HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

Nashville VS Phoenix "Patiently Waiting"

Old
12-07-2011, 12:44 PM
Roman Yoshi
Ellis too short

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 101st_fan View Post
Panic usually only makes things worse. Every game we get the rants about how we suck, are terrible, etc ... fire everyone, trade 3/4 of the team .... and on and on.

Right now we're living offensively off of the PP but don't draw enough penalties to win many games that way. We've scored 4+ goals seven times, allowed 4+ eight times. Our goals per game average, even with the recent slump, is .01 g/g less than last year. ... our goals allowed is .38 goals per game higher this year than last. We're seeing a dramatically improved PP, considerably lower 5on5 performance, and a marked decline in the quality of our defense.

Blum was expected to be a top 4 d-man .. a continuation of his play last season. Well, he hit the sophomore slump and we've yet to find anyone internally to fill that second pair slot with Klein. Our top ES goal scorer this year hasn't scored in a month. Our leading point scorer from last season hasn't netted a goal in over five weeks. Our recently hot scoring forward is suspended.

The frustrating part of the last two losses is that we didn't play poorly. If we stunk up the place and got blown away, it would be understandable. Instead we've created quality chances, limited their shots, just every little mistake is going into the net against us right now ... and we're making too many mistakes.

To some of us, making moves aren't panic moves but common sense. Something isn't working with this team fix it. Almost 30 games have been played already. Isn't time to admit that the make up of this team just isn't working and need to be altered? How is that panic?

Roman Yoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2011, 01:30 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joetimo View Post
To some of us, making moves aren't panic moves but common sense. Something isn't working with this team fix it. Almost 30 games have been played already. Isn't time to admit that the make up of this team just isn't working and need to be altered? How is that panic?
Joe, you're usually one of the first to declare the team is "terrible" and go on a rant. It's rarely anything rational from you ... from your rants to your never followed through on threats to just leave and never come back ... it's always a knee jerk reaction. This team is on a rough slide and still just five points out of 4th place. Most of the things that need fixing are internal issues that don't require drastic moves.

Two goals or less in seven of the last eight games dropped our average scoring to last season's level. Unfortunately, this team which prides itself on defense, goal tending, and keeping other teams from scoring is allowing .38 more goals per game this season than last. Allowing four or more goals in eight games so far is failing to live up to that reputation.

Right now the Fisher line is actually generating chances at even strength. I'm just not sure if we should run with Erat/Fisher/Smith or put Hornqvist or Tootoo there and line Smith up with Legwand and Wilson as was done at the beginning of the season. With the current drought Hornqvist is experiencing it might be worth putting Tootoo up on the top lines consistently when he gets back on Saturday. A top 15 scorer (35+g) would be a wonderful addition, but, we've got plenty of guys capable of putting the puck in the net who we simply need to get going ... especially at even strength.

The second pairing needs solidifying. If we bring in anybody right now, that's the biggest hole to fill. OK ... the goal on them last night had a few fluky characteristics, but, it set the tone for the game. Hillen/Klein has, for the most part, been a decent pairing but we need better than decent right now. We need solid night in, night out and able to not only keep the other team off the board but get our rush going which isn't Klein's strength. The second period at Vancouver is about the only time they've had real issues of late ... along with the puck off the ref where Hillen couldn't find/get to it last night.

Keep Josi and Blum as a 3rd pair and let Blum regain his groove of last season. Blum has shown that he's capable at this level but we're seeing the all too familiar sophomore slump with him. Josi has looked pretty good and is demonstrating good skills with the puck.

For the coaching staff, Lambert remains the big question for me. He's the guy handling our defensive pairings and this year the defense is off. I'm not sure if it's him ... of Klein needing a partner and Blum taking a step back ... or a combination of it all. Giving up 3+ goals in seven of the last nine games isn't what this team needs.

101st_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2011, 02:04 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

I think some people might be surprised to know that we are only 2 points behind last year's pace.

