HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

Caps. vs. Cats. 7:30pm. BankAtlantic Center. 12.5.2011

Old
12-06-2011, 06:55 PM
IafrateOvie34

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCup2012 View Post
Not sure if I would say GLADLY, but it would be a nice replacement. Sadly, it's extremely unlikely we'll be throwing that kind of money at an UFA.
If it is GMGM you are correct, we won't be throwing that kind of money, at least on defense. I guess gladly is a poor word to choose. I like Green and followed him up from the Jrs. The injury thing really worries me though. I want him out West if he ever leaves this team.

IafrateOvie34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 07:04 PM
SufferingCatFan

Panther fan who has 2 sons who wear Ovie jerseys and who comes in peace. Was at yesterday's game.

IMO the Caps miss Green. Consistently poor transition from defense to offense with the result that Caps rarely carried much speed into the offensive zone during the 1st and 2nd periods.

SufferingCatFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 07:05 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by IafrateOvie34 View Post
If it is GMGM you are correct, we won't be throwing that kind of money, at least on defense. I guess gladly is a poor word to choose. I like Green and followed him up from the Jrs. The injury thing really worries me though. I want him out West if he ever leaves this team.
You, me, and probably everyone else....

His contract negotiations should be very interesting.

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 07:45 PM
RandyHolt
Opposite George = GM

vCash: 50
CC12 good work digging up the hit stats, but I have a feeling some of the games hardest hits often dont even qualify as hits. IIRC, dont they require a turnover, or a loss of the puck? A guy taking a huge hit to make a pass and succeeds but is laying on ice doubled over.... I think its not a hit, the googles do nothing to answer it.

I wish the league would track bodychecks, or pancakes. It cant be that difficult.

Regardless, Brouwer and Ovi will lead the charge up front, Erskine on the blue, the rest will largely be watching.

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 08:40 PM
tmljeh19

Quote:
His play contributed to the loss, just like the rest of the team's poor play did for 40 mins. Ever think that if the team played well in front of him for those first 40, that we would have had a better chance to win? Of course you didn't. That wouldn't serve to fuel your Vokoun love affair.

It's rich you're calling people stupid. Learn the game.
First off nothing has to do with me liking Vokoun. I said they both played like crap. Neuvy more so then Vokoun.

I know plenty about the game to know that he was in no mans land on the wrap around, left in a softie on the knuckle puck, has really horrible rebound control and took and bad angle and started to butterfly way too early on another. One goal he had no chance. He stops half of the others we win the game. One of the four and we at least get one point. I've said all along that isn't about Vokoun it's about Neuvy playing horrible. Vokoun is the lesser of the two evils. He is known league wide as a goalie that gets better as the season goes on. Time to hitch the wagon and let him do his thing. Not alternating him game to game. Vokoun is proven in this league. Neuvy is not. Hell at this point I want them to just pick one and stay with one. If its Neuvy I will just be prepare for two lottery picks that's all. Vokoun deserves the starting gig. He is a vet, proven and statistically better right now. If you can't admit that he is statistically better then there is no point for you to be posting here.

tmljeh19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 08:46 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmljeh19 View Post
First off nothing has to do with me liking Vokoun. I said they both played like crap. Neuvy more so then Vokoun.

I know plenty about the game to know that he was in no mans land on the wrap around, left in a softie on the knuckle puck, has really horrible rebound control and took and bad angle and started to butterfly way too early on another. One goal he had no chance. He stops half of the others we win the game. One of the four and we at least get one point. I've said all along that isn't about Vokoun it's about Neuvy playing horrible. Vokoun is the lesser of the two evils. He is known league wide as a goalie that gets better as the season goes on. Time to hitch the wagon and let him do his thing. Not alternating him game to game. Vokoun is proven in this league. Neuvy is not. Hell at this point I want them to just pick one and stay with one. If its Neuvy I will just be prepare for two lottery picks that's all. Vokoun deserves the starting gig. He is a vet, proven and statistically better right now. If you can't admit that he is statistically better then there is no point for you to be posting here.
I've already said Vokoun was having the better season of the two. He's a slightly better shade of crap so far. One has a future on this club, the other doesn't. Your boy is gone after the season....hopefully you'll be posting elsewhere too...

