Notices

Ducks 2011-12 Roster Discussion pt deux

Old
12-07-2011, 03:27 PM
lumberjack

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumperkisser View Post
randy gave him plenty of chances.. people here were sighing going FINALLY.. now we can see RPG instead of belesky up there because hes useless.. not to mention the tons of people *****ing at belesky being up there before he was waived
Ya Randy gave him a ton of chances. If you call less than 6 minutes per game tons of chances Probably the reason he got waived through was players in the west are unknown to a lot of teams as per BB comment in the in the LA times, his stats were non existent and his one way deal. His stats speak for themselves over the last 5 games. He is not perfect but he works his tail off and can contribute on any line.

lumberjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2011, 03:44 PM
Ducks DVM
There is no grunion

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumberjack View Post
Ya Randy gave him a ton of chances. If you call less than 6 minutes per game tons of chances Probably the reason he got waived through was players in the west are unknown to a lot of teams as per BB comment in the in the LA times, his stats were non existent and his one way deal. His stats speak for themselves over the last 5 games. He is not perfect but he works his tail off and can contribute on any line.
Nice made up stat as Beleskey averages 9:31 TOI this year.

Beleskey played 19 games under Carlyle. In 9 of those game he played over 9 minutes, over 11 in 7 of them. Several of those games were time on the top line while Ryan was on the 2nd. Over those 9 games he had 10 shots, 0G, 0A, 0P. He had a more than reasonable opportunity to perform and did nothing with it.

Ducks DVM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2011, 06:38 PM
DuckshaveaRPG

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPGallINYAface View Post
We are not trading Visnovsky. He makes $3M dollars next season, what defenseman can you possibly bring in under or around $3M that will be around his caliber?
Dumdba and Reilly take your pick i say that if the season is truly done for us trade him for a good/prospect or young roster player plus a first i suggested early of Lubo + 3rd to Minn (i dont belive they last the year) for 2012 1st plus Marco Scandella

DuckshaveaRPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2011, 06:54 PM
davidy2d
Heater Clap Bombs

Relying on prospects to step in for nhl vets is the fastest way to success....

davidy2d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2011, 06:56 PM
Kalvinators
hurrr-durrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckshaveaRPG View Post
Dumdba and Reilly take your pick i say that if the season is truly done for us trade him for a good/prospect or young roster player plus a first i suggested early of Lubo + 3rd to Minn (i dont belive they last the year) for 2012 1st plus Marco Scandella
This won`t go through. And if it does... do we really need Scandella - another young D -man?

Kalvinators is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2011, 07:37 PM
DuckshaveaRPG

i think Lubo is the best assist to move he old, banged up and has been replaced by fowler in my eyes as the top offensive guy i think we should look to move him if we getting a decent return it just depends on what you see team direction going because as a internal budget team the Free Agent market is not so free to us plus we have Justin and Sami bidding they time. i like scandella cos i think he would be a great guy to potenialyy match with fowler or Schultz or Sami as he is responsible in his on end seems to be improving his offensive game nicely and loves to hit and is a big physical young D man

Old
12-07-2011, 08:12 PM
Paul4587

As I posted in the Syracuse thread, Palmieri deserves a look at the NHL level. I would like to see one of the following scenarios tried at least temporarily to see if it works:

Ryan - Getzlaf - Perry
Palmieri - Koivu - Selanne
Hagman - Cogs - DSP
Jacques - Macenauer - Parros

With Beleskey as the scratch, Gordon to the AHL.

Or, call up both Palmieri and Holland with the lines as follows:

Ryan - Getzlaf - Perry
Cogs - Koivu - Selanne
Hagman - Holland - Palmieri
DSP - Macenauer - Parros

Beleskey scratched, Gordon to the AHL. Either keep Jacques as the 14th guy or send him down, it doesn't really matter.

We've got nothing to lose at this point and with Palmieri tearing up the AHL and the Ducks needing second line holes to be filled next year he deserves a spot.

Paul4587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2011, 08:55 PM
Selanne138

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul4587 View Post
As I posted in the Syracuse thread, Palmieri deserves a look at the NHL level. I would like to see one of the following scenarios tried at least temporarily to see if it works:

Ryan - Getzlaf - Perry
Palmieri - Koivu - Selanne
Hagman - Cogs - DSP
Jacques - Macenauer - Parros

With Beleskey as the scratch, Gordon to the AHL.

Or, call up both Palmieri and Holland with the lines as follows:

Ryan - Getzlaf - Perry
Cogs - Koivu - Selanne
Hagman - Holland - Palmieri
DSP - Macenauer - Parros

Beleskey scratched, Gordon to the AHL. Either keep Jacques as the 14th guy or send him down, it doesn't really matter.