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2011, 02:05 PM
roseyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadesworld View Post
Well, to their credit, the team had a ton of great chances last night that didn't go in. I was already on my feet on the Legwand chance. Of course that always seems to be our problem - our great chances never go in.
Because scorers score. They know where the puck should go and then it's whether the goalie makes a good to great save. We have too many guys on this club who aren't snipers just playmakers and a person like Legwand who can't decide what he is far as offense goes. The puck goes in for scorers and hit the goalie in the gut for non scorers. We have always done what we are doing now and we do enough to get by and we'll continue to just get by. We won't make a trade because where we see with unabated hope they(mgt) see risk if it doesn't work out. Most trades don't work out if you kinda look at it but some do and when they do they go a long way. That's why gm's get paid the big bucks

Last edited by roseyc: 12-07-2011 at 02:11 PM.
roseyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2011, 02:07 PM
roseyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post
I think some people might be surprised to know that we are only 2 points behind last year's pace.
But last year we were elminated in the second round is that what you want again...sure in a way it wouldn't be bad. But who knows what this year holds whether that will be enough or not enough. Some of the teams that made the playoffs last year won't make the playoffs this year.

Old
12-07-2011, 02:27 PM
Roman Yoshi
Ellis too short

Quote:
Joe, you're usually one of the first to declare the team is "terrible" and go on a rant. It's rarely anything rational from you ... from your rants to your never followed through on threats to just leave and never come back ... it's always a knee jerk reaction. This team is on a rough slide and still just five points out of 4th place. Most of the things that need fixing are internal issues that don't require drastic moves.
Okay, first off from the very start of the summer I said that this team wasn't built to compete and I got shouted down by the likes of you for being mr. negativity. Secondly, I have made a ton of friends on these boards outside of the Nashville section as well as within the Nashville section. The only reason I ever considered leaving is mostly because of you. I am not the only one who has complained about you this season either and I am sure the same could be said for me. I don't leave because people don't want me to leave, but you make it really hard sometimes.

Speaking of logic, how logical was it to have the horrid offseason that we have following the best playoff run in franchise history. Please explain that one to me. Please explain how this "window of opportunity" ******** that we have been getting preached has amounted to anything besides resigning pekka which should be done anyway. Talk is cheap. How logical was it to not even attempt to resign O'Brien and replace him with Hillen? This team misses Shane, yet when I was upset with that move I got called out for being too fond of an easily replaceable piece. If he was so easy to replace or upgrade, why hasn't he? Or why has the whole RFA contract debacle been swept under the rug? Because it is Poile's sun who made the gaff? What if we lost players because of that? Do you think Poile's son would've been fired? I don't.

Granted, I've been wrong about somethings too, such as wilson's emergence but I have been right about a lot of things as well. You can throw out all your fancy statistics and compare this season to last season, but more people than myself have seen a drastic fall in the quality of play from this team this year. Are they playing to their full potential? Probably not. Do I believe this team is built to succeed? No I do not. Point is, as a person who has pumped money into the organization, purchased their product, and tried to be an ambassador for the team and inside and outside of the Nashville community, I feel like the fans are being lied to and that rubs me the wrong way. If we are serious about competing and getting to the next level then stop talking about it and just do it. Based on their play this year, throw out all statistics and watch the game. Do you really think they are anywhere as good as they were last year. My answer is no.

Now, I am personally sick of having this fight with you. So after today I have nothing left to say to you. Just because I hold a different opinion about the direction about the direction of this team doesn't mean I am somehow below your intelligence in these conversations. I am certainly not the first nor the last person who is going to have this type of sentiment towards you.

On that note, I am out.

