HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Pohl Called up again

Closed Thread

Old
10-31-2003, 08:53 PM
c-carp

vCash: 500
Pohl Called up again

The Blues have called up John Pohl again www.stlouisblues.com I dont know if he will Play But Mellanby is out tommorow so I guess he will. Lets hope we finally make it through a game without getting someone hurt.

Old
11-01-2003, 01:41 AM
Felix

Send a message via ICQ to Felix
Quote:
Originally Posted by c-carp
The Blues have called up John Pohl again www.stlouisblues.com I dont know if he will Play But Mellanby is out tommorow so I guess he will. Lets hope we finally make it through a game without getting someone hurt.
Seems like he won't play. Read stltoday.com. Q said that it's nice to have a healthy reserve forward or so...

And I'd pe pissed off If he would not paly. I just wonder why Q does not want to give him a chance with all that injuries...

Old
11-01-2003, 03:07 AM

Don't the Blues already have a healthy reserve forward in Eric Nickulas?

Old
11-01-2003, 03:54 AM
degroat*

Q was interviewed yesterday on the KW show... basically said it's doubtful that Pohl will play.

Old
11-01-2003, 06:26 AM
MN_Gopher

Isn't all this traveling hurting Pohl. I realize players always travel but they also play too. He is not going to have a full season anywhere at this rate, the kid needs to play. He is a very talented player but not playing will hurt anyone.

Old
11-01-2003, 07:30 AM

To my knowledge Pohl hasn't missed an IceCats' game to date this season (although he will miss tonight's)...I don't see it being too much of an issue unless he goes a couple weeks without playing (and that ain't gunna happen).

Old
11-01-2003, 05:37 PM
coolhandluke2410
"BleedBlue44"

Send a message via AIM to coolhandluke2410 Send a message via Yahoo to coolhandluke2410
he played tonight and i thought he did alright.. had a couple of chances.

Old
11-01-2003, 06:03 PM
degroat*

There were two noticeably good things tonight about Pohl...
1. He played well defensively... commitment in that area is no concern.
2. His strength.. unlike Sejna, his body is ready for the NHL.

Old
11-01-2003, 06:15 PM
slimer

I didn't think Pohl had as good of a game as you guys are indicating. Pohls line was pinned in there end on most shifts. I'm not seeing what you guys are seeing in Pohl. Yes he works hard, but I just don't see the skating, stickhandling, or vision of an NHL player in Pohl. I think he definately needs some more time in the AHL.

Old
11-01-2003, 08:29 PM
degroat*

There are 5 players on the ice for each team at one time. Pohl was no where near the reason they were down there. His skating is fine. His stickhandling is more than fine.

Old
11-01-2003, 08:57 PM
c-carp

Not an excuse, but we just need to get healthy, thay are pretty banged up right now.

Old
11-01-2003, 10:28 PM
Nick Blue

Disagreed, Degroat. I dont think Pohl is ready.

Old
11-02-2003, 03:57 AM
execwrite

Here's your answer on Pohl - he ain't ready.
======================

St. Louis Blues - Recalled defenseman Bryce Salvador and center Steve Martins from Worcester of the American Hockey League; assigned defenseman Mike Stuart and center Johnny Pohl to Worcester.

=======================

Pohl only played 58 games in Worcester last year. He needs another AHL season, but he's a solid prospect.

Old
11-02-2003, 04:04 AM

Martins has played very well here in the games I saw. Needs to shoot a little more though IMO...

Old
11-02-2003, 06:17 AM
degroat*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Blue
Disagreed, Degroat. I dont think Pohl is ready.
And why don't you think so? The main determinant of whether a player is NHL ready, especially in this system, is whether or not he is able to play defensively. If he is, then he can play in the NHL and move up as his offensive skills develop. There was nothing you saw last night that would make you believe that he isn't defensively ready. He was doing his job as a center all night... very deep in the defensive zone, in the corners battling for the puck.

I don't know if any of you that are saying he isn't ready were at the game, but I made it a point to pay particular attention to him when he was on the ice. He certainly looks more NHL ready than Sejna did.

Old
11-02-2003, 07:28 AM
slimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by degroat
And why don't you think so? The main determinant of whether a player is NHL ready, especially in this system, is whether or not he is able to play defensively. If he is, then he can play in the NHL and move up as his offensive skills develop. There was nothing you saw last night that would make you believe that he isn't defensively ready. He was doing his job as a center all night... very deep in the defensive zone, in the corners battling for the puck.

I don't know if any of you that are saying he isn't ready were at the game, but I made it a point to pay particular attention to him when he was on the ice. He certainly looks more NHL ready than Sejna did.
Its not just where he was able to get on the ice in his own zone. He has to get there at the right time. I'm not saying he had a bad game defensively. However, he wasn't a defensive standout. He did turn the puck over in the neutral zone several times, and he didn't create much offensively. So, he was ok defensively and not much of a factor offensively. To me that equals someone who isn't ready for the NHL. I'm not saying he won't be ready sometime this year, but he sure didn't impress me much yesterday.

Old
11-02-2003, 08:11 AM
MN_Gopher

Pohl is like Ron Francis. Not the fastest, strongest, doesn't have the best shot or accuracy. But he is the smartest, the guy will put up points. He gets the most out of his talent. After a few games people will wonder if he is lucky or talented. And so far at every level he has proven he is talented.

Old
11-02-2003, 06:26 PM
c-carp

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN_Gopher
Pohl is like Ron Francis. Not the fastest, strongest, doesn't have the best shot or accuracy. But he is the smartest, the guy will put up points. He gets the most out of his talent. After a few games people will wonder if he is lucky or talented. And so far at every level he has proven he is talented.
I hope Pohl becomes a solid NHL talent, but comparing him to Ron Francis is like comparing Christian Backman To Lidstrom because they are somewhat similar in style. its just not fair to Pohl or Backman. I do think Pohl will be a player in time but like most I think he needs time in Worcester.

Old
11-03-2003, 06:17 AM
MN_Gopher

He is not going to be top 5 scoring all time like Francis, But early in Francises career he was just as underated. Just a comparison not saying he is Francis.

Old
11-03-2003, 06:19 AM
Irish Blues

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotTheRat
Oh and if I'd had a dime for every player that I'd seen score at "every level" but then flop when they came to the NHL I'd be able to buy a solid gold statue of Michel Mongeau.
I'd pay a dime to see that.

11-03-2003, 07:21 AM
Frenzy1

Pohl has played in 1, yes thats right, 1 NHL regular season game... It is far too early to pass judgment. He also played w/ Rycroft on Danton as linemates, this isn't a line that will score 2 goals a game...

Closed Thread