We've got nothing to lose at this point and with Palmieri tearing up the AHL and the Ducks needing second line holes to be filled next year he deserves a spot.
Do you think there is any chance they would try KP with Getzlaf and Perry on the top unit? It seems to me that every time Ryan-Koivu-Selanne plays together they are successful, but its never tried for more than a few games at a time. Seems to bring out the best in Bobby. But if for some reason it falters I would like that first lineup tried. Second is very interesting too, but I think Boudreau likes having the center depth that Cogs gives us on the third line, but I guess weil see where he wants to go. I like the third line were using now, seems to bring a lot of energy.

Selanne138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2011, 05:54 AM
Elvs

vCash: 708
Quote:
i think Lubo is the best assist to move he old, banged up and has been replaced by fowler in my eyes as the top offensive guy i think we should look to move him if we getting a decent return it just depends on what you see team direction going because as a internal budget team the Free Agent market is not so free to us plus we have Justin and Sami bidding they time. i like scandella cos i think he would be a great guy to potenialyy match with fowler or Schultz or Sami as he is responsible in his on end seems to be improving his offensive game nicely and loves to hit and is a big physical young D man
Fowler isn't even on pace for 40 points (not that it's bad, but it's not numbers of a #1 PMD). Sure Lubo isn't even on pace for 30 points right now but for a guy who's been pretty much consistantly in the 50-70 point area past lockout I think it's a little too early to count him out. He's getting up there in age, but 35 isn't THAT old, and at $3 mil next year he wouldn't even have to be that great even to be a bargain. Moving him just opens a whole which the team won't be able to fill for the same money in the offseason. I'd say keep him, at $3 mil there will still be enough salary room to bring in a new top pairing defenseman should the Ducks find one...

Elvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2011, 11:03 AM
habsjunkie2*

Was looking at Saku's stats the other day and he seems to be doing ok again this year, on pace for 45-50 points. One of few players who wasn't a negative in plus/minus.

How has his play been on most nights and do you think he has another year in the league beyond this year?

The reason I ask is because I would like the habs to bring him in as 3rd line center next year and have him retire a hab if the Ducks no longer see him in the plans, thoughts?

habsjunkie2* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2011, 11:23 AM
JabbaJabba

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsjunkie2 View Post
Was looking at Saku's stats the other day and he seems to be doing ok again this year, on pace for 45-50 points. One of few players who wasn't a negative in plus/minus.

How has his play been on most nights and do you think he has another year in the league beyond this year?

The reason I ask is because I would like the habs to bring him in as 3rd line center next year and have him retire a hab if the Ducks no longer see him in the plans, thoughts?
Saku had a slow start but has been better lately. Koivu could be an awesome 3rd line center but I'm not sure if he wants to go back to Montreal. He definitely has few years left in him. I would like to keep him on the Ducks as 3rd line center with a possibility to substitute as a 2nd line center if we don't get anyone for that job/injuries.

JabbaJabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2011, 12:02 PM
snarktacular
Ducks tank is on!

Quote:
Why do you keep calling him Dumdba? Is it like some kind of teasing nickname/play on Lebda?

And Fowler and Lubo are different offensive players IMO. One cannot replace the other. Lubo has the shot and can be a PP quarterback. Fowler cannot. I'm not sure we have a big shot quarterback in our system. Maybe Vatanen. Schultz sounds more like another rover type.

snarktacular is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2011, 12:23 PM
DuckshaveaRPG

Quote:
Originally Posted by snarktacular View Post
Why do you keep calling him Dumdba? Is it like some kind of teasing nickname/play on Lebda?

And 1)Fowler and Lubo are different offensive players IMO. One cannot replace the other. Lubo has the shot 2)and can be a PP quarterback. Fowler cannot. I'm not sure we have a big shot quarterback in our system. Maybe Vatanen. Schultz sounds more like another rover type.
i just like the look of db like that prob mental problems coming back

1) agree
2) are you really saying fowler could not run a PP ?

Old
12-08-2011, 01:06 PM
Gliff
Wild Bill

Quote:

1) agree
He would not be a threat to shoot.

Gliff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2011, 01:46 PM
Emerald Duck

Quote:
Originally Posted by gliff View Post
He would not be a threat to shoot.
He scored 10 goals last year - many of those were from the point.

You don't have to have a howitzer to be a threat from the blue line (i.e., Scott Niedermayer). Some dmen have a shot and little else (MA Bergeron, Kurtis Foster). Very few dmen have both the shot and accuracy to just blow it past an unscreened goalie. Most dmen will score based on their ability to get the shot through traffic and based on an effective screen from a forward. Fowler's shot won't have a goalie checking his teeth after striking his mask, but it is still effective.

