HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Third Goalie

Old
11-20-2011, 06:44 PM
donghabs98

vCash: 567
Third Goalie

I hear that if the starter and back up get hurt in the same game a player like forward or defensemen must come in relief.

Is this true and if so has that ever happen in a hockey l(is there video)

donghabs98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2011, 07:11 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

vCash: 500
Not in the modern era that Im aware of. The most famous (or infamous) instance was way back in 1928 when 44yr old GM/Coach Lester Patrick donned the pads in the Stanley Cup Finals against Montreal when his goalie took a game ending puck in the eye. Patrick had been a standout defenceman as a player but had retired 6yrs earlier & certainly had never played goal. No backup's were used back then, so if your goalie did get hurt often the trainer or a minor pro/junior goalie would fill in. In this case, there were a couple of pro's in the crowd willing but the Habs refused to accept them. One of NY's defencemen volunteered but he was too important to the team to be stuck in the crease, and Lester was running out of time. Over 2 regulation periods he only let in one goal, the game going into over-time, the Rangers winning 2-1 and going on to win the Stanley Cup later in the series.

There have been other cases, plenty of them actually and some pretty hilarious of the starter going down, the backup or replacement in the crowd having to be tracked down in the nearest bar, 3 sheets to the wind, never expecting to be called upon. Back in the day, some of the teams paid a small per-diem and free tickets to a minor leaguer or junior goalie to attend, just in case, a nice night out if you sold the ticket & spent the per-diem on Whiskey, Women & Song. But WHILE the game was going on?...

Hah!.

Last edited by Killion: 11-20-2011 at 07:19 PM. Reason: Typos;
Killion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2011, 04:31 AM
jkrx

The closest thing I can recal was a couple of years ago or last season when a trainer got a one game with capitals I think. It wasnt during game though.

jkrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2011, 09:45 PM
MonzaSpyder

I can't recall anything like that happening in the NHL but I vividly recall it happening in the OHL a long time ago now when I was at a Rangers' home game as a kid.

Kitchener Rangers vs Brantford Alexanders - Dec 20, 1980 (yeah, a long time ago, and I cheated, I had to look it up)

Wendell Young started the game and was ejected about halfway through with the score tied a 4-4 (he was subsequently suspended for 2 games for this incident as were 4 other Rangers and an unknown number of Alexanders).

Backup, Steve Bienkowski came in relief, allowed 3, but was hurt and was unable to finish the game with about 9 minutes remaining.

Enter forward Jeff Larmer (yes, younger brother to Steve) who strapped on Young's pads and finished the game stopping all shots he faced.

Alas, Kitchener couldn't get the tying goal with Larmer between the pipes and lost 7-6. Damn!

MonzaSpyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2011, 01:51 AM
Peter9

My memory tells me this has been covered on this board. I remember telling about how the Detroit Red Wings trainer during the 1950s, filled in several times when a starting keeper was injured, even for the team playing the Wings And he performed very well since he often served as the Red Wing practice goaltender. Of course he was serving as a second goalkeeper, not a third. There was no backup regularly available to each team in those days.

http://redwingslegends.blogspot.com/...ty-wilson.html

http://www.nytimes.com/2002/11/09/sp...hl-goalie.html

Peter9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2011, 10:48 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

There was the recent case, just a couple of nights ago in Minnesota. The Wild having to pull a 51yr old Beer League'r in as a backup when they found themselves short. The guy was game, participated in the warm-up, but alas one of the regulars showed up at the last minute...

Old
11-26-2011, 10:28 PM
STLBlueshistory
@STLBlueshistory

Nov 13 1968

Glenn Hall, Robbie Irons & Jacques Plante all played for the Blues.

Glenn Hall was ejected; Robbie Irons came in until Plante who was sitting in the stands had time to get dressed.

Ironically this was Irons only appearance in the NHL.

Dec 11 1968

Jacques Plante, Gary Edwards & Glenn Hall all played for the Blues. Edwards replaced Plante after struck in forehead on shot by Stan Mikita and had to receive 15 stitches. Edwards finished the first period and replaced by Hall at the start of the second. This was Gary Edwards only appearance for the Blues that year.

Bowman had a habit of having the '3rd' goalie dress as the backup and the non starter not dress.

STLBlueshistory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2011, 12:18 AM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim B View Post
Nov 13 1968...Ironically this was Irons only appearance in the NHL.
Ya, very true. He was on the ice for a grand total of 3 minutes, and a record that stands to this day.

Old
12-08-2011, 09:49 AM
MonzaSpyder

That 3 minute record was tied by a few more goalies over the years (Christian Soucy - Chi, Sean Gauthier, SJ, Mathieu Chouinard - LA and Rob McVicar - Van) but it has been topped as well.

2 minutes - Martin Houle - Phi

and the winner ...

Jordan Sigalet - 05/06 Boston Bruins, he go a whole minute of NHL ice-time.

MonzaSpyder is offline   Reply With Quote