HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Entertainment
Entertainment Discuss movies, tv shows, music, arts, literature, fashion, and upcoming events, concerts, etc.

How I Met Your Mother Part II

Old
12-06-2011, 03:22 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

vCash: 500
How I Met Your Mother Part II

last thread reached limit. After a slow start to this season its really taken off in the last month or so.

Fish on The Sand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 03:58 PM
DreamBeaut

Not really, a lot of time biding IMO

DreamBeaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 05:24 PM
Stanley Foobrick
Clockwork Blue

Talking to her imaginary kids??? Seriously??? This show just keeps getting dumb and dumber

Stanley Foobrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 05:28 PM
ProPAIN
I am the Danger!

Two more seasons, two more seasons...two....

ProPAIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 05:41 PM
JackFr

Hater's gonna hate, but I love the dramatic turn this series has taken. The past two seasons basically Flanderized every character (look it up) and it's nice to have evidence that I still care about them.

Anyone whining that we need the mother... honestly, if you watch the show to find out who the mother is you're an idiot. The mother is just a framing device, the heart of the show is the characters.

JackFr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 06:27 PM
ProPAIN
I am the Danger!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackFr View Post
Hater's gonna hate, but I love the dramatic turn this series has taken. The past two seasons basically Flanderized every character (look it up) and it's nice to have evidence that I still care about them.

Anyone whining that we need the mother... honestly, if you watch the show to find out who the mother is you're an idiot. The mother is just a framing device, the heart of the show is the characters.
The same characters that are stuck in this same rut for the past couple of seasons. I liked the dynamic they had the first few seasons, but now it's just getting...old. With the introduction of the mother, you start a whole new dynamic which will be much more interesting and capture the audiences attention.

I'm not a hater and I'm not whining. I've followed this show religiously since the beginning. But something new needs to happen. A gamechanger. People could skip most of the past couple of seasons and still not have missed much. Yes, individually the stories are interesting, but the show is based on the building towards meeting the mother. And that, is taking a ****ing long time.

You may like it, I think they are just wasting time.

Old
12-06-2011, 06:38 PM
DreamBeaut

Quote:

I buy into the halfsister theory anyway, so yeah.

Old
12-06-2011, 07:16 PM
Rhett4
KALETA REBORN

Quote:

That's exactly what happened. They've all become cartoonish and over-exaggerated. It's the same thing that happened to Friends went it went on for too long. Joey got dumber, Ross got zanier, Monica got more obsessive compulsive.

In general, they stretch too much for laughs now. I think Robin punching Barney out three times last night is an example. In season 1, they would have made that bathroom scene sweet and realistic yet funny instead of taking it way over the top. (See "pause" and "unpause" from the end of season 1 as a perfect example of what the show used to do soooo well.)

It's had its moments this year, but I don't know what to expect from episode to episode. Some like the Victoria ones earlier in the season were reasonably well handled. And some were beyond ridiculous and over-the-top (ie Nora with a missing tooth, a rat in her hair, and a suicidal jumper).

Rhett4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 07:28 PM
Kloparren
Hth

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProPAIN View Post
Two more seasons, two more seasons...two....
And a movie!

Quote:
I'm not a hater and I'm not whining. I've followed this show religiously since the beginning. But something new needs to happen. A gamechanger. People could skip most of the past couple of seasons and still not have missed much. Yes, individually the stories are interesting, but the show is based on the building towards meeting the mother. And that, is taking a ****ing long time.

I think this is a sitcom which a lot of drama lovers watch hence the complaints. To enjoy a sitcom, forget about the overall plot and whatnot, I mean, people (not as much now) still enjoy The Simpsons or Family Guy and the characters on those shows are the same age. I watch this show hoping to laugh, don't really care for plot development or whatever. HIMYM though attracts a lot of people who wouldn't normally watch this type of sitcom b/c it has this whole build up going but of course they're gonna fill it up with irrelevant crap in between if it lasts this many seasons...I mean, every sitcom would do that. It's just that in the last couple seasons, the focus of the show has been on moving the plot forward so people get impatient when it does filler stuff.

Also, I agree that the Robin talking to her imaginary kids was kinda BS. They could've done the story without that part but the show writers love to try and be dramatic and create some suspense which is why a lot of the newer episodes are hit and miss. In the older ones, not as much was happening but MOST of the time they didn't resort to these types of cheap tricks. Also, everyone has an idea of how they want the plot to move so when it does some type of deviation like this then they get pissed. It was a relatively funny episode overall for me, could've done without the whole cheap angle of the fake kids though.

Kloparren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 07:36 PM
jumptheshark
Give the dog a bone

SPOILER ALERT SPOILER ALERT

DON'T WANT TO KNOW
DON'T CLICK

http://www.tvline.com/2011/12/ask-au...revenge-bones/

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2011, 07:39 AM
neofury*

I don't get how people liked that ep. The ending was the biggest cop out I've ever seen. They had a good angle doing it from Robins point of view but they ruined it when they showed the kids disappearing. I think Robin not being able to have kids is a dumb angle, they should have just made her pregnant and end up marrying Barney.

