HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Blue Jackets Hire Senior Advisor Hockey Operations

Old
12-07-2011, 04:25 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Duke View Post
He was not very good at locating quality d-men, bringing in bust after bust and giving minute to Ian Moran, Janne Laukkanen, Hans Jonsson... also trading Zubov for the other Hatcher. Of course, the worst trade he made was Naslund to VAN.
Given that my only significant criticism of Howson is his troubles with defensemen, that's not very reassuring.
(Yes, yes, don't mind me; I'm the local Howson fangirl. I'm sure you know the type. )

But, hey, anything that can get the rest of the team into better shape would be great.

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2011, 04:37 PM
leesmith
"We're NEVER Done!"

WOW! Love this move. I was rooting for him to get the GM job when MacLean got it.

Folks, when the recent play, realignment and this hire, we just might be witnessing a turning point for this franchise. (fingers crossed)

leesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2011, 05:01 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Send a message via MSN to Robert
Quote:
Originally Posted by leek View Post
Patrick's performance has been uneven. He built a great Pens team in the late 80's early 90's and made a bunch of boneheaded moves later, causing the Pens to be so bad they drafted 1st or 2nd for 4 consecutive years.

I hope the Jackets get the good Patrick. I think he has a tendency to take boom/bust type risks regularly.
It's hard to predict which Patrick we have hired but at the very least he will provide a new voice in the office. As an advisor to Howson he won't be making any decisions, it will be interesting to interpret his impact on the team.

Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2011, 05:51 PM
CapnCornelius

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Duke View Post
Penguins fan here.

First, Craig has in all account seemed like a great person. In regards to his uneven resume, the last stretch of tank jobs was in most part due to bankruptcy that led to trading away Jagr, Kovalev, and Straka for nothing as well as letting a then productive Robert Lang walk away.

He was not very good at locating quality d-men, bringing in bust after bust and giving minute to Ian Moran, Janne Laukkanen, Hans Jonsson... also trading Zubov for the other Hatcher. Of course, the worst trade he made was Naslund to VAN. On the other side of things he made some tremendous deals and tanked at the right time.

For the post that said it could be the end of the 'country club', it was in removing CP as GM that helped usher out the country club of the Penguins to a new generation.

He has an incredibly bright hockey mind, and I believe from observing all of these post-lockout seasons he should have a strong grasp on what does and does not work in the new NHL.

I wish him the very best of luck and hope he can elevate your team into a consistent playoff team and ultimately Stanley Cup contender. Be patient, because he's dealing with a clown GM.
I often wondered if the d-men situation was a matter of bad selection or simply a matter of allocation of funds. Baldwin was a horrible owner and by the time you had the likes of Ian Moran (a fine Ohio boy) playing regularly, I have to wonder if it was for budgetary reasons--i.e. a lot of cash tied up in the likes of Jagr, Lemieux and Francis so money had to be saved somewhere.

Honestly, I'd be fine with Patrick replacing Priest, but I don't know that I want him to replace Howson. Craig's last few years in Pittsburgh I wondered if he just wasn't cut out for the "new NHL" from the GM perspective. Nonetheless, he is exactly what we need in our current situation for the role he's filling and he'd be absolutely perfect to find the right guy to replace Howson/Arniel when the time comes.

CapnCornelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2011, 05:56 PM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Patrick was just in one place way too long. He needed a change of scenery and getting back into the NHL in a new organization should be good for him.

He had a rough stretch in the mid to late 90's when it came to drafting and some of the trades. I still wouldn't completely blame the team falling apart in the early 2000's on him though. He built a good team on a shoestring budget, but it ultimately fell apart because of financial reasons.

He did make some horrible moves in free agency after the lockout which probably cost him his job.

We do still have some of his draft picks on the team like Brooks Orpik, Kris Letang, Tyler Kennedy, Marc-Andre Fleury, Joe Vitale and some no-brainer picks he made like Crosby and Malkin. He also drafted guys like Ryan Whitney, Matt Moulson and Alex Goligoski etc. But he still had some horrible drafts. I guess that's just the mixed bag you get with every GM's drafting though.

Captain Hook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2011, 06:07 PM
Renion

So, is his only real power likely to be finding people to replace Howson and/or Arniel at some point in time? (In which case, what happens if he approves of both of them, and he and Howson agree on pretty much everything?)

Renion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2011, 06:11 PM
ClevelandJacketFan
Awesome Mascots!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renion View Post
So, is his only real power likely to be finding people to replace Howson and/or Arniel at some point in time? (In which case, what happens if he approves of both of them, and he and Howson agree on pretty much everything?)
I've heard his role will be in free agency, trades, and prospects in the organization.

So, I'd imagine he'd likely find a replacement for Howson if/when that happens.

ClevelandJacketFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2011, 07:50 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Send a message via MSN to Robert
Oh, one more thing, with Patrick on board firing Howson is a piece of cake... (That means 'easy' Viqsi).

Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2011, 08:02 PM
Dr. Fire
What, me worry?

