HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Mike Sauer out with concussion (1/18: Still "month-to-month")

Closed Thread

Old
12-07-2011, 04:32 PM
Jumbo*
TARGET: ACQUIRED

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonialsHockey10 View Post
RB mentioned somewhere that he was walking around in the weight-room after the game. He got up under his own power. Torterella says day-to-day. All I'm saying is Tort's could have given a much worse initial diagnosis.

And FYI, MDZ averages more ESTOI/G then Sauer this season, and 4 minutes more in TOI/G. He's better then some people here think.
A whole 6 seconds more ES? Really?

And he plays the PP so obviously he is going to have more total one ice time then him.

I hope i'm wrong, but Del Zotto will be exposed a lot more without Sauer there. Will he be brutal? No. But there will be a lot more head shaking going on when he's on the ice.

Old
12-07-2011, 04:35 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
No trade. Not now anyway. They'll just call up Bell or Bickel for a few games. Maybe Erixon gets another look once he's healthy.

Clean hit BTW.

Old
12-07-2011, 05:40 PM
White Plains Batman
Faceoffs? Faceoffs!!

They're going to go with these 6 now until Erixon is healthy. I just hope Strahlman can concentrate on the D and not worry about offense unless he's on the PP.

The thing that scares me with Sauer is the medical history of his brother who is still out with one of these. I know him and his brother are different people but look at the Lindros brothers for example. Same genes.

Also, what's the deal in Connecticut? Are any of these kids ready to play 3rd pairing minutes besides Erixon? How has Blake Parlett looked? Has V-Tank been better since his groin has healed?

I don't want to s$^& on Sauer at all because I love him and I want him to get well and be on this team for the next decade, but I could totally see him being the one traded down the road as part of a package and McLIrath takes his spot. The reason is the health concerns. He just really has some bad luck all throughout his career with last year being the only truly full year he's ever played.

Old
12-07-2011, 05:49 PM
Pizza

Quote:
LOL where the hell did that sass come from?

I said he's better then those 3 in my post, and I am well aware of the impact he makes in our line-up. I'm just saying it's not the end of the world.
Sorry dude. Just pissed off as hell right now about this.

Old
12-07-2011, 06:12 PM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

I'm going to be honest, I am having trouble understanding why this is not being classified as a headshot. MY PERSONAL OPINION is that is was a clean hit, I am talking strictly UNDER THE RULES.

Yes, Phanuef made contact with the body as well, but he hit him chin to jaw. Moreover Pacioretty also made split body/head contact in this video:

Honest question, it doesn't matter now anyway.

12-07-2011, 06:18 PM
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman

It was clean, north south.

Patches was more so east west.

Old
12-07-2011, 06:22 PM
Fitzy
Relative to what?

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
No trade. Not now anyway. They'll just call up Bell or Bickel for a few games. Maybe Erixon gets another look once he's healthy.

Clean hit BTW.
I completely forgot we had Bell.

Welcome to full time NYR duty Anton Stralman, I guess.

I wish we had Erixon available right not.

12-07-2011, 06:34 PM
Callagraves
Block shots

Quote:
Originally Posted by HatTrick Swayze View Post
I'm going to be honest, I am having trouble understanding why this is not being classified as a headshot. MY PERSONAL OPINION is that is was a clean hit, I am talking strictly UNDER THE RULES.

Yes, Phanuef made contact with the body as well, but he hit him chin to jaw. Moreover Pacioretty also made split body/head contact in this video:

Honest question, it doesn't matter now anyway.

Likely beacuse the head was not the principal point of contact, and it's clear that head was not targeted. Phaneuf is a fair amount taller than Sauer, to the point that Sauers head, in all fairness, is at Dion's shoulder level.

Contact to the head is not illgeal. Targeted, isolated contact to the head is.

