HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

So the PK Subban honeymoon seems to be over

Old
12-07-2011, 08:50 PM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

vCash: 500
I think the team was being booed in general. Lets not start something that doesnt exist

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2011, 08:50 PM
Dojji*
Fight the Hate

We'll be happy to take him off your hands any time you want to get rid of him. Antics and all, he's not doing anything Marchand doesn't do.

Dojji* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2011, 08:56 PM
Player 61
#Winning

Send a message via AIM to Player 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dojji View Post
We'll be happy to take him off your hands any time you want to get rid of him. Antics and all, he's not doing anything Marchand doesn't do.
3 wrongs in that sentence.

1.Not going anywhere
2. Antics Blah! The guy can shoot like Chelios!
3. Like Marchand, Give me a break! Not even in the same league as that drek!

Player 61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2011, 08:56 PM
hockeyfan2k11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsolument90 View Post
Well then why would you make a thread titled like that and provoke unnecessary ****? Definite trolling. Sure he had some giveaways like all of his teammates, but did you see how he breaks up those 2 on 1s?! Never thought I'd see good old PK playing defence that well any time soon.
I'm defending the guy. I'm questioning the booing and the unreasonable criticism. Where's the provocation?

hockeyfan2k11 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2011, 09:00 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfan2k11 View Post
Most recently, last night.
The only booing I recall is of the PP.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2011, 09:01 PM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
Ohhhh you mad

Quote:
I'm defending the guy. I'm questioning the booing and the unreasonable criticism. Where's the provocation?
The title is stupid and misinformed. Look up a couple of posts. Some bruin fan came here with a joke about taking him off our hands as if he's some problem now.

DekeLikeYouMeanIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2011, 09:06 PM
Maliki2

Quote:
Thats the problem with you. PK shouldn't be above criticism, he was absolutely brutal last game, as was the rest of the team. Why he should get a free pass and the rest not, doesn't make sense.

Maliki2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2011, 09:13 PM
hockeyfan2k11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maliki2 View Post
Thats the problem with you. PK shouldn't be above criticism, he was absolutely brutal last game, as was the rest of the team. Why he should get a free pass and the rest not, doesn't make sense.
When did I say PK should be above criticism? I don't like ANY player getting booed, period. I don't care how bad he's playing, you don't boo a player. The team? Whatever, go ahead. Too many bipolar, self-entitled fans.

Ya lets boo a 2nd year player who we've asked to be a #1dman. PK should not be playing 25 minutes a game. It's like booing Darche on the 1st line, or getting mad at Moen because he can't hang on the 2nd line. Criticism is fine, it just has to be reasonable.

hockeyfan2k11 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2011, 09:37 PM
The Russian General
#FireTherrien

The fans booed after some terrible mistakes by Subban in his own end. I wouldn't say they were on PK case, every mistake, no matter the player, was booed.

The Russian General is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2011, 09:38 PM
maci4life

Quote:
Did you read the rest of my post? I mentioned CRITICISM as well. And there's a whole lot of criticism going around about PK. Read the ENTIRE OP before you make silly comments like this.

Furthermore, it annoys me that I'm being labeled a troll or a "drama enciter" for having a different opinion from some in this thread. The guy touched the puck and got booed. When he no longer had possession of the puck, the booing stopped. I think I can differentiate between booing the team and booing players. They even mentioned it on L'Antichambre.
Don't feel bad. I got the same treatment when it was suggested that their precious Subban should be traded while there's still some value left of him. I consider him a talented and naturally skilled athlete with a lack of hockey smarts. As we have seen this year, we have seen flashes of brilliance followed by bone headed plays that often baffle even the hardcore fans. How did Columbus get that 2 on 1 in the third period, coming down on Gorges you ask? I wonder who his D partner was....

People, I'm not saying to stop hugging his nut sack, but while you're down there, just don't go pretending that his **** don't stink. Thats all.

maci4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2011, 09:41 PM
SeriousHabs

From the comfort of my couch, it seemed like the PP was being booed. It happens regularly. It wasn't aimed at PK. That said, I am glad that the crowd finally stopped giving standing ovations while throwing money on the ice every time PK touches the puck. It was embarrassing. I understand that he is a contrast to our otherwise bland and boring team, but still...

SeriousHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2011, 09:50 PM
Mathradio
Go Roy Munson!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGRB View Post
He's an emotional player playing for a zombie corpse organisation. He deserves better.

He'd be allowed to play his game, in any other city.
Or rather, Roy would allow him to play his game. Subban isn't exactly held back by the coach, more like he has turned against JM.

Mathradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2011, 09:58 PM
habtastic

From what I have observed, the things people are saying about PK, i.e.
- sophmore slump
- fans aren't crazy about him anymore
- not a top target for opponents
- isn't a top tier D

are completely false. I don't put much stock in stats like turnovers cuz they can be misleading for a defenceman who carries the puck (although TOI is something to consider), but I've actually found his game to be the perfect balance between offence and defense, which is what we wanted. The only difference this year is that his one timers aren't going in. He's not scoring. That's the only difference I see. Otherwise I still think he's one of the best D in the league and certainly the perfect complement to Gorges. Honeymoon isn't over. Once the ship gets righted (I don't know how, but I think things will change for the better), threads like this will not exist. The team is sucking, but it's not him. Forwards need to finish. Point finale. It's not even the inexperienced D. Diaz and Emelin have been fine. Cammy/Gio are wayyy below their production potential and Patches and Cole can only do so much. They create chances, but lately not a lot of goals. As many have said before, it's funny how we continually take AK for granted when he is a goal scoring machine if you give him the chance.

habtastic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2011, 10:36 PM
Crimson Skorpion
Global Moderator

vCash: 50
Awards:
You watched every game? Really? So have I.

Habs fans have booed the team for two reasons so far this season.

-Losing a game that they played crap in.
-Powerplay sucking the bag.

In regards to PK himself.

-Fans cheer him when he attempts rushing the puck up the ice. Every time.
-Fans cheer him when he hits someone in the corners. Every time.
-Fans cheer him when he scored his goal this season.
-Fans cheer him when he's on the starting line. Every time.

Old
12-07-2011, 10:59 PM
Turtleneck Plek
Real Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optimus Price View Post
Sorry to burst your bubble man, I was at the game and Subban was booed in the third. Some cheered for his fancy plays, some booed him for trying too much and failing, turning him into ridicule.

I think he deserved some of the boos, simply for the fact that he should stop trying to be too cute when the game is on the line. I like him and find him an exciting player, but ****, when the game is on the line like this one was, against a terrible opponent, ****ing pass the puck instead of trying to do everything by yourself, losing the puck on your own or giving a turnover in the process.

But the player deserving the boos is certainly Cammy. The guy just doesn't give a **** anymore. Haven't seen someone "chier din coins" like him since Brisebois.

This team should ****ing hide themselves. Pathetic. Btw, I don't see what's the big deal about booing a player, he's a professionnal. Athletes gets booed, it's part of the job.
To this, I answer this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stradale View Post
No he wasn't.

I was at the Bell center. We were booing the PP.. and the Habs in general, especially when they were stuck in the defensive zone and can't start any good attack. Maybe Subban had the puck when the booing start but it wasn't direct specifically at him.
So now, the only question is the following. Optimus Price, did you boo? If so, did you boo Subban or the PP? If not, how well do you think you can determine if the crowd was specifically booing Subban rather than booing our horrid PP, part of the boos coming while Subban was in possession of the puck?

Because it seems most people here believe the PP unit was being booed as a whole rather than Subban being booed because of his lack of production on said PP. To me this is a non-issue, but it seems to be such a big deal to the two people here who believe Subban was specifically targeted by the crowd.

Subban is a fan-favourite and while I myself sometimes get tired of his seven-feet-in-the-air windup, I really doubt the fans would consciously boo him specifically rather than the general, pathetic state of our PP.

However, you're right. They did boo him. The only thing is, they booed the other four skaters on the ice at that moment as well, and you can probably add the other PP unit to that too.

So to summarize. Could Subban play better? Yes. Do fans want him to play better? Yes. Are fans tired of our pathetic PP? Yes. Does Subban play a part in the success of said PP? Yes. Does Subban deserve boos for his lack of production on the PP? Probably so. More so than the other players on the ice? No. Rationally speaking, does it make sense that he was the sole victim of the boos? No. Did the fans intentionally boo him, and just him? Improbable at best.

Turtleneck Plek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2011, 11:10 PM
JOKER 192

Pk is a good D-MAN but not a great one like many here think , way overrated IMHO.

JOKER 192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2011, 11:18 PM
The Gal Pals
Breaking Hab

vCash: 1347
Can I boo this thread without it being misconstrued as to who the boos are being directed to?

The Gal Pals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2011, 11:20 PM
charliolemieux
No Lu-wiki Zone

To me, PK is a more talented Sean Avery who happens to play Defense, but is more dangerous offensively.

He draws penalties, gets the other team off their game, and generally pisses everyone off, while putting up some points.

I hate him, but I'll take him.

charliolemieux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2011, 11:43 PM
habtastic

This thread is absurd. It is the culmination of people's frustration's with the team. HA! Sean Avery wishes he had 5% of the talent PK does. Let's not get into the debate about whether PK is a dirty player. Pleeease. If you had a bullseye on your back like him, I'd love to see how you'd do. I thought we all agreed on at least that.

He is playing much better hockey than people think. He has to get the rush going all by himself cuz the fwds suck. I'll just say here that Gomez would help a lot no matter what you think he does with the puck past the O blue line. He has (Subban) incredible stickhandling, deking, speed, a hard shot, he plays more responsibly and logs massive minutes.

Has it really come to this? I would not be surprised if people start a "Price is overrated" thread the way we are eating ourselves alive to find a scapegoat.