Old
12-06-2011, 08:48 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
CC12 good work digging up the hit stats, but I have a feeling some of the games hardest hits often dont even qualify as hits. IIRC, dont they require a turnover, or a loss of the puck? A guy taking a huge hit to make a pass and succeeds but is laying on ice doubled over.... I think its not a hit, the googles do nothing to answer it.

I wish the league would track bodychecks, or pancakes. It cant be that difficult.

Regardless, Brouwer and Ovi will lead the charge up front, Erskine on the blue, the rest will largely be watching.
If I remember correctly a hit counts if the player has the puck or had it within 3 second of the hit.

EDIT:

Also found this...

Point 47. A hit shall be awarded on any intentional contact between the puck carrier and the opposition which results in the puck carrier losing possession of the puck.
47 A. If the loss of possession is the result of being hit by multiple players, the scorer will award the hit at his discretion
47 B If a penalty results from the intentional contact, no hit shall be awarded
47 C A hit does not need to result in a change of puck possession by a team, just a player
47 D If the player who was hit regains possession of the puck after a definite loss of possession, a hit can still be credited

Last edited by CapitalsCupFantasy: 12-06-2011 at 08:55 PM.
Old
12-07-2011, 02:09 AM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Quote:
Originally Posted by IafrateOvie34 View Post
West? What's west?

Good thing is now all u care about is out of conference. And u have more options.

HSHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2011, 04:10 AM
willch878

Quote:
I've already said Vokoun was having the better season of the two. He's a slightly better shade of crap so far. One has a future on this club, the other doesn't. Your boy is gone after the season....hopefully you'll be posting elsewhere too...
A future as our backup?

Because I shudder at the thought of Neuvirth being our long-term #1 goalie.

willch878 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2011, 06:30 AM
IafrateOvie34

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSHS View Post
West? What's west?

Good thing is now all u care about is out of conference. And u have more options.
Yeah, old habits are hard to break. This next season will be a real adjustment, lol.

IafrateOvie34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2011, 08:11 AM
tmljeh19

Quote:
Again I could careless whether Vokoun is here next year or not. But don't let me stop you from beating the I love Vokoun drum. Works well for you since you dont add much more then that.

So let me get this straight. We should play Neuvy just because he is under contract for more then just this year? Play the one with a sub .800 sv%? Idk about you but I'd like them to try and win the cup this year. I know that sounds too crazy for you apparently.

Old
12-07-2011, 08:13 AM
tmljeh19

Quote:
Originally Posted by willch878 View Post
A future as our backup?

A sub .800 sv% so far this season doesn't excite you? It sure does cc12!

Old
12-07-2011, 11:08 AM
WetHog

Send a message via MSN to WetHog
Quote:
I guess you didn't follow the Caps last year. Neuvy set a Caps rookie record for wins, was named NHL star of the month last year, and stood on his head for the majority of last season while the team transitioned to a defensive system.

But go ahead, judge the kid on a quarter of a season where he has been forced to play a backup role he isnt accustom to.

And speaking about Neuvy victimized on a wrap around and poor rebound control, you should go back and watch the St. Louis game again. You would see Nuevy learned those bad habits from the master, #29.

WetHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2011, 11:23 AM
Liberati0n
Full Hammock

Quote:
Originally Posted by WetHog View Post
Neuvy set a Caps rookie record for wins
Thinking that this has anything to do with anything pretty much shreds your credibility completely.
Quote:
and stood on his head for the majority of last season while the team transitioned to a defensive system.
He played well in October, and was decent the rest of the year. Last season, he was an average starter. He did not "stand on his head," and Varlamov, in fewer games, yes, outperformed him by a significant margin.