Old
12-07-2011, 06:58 PM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callagraves View Post
Likely beacuse the head was not the principal point of contact, and it's clear that head was not targeted. Phaneuf is a fair amount taller than Sauer, to the point that Sauers head, in all fairness, is at Dion's shoulder level.

Contact to the head is not illgeal. Targeted, isolated contact to the head is.
Good answer, thank you.

Old
12-07-2011, 07:13 PM
BroadwayBlues
Angel Grove

Hey remember how the defense looked earlier when both Staal AND Sauer were out?

Well that's likely what we'll be seeing.

Old
12-07-2011, 07:52 PM
ColonialsHockey10

Quote:
Originally Posted by HagelinFan62 View Post
A whole 6 seconds more ES? Really?

And he plays the PP so obviously he is going to have more total one ice time then him.

I hope i'm wrong, but Del Zotto will be exposed a lot more without Sauer there. Will he be brutal? No. But there will be a lot more head shaking going on when he's on the ice.
Yes lol, a whole 6 seconds, even if it was 6 seconds less, means a ton when people make ridiculous claims like "he's playing like a 2nd pairing defenseman due to Sauer". That's why I didn't just include TOI/G, Even Strength stats shows Torts trust Del Zotto a ton. Del Zotto is immensely talented, and was once talked about in the same breath as Stamkos, he has the potential to be a game-changer someday. People here have such short memories.

And that's whats been special about Del Zotto this season, aside from a few bad giveaways, missed shorts and errant passes, he hasn't made mistakes that Sauer needed to cover for him. No he hasn't been as good as McDonagh or Girardi, but if you reread most of our PGT's, he's always included in peoples good games.

Old
12-07-2011, 07:56 PM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

I dont care if the hit was clean, someone should've kicked Phaneuf's ass. And since it didnt happen that game it better damn well happen the next time we play those clowns.

Old
12-07-2011, 07:57 PM
ColonialsHockey10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza View Post
Sorry dude. Just pissed off as hell right now about this.
No worries dude, we're all frustrated.

Old
12-07-2011, 08:48 PM
SnowblindNYR

Can someone tell me what exactly Day to Day means? Is that good news or do they just have no clue when he comes back? Was Staal considered day to day in the beginning? I don't remember.

Old
12-07-2011, 08:52 PM
ltrangerfan

Quote:
Yes lol, a whole 6 seconds, even if it was 6 seconds less, means a ton when people make ridiculous claims like "he's playing like a 2nd pairing defenseman due to Sauer". That's why I didn't just include TOI/G, Even Strength stats shows Torts trust Del Zotto a ton. Del Zotto is immensely talented, and was once talked about in the same breath as Stamkos, he has the potential to be a game-changer someday. People here have such short memories.

And that's whats been special about Del Zotto this season, aside from a few bad giveaways, missed shorts and errant passes, he hasn't made mistakes that Sauer needed to cover for him. No he hasn't been as good as McDonagh or Girardi, but if you reread most of our PGT's, he's always included in peoples good games.
I don't believe that MDZ has played poorly this year. I was impressed with his defensive play for the most part. I believe DZ needs to dial his offensive game back to zero (no freelancing, etc) and spend all his time playing a very conservative style. The risk taking needs to end until the Defensive core returns. As DZ is becoming more comfortable with his game the errors are beginning to build.

Old
12-07-2011, 08:53 PM
Blatant
Formerly NYRFan1823

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGY View Post
I dont care if the hit was clean, someone should've kicked Phaneuf's ass. And since it didnt happen that game it better damn well happen the next time we play those clowns.
We were trying to get points out of the game, and complete a comeback. There was not a lot of time left, and we couldn't afford penalties.

Old
12-07-2011, 08:55 PM
clmetsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGY View Post
Going after a guy to take revenge for a clean hit and putting your team on the penalty kill when you trail by a goal in the final 5 minutes is the definition of stupid.

