it's an opinion.

Old
12-07-2011, 02:03 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
reporterchris 16m
Former junior hockey coach Graham James has pleaded guilty to sexual assaults on two ex-players, including Theo Fleury. from web retweeted 41 times
Is this real?

Old
Wingman77
Glory Days

Quote:
Why are you here telling us what to do? We can analyze Marty however we like. This isn't the main boards.
Likewise I can analyze how some people feel about Marty's comments however I like...

If it gets you out of bed to analyze everything Marty says under a microscope, so it be

Old
HeliDevil
Legendary

Quote:

what? they shoot on him almost every day in practice, i'm SURE they would know if he is one of the best goalies in the league.

Old
12-07-2011, 02:05 PM
NHRangerfan
enfoonts

So Julien sits Seguin last night for missing a meeting and the Bruins suffer their first regulation loss since 10/29...on a side note the Bruins/Pens game on Monday got almost a point better ratings then MNF in Boston

Last edited by NHRangerfan: 12-07-2011 at 02:15 PM.
Old
12-07-2011, 02:07 PM
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman

Quote:
It's debatable. Not sure how many fans would rank Lundqvist ahead of Miller or Cam Ward. Which is why it's an opinion.
Miller he is in front of, Cam Ward is debatable.

Old
12-07-2011, 02:10 PM
NHRangerfan
enfoonts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingman77 View Post

Seems like the Marty defense alarm went off over on the Devils board so it must be kind of a big deal...it's not so much about Hank...he didn't think the guy who won the Vezina 2 of the last 3 years was worthy of a mention? You don't find it odd that out of all the good goaltenders he faces all the time in the East he picked 2 guys from the WC?

Old
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesus Nut View Post
what? they shoot on him almost every day in practice, i'm SURE they would know if he is one of the best goalies in the league.
And how many times have they played against him in a game scenario?

Old
Fitzy
All Is Well

vCash: 50
Quote:
Pretty easy way to find out.

Old
12-07-2011, 02:16 PM
HeliDevil
Legendary

Quote:
And how many times have they played against him in a game scenario?
they can tell from practice, scrimmages, etc. plus they watch him play in their own net. is it weird that none of the other players said lundy either?

Old
12-07-2011, 02:16 PM
NYR Viper

This one is near 1,000 posts ladies and gents. Move on to #12

Closed Thread