HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Has this team quit on Ruff?

View Poll Results: Have the Sabres quit on Ruff?
Yes 19 33.93%
No 37 66.07%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Old
12-08-2011, 08:46 AM
Kruschiki

vCash: 500
Has this team quit on Ruff?

A few weeks ago, we played Washington and the very next day Boudreau was fired. Analysts claimed that the Caps, the last few games before his firing had "quit on their coach".

Have the Sabres quit on Ruff? If not, is this a danger and how soon could it happen?

Kruschiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2011, 09:02 AM
BackGroundMusic
rebuildingeverywhere

From what I've read, it certainly sounds like Vanek has. I would think that things like Grags obvious struggles and Ruff's continued instance that Grags gets icetime has to be wearing down some of the other guys, whether they realize it or not.

BackGroundMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2011, 09:07 AM
5 Minute Major

Maybe they have.

The one thing I think we can all agree upon is that the call ups haven't been the problem with this team. Those rookies want to be here and would follow the orders of pretty much anyone because they are so excited.

The vets? Totally different story. Most seem to be playing with a total lack of focus (interest?) and are the big reason as to why this team is in the position it finds itself in.

So, I guess my final answer is I don't know. They play well on the road but look awful at home. If they were playing awful on the road as well as at home, I would definitely jump on this bandwagon.

5 Minute Major is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2011, 09:09 AM
Sabre11

I believe Ruff is a good coach but the players he has (especially the "Core") doesn't fit in his coaching style and system.

Sabre11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2011, 09:11 AM
Corto
Faceless Man

I don't think so.

It's easy to think players have quit when you have rookies and grinders playing in roles that are realistically still over their heads, and players like Giroux and Datsuyk are skating circles around them, Timonen and Lidstrom are outsmaring them, and Jagr and Franzen outmuscling them.

These Sabres are a good team (not elite), with no elite players, but a bunch of good players, and they rely on their depth for a certain amount of success.

With these injuries, the depth is gone, and they really are just struggling through nearly every game.

Corto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2011, 09:11 AM
joshjull

I don't know but Pegula/Black haven't as per Black on WGR this morning.

joshjull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2011, 09:16 AM
Stop Winnin
TANK ON BOYS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corto View Post
I don't think so.

It's easy to think players have quit when you have rookies and grinders playing in roles that are realistically still over their heads, and players like Giroux and Datsuyk are skating circles around them, Timonen and Lidstrom are outsmaring them, and Jagr and Franzen outmuscling them.

These Sabres are a good team (not elite), with no elite players, but a bunch of good players, and they rely on their depth for a certain amount of success.

With these injuries, the depth is gone, and they really are just struggling through nearly every game.
What would you call a Pittsburgh Penguins squad - Crosby Malkin and Staal that had a winning record during the entire stretch without their stars. Our 'stars' are healthy and aren't doing jack ****.

Stop Winnin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2011, 09:16 AM
Jame
Dream '16

I don't think they've quit on him... i just don't think he's a very good coach. I think the net affect of his decisions in game and out, have an overall negative affect leading to losing

Jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2011, 09:21 AM
Corto
Faceless Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kishire View Post
What would you call a Pittsburgh Penguins squad - Crosby Malkin and Staal that had a winning record during the entire stretch without their stars. Our 'stars' are healthy and aren't doing jack ****.
An elite team.

Which the Sabres aren't.

The Pens are so much more than their centers today.
Letang, Michalek, Orpik, Martin.... Their D is elite.
Secondary scoring adequate, especially with Neal working out, and the best grinders in the game in the bottom-6.

Old
12-08-2011, 09:23 AM
joshjull

Quote:
The Pens made adjustments to their roster last summer (2010) that enabled them to play a strong defensive game if needed. They added two defensive dmen (Michalik/Martin) to their top 4 to go with the one they already had (Orpick). When their top guys went out they were able to adapt to their losses. Bylsma is also a great coach.

Its a lot easier to lean on a defensive approach when top offensive guys are out. As opposed to trying to keep play an uptempo attacking style missing key dmen relied on to facilitate it. We've also tried to play a more defensive game at times with the injuries but don't have the players to do it.