Old
12-07-2011, 02:27 PM
Roman Yoshi
Ellis too short

I still can't believe how Weber and Suter managed to blow coverage so badly on that 2nd goal

Last edited by Roman Yoshi: 12-07-2011 at 02:47 PM.
Old
12-07-2011, 02:56 PM
roseyc

Quote:
I still can't believe how Weber and Suter managed to blow coverage so badly on that 2nd goal
Without our lack of scoring their mistakes are going to be magnified. Even the best defenseman have their bad moments and Weber and Suter are the best pair in the league but they are being stretched out too much imo. Without SOB or that type of player who takes the brunt of the punishment off of Weber. Weber is trying to be all things and he can't and no one can he will be worn out by the end of the season let alone the playoffs. Klein's failures are one of the many attribute that further inhance this

Old
12-07-2011, 02:57 PM
Prederator

Quote:
Yep, they were caught standing around and watching the puck...especially Suter. Suter is not playing like he is about to become a free agent.

Prederator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2011, 04:18 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
Okay, first off from the very start of the summer I said that this team wasn't built to compete and I got shouted down by the likes of you for being mr. negativity. Secondly, I have made a ton of friends on these boards outside of the Nashville section as well as within the Nashville section. The only reason I ever considered leaving is mostly because of you. I am not the only one who has complained about you this season either and I am sure the same could be said for me. I don't leave because people don't want me to leave, but you make it really hard sometimes.

Speaking of logic, how logical was it to have the horrid offseason that we have following the best playoff run in franchise history. Please explain that one to me. Please explain how this "window of opportunity" ******** that we have been getting preached has amounted to anything besides resigning pekka which should be done anyway. Talk is cheap. How logical was it to not even attempt to resign O'Brien and replace him with Hillen? This team misses Shane, yet when I was upset with that move I got called out for being too fond of an easily replaceable piece. If he was so easy to replace or upgrade, why hasn't he? Or why has the whole RFA contract debacle been swept under the rug? Because it is Poile's sun who made the gaff? What if we lost players because of that? Do you think Poile's son would've been fired? I don't.

Granted, I've been wrong about somethings too, such as wilson's emergence but I have been right about a lot of things as well. You can throw out all your fancy statistics and compare this season to last season, but more people than myself have seen a drastic fall in the quality of play from this team this year. Are they playing to their full potential? Probably not. Do I believe this team is built to succeed? No I do not. Point is, as a person who has pumped money into the organization, purchased their product, and tried to be an ambassador for the team and inside and outside of the Nashville community, I feel like the fans are being lied to and that rubs me the wrong way. If we are serious about competing and getting to the next level then stop talking about it and just do it. Based on their play this year, throw out all statistics and watch the game. Do you really think they are anywhere as good as they were last year. My answer is no.

Now, I am personally sick of having this fight with you. So after today I have nothing left to say to you. Just because I hold a different opinion about the direction about the direction of this team doesn't mean I am somehow below your intelligence in these conversations. I am certainly not the first nor the last person who is going to have this type of sentiment towards you.

On that note, I am out.
For a team that can't compete they are five points from 4th position in the conference and when they do lose it tends to be after very competitive games.

Offensively this team is better than last season ... more raw talent with the addition of Smith and the growth of Wilson's play , better balance for the top 6/9, more depth. Where the team has taken a step back is defensively. Blum regressed after a great debut late last season. We don't have a partner for Klein. Cube can't stay healthy and isn't playing that great when he is on the ice. About the only bright spot on the blueline so far is Josi in his limited time with the team.

101st_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2011, 04:45 PM
braindead

....agree re Josi but Josi single handedly cost us the Sabres game. What I'm seeing is pretty good play by a group of very young guys that are still making young guy mistakes. Muller plays a great game and then gives it away with one bad play.

I don't think we have a consistent problem. We have a ton of single problems. My current thought (hope?) is that Josi has in fact stabilized the pairings. We need to see 5-10 games but it could be problem solved.

Still lots of smaller mistakes to correct. Most could be solved by moving our feet more, like getting some forward support for the D on the breakouts.

