HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Realignment

Old
12-07-2011, 02:50 AM
HawksFan74
Tread Lightly

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomersWorld View Post
The MLB has for 15+ years I believe. Although they are changing it in 2013. They've had 16 National League teams and 14 American League teams.

Not to mention a division with 4 teams, a division with 6 teams, and the rest with 5 teams.
Yes but they have wildcard teams.

HawksFan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2011, 06:09 AM
MagicSlap*

I really wanted the 4 division set up and we got it, so for that, I'm very happy. I knew going in that having 4 divisions would cause a numerical disbalance, you can't slice 30 teams 4 ways no matter how you try. That said, I don't think the system is all that bad, and I think it's better than a lot of the alternatives proposed here.

The reason you can't have wildcards is that it ruins the target of the 4 divisions- creating intense rivalries in the divisional playoff race. Furthermore, due to the dissolution of the east-west conference structure, you'd have to create an NHL wide wildcard system. You'd have the top two from every division and then the next eight best teams. You'd still suffer the same problem then anyway (it's statistically easier to be in the top two of seven as opposed to eight).

Another overlooked factor is that the best sixteen teams in the NHL don't make the playoffs right now anyway; last year both Calgary and the Stars had more points than the Rangers. So I'm not so worried about there being five deserving teams from one division or a certain division being weak in one year, it happens. The seven and eight team difference isn't a deal breaker to me because people only think about if every team were really good in that division. You have just as good a chance of having a bunch of weak teams in your division, so you'd rather play more games and be competing against them as it helps your team more. A prime example would be the seven team Atlantic division: Pens, Caps, Flyers, Rags, Devils, Isles and Canes appears to be possibly the toughest division and yet it has only seven teams. Things will balance out.

I'm also not worried about losing playoff rivalries, such as ours against the Canucks, that would've faded with time anyway (think about how fast Wings-Avs faded). The fact that we met them three years in a row was pure luck and likely wouldn't have continued long. In the place of that rivalry we have the potential for much greater ones. You're battling the same six or seven teams every year for a playoff spot and then playing those same teams to make the Cup finals. That is where true, long rivalries come from. Plus, we can still possibly play the Nucks in the Cup finals.

So, I think that while there is some bad, this change is overwhelmingly good.

MagicSlap* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2011, 08:37 AM
BobbyJet

Rivalries can be very intriguing, no doubt about it, but sometimes it becomes too much. The regular season will always have it but to get the same teams playing one another in the playoffs until the finals sometimes (and arguably) is not the best. The unfamiliarity between 2 teams can be intriguing in itself and a good thing for fans in the playoffs. Re-seeding is the highlight of this move, imo, and will mix things up quite nicely.

BobbyJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2011, 02:03 PM
ChicagoSoulja
Rookie User

The new setup sucks. 2 divisions of 8 teams 2 divisions of 7. Where is the sense in that? Teams with 7 teams have a clear advantage over the teams in the 8 team divisions. This also takes away from the playoff race. The playoff teams will most likely be determined a week or two in advance of the end of the regular season in most divisions. Sure playoff rivalries are great but how much can we take? We are essentially going to have the same playoff matchups every year. I don't want to watch Pitt v Philly or chi v det in the first round. That's what I want my conference finals to be and we are no longer going to get that. Not to mention the fact that I don't think American fans are going to be very captivated at the all Canadian playoff matchups that will occur more frequently. The only part about this I like is the regular season schedule team which sees every team play a home and home against each other. I don't see why they. I don't see why they couldn't have kept in the way it was and just changed the schedule. What will they do w ith phx? Will they expand two more teams? Most ppl already feel as tho there are too many teams in the league so I don't see how this benefits the NHL at all.

ChicagoSoulja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2011, 02:13 PM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawksFan74 View Post
Two conferences have a statistical advantage to make the playoffs over the other two. The NHL would be the only major sport with this flaw. Introducing a Wildcard system for the final four spots would eliminate this but then you have the problem regarding the conference play in the 1st two rounds.
I don't see why this should be a problem. Statistical advantage my ***. If you are good, you make the POs. It's easy as that. If you can't get more points with the same amount of games than others you don't deserve it.

and who cares if this is the only sport to have this system?

Bubba88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2011, 02:43 PM
Illinihockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba88 View Post
I don't see why this should be a problem. Statistical advantage my ***. If you are good, you make the POs. It's easy as that. If you can't get more points with the same amount of games than others you don't deserve it.

Not necessarily true. With the new alignment, Los Angeles would have been left out of last years playoffs with 98 points (Vancouver, San Jose, Anaheim, Phoenix in) and Dallas would have been in with 95 points.

Illinihockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2011, 03:18 PM
coldsteelonice84

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Illinihockey View Post
Not necessarily true. With the new alignment, Los Angeles would have been left out of last years playoffs with 98 points (Vancouver, San Jose, Anaheim, Phoenix in) and Dallas would have been in with 95 points.
Exactly, which is why spots 7 and 8 should be wild cards.

coldsteelonice84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2011, 03:42 PM
HawksFan74
Tread Lightly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba88 View Post

Because all teams should have an equal shot to make the playoffs. People point out teams not making it from years prior from the East & West conferences. At least both conferences had the same amount of teams.

My issue will be if the two conferences with 8 teams consistently have teams missing the playoffs that would have qualified in the 7 team conference. Then there is an issue.

As far as the Hawks I think they will continue to make the playoffs in the new set up. Hawks are the biggest market in the new conference and the team most likely to spend to the cap. I just can't wait to see multiple teams get screwed in the new set up.

HawksFan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2011, 04:32 PM
chihawkswi

You have to look at both sides. Yes 7-team conferences have a better chance percentage wise to make the playoffs than 8-team conferences. But look at it on the other side. 8-team conferences are more likely to have a weaker bottom to the division than 7-team conferences, so while a potentially stronger top-to-bottom 7-team conference is beating up on each other, teams in the 8-team conference could be getting fat on a weaker opponent, thus giving an appearance that a 5th place team in one conference is better than a 4th place team in another.

Bottomline: With a heavy in-conference schedule, the playoff teams will be decided in games between your rivals. If you're not able to crack the top 4 against teams you're playing more games against, then tough luck. You weren't good enough to get in anyway.

chihawkswi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2011, 04:33 PM
Blue Liner

It's interesting to see how the national writers and analysts have reacted to this. On "Around the Horn" and "PTI" the past couple of days it's been pretty overwhelmingly applauded by many and a lot have said the NBA should take notes of this and do the same thing.

I really don't tend to care about what people have to say about the NHL most of the time, but it's interesting to see so many "non-hockey" people, for lack of a better term, be so adamantly supportive of something the league does. Especially given how drastic and progressive the change is.

Blue Liner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2011, 05:25 PM
IU Hawks fan
They call me 'IU'

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by chihawkswi View Post
You have to look at both sides. Yes 7-team conferences have a better chance percentage wise to make the playoffs than 8-team conferences. But look at it on the other side. 8-team conferences are more likely to have a weaker bottom to the division than 7-team conferences, so while a potentially stronger top-to-bottom 7-team conference is beating up on each other, teams in the 8-team conference could be getting fat on a weaker opponent, thus giving an appearancehat a 5th place team in one conference is better than a 4th place team in another.

Exactly. We've seen this same thing in baseball. The AL West has often been the hardest to win in years 3 of 4 were very good. Meanwhile, the AL Central has had the Pirates and then normally at least one of the reds and brewers to beat up on. Now that both of those teams have become competitive it's the Astros who have moved to the bottom, but you all get the point.

Last edited by IU Hawks fan: 12-07-2011 at 10:58 PM.
IU Hawks fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2011, 10:18 PM
LarmerSavardSecord

Quote:
Originally Posted by chihawkswi View Post
You have to look at both sides. Yes 7-team conferences have a better chance percentage wise to make the playoffs than 8-team conferences. But look at it on the other side. 8-team conferences are more likely to have a weaker bottom to the division than 7-team conferences, so while a potentially stronger top-to-bottom 7-team conference is beating up on each other, teams in the 8-team conference could be getting fat on a weaker opponent, thus giving an appearance that a 5th place team in one conference is better than a 4th place team in another.

Bottomline: With a heavy in-conference schedule, the playoff teams will be decided in games between your rivals. If you're not able to crack the top 4 against teams you're playing more games against, then tough luck. You weren't good enough to get in anyway.
I don’t see how that is logically true. Every conference has 7 teams; the 8th team in the two conferences might be weak…or it might be average or it might be strong. You could just as easily have a situation where the bottom 7 of an 8-team conference is just as good as a 7-team conference. And in the NHL – more than other major sports – the lower seeds have a puncher’s chance. The new system increases the chance a quality team is excluded. It’s an unqualified disadvantage for teams in 8-team conferences.

I’m excited to see more East-West games, but I don’t see any reason why the East teams are gifted an obvious advantage (beyond money/ratings.) And I’m not crazy about this idea that each “conference” fights it out to make the final four. We’ve already lost many regular season rivalries within the East and West. Fine, that’s the price for seeing Crosby twice a year. But shouldn’t the playoffs be a time to start those up again instead of fighting the same regular season battles within the “conference” in the playoffs again?

An 8-7 setup in both the East and West where the top 3 teams earn a spot along with two wildcards based on points, with the current seeding process, seems a lot better.

LarmerSavardSecord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2011, 01:56 AM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

It's just too much crying and complaining as of now. IF you are good, you are in

Bubba88 is offline   Reply With Quote