HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > The Lounge
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Lounge "...Where the parking lot of the Igloo meets the concourse of the Nassau County Coliseum and the bathroom line of the Skyreach..." - Wickedbsfan

Exams thread

Closed Thread

Old
12-07-2011, 08:11 PM
Silence Of The Plams
All these feels

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Sauer View Post
I feel bad for you all.

About this time next year I'll be taking calc,physics,chem, and bio probably.
I'll be the next gretzky

Old
12-07-2011, 08:16 PM
Montag DP
Sabres fan in...

Unsteady Aerodynamics, Structural Dynamics, and (take-home) Rotorcraft Aerodynamics. Yeah, I'll be pretty busy until the 16th.

Old
12-07-2011, 08:22 PM
Epictetus
Global Moderator
Create yourself.

vCash: 4200
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddahsmoka1 View Post
That is the one. It is pretty vague in my mind right now, it was nearly 3 years ago.

But focus in on his disconnect between experiences and the ideas he "believes are true because he knows them to be certain(or clear and distinct or something)." Kind of like how he says God is real because he positively knows the concept of God and perfection and doesn't remember not knowing them, or something ridiculous of this nature. He then goes off on a tangent saying that because God is perfect that he would not "fool him."

From what I remember, he tries to erase all preconceptions in his mind completely, and start from literal scratch to formulate his argument. But then I think after his third step or something (after "I think, therefore I am") he starts using preconceptions again, lol. He doesn't trust his senses, yet trusts the ideas he has in his head(despite those ideas being derived from experiences he gets from his senses).

Just reading this post over there is so many holes its ridiculous (although to be fair, I have kind of mashed his arguments).
Ah, thanks for this.

First Meditation -- Cartesian Method; destruction of all previous held truths.

Second Meditation -- The famous "I think, therefore I am'' (Although he never says it in the Meditation)

Third Meditation -- Existence for God.

So you are objecting to the Third Meditation only?

I found his argument to drop in that Third Meditation with his ''clear and distinct'' rule. Similar to what you mentioned. He runs into trouble proving his existence outside of himself because he relies on this innate concept of ''perfection'' which is God, but that's exactly what he's trying to prove exists! So if he demolished all of his senses, the connection to know of such a perfection outside of himself is super thin.

It's like: "I know God exists with certainty, and I am capable of certainty because there is a God"

Old
12-07-2011, 09:01 PM
serge2k

Linear Algebra tomorrow, Theory of metric Spaces (first analysis class) on Saturday.

Old
12-07-2011, 09:14 PM
guest1467

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epictetus View Post
Ah, thanks for this.

First Meditation -- Cartesian Method; destruction of all previous held truths.

Second Meditation -- The famous "I think, therefore I am'' (Although he never says it in the Meditation)

Third Meditation -- Existence for God.

So you are objecting to the Third Meditation only?

I found his argument to drop in that Third Meditation with his ''clear and distinct'' rule. Similar to what you mentioned. He runs into trouble proving his existence outside of himself because he relies on this innate concept of ''perfection'' which is God, but that's exactly what he's trying to prove exists! So if he demolished all of his senses, the connection to know of such a perfection outside of himself is super thin.

It's like: "I know God exists with certainty, and I am capable of certainty because there is a God"
This sounds about right. I like his process, breaking things down, it is kind of like a quasi scientific method to philosophy the way he tests his arguments systematically (and I think this is where the value in his work comes through and why it is so popular). But then when he starts reintroducing his preconceptions and senses, the whole thing just crumbles and he gets confused.

His argument for why God exists is incredibly flawed IMO, and then to make it worse he builds a **** tonne of his arguments on that premise. And that is the crux of his problem, his method is pretty cool, but once you put in a faulty premise he has to completely build off of that making the whole thing really flimsy.

Old
12-07-2011, 09:18 PM
Reverend Mayhem
CRJ + RNH = Sex

vCash: 940
Send a message via Skype™ to Reverend Mayhem
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddahsmoka1 View Post
Philosophy is easy, just bull ****.

If you know how to develop a rational argument, you will do fine.
This is pretty much my Philosophy exam tomorrow. Should be studying, though.

Old
12-07-2011, 09:20 PM
Unaffiliated

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by KpopandHockey View Post
I'm actually getting bored with all classes at my uni. none of the classes I take I learn things (most I have already privately studied so I don't need to go to lectures.)

I really dislike the class part of college just because of how inept it seems so many profs/students are. I even take off major **** just to be challenged and I find out I already know about it....
Which faculty/program are you in?

Old
12-07-2011, 09:41 PM
Zaide
I'm a renegade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Sauer View Post
I feel bad for you all.

About this time next year I'll be taking calc,physics,chem, and bio probably.
At this time next year, I'll probably have physics, chemistry, algebra and biology. Can't wait to have no philosophy for that term and have it replaced with an additional science class. I might ask to take astrophysics too. Yeah I know I'm crazy.

Old
12-07-2011, 10:11 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Yeah, a B+ isn't good for Law school though, which is the end goal.
A B+ is fine for law school. Law schools put far, far more weight onto your LSAT.