My son-in-law grew up in Wheeling until he moved here and married my daughter. Huge Pens fan, which of course most of Wheeling is.

He loved this hire. He felt that Patrick took more blame than he deserved for the collapse of the Pens. It had much more to do with money, and small market woes.

Now, we just need Priest to handle the business and corporate side of things, and let Patrick handle the hockey operations side of things.

You all know that this appears to mean that Howson has a real hockey guy that he must justify his moves to, and answer to?

Dr. Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2011, 08:14 PM
CBJBrassard16
Sergei BobTrollsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Fire View Post
My son-in-law grew up in Wheeling until he moved here and married my daughter. Huge Pens fan, which of course most of Wheeling is.

He loved this hire. He felt that Patrick took more blame than he deserved for the collapse of the Pens. It had much more to do with money, and small market woes.

Now, we just need Priest to handle the business and corporate side of things, and let Patrick handle the hockey operations side of things.

You all know that this appears to mean that Howson has a real hockey guy that he must justify his moves to, and answer to?
Hell yeah, man.

CBJBrassard16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2011, 08:22 PM
Jaxs
HFBoards Sponsor

This hire gets me excited to see that the top wants to get better rather than watch the erosion continue. It may do nothing for this season's W/L record, but it brings in some hockey competence to add to what is seemingly slim.

Jaxs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2011, 09:38 PM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

The first of hopefully, many, good hires ahead. Any hire for an advisor is long overdue. Lack of league experience within the organization has kept them in this prepetual state of still birth since the beginning. Let's hope this is the beginning of the end of the beginning. Checks and balances are a good thing, having another highly placed, knowledgable, paid opinion, never hurts.

Last edited by KeithBWhittington: 12-07-2011 at 09:48 PM.
KeithBWhittington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2011, 09:46 PM
irishjacket

Wrong

Quote:
Originally Posted by leek View Post
Patrick's performance has been uneven. He built a great Pens team in the late 80's early 90's and made a bunch of boneheaded moves later, causing the Pens to be so bad they drafted 1st or 2nd for 4 consecutive years.

I hope the Jackets get the good Patrick. I think he has a tendency to take boom/bust type risks regularly.
Pittsburgh fan here. Craig did an unbelievable job especially in the later years. Unfortunately he had to sell off his biggest assets just to make payroll(jagr). Crosby and Malkin were no brainers but he traded up for fleury and also drafted Kennedy, Orpik, Letang, Scuderi, talbot, Goligoski, and signed Gonchar. All of these guys won the 2009 Stanley Cup. Plus Whitney was traded for Kunitz.

irishjacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2011, 10:21 PM
CBJBrassard16
Sergei BobTrollsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishjacket View Post
Pittsburgh fan here. Craig did an unbelievable job especially in the later years. Unfortunately he had to sell off his biggest assets just to make payroll(jagr). Crosby and Malkin were no brainers but he traded up for fleury and also drafted Kennedy, Orpik, Letang, Scuderi, talbot, Goligoski, and signed Gonchar. All of these guys won the 2009 Stanley Cup. Plus Whitney was traded for Kunitz.
Wow, hopefully he is as solid here as he was with you guys. Thanks to all the Pittsburgh fans for the insight, it provides a little hope for our dark fanbase.

CBJBrassard16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2011, 10:36 PM
Dudley Poodlehead

vCash: 321
It would be wonderful if Patrick could impart some wisdom on GMSH and replicate the bag of pucks for Ron Francis and Ulf Samuelson deal he pulled in 91.

(My apologies to Zarley Zalapski. He will always be a legend in Western PA for being 1/4 of the "double trouble" club but otherwise had an unremarkable career)

Dudley Poodlehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2011, 11:06 PM
CBJCougar

Hmm....

So we scream about not getting someone to understand the kids and then hire Grandpa? We hire the same guy that was responsible for separating Jagr from the Pens?

No.

CBJCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2011, 05:22 AM
Double-Shift Lassé
Just post better

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJCougar View Post
Hmm....

So we scream about not getting someone to understand the kids and then hire Grandpa? We hire the same guy that was responsible for separating Jagr from the Pens?

No.
Now, I have no idea whether Patrick is ultimately going to prove to have been a successful hire, but I'm not sure I follow you here. He's not going to coach. Who was screaming about this?

Do you have any idea the tenor of the relationship between Jagr and the Pens at the time? You think you've seen bad attitudes and floaters on the Jackets? Not to mention the financial state of that organ-eye-zation?

Last edited by Double-Shift Lassé: 12-08-2011 at 05:46 AM.
Double-Shift Lassé is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2011, 05:40 AM
EDM

I have previously said I want the "senior hockey mind" to be the decider (replace Priest) rather than the adviser. Nevertheless this is a good move. Regardless of how the position is labeled or where it fits in the table of organization, the addition of someone with his resume to the decision making process of this franchise can only be an improvement.

EDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2011, 05:58 AM
JACKETfan
Real Blue Jacketfan

Quote:
Hmm....