Old
12-07-2011, 08:58 PM
Callagraves
Block shots

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowblindNYR View Post
Can someone tell me what exactly Day to Day means? Is that good news or do they just have no clue when he comes back? Was Staal considered day to day in the beginning? I don't remember.
Day to day is generally considered better than week to week.

They don't appear to have a schedule for his return. He could miss as few as 2 games, or 12. Basically, they' haven't ruled out the possibility of a quick return.

Old
12-07-2011, 09:03 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Im PRAYING Mike gets to 100% and comes back soon.

We NEED Sauer.

Folks don't realize how good he is.

Old
12-07-2011, 09:03 PM
SnowblindNYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callagraves View Post
Day to day is generally considered better than week to week.

They don't appear to have a schedule for his return. He could miss as few as 2 games, or 12. Basically, they' haven't ruled out the possibility of a quick return.
Thanks.

Old
12-07-2011, 09:33 PM
White Plains Batman
Faceoffs? Faceoffs!!

The problem with concussions is they always start as day to day. Depends on how fast the symptoms subside, then they reevaluate them etc.

Kris Letang was at first day to day and now he's week to week. So no one knows.

Old
12-07-2011, 10:23 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltrangerfan View Post
I don't believe that MDZ has played poorly this year. I was impressed with his defensive play for the most part. I believe DZ needs to dial his offensive game back to zero (no freelancing, etc) and spend all his time playing a very conservative style. The risk taking needs to end until the Defensive core returns. As DZ is becoming more comfortable with his game the errors are beginning to build.
Part of Del Zotto's game is the offensive abilities he has--he needs to use them to be effective. Defensemen not only need to prevent offensive play in their zone, they have to get the puck out of the defensive zone--hopefully in a way that gives the offense a chance to spend time attacking.

The best defense is a good offense.

Old
12-07-2011, 10:33 PM
ColonialsHockey10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltrangerfan View Post
That's exactly what he's done. Very few stretch passes that ultimately lead to icings or interceptions, he hasn't been caught pinching at bad times. He's played very error free.

His breakout passes have been very very good. Top two-way defenseman should focus on defense and transition first and foremost, and pinch only at opportune times, which he has. However, he's been a bit lackluster on the PP, but that's for another discussion.

Guys like Nick Lidstrom (all you illiterate folk out there, no comparison is being made between them) focus on defense first and foremost, unless they're on the power play. A good breakout pass will do wonder at even strength in terms of offense. MDZ may not be the best skater, but his vision and skill allows for him to have a great transition game.

Old
12-07-2011, 10:46 PM
ltrangerfan

Quote:
That's exactly what he's done. Very few stretch passes that ultimately lead to icings or interceptions, he hasn't been caught pinching at bad times. He's played very error free.

His breakout passes have been very very good. Top two-way defenseman should focus on defense and transition first and foremost, and pinch only at opportune times, which he has. However, he's been a bit lackluster on the PP, but that's for another discussion.

Guys like Nick Lidstrom (all you illiterate folk out there, no comparison is being made between them) focus on defense first and foremost, unless they're on the power play. A good breakout pass will do wonder at even strength in terms of offense. MDZ may not be the best skater, but his vision and skill allows for him to have a great transition game.
I understand what you and Brooklyn Ranger are saying.

I believe that MDZ's defensive game is beginning to slip. I believe I am seeing the poor judgement, "risky passes", caught out of position, sometimes poor shot selection, etc beginning to creep into his game.
I wasn't seeing this the first 15 (?) games of the season. I believe MDZ's game started to slip as he started to become more aggressive with his offensive game.

I might be totally off base but my prediction is that we will see more negative results from DZ as the games move forward. The loss of Sauer (hopefully for a few games) might illuminate MDZ's defensive play. We can debate the issue but it's a pointless exercise. MDZ's play will dictate who was right.

Old
12-08-2011, 12:00 AM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

Sauer has a history with concussions. I'm not optimistic about a quick return and neither should anyone else. I'd be shocked.

Closed Thread