Old
12-07-2011, 10:11 PM
Swagelin
aka Bienvenue a ny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaide View Post
At this time next year, I'll probably have physics, chemistry, algebra and biology. Can't wait to have no philosophy for that term and have it replaced with an additional science class. I might ask to take astrophysics too. Yeah I know I'm crazy.
Whats your major?

Old
12-07-2011, 10:17 PM
Epictetus
Global Moderator
Create yourself.

vCash: 4200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
A B+ is fine for law school. Law schools put far, far more weight onto your LSAT.
Hmm. Here in Ontario, most of the law schools weigh it about even, although some do put more precedence on the actual LSAT.

I just don't want to be at the minimum level for my GPA when they look at the requirements. It'll mean even more pressure to do well on the LSAT.

Old
12-07-2011, 10:21 PM
Dwight
The French Tickler

8th, 10th, 15th, 19th.

3 of the 4 aren't too difficult, it's the 4th one (Corporate Finance) that'll likely kill me.

Old
12-07-2011, 11:44 PM
osgoodshlatters

i have a bowling final tomorrow. been studying for hours.........

Old
12-07-2011, 11:54 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Hmm. Here in Ontario, most of the law schools weigh it about even, although some do put more precedence on the actual LSAT.

I just don't want to be at the minimum level for my GPA when they look at the requirements. It'll mean even more pressure to do well on the LSAT.
So go out of country and come to America!

For the record, I would love to practice in Canada. Curious to know how difficult it is to get into a practice up there from America. No one really talks about it.

Old
12-08-2011, 12:10 AM
The Head Crusher

vCash: 18821
Send a message via MSN to The Head Crusher
Finished my last class today in my degree, 4 exam over the next 13 day and I am graduated!

Outdoor education
Gymnastics
Field Hockey
Ethics and Law in Teaching

Last edited by The Head Crusher: 12-08-2011 at 12:36 AM.
Old
12-08-2011, 01:08 AM
DBU
Gotta Go Fast

First semester of college, 4 exams in a 6 day span and then off for a month

Friday - Java theory
Monday - Intro to Networking theory
Tuesday - Java lab
Wednesday - Intro to Comp Hardware theory

I will probably bomb the networking final. I have pretty much been scraping by in it all semester. I should be good on everything else though.

Old
12-08-2011, 01:48 AM
kaiser matias

Five exams next week, all history courses. Two are lower level courses (early modern Europe, sports in Canada until 1945), the rest upper-level (sports in America post-1960, hockey in Canada until 1952, popular culture in early modern Europe). Also have an essay for the hockey in Canada course due before the exam, haven't really started it yet. Not worried though, I'm averaging about 85% in these courses after having a two year break from university for, ironically, not doing good enough.

Old
12-08-2011, 02:15 AM
MJB Devils23*
No lockout!

I actually hate college level multiple choice. So annoying. Each choice is like a paragraph long, and after you finish reading the choices, you forget the question.

I sucked at college exams.

Old
12-08-2011, 05:24 AM
Francesa
(╯°□°)╯︵ SƖ ןɥu ɐǝ

Big exam today

#OccupyLibraryfor5hours

Old
12-08-2011, 07:07 AM
Blue Blooded

vCash: 504
I have a home exam (basically three essay questions of 600-800 words) in "Economics and Leadership In Technologically intense business" (ELIT) due on the 15th.

Industrial Dynamics exam on the 19th.

Corporate Finance exam on the 20th.

The finance is not so bad, but I'm going insane from all the conjecture and bull**** in the other two courses. I have grown to understand why economics is for the ambitious and dedicated, not the gifted. The conjecture works if you just accept it and use it, but I just can't do that! And can't question it with your own opinion, you have to have proper sources, which doesn't really encourage creativity. I'm not saying my opinion is fact, but neither are the theories we apparently are supposed to accept as facts.

I'm actually longing for my Calculus in Several Variable exam in January, some good old hard math!

Old
12-08-2011, 07:24 AM
Bubba Thudd
#AvsNewAge

Quote:
Originally Posted by osgoodshlatters View Post
i have a bowling final tomorrow. been studying for hours.........
I have a drug test today. Been studying for hours...

Just kidding, kids. Drugs are bad, m'kay?

Old
12-08-2011, 07:53 AM
Tyrannis

My exams aren't until January. Need -45% or less in the final exam to fail Maths. (yeah, negative 45)

Not bad.

tyr

Old
12-08-2011, 07:54 AM
Bubba Thudd
#AvsNewAge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrannis View Post
My exams aren't until January. Need -45% or less in the final exam to fail Maths. (yeah, negative 45)

Not bad.

tyr
If you apply yourself, you can do it. Never say never.

Just turn in your answer sheet from a previous test. The answers were your intellectual property, after all.

Old
12-08-2011, 08:13 AM
Tyrannis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba Thudd View Post
If you apply yourself, you can do it. Never say never.

Just turn in your answer sheet from a previous test. The answers were your intellectual property, after all.

Just got my results from Student Development. 81. 50% of the marks were given for attendance. Smh.

tyr

Old
12-08-2011, 09:04 AM
JabbaJabba

vCash: 552
Damn, I wish I had philosophy exams. One of my favourite subjects... I have tests about finance and math. Probably going to fail the latter one. I hate math.

Closed Thread