In short, I think we are stuck with a young streaky team so I have hopes that the streak will break back the other way.

Joe, don't give up!!!

braindead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2011, 05:56 PM
Iron Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by braindead View Post
....agree re Josi but Josi single handedly cost us the Sabres game. What I'm seeing is pretty good play by a group of very young guys that are still making young guy mistakes. Muller plays a great game and then gives it away with one bad play.

I don't think we have a consistent problem. We have a ton of single problems. My current thought (hope?) is that Josi has in fact stabilized the pairings. We need to see 5-10 games but it could be problem solved.

Still lots of smaller mistakes to correct. Most could be solved by moving our feet more, like getting some forward support for the D on the breakouts.

In short, I think we are stuck with a young streaky team so I have hopes that the streak will break back the other way.
Poile alluded to as much at the beginning of the season. Young team, probably be bumpy for a bit, but the team will be better as the season moves on, as young teams are wont to do. Now the results haven't been there the last 2 games, but the team, as a whole, seems to have achieved some level of consistency in terms of effort, at least, over the last 5 or so, that was problematic early on. I think the corner is ahead, I just hope we don't miss it.

Iron Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2011, 08:45 PM
AEM6729

Quote:
Originally Posted by kypredsfan View Post
I agree with this. How in the hell did Sergei get a penalty? He took a worse mugging than Hornqvist receives AND Aucoin dropped the gloves. Isn't that an automatic double minor or something when a player loses the mitts? It should NOT have resulted in a 4 on 4. Sergei even looked at the ref and asked what he did and the ref just sternly pointed to the penalty box. I was about to lose it when the ref did that.
I want to know what the heck the Coyotes' problem was with SK. Someone else was all over him earlier in the game talking crap, and it was really weird how crazy Aucoin got...I guess SK slashed the goalie a little bit and I missed it? But Aucoin doesn't have a lot of PIMs and it was late in the game, it was strange to see him flip out like that. Is SK sleeping with one of their wives or something?!

Quote:
To those of you bashing SK, he shot the puck tonight more than ever. Something obviously was said to him and he's responding. Unfortuneatly, Trotz put him on a freaking line with Halischuk and Spaling. That's BS. Trotz just keeps breaking up lines that used to play well.
But Spaling is a Top 6 forward! Just ask Poile!

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post
I don't care if Trotz is impressed by him. You don't put 3 rookies and Legwand out on the ice 4 on 4 when you have guys that should be out there. At one point during the 4 on 4 he had Smithson and Mueller out there. Tell me that's a coach playing to win? It's chicken ***** hockey. You put your best players out there 4 on 4. Yeah, they played a lot of minutes but so had Phoenix's guys. They also played the night before. There is no excuse for guys not being able to suck it up.
+1! The personnel decisions 4v4 were bizarre.

AEM6729 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2011, 09:33 PM
gopreds19
Formerly gobears19

Quote:
Originally Posted by braindead View Post

Joe, don't give up!!!
The difference is that our young guys don't balance out their mistakes that lead to goals with goals of our own. Muller may play a great game and "create a lot of energy" out there, but he doesn't score. Same for the rest of the muckers out there.

Our youngsters aren't the next Eberle, Nuge, and Kane.

gopreds19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2011, 02:32 AM
kypredsfan
Weber is OUR captain

Blah blah blah. This team is only 2 points behind last years pace and we saw how that worked out. I firmly believe this team is more offensively talented than last years team and I don't even thinks it's that close really. However, we are missing a Ward player though: one who is a great 2 way and really strong on the puck. Also, Pekka has let in some softies. He won't be always doing this. Our biggest need is a 2nd pairing Dman I believe. Anyone else notice a few weeks back when we weren't dumping and chasing? We were forechecking with 3 guys. That's was a new style and exciting. Now we are back to dumping and chasing.