Obviously that guy drunksuperhero is letting his emotions get the best of him when he classifies Neuvirth as the worst goalie in the league. The highest level of play Neuvirth has achieved consistently in the NHL is a very average one. This season, his play has arguably indeed been the worst in the league among goalies. The fact that he plays better with a heavier workload is an excuse in the end. He obviously has some potential, and his success in lower leagues is a positive sign, but he has shown very little in the NHL, and anointing him as the team's long-term, permanent starter would be just plain irresponsible at this point.

Liberati0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2011, 11:43 AM
WetHog

Send a message via MSN to WetHog
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonsofcain View Post
Thinking that this has anything to do with anything pretty much shreds your credibility completely.

He played well in October, and was decent the rest of the year. Last season, he was an average starter. He did not "stand on his head," and Varlamov, in fewer games, yes, outperformed him by a significant margin.

Obviously that guy drunksuperhero is letting his emotions get the best of him when he classifies Neuvirth as the worst goalie in the league. The highest level of play Neuvirth has achieved consistently in the NHL is a very average one. This season, his play has arguably indeed been the worst in the league among goalies. The fact that he plays better with a heavier workload is an excuse in the end. He obviously has some potential, and his success in lower leagues is a positive sign, but he has shown very little in the NHL, and anointing him as the team's long-term, permanent starter would be just plain irresponsible at this point.
Just like you, I am a nobody posting on a message board under an alias. Credibility does not concern me. But if my credibility is crap why do you respond to my posts.

And I was simply stating Neuvy had a solid rookie year. Thats it.

WetHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2011, 01:03 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by willch878 View Post
A future as our backup?

Possibly, but he's all we have under contract.

Old
12-07-2011, 01:04 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
167 posts and most of what you've written is *****ing about your boy Chokoun or me....

I appreciate the adoration from the masses. Don't get me wrong...

Old
12-07-2011, 01:11 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
I guess you didn't follow the Caps last year. Neuvy set a Caps rookie record for wins, was named NHL star of the month last year, and stood on his head for the majority of last season while the team transitioned to a defensive system.

But go ahead, judge the kid on a quarter of a season where he has been forced to play a backup role he isnt accustom to.

And speaking about Neuvy victimized on a wrap around and poor rebound control, you should go back and watch the St. Louis game again. You would see Nuevy learned those bad habits from the master, #29.
Dude don't go using in-game facts....he won't know how to respond.

First sign of anyone struggling and these new Caps "fans" are in meltdown mode. Comical...I wonder how they would have reacted the year before Ovy was drafted. Those were bad bad times...these are just roadbumps.

I've acknowledged that Neuvy has been a worse shade of crap this year as opposed to Vokoun who has been a slightly more appealing shade of crap, but I'm still somehow toting the "Neuvy should be the starter". Of course I've never said other than last game where he earned a the start (and Hunter clearly agreed)....and subsequently crapped the bed, just like his teammates.

Old
12-07-2011, 01:14 PM
tmljeh19

Quote:

All those stats are great from last year. What do they mean this year? Nothing. What do his Calder Cups mean this year? Nothing. While both wins and Cups were nice and impressive at times, they aren't doing him a whole hell of a lot of good now. He is better worse. Ilhe isn't getting better as the year goes on he is getting worse. Not even maintaining his mediocre play, but getting worse. I have no personal vendeta against him or for Vokoun I just want to see the Caps win games. Whether that's Neuvy, Vokoun, Holtby, Grubauer or whomever. Nothing would please me more then seeing Neuvy take over and dominate and be our goalie solution next year but I don't see that at least not here. He has been god awful this year.