I know she probably still will but the whole kids disappearing thing was very very lame.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2011, 07:43 AM
neofury*

Quote:
The same characters that are stuck in this same rut for the past couple of seasons. I liked the dynamic they had the first few seasons, but now it's just getting...old. With the introduction of the mother, you start a whole new dynamic which will be much more interesting and capture the audiences attention.

Yeah I don't get how being able to recognize the show is of poor quality lately is hating. It's called having eyes and ears. I still love the show and follow it religiously as well but anyone saying the show hasn't seriously gone down hill is kidding themselves.

I can deal with the cartoonish levels of retardedness because it's just a TV show but when it comes to butchering the storyline or filler I'm the type to not look kindly upon those types of things.

I'd say at least 50% of the episodes these days are big time filler. Like we aren't even talking cool eps that don't progress the storyline, we're talking lame eps that don't progress the storyline.

If others still find it to be of the same quality I'm glad they still enjoy it as much as they always have but for me a part of the magic that made the show what it is has been lost along the way. It's like the writers are just getting lazy and they're trying to turn it into a game of how much crap can we feed our audience before they stop watching. They're trying to delay the mother thing for as long as possible which I fully understand... but if you're going to do filler do it the right way. Slapsgiving and other filler episodes of the past have been golden. I'm not expecting an 11/10 each time.. but some of the storylines/writing in recent memory has just been bad. I can see how people look past it, I just don't get how some folks think the show is actually getting better. It really hasn't been.

Old
12-07-2011, 01:09 PM
Justified
Amaro out

vCash: 673
What do we expect to happen? the show is how I met your mother and arent they going to end it in 2014. they have to kill time.

Justified is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2011, 01:56 PM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazinga View Post
What do we expect to happen? the show is how I met your mother and arent they going to end it in 2014. they have to kill time.
When I say filler I don't specifically mean episodes not pertaining to the main storyline, obviously shows like this will always have episodes like that. What I mean is uninspired crap and poor writing in general. It's been this way on and off for like a season+ now.

Old
12-07-2011, 02:17 PM
Chris Cutter
BELIEVE IN DOUGLAS

I still think this season has been miles better than the last one.

Chris Cutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2011, 02:20 PM
DG

Eh, I didn't hate the kids disappearing thing THAT much.

I didn't really like it either, but it's something that isn't atypical for HIMYM. They often do stuff like that.

DG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2011, 02:50 PM
Clunker

Two more seasons? I'll probably watch just because at one time this was my favorite show, quite possibly could've been my favorite show ever, but it's changed so much that it almost angers me to watch it.

My main problem isn't even the "mother" situation. I couldn't care less about them taking too long getting to the reveal. I just hate that they've basically given up on being creative in anyway and have resorted to turning all the characters in to over-the-top cartoonish versions of themselves.. and now have to rely on juvenile humor and they keep forcing reoccurring jokes that don't work. The only episode the season I honestly enjoyed was the one with the hurricane. Last season, I could count maybe 4 or 5 I enjoyed and that's it.

Clunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2011, 02:53 PM
DBU
343 Guilty Spark

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Cutter View Post
I still think this season has been miles better than the last one.
I agree. Anything to do with Zoey last season was just brutal, which sadly made up most of last season's episodes.

DBU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2011, 03:06 PM
DG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clunker View Post
Two more seasons? I'll probably watch just because at one time this was my favorite show, quite possibly could've been my favorite show ever, but it's changed so much that it almost angers me to watch it.

My main problem isn't even the "mother" situation. I couldn't care less about them taking too long getting to the reveal. I just hate that they've basically given up on being creative in anyway and have resorted to turning all the characters in to over-the-top cartoonish versions of themselves.. and now have to rely on juvenile humor and they keep forcing reoccurring jokes that don't work. The only episode the season I honestly enjoyed was the one with the hurricane. Last season, I could count maybe 4 or 5 I enjoyed and that's it.
This is my major problem. Barney, in particular, is a mess of a character compared to in earlier seasons...

DG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2011, 09:12 PM
DreamBeaut

Barney is attempting to undergo a complete personality transformation, of course it is going to be messy.

Old
12-08-2011, 04:08 PM
Propane Nightmares
Spirit Shine

Quote:
Originally Posted by flaproosta08 View Post
Barney is attempting to undergo a complete personality transformation, of course it is going to be messy.
Barney was hilarious in the first few seasons, especially his high-fives, now he's just meh

Propane Nightmares is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2011, 04:13 PM
MeowLeafs
LM is awesome

Cobie Smulders = gorgeous

MeowLeafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2011, 04:19 PM
Propane Nightmares
Spirit Shine

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeowLeafs View Post
No babe threads goddamit!

Propane Nightmares is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2011, 06:14 PM
ProPAIN
I am the Danger!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeowLeafs View Post
She is, not top 5, but definitely very easy on eyes. Not a fan of the short hair though. Not a lot of actresses look good in short hair to be honest. Or maybe that's just my opinion. Ok enough of the girly talk.

Hockey! BBQ! Fighting! Grrrrrr....

Old
12-10-2011, 02:33 AM
ephmrl
#tanknation

Send a message via AIM to ephmrl Send a message via Skype™ to ephmrl
I'm a little behind all you guys. Just finished season 4. It's a little annoying knowing that I'm not going to find out who the mother is 7 seasons in but it's a good show so whatever.

ephmrl is offline   Reply With Quote