But not having the players to play a more defensive style when necessary is still on Ruff since he had a big influence on the makeup of this roster.

Most teams struggle or at least aren't at their best when top players are out. Lets not forget that the Pens with their two best players out finished in 8th and were knocked out of the playoffs in round one. Thats certainly a drop off from what would be expected with Crosby and Malkin in the linup. So lets not pretend they were the same team.

Last edited by joshjull: 12-08-2011 at 09:29 AM.
joshjull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2011, 09:23 AM
Clock

I don't blame anyone for thinking that after the flat performances that we've seen after garbage periods.

Clock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2011, 09:31 AM
Buffalo87
thehosers dot com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
I don't think they've quit on him... i just don't think he's a very good coach. I think the net affect of his decisions in game and out, have an overall negative affect leading to losing
You don't become the winningest coach with one team in NHL history by being a bad coach. He's only had 2 really great teams and the in 06 the only reason they didn't win the Cup is because they suffered a rash of injuries that nobody could have coached them out of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5 Minute Major View Post
Maybe they have.

The one thing I think we can all agree upon is that the call ups haven't been the problem with this team. Those rookies want to be here and would follow the orders of pretty much anyone because they are so excited.

The vets? Totally different story. Most seem to be playing with a total lack of focus (interest?) and are the big reason as to why this team is in the position it finds itself in.

So, I guess my final answer is I don't know. They play well on the road but look awful at home. If they were playing awful on the road as well as at home, I would definitely jump on this bandwagon.
I just think the message has gone stale rather than anybody necessarily quitting on him. The vets have been here long enough that they've been hearing the same message for so long, they just don't respond anymore. Doesn't mean they've quit on him, but it also doesn't mean that Ruff is the best man for the job right now either.

As I posted in the GBU, last night was the first time I've though that maybe Ruff is the problem here. I've always been in his corner but something is not right with this team.

Buffalo87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2011, 09:33 AM
Stop Winnin
TANK ON BOYS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corto View Post
An elite team.

Which the Sabres aren't.

The Pens are so much more than their centers today.
Letang, Michalek, Orpik, Martin.... Their D is elite.
Secondary scoring adequate, especially with Neal working out, and the best grinders in the game in the bottom-6.
You would call the Penguins an elite team without Sidney Crosby, Evgeni Malkin and Jordan Staal in the lineup? What makes them elite? They have bottom 6 grinders that actually step up when injuries happen? The defense is elite, Martin is not as good as you say he is, Orpik, Letang and Michalek are very good though. What separates our stars from contributing on a daily basis like the Penguins grinders did with their lack of star power up front.

Stop Winnin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2011, 09:36 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
He'd better put a new T1 in at F.N.C. to keep up with all the phone calls it's going to take to shake the team up and move out the dead wood.

12-08-2011, 09:37 AM
S319R11S16
Expect Suffering

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
Of course they haven't. Lindy's a lifer and the cup will never come to Buffalo.

S319R11S16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2011, 09:38 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalo87 View Post
You don't become the winningest coach with one team in NHL history by being a bad coach. He's only had 2 really great teams and the in 06 the only reason they didn't win the Cup is because they suffered a rash of injuries that nobody could have coached them out of.

I just think the message has gone stale rather than anybody necessarily quitting on him. The vets have been here long enough that they've been hearing the same message for so long, they just don't respond anymore. Doesn't mean they've quit on him, but it also doesn't mean that Ruff is the best man for the job right now either.

As I posted in the GBU, last night was the first time I've though that maybe Ruff is the problem here. I've always been in his corner but something is not right with this team.
You've encapsulated my thoughts. While they work on moving the dead wood, they need a fresh voice that might get them hustling to make simple, smart hockey plays.

Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2011, 09:42 AM
Smitzo4221

Make a trade if that doesn't work hire Carlyle. He's done what Ruff hasn't, won a cup.

Smitzo4221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2011, 09:49 AM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

I don't see the team jumping out to a 3-0 lead on the Flyers last night if they have quit on their coach.

The message may have gotten stale. But, the injury situation is ridiculous and I still have my doubts about major pieces of the Rochester Core. Vanek and Pominville are the only two parts of the Rochester Core that I'm real happy with this season.

And for better or worse, that is the Core of the team.