Old
12-07-2011, 01:36 PM
Duke33

Quote:
All those stats are great from last year. What do they mean this year? Nothing. What do his Calder Cups mean this year? Nothing. While both wins and Cups were nice and impressive at times, they aren't doing him a whole hell of a lot of good now. He is better worse. Ilhe isn't getting better as the year goes on he is getting worse. Not even maintaining his mediocre play, but getting worse. I have no personal vendeta against him or for Vokoun I just want to see the Caps win games. Whether that's Neuvy, Vokoun, Holtby, Grubauer or whomever. Nothing would please me more then seeing Neuvy take over and dominate and be our goalie solution next year but I don't see that at least not here. He has been god awful this year.
I agree with the others to a point. You can't judge him on a few games this year, not when he does have a recent body of work that says he's a quality goalie. My concern is though, is that he's letting in too many soft goals, even for a guy who's been getting backup duties. Some of those shots you simply have to stop. But then he's also made some amazing saves this season so go figure.

Now whether the inconsistency is from not playing as much or a drop in skill, I don't know. But Vokoun hasn't been that much better. In fact I expected a lot more from him based on his recent body of work as well.

Duke33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2011, 02:56 PM
Click Here
You know you want to

Quote:
Obviously that guy drunksuperhero is letting his emotions get the best of him when he classifies Neuvirth as the worst goalie in the league.
Quote:
This season, his play has arguably indeed been the worst in the league among goalies.
exactly. nothing to do with emotions and everything to do with watching every goalie in the league. only mason has been as bad or worse, and hes on the shelf right now. shame neuvy isnt, eh?

there are 3 types of player that i dont view through cloudy, rose-colored glasses like some/most seem to: the jeff schultz (a never-was), the cody eakin (a maybe-one-day but not close right now) and the michael neuvirth (resting on laurels...that hes never ever EARNED).

a marginal talent with nothing impressive on his NHL resume and an entirely unappealing upside. he wont be around for long, though, whatev. not if the caps are serious about winning a championship any time soon, anyway. hes not alone in that boat...actually, its pretty darn full.

Click Here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2011, 03:30 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunksuperhero View Post
exactly. nothing to do with emotions and everything to do with watching every goalie in the league. only mason has been as bad or worse, and hes on the shelf right now. shame neuvy isnt, eh?

there are 3 types of player that i dont view through cloudy, rose-colored glasses like some/most seem to: the jeff schultz (a never-was), the cody eakin (a maybe-one-day but not close right now) and the michael neuvirth (resting on laurels...that hes never ever EARNED).

a marginal talent with nothing impressive on his NHL resume and an entirely unappealing upside. he wont be around for long, though, whatev. not if the caps are serious about winning a championship any time soon, anyway. hes not alone in that boat...actually, its pretty darn full.
If you didn't go into overreaction/chicken little/the sky is falling mode at the first sign of adversity, people would be more accepting of your posts....just sayin...

Fairly certain they see your posts and immediately go into mode.

Time will tell on Neuvy, but unless he's traded, be prepared for more of him this year and next. And what are you basing the "worst goalie in the league" comment on, NHL.com's stat list?

Old
12-07-2011, 04:46 PM
Click Here
You know you want to

Quote:
If you didn't go into overreaction/chicken little/the sky is falling mode at the first sign of adversity

neuvy has sucked from the first game of the year while being average before that, as i pointed out while the nutchuggers kept deflecting. not gulping that koolaid like you doesnt make one chicken little.

Quote:
people would be more accepting of your posts....just sayin...

Fairly certain they see your posts and immediately go into mode.
could not care even the slightest bit less, but its funny that you think you can speak for anyone other than yourself, nevermind everyone.

and if you think "people" dont see your rose-tinted, been-registered-for-9-years-so-you-think-you're-special posts and ... i dont know what to tell ya, high horse.

Quote:
Time will tell on Neuvy, but unless he's traded, be prepared for more of him this year and next.
of course. GMGM doesnt have the stones to take the trash out. but thats not all that long anyway.

Quote:
And what are you basing the "worst goalie in the league" comment on, NHL.com's stat list?
watching hockey every night of the week, and more on weekends. stats, including advanced ones, help. and it really doesnt take much attention at all to know these things. what are you basing your predictable defense on, exactly?

have some patience. the caps might win the cup in another 40 years.

Click Here is offline   Reply With Quote