HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rule: is hitting the puck to a team mate with your wrist a 'hand pass'

Old
12-07-2011, 10:07 PM
Bernie Parent 1974

vCash: 500
Rule: is hitting the puck to a team mate with your wrist a 'hand pass'

according to the rules ?

can't find this in the rulebook.

i know in soccer, the shoulder to the hand all can result in a 'hand ball'

i know that if a puck is in the air and you bat it / take a swipe at it to a teammate with your hand [offensive zone] = hand pass.

what if you bat it with your wrist, is the question

Last edited by Bernie Parent 1974: 12-07-2011 at 10:21 PM.
Bernie Parent 1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2011, 10:15 PM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

I can't cite a rule but I believe that is more on the lines of a deflection or redirection... A hand pass would usually consist of either closing the hand and throwing/flipping, or cradling in an open palm and doing such... I can't see a puck going off a wrist as a hand pass that would cause a stoppage in the offensive or neutral zones. But as I said I can't back that up with a rule... and is there a rule on a non-infraction?

Sawdalite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2011, 10:20 PM
Bernie Parent 1974

i know that if a puck is in the air and you bat it to a teammate with your hand [offensive zone] = hand pass.

clarified post 1, as well

Old
12-07-2011, 10:37 PM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie Parent 1974 View Post
i know that if a puck is in the air and you bat it to a teammate with your hand [offensive zone] = hand pass.

clarified post 1, as well
Yeah; good point... I suppose that is so, and not only using the palm of the hand as I suggested. I'd still think that it is not a hand pass but considered a deflection or redirection... But in the light of how you have now just stated it, I suppose backing it up by citing an actual rule would be in order... Sorry.

EDIT: Upon further though, I think it may be how it is done and how the official views it... An incidental deflection/redirection is one thing, while doing so to get the puck to a teammate for a shot may be quite a different matter... Great question, and not as easy as I originally thought.

Last edited by Sawdalite: 12-07-2011 at 10:43 PM.
Old
12-07-2011, 10:37 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1860
From a medical web site, the wrist is part of the hand, same as fingers and thumb(s).

By a strict intrepretation, as you describe, the play would be treated equally to a hand pass.

http://www.bidmc.org/CentersandDepar...oftheHand.aspx

Quote:
The human hand has 27 bones: the carpals or wrist accounts for 8; the metacarpals or palm contains five; the remaining fourteen are digital bones; fingers and thumb.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/page.htm?id=26478

Quote:
Rule 67 - Handling Puck

67.1 Handling Puck - A player shall be permitted to stop or “bat” a puck in the air with his open hand, or push it along the ice with his hand, and the play shall not be stopped unless, in the opinion of the Referee, he has deliberately directed the puck to a teammate in any zone other than the defending zone, in which case the play shall be stopped and a face-off conducted (see Rule 79 – Hand Pass). Play will not be stopped for any hand pass by players in their own defending zone.

67.2 Minor Penalty – Player - A player shall be permitted to catch the puck out of the air but must immediately place it or knock it down to the ice. If he catches it and skates with it, either to avoid a check or to gain a territorial advantage over his opponent, a minor penalty shall be assessed for “closing his hand on the puck”.

A minor penalty shall be imposed on a player who, while play is in progress, picks up the puck off the ice with his hand.

Rule 79 - Hand Pass

79.1 Hand Pass - A player shall be permitted to stop or “bat” a puck in the air with his open hand, or push it along the ice with his hand, and the play shall not be stopped unless, in the opinion of the Referee, he has directed the puck to a teammate.

A player shall be permitted to catch the puck out of the air but must immediately place it or knock it down to the ice. If he catches it and skates with it, either to avoid a check or to gain a territorial advantage over his opponent, a minor penalty shall be assessed for “closing his hand on the puck” under Rule 67 – Handling Puck.

MiamiScreamingEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2011, 10:42 PM
flountown

As a ref, I would call it a hand pass if it looks intentional. In the moment, I doubt I would be able to discern whether the puck struck the hand or wrist.

flountown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2011, 10:43 PM
Bernie Parent 1974

yup, the NHL rules [i had looked] don't single out the wrist .. but if a puck is in the air and you bat it to a team mate with the back of your hand = hand pass.

if the wrist is considered part of the hand, then i'd think a 'wrist pass' is as illegal as a 'hand pass'
Quote:
The hand can be considered in four segments:
Fingers: Digits that extend from the palm of the hand, the fingers make it possible for humans to grab the smallest of objects.
Palm: This is the bottom of the body of the hand,
Back (opisthenar): The spot that everyone knows so well, the back of the hand shows the dorsal venous network, a web of veins.
Wrist: The connection point between the arm and the hand, the wrist facilitates hand motion.
http://www.healthline.com/human-body-maps/hand#1/7

Last edited by Bernie Parent 1974: 12-07-2011 at 10:48 PM.
Old
12-07-2011, 10:45 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

vCash: 156
Can you elbow pass to a teammate?

12-07-2011, 10:48 PM
flountown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Can you elbow pass to a teammate?
Yeah I think so. Another note, if you hit something with your wrist, while wearing a hockey glove, it's most likely bouncing off of the glove, so yeah, absolutely looks like a hand pass.

flountown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2011, 10:49 PM
Bernie Parent 1974

Quote:
Originally Posted by flountown View Post
Another note, if you hit something with your wrist, while wearing a hockey glove, it's most likely bouncing off of the glove, so yeah, absolutely looks like a hand pass.
excellent point .... i'd bet anything off the glove = 'hand pass' in the NHL

Old
12-07-2011, 10:59 PM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

Funny, I was thinking along the lines of the back of the wrist... really didn't think of the front of the wrist, which I'd say would not be distinguished from the hand itself... especially with a hockey glove on.