No.
You forget Jagr used to be a primadona.

I don't know why we hired Patrick. We have plenty of hockey people in the office. Perhaps this is a precursor/preparation for more moves?

JACKETfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2011, 06:08 AM
Samkow
Global Moderator
Sidney Cosby

Send a message via Skype™ to Samkow
Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKETfan View Post
I don't know why we hired Patrick. We have plenty of hockey people in the office. Perhaps this is a precursor/preparation for more moves?
I hope it doesn't lead to Patrick as GM. He's a fine hockey guy, but I'm not sure I like him as a GM in the 21st century.

Chris Wells, Robert Dome, Craig Hillier, Milan Kraft, Stefan Berqvist, Konstantin Koltsov.

12-08-2011, 06:49 AM
CBJCougar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-Shift Lassé View Post
Now, I have no idea whether Patrick is ultimately going to prove to have been a successful hire, but I'm not sure I follow you here. He's not going to coach. Who was screaming about this?

Do you have any idea the tenor of the relationship between Jagr and the Pens at the time? You think you've seen bad attitudes and floaters on the Jackets? Not to mention the financial state of that organ-eye-zation?
Yes, I know he isn't going to coach. I used screaming instead of whining.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKETfan View Post
You forget Jagr used to be a primadona.

No, I didn't forget. Neither did he. All I see out of this is that he was used to come in and clean up Pens mess with spending. I see the move as either getting in a head hunter to clean up Howson's mess or another bean counter. Hope I'm wrong cause we all have our favorites.

And to be honest, I wouldn't be making such a face if Howson was gone.

Old
12-08-2011, 08:00 AM
Double-Shift Lassé
Just post better

Quote:
Yes, I know he isn't going to coach. I used screaming instead of whining.
Still not sure I follow what the ":whining" is about and how this has anythign to do with it.

Quote:
No, I didn't forget. Neither did he. All I see out of this is that he was used to come in and clean up Pens mess with spending. I see the move as either getting in a head hunter to clean up Howson's mess or another bean counter. Hope I'm wrong cause we all have our favorites.
You need to find out more about his tenure with the Pens, then.

Quote:
And to be honest, I wouldn't be making such a face if Howson was gone.
You don't approve of Patrick, but you would if it meant Howson had been fired?

Old
12-08-2011, 08:20 AM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

Would a move like this have been made without the fans and Dispatch, basically, calling for it the last two seasons?

I don't know, really.

I look at it this way, we have another set of eyes and ears... one that has more experience than most of our front office, someone who's eyes and ears and words are respected. Someone who's been a GM and a coach and a player and had to deal with massive player egos, someone who has the scars to prove it. Patrick is, without a doubt, one of the top guys for this position. (Everyone knows my unhealthy desire to see Rick Dudley here, so certainly he was on the list as well)

Don't think of it being simply Patrick waiting to swoop in, have Howson and Arniel Canned so he can take Howson's place, look at like a chance to have someone else, someone respected, watching and giving input on the situation, if changes need made, make them. But do them with a goal and a well-defined plan in mind.

KeithBWhittington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2011, 08:22 AM
Double-Shift Lassé
Just post better

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithBWhittington View Post
I look at it this way, we have another set of eyes and ears... one that has more experience than most of our front office, someone who's eyes and ears and words are respected. Someone who's been a GM and a coach and a player and had to deal with massive player egos, someone who has the scars to prove it. Patrick is, without a doubt, one of the top guys for this position. (Everyone knows my unhealthy desire to see Rick Dudley here, so certainly he was on the list as well)

Don't think of it being simply Patrick waiting to swoop in, have Howson and Arniel Canned so he can take Howson's place, look at like a chance to have someone else, someone respected, watching and giving input on the situation, if changes need made, make them. But do them with a goal and a well-defined plan in mind.
I agree pretty much with this assessment.

Old
12-08-2011, 08:35 AM
CBJCougar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-Shift Lassé View Post
Still not sure I follow what the ":whining" is about and how this has anythign to do with it.

This organization seems to do the most hap-hazardous things with regard to managing. We, as fans, are concerned that we don't have the staff that is able to reach out and guide these kids. How often was the cry that Hitch did not know how to manage kids? Yes, I know this guy isn't coaching. With the addition of Arniel it seemed that we were embracing the younger leadership to address that issue and also move more toward the new NHL. With this addition, it contradicts that. To me. And probably only to me. LOL

You need to find out more about his tenure with the Pens, then.

Probably

You don't approve of Patrick, but you would if it meant Howson had been fired?

Again, it's probably just me, but I see it as an obvious strong arm move to clean up, which we probably need to do, but I just fear I'm not gonna like it once it begins. I'm well aware of what he did in Pitt. Some would say he removed the country club atmosphere and put the Pens on a winning course. Corporations hire those type all the time when a change in direction is needed. I'm all for changing direction because I do find fault with the way this team has been led. BUT I think if you are serious about a change in leadership, then change the leadership. That's all I'm saying. Otherwise it's a joke.