Old
12-07-2011, 11:45 PM
habtastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by fawktop View Post
oh ok, then its true
LOL

Old
12-07-2011, 11:50 PM
guest1467

I remember a few games back him getting booed when he was cutting and turning back numerous times in our zone.

Also, to the people that are saying "JM is holding him back" what evidence, seriously, one thread of evidence, do you have to support this claim?

The simple fact is that he hasn't played that well, but he has been far from bad. Under the circumstances, I don't mind his play. But I have felt this year he has spent more energy trying to draw penalties than make great plays.

guest1467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2011, 12:00 AM
habtastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddahsmoka1 View Post
I remember a few games back him getting booed when he was cutting and turning back numerous times in our zone.

Also, to the people that are saying "JM is holding him back" what evidence, seriously, one thread of evidence, do you have to support this claim?

The simple fact is that he hasn't played that well, but he has been far from bad. Under the circumstances, I don't mind his play. But I have felt this year he has spent more energy trying to draw penalties than make great plays.
what does everyone expect him to do exactly? Skate up the middle of the ice, deke 5 guys and score?

That is what I think is now the std for a "Subban great play". Anything else like putting the puck in the right spot, rushing it, but knowing when to pull back, taking more shots than other D, manning the blueline with poise (so he's made 3 or 4 flubs, look around the league, he's not alone). Hitting guys, pinning them, playing top minutes...these are not great plays. The only great play is for him to subby-doo every player, toe drag then slap shot through the goalie. This whole mounting meme of him trying to draw penalties is IMO getting blown out of proportion. He gets beaten up all game and people whine cuz he actually does get hit in the face or cross checked or tripped. Ever think maybe he is gassed and tired of being pushed around? Wait until he plays 60% of his minutes and watch what he does.

JM is not holding him back, he's keeping him responsible, and for that I'm actually grateful. Defence first although hard to follow with such crap finishing from the fwds.

Old
12-08-2011, 12:13 AM
Optimus Price

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtleneck Plek View Post
To this, I answer this:

So now, the only question is the following. Optimus Price, did you boo? If so, did you boo Subban or the PP? If not, how well do you think you can determine if the crowd was specifically booing Subban rather than booing our horrid PP, part of the boos coming while Subban was in possession of the puck?

Because it seems most people here believe the PP unit was being booed as a whole rather than Subban being booed because of his lack of production on said PP. To me this is a non-issue, but it seems to be such a big deal to the two people here who believe Subban was specifically targeted by the crowd.

Subban is a fan-favourite and while I myself sometimes get tired of his seven-feet-in-the-air windup, I really doubt the fans would consciously boo him specifically rather than the general, pathetic state of our PP.

However, you're right. They did boo him. The only thing is, they booed the other four skaters on the ice at that moment as well, and you can probably add the other PP unit to that too.

So to summarize. Could Subban play better? Yes. Do fans want him to play better? Yes. Are fans tired of our pathetic PP? Yes. Does Subban play a part in the success of said PP? Yes. Does Subban deserve boos for his lack of production on the PP? Probably so. More so than the other players on the ice? No. Rationally speaking, does it make sense that he was the sole victim of the boos? No. Did the fans intentionally boo him, and just him? Improbable at best.
I did boo him, just like I booed every other players. But I can surely tell you that people in my section in the blues were indeed targeting him and were making fun of him very loudly, in which some others did join in. Besides, they didn't only booed him on the PP, he was also booed when he lost the puck on an opportunity or two, trying to do too much fancy stuff. All I'm saying is that he's deserving some boos, just like some of his teamates. But because he was piss poor yesterday, that made him an easy target by the crowd. I don't understand what's the big issue about him being booed anyway and the fact that you make me imply that it was just him is laughable at best, because I never made that assumption. But I guess you're right and I'm wrong, then. Morality of the thing is : Hopefully that light a fire under Subban's ass so he can play better, but in the end, it probably won't.

Optimus Price is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2011, 12:49 AM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

vCash: 1707
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs23 View Post
3 wrongs in that sentence.

1.Not going anywhere
2. Antics Blah! The guy can shoot like Chelios!
3. Like Marchand, Give me a break! Not even in the same league as that drek!
you're a sensitive one....

MasterDecoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2011, 03:07 AM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

I remember before he joined the team in the playoffs on his first year, he had come play for the Habs for a cup of coffee during the season. He was amazing. I remember a PP where Subban was flying, dominating like AO before the fallout. The kid has enormous talent but it's badly concentrated. For one thing, he put too much on his shoulders and the Habs do not help him. They're asking him to carry the load and at his age, he should only be on the second paring on D while right now he's in the role of first D.

Another thing is that we seem to have players who can't follow PK. I don't know if it's lack of speed or whatever but when he wants to really go nuts and at a great pace, nobody on this roster can keep up with him. So most of his plays end up stone cold dead. It's like Paul Coffey playing for the Atlanta Flames in the 80s, all his rushes would have gone nowhere.

Kimota is online now   Reply With Quote