Well that was kinda random but I'm not giving up on this team. Most people, including me, believe next year is gonna be the year anyways. This year is a "give the young guns a shot". How else do they learn? We have a very young team and are only out of #4 spot by 5 freaking points. AND we are scoring more than some very talented offensive teams. Besides, it's not like we've enjoyed success as a fanbase. You won't be awesome every single year, unless you are detroit. Calm down and enjoy the ride. /rant

kypredsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2011, 04:00 AM
sparkle twin
I luv u summertime

Send a message via ICQ to sparkle twin Send a message via AIM to sparkle twin
Quote:
.... when SK has 16 shots coming into tonight's game it is an issue.
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Will Son View Post
Good to see SK winding up more, something must of been said to him
Quote:
Kostitsyn has LESS SHOTS THAN GAMES PLAYED
I was wondering if maybe Kostitsyn was hurt or there was some kind of nagging injury that might be preventing him from shooting. But then I took a little look at his stats from this year and last season.

This season - October 7 - December 6
He has played 21 games. 3 goals 8 assists 11 points. He's -1 with 16 PIM. Zero PPG/SHG/GWG. 19 shots (15.8%)

--He's currently on a 13 game goal-less streak. Only once in those 13 games did he even score a point (3 assists v tor.).

--BUT in the first 9 games he had 3 goals, 5 assists, 8 points, 10 shots on goal. In the last of these 9 games he got hurt (vs TB) and then missed the next 2 games. His stats have taken a tumble since that game.

Last season - October 14 - December 6
He played 22 games. 3 goals 4 assists 7 points. He was -1 with 6 PIM. Zero PPG/SHG/GWG. 17 shots (17.6%)

--That includes an 11 game goal-less streak with a 10 game pointless streak in that.

He finished the last 55 games with 20 goals, 23 assists, 43 points, +11, 14 PIM, 4 PPG, 1 SHG, 2 GWG, 75 shots (26.6%).

--Only twice in that 55 game span did he go more than 3 games without scoring a goal (a 5 game streak and a 10 game streak). And only twice in that 55 game span did he go more than 2 games without a single point.

So basically he's in the same place as he was last season (even slightly better) even though it seems like his play has taken a step back from last year. The last 2 games he has 5 shots so maybe he's starting to come out of whatever funk he was in. Hopefully he can turn it around like he did last season!

sparkle twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2011, 05:58 AM
tserberis*

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkle twin View Post
I was wondering if maybe Kostitsyn was hurt or there was some kind of nagging injury that might be preventing him from shooting. But then I took a little look at his stats from this year and last season.

This season - October 7 - December 6
He has played 21 games. 3 goals 8 assists 11 points. He's -1 with 16 PIM. Zero PPG/SHG/GWG. 19 shots (15.8%)

--He's currently on a 13 game goal-less streak. Only once in those 13 games did he even score a point (3 assists v tor.).

--BUT in the first 9 games he had 3 goals, 5 assists, 8 points, 10 shots on goal. In the last of these 9 games he got hurt (vs TB) and then missed the next 2 games. His stats have taken a tumble since that game.

Last season - October 14 - December 6
He played 22 games. 3 goals 4 assists 7 points. He was -1 with 6 PIM. Zero PPG/SHG/GWG. 17 shots (17.6%)

--That includes an 11 game goal-less streak with a 10 game pointless streak in that.

He finished the last 55 games with 20 goals, 23 assists, 43 points, +11, 14 PIM, 4 PPG, 1 SHG, 2 GWG, 75 shots (26.6%).

--Only twice in that 55 game span did he go more than 3 games without scoring a goal (a 5 game streak and a 10 game streak). And only twice in that 55 game span did he go more than 2 games without a single point.