They can get a new voice in there and I don't know that it will change much.

Just like I don't expect Dale Hunter to change the fact that Semin is a dog and the Caps have serious flaws with the way their team is built.

But, it looks like the patient GM has bosses that are even more patient than he is......

WhoIsJimBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2011, 09:49 AM
Play4Miracles*
1 nation under Oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by iciclesonapapershelf View Post
From what I've read, it certainly sounds like Vanek has. I would think that things like Grags obvious struggles and Ruff's continued instance that Grags gets icetime has to be wearing down some of the other guys, whether they realize it or not.

Excellent point. The Grags situation HAS to be contract related. The want to trade him at the deadline, but at what cost? Missing the playoffs?

Grags isn't as bad as he has been exagerated to be, but he's not good.

There appears to be a rift between Vanek and Ruff. I thing Ruff is trying to impose his will and Vanek has a bad attitude right now.

This team is disfuctional.

Play4Miracles* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2011, 09:51 AM
Corto
Faceless Man

Quote:
You would call the Penguins an elite team without Sidney Crosby, Evgeni Malkin and Jordan Staal in the lineup? What makes them elite? They have bottom 6 grinders that actually step up when injuries happen? The defense is elite, Martin is not as good as you say he is, Orpik, Letang and Michalek are very good though. What separates our stars from contributing on a daily basis like the Penguins grinders did with their lack of star power up front.
They're elite in the way that with a full line-up, they're elite.
The drop from elite (without their top-3 players) is to good.

The drop for a good team without their top players, more than likely, is to bad.

The Pens simply adjusted last season and changed up to a more defensive style of play, and they have the players to do so.
The Sabres don't.

Old
12-08-2011, 09:52 AM
fing0rz

To answer the question, no.

It won't be a question if (when?) They quit on him. It will be painfully obvious

fing0rz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2011, 10:08 AM
static80

I don't beleive the team has "quit" on Ruff per say.
I do believe Ruff has quit on the team though.
Lindy can only do so much with the talent he is given by Regier, and in this case, they have repeatedly failed to address the center situation and move some of these "streaky", less productive players off of the roster.

I blame Regier more than Ruff, especially for a player like Stafford, who was known to be streaky, had a decent season last year and his value was at it's peak. Prime time to move him for something that we truly needed. Instead, what does Regier do, he keeps Stafford and doesn't address the center position that could possibly make him better.

Its been the same story for the Sabres since Briere and Drury left. Once those 2 were gone, any help from down the middle completely evaporated and Regier never addressed it. Therefore, our wingers suffer.

static80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2011, 10:14 AM
Buffalo87
thehosers dot com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Play4Miracles View Post
Excellent point. The Grags situation HAS to be contract related. The want to trade him at the deadline, but at what cost? Missing the playoffs?

Grags isn't as bad as he has been exagerated to be, but he's not good.

There appears to be a rift between Vanek and Ruff. I thing Ruff is trying to impose his will and Vanek has a bad attitude right now.

This team is disfuctional.
I disagree on this, I know it's been speculated for a very long time that there is some kind of rift there. I 100% believe that Vanek would not have become the player he is right now (and still improving) without Ruff. Ruff knows he can come down on Vanek hard (and he certainly has) and Vanek more often than not responds. I have not seen a single thing this year that implies to me that Vanek has a bad attitude or has quit on Ruff. If anything, I think Vanek's attitude this year is better than I've ever seen.

Buffalo87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2011, 10:15 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalo87 View Post
I disagree on this, I know it's been speculated for a very long time that there is some kind of rift there. I 100% believe that Vanek would not have become the player he is right now (and still improving) without Ruff. Ruff knows he can come down on Vanek hard (and he certainly has) and Vanek more often than not responds. I have not seen a single thing this year that implies to me that Vanek has a bad attitude or has quit on Ruff. If anything, I think Vanek's attitude this year is better than I've ever seen.

Agreed. Where is this indictment of Ruff by Vanek? PM's between-the-bench nattering last night?

Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2011, 10:17 AM
fightclubber25

if by team you mean everyone on the world except regier, pegula, the rookies, and idiot VS analysts.. yes.

fightclubber25 is offline   Reply With Quote