Lubo certainly adds a extra dimension to the PP with his shot, but if he could be moved for other pieces to help the club (not scraps and pucks), then I would be very comfortable with Fowler at the PP QB, even if his style is more a rover than a point shot. He can shoot, and he will shoot with some success.

Emerald Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2011, 02:28 PM
snarktacular
Ducks tank is on!

Quote:

1) agree
I guess it's true he possibly could run a powerplay like how Niedermayer did in 05-06, or how Boyle does. It's not easy to do it that way. It also would put a LOT of pressure on the other point-man, as he would then have to essentially man the point singlehandedly.

That's what was good about Pronger, he had such a huge reach a good hand-eye coordination. He could knock down the pucks and stop clears by himself while Niedermayer did his thing. Do we have anybody like that to help Fowler?

Here's some numbers. Our PP was only middle of pack in 05-06 without Pronger (15th). The years Niedermayer and Pronger played together they were 3rd and 5th. The Pronger only half-year (with Cup hangover) they were 20th. But then with only Niedermayer and Whitney/Visnovsky they were 5th. Last year with Visnovsky they were 3rd. Who knows what that means.

snarktacular is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2011, 03:12 PM
Paul4587

Quote:
Originally Posted by snarktacular View Post
Here's some numbers. Our PP was only middle of pack in 05-06 without Pronger (15th). The years Niedermayer and Pronger played together they were 3rd and 5th. The Pronger only half-year (with Cup hangover) they were 20th. But then with only Niedermayer and Whitney/Visnovsky they were 5th. Last year with Visnovsky they were 3rd. Who knows what that means.
I'd say it means when we have Selanne we're top 5 (apart from 2005-06), when we don't (07-08) we're bottom 10.

The PP does definitely perform better with a shooting defenseman at the point though. We've been spoiled by having Pronger and now Visnovsky, two of the best PP QBs in the league.

Paul4587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2011, 09:01 PM
Ducks DVM
There is no grunion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvstrand View Post
Fowler isn't even on pace for 40 points (not that it's bad, but it's not numbers of a #1 PMD). Sure Lubo isn't even on pace for 30 points right now but for a guy who's been pretty much consistantly in the 50-70 point area past lockout I think it's a little too early to count him out. He's getting up there in age, but 35 isn't THAT old, and at $3 mil next year he wouldn't even have to be that great even to be a bargain. Moving him just opens a whole which the team won't be able to fill for the same money in the offseason. I'd say keep him, at $3 mil there will still be enough salary room to bring in a new top pairing defenseman should the Ducks find one...
Fowler is on pace for 39.48 points. 0.52 points less than 40 and matching last year isn't bad for a 19 year old #1 IMO, especially in a year where everyone else not named Selanne was on pace for near career lows through 20 games.....

Ducks DVM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2011, 01:07 PM
Gibson Les Palms

vCash: 814
PSCrunchhockey

Palmieri and McMillan might be called up. Holick said they were unavailable for practice

Gibson Les Palms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2011, 01:21 PM
Elvs

vCash: 708
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducks DVM View Post
Fowler is on pace for 39.48 points. 0.52 points less than 40 and matching last year isn't bad for a 19 year old #1 IMO, especially in a year where everyone else not named Selanne was on pace for near career lows through 20 games.....
Exactly what I said. He's good for his age, in fact great for his age. But in regards of being a #1 I don't care how good you are for your age, you're either a #1 or you're not. Fowler isn't, he has the upside to become one. Until then, the Ducks are better off keeping Visnovksy (or bring in someone else if Lubo keeps struggling).

Elvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2011, 01:23 PM
DuckshaveaRPG

would it possible to run the PP with fowler and getzlaf in which when cam goes "rover" that getzlaf just circles over and fills a point spot and vice versa ?

Old
12-09-2011, 01:27 PM
JabbaJabba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesus Teemu View Post
PSCrunchhockey

Palmieri and McMillan might be called up. Holick said they were unavailable for practice
Well that's interesting. I guess that BB wants to try few things if they really are getting called up. Excited about Palmieri.

JabbaJabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2011, 01:29 PM
DuckshaveaRPG

Meszaros for Lubo + ?

Old
12-09-2011, 02:39 PM
Duck Off
HF needs an App

Quote:
Originally Posted by JabbaJabba View Post
Well that's interesting. I guess that BB wants to try few things if they really are getting called up. Excited about Palmieri.
Sounds like Koivu may miss time

Duck Off is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2011, 02:41 PM
master4071

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesus Teemu View Post
PSCrunchhockey

So maybe,

Hagman - Getzlaf - Perry
Ryan - Cogliano - Selanne
McMillan - Bonino - Palmieri
Beleskey - Macenauer - Parros

if Saku won't be ready...

master4071 is offline   Reply With Quote