So basically he's in the same place as he was last season (even slightly better) even though it seems like his play has taken a step back from last year. The last 2 games he has 5 shots so maybe he's starting to come out of whatever funk he was in. Hopefully he can turn it around like he did last season!
Didn't someone mention that Trotz said that he had 3 injuries this season already???
Seems a bit to many in 20 some games. Can throw anybody in the funk.

tserberis* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2011, 06:12 AM
gopreds19
Formerly gobears19

Quote:
Blah blah blah. This team is only 2 points behind last years pace and we saw how that worked out. I firmly believe this team is more offensively talented than last years team and I don't even thinks it's that close really. However, we are missing a Ward player though: one who is a great 2 way and really strong on the puck. Also, Pekka has let in some softies. He won't be always doing this. Our biggest need is a 2nd pairing Dman I believe. Anyone else notice a few weeks back when we weren't dumping and chasing? We were forechecking with 3 guys. That's was a new style and exciting. Now we are back to dumping and chasing.

Well that was kinda random but I'm not giving up on this team. Most people, including me, believe next year is gonna be the year anyways. This year is a "give the young guns a shot". How else do they learn? We have a very young team and are only out of #4 spot by 5 freaking points. AND we are scoring more than some very talented offensive teams. Besides, it's not like we've enjoyed success as a fanbase. You won't be awesome every single year, unless you are detroit. Calm down and enjoy the ride. /rant
I don't think I've ever disagreed more with a single post ever on this board.

gopreds19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2011, 07:37 AM
Roman Yoshi
Ellis too short

Quote:

Right so what happens if weber and suter decide that "to hell with this, take out talents to south beach?" All the sudden that whole next year is our year bullcrap is gone. Not to mention half the team needs new contracts and its no guarantee that Rads is coming back. This year you have 3 of the best players in the world on your team, under contract, and this is the way we prove to two of them we are serious about winning.

I also strongly disagree with you about needing a ward player and needing a #4 dman before a top 3 forward. The main problem with this team is its inherent inability to have sustained offense and relieve pressure off the defensemen. Pretty much every night we are asking our blueliners to do the majority of the heavy lifting which isn't working well with their youth/juggling of pairings. Pekka was burned out after the first 20 games of the season because too many shots and scoring chances were being taken. You can blame all the defense you want, but what the team really needs is a game changer on offense so that we don't have to rely on Pekka making 28 saves a night and only letting the other team score 1 goal to even give us a chance of winning.

Old
12-08-2011, 08:53 AM
darth5
Rowsdower!

I am not a Poile apologist. I do think this team will be much better in Jan-Feb than is is showing right now, as far as results. Several of these losses have been hard to swallow BECAUSE they were winnable without a rookie mistake ending up in the net, or busted coverage trapping the team in their own zone too long, bad change, soft goals at the worst possible time... the list goes on. I mean, one of the Yotes goals was scored while Weber and Suter stood by the crease looking for the puck!

The obvious concern is if the whole gets too deep now, it will be hard to climb out of when points become harder to come by.

darth5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2011, 09:15 AM
kypredsfan
Weber is OUR captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopreds19 View Post
I don't think I've ever disagreed more with a single post ever on this board.
That's fine but the fact is our position right now is no different than most other seasons. We've been panicking too early and often. It's bumpy right now but it doesn't mean it ends that way.

Me? I'm just thrilled to have a team to go watch play. Maybe if I only watched on tv I'd have something to ***** about. But I go to a lot of games so I'm not gonna complain too much. It's enjoyable for myself.

kypredsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2011, 02:01 PM
Milly79

Quote:
Originally Posted by AEM6729 View Post
I want to know what the heck the Coyotes' problem was with SK. Someone else was all over him earlier in the game talking crap, and it was really weird how crazy Aucoin got...I guess SK slashed the goalie a little bit and I missed it?
He took the shot and it hit Barbs straight in the chest or very close to it. As he was crashing the net/going behind it it LOOKED like Aucion bumped him while his stick was following through with the shot and it hit Barbs in the chest and knocked it loose after the whistle was blown. Whether or not he was bumped or did it on purpose, Aucion took offense to it.

Milly79 is offline   Reply With Quote