HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

A College Hero, Now a Rangers Rookie

Old
12-08-2011, 08:32 AM
silverfish
Mr. Glass

vCash: 500
A College Hero, Now a Rangers Rookie

Article in the WSJ about Hagelin today, definitely a good read

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...600028432.html

Quote:
From his first day at Michigan, Hagelin emerged as something of a legend for his performance in Berenson's infamously grueling conditioning drills. As part of their offseason workouts, Berenson's players run 15 races each day up and down the bleachers at Michigan Stadium, the university's gigantic football venue. In one race, the players might have to climb the stands two steps at a time; in another, they might have to hop on two legs from one step to the next. "We'd have kids puking and passing out," Berenson said. "Carl never lost a race in four years."

silverfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2011, 08:48 AM
NHRangerfan
enfoonts

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverfish View Post
Article in the WSJ about Hagelin today, definitely a good read

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...600028432.html
great read. thanks for posting.

NHRangerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2011, 08:53 AM
mullichicken25

that was a good read

he's been a nice surprise so far

mullichicken25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2011, 10:36 AM
nrf83

Nice read and I hope Carl Hagelin continues his success with the NYR. I like his style of play and that he completed 4 yrs at Michigan without one bad remark or article at HF that he turn pro;

Conversely Chris Kreider gets pilloried for doing almost the same thing, getting his education and playing college hockey. Almost weekly there are some posters who cannot let CK enjoy his stay at BC without some snide comment about his studies and he should of turned pro almost immediately after draft, and than lambasting Jerry York as a buffoon who knows nothing about game of hockey. The dichotomy is startling

nrf83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2011, 11:06 AM
silverfish
Mr. Glass

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrf83 View Post
Nice read and I hope Carl Hagelin continues his success with the NYR. I like his style of play and that he completed 4 yrs at Michigan without one bad remark or article at HF that he turn pro;

Conversely Chris Kreider gets pilloried for doing almost the same thing, getting his education and playing college hockey. Almost weekly there are some posters who cannot let CK enjoy his stay at BC without some snide comment about his studies and he should of turned pro almost immediately after draft, and than lambasting Jerry York as a buffoon who knows nothing about game of hockey. The dichotomy is startling
The perks of being the highlighted pick of your draft year, Hagelin didn't get that luxury as a 6th rounder. The fans are going to turn when a newly drafted prospect takes his own route rather than the one management wanted for him.

I never really got on Kreider for going to BC but I really respect the NCAA route for kids. I do understand why others are "upset" with him though.

silverfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2011, 11:08 AM
TreeSapLlama

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrf83 View Post

While I agree to a certain extent, there is a little more hype behind a first round pick and a 6th round pick. Hence the added pressure on Kreider to turn pro.

TreeSapLlama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2011, 04:54 PM
Agentsmith

kreider

kreider is a #1 pick. he has the tools to become a dominant player. fans want to see him allready.

as a 6th rounder kinda smallish (i met him 2 days ago) hagelin is a surprise. not only is he fast but he is strong in the corners and gets a lot of shots.

hence kreider gets the berating (he blocked me on twitter) hags gets all the praise.

Agentsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2011, 04:59 PM
Tanner Glass
Call me Nils

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agentsmith View Post
kreider is a #1 pick. he has the tools to become a dominant player. fans want to see him allready.

as a 6th rounder kinda smallish (i met him 2 days ago) hagelin is a surprise. not only is he fast but he is strong in the corners and gets a lot of shots.

hence kreider gets the berating (he blocked me on twitter) hags gets all the praise.
Hi, welcome to the boards

Tanner Glass is online now   Reply With Quote