HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Baseball Thread: Late Game Heroics Edition

Old
12-08-2011, 10:39 AM
BuiltTagonTough
Stand still laddy!

vCash: 500
The Baseball Thread: 6 Days...

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?...s_mlb&c_id=mlb

Pujols and CJ Wilson to the Angels

Quote:
DALLAS -- The Angels' huge Winter Meetings splash didn't stop with Thursday's stunning agreement with Albert Pujols. They also came to terms on a deal with free-agent left-hander C.J. Wilson.

The deal with Pujols, according to Jon Heyman of MLB Network and Ken Rosenthal of FoxSports.com, is for 10 years, includes a full no-trade clause and is worth between $250 million-$260 million. That would rival the record-setting 10-year, $275 million contract Alex Rodriguez signed with the Yankees in December 2007.

The agreement with Wilson, formerly of the Rangers, is for $77.5 million over five years, a source confirmed.
Quote:
Pujols' deal with the Angels could be the second- or third-richest in Major League history. Rodriguez's first free-agent contract, a $252 million deal made with Texas in January 2001, ranks second.

The Angels will have to move some pieces around, considering they have a capable young first baseman in Mark Trumbo and a recovering one in Kendrys Morales. A multitude of options are on the table.

The Angels were negotiating with both Wilson and Pujols deep into Wednesday night. Throughout the offseason, they were expected to have between $15 million-$20 million to spend on additions. The Pujols deal, with an average annual value of at least $25 million, puts them over that budget, but the team has sent a clear message that it's ready to win now.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?...s_mlb&c_id=mlb

Marlins add Buehrle to Bell and Reyes for off-season acquisitions.

Quote:
DALLAS -- Miami is a marquee city. And looking to become the biggest sports show in town, the Marlins struck yet again with another top-tier free agent.

MLB.com has confirmed Mark Buehrle has agreed to a four-year, $58 million contract with the Marlins on Wednesday, giving the organization its third high-profile addition in three days. Buehrle is expected to take his physical in Miami and be introduced at a news conference in Miami on Friday.

News that Buehrle will be joining Miami came a couple of hours after All-Star Jose Reyes was introduced as the Marlins' new shortstop. On Monday, All-Star closer Heath Bell officially signed, with that announcement highlighting the first day of the Winter Meetings.
Quote:
Bringing in an established veteran like Buehrle promise to provide a boost for the rotation and team.

"He's going to make everyone around him better," Johnson said of Buehrle. "He's the type of guy that we have needed for a long time."

The Marlins' rotation now shapes up with Johnson, Buehrle, Ricky Nolasco, Anibal Sanchez and Chris Volstad. Wade LeBlanc, acquired in a trade with the Padres for catcher John Baker, adds depth.

The Marlins also are expected to remain active looking for another proven starting pitcher.

Last edited by BuiltTagonTough: 02-05-2013 at 03:28 PM.
BuiltTagonTough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2011, 11:13 AM
S319R11S16
Expect Suffering

Thats a lotta $$$ Being tossed around.

TPegs should have bought a baseball agency.

S319R11S16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2011, 11:14 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
That other one was what, 2 or 3 years old? Best to let it die.

12-08-2011, 11:17 AM
S319R11S16
Expect Suffering

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
Yea pretty sure it was like 5 or 6 Chipper Jones injuries ago.

S319R11S16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2011, 11:18 AM
Fly Boy
Aye Sir!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
Don't believe it was that old, but just so many bad memories. I'm glad it's gone. As a Red Sox and Braves fan, I want a trace of nothing to remind me of last season.

Fly Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2011, 11:30 AM
BuiltTagonTough
Stand still laddy!

Now that Wilson and Buehrle are off the market do we see JJ get traded? Asking price was pretty high at last count.

Old
12-08-2011, 12:28 PM
thefifagod
I'm The Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuiltTagonTough View Post
Now that Wilson and Buehrle are off the market do we see JJ get traded? Asking price was pretty high at last count.
He and Gio Gonzalez talks have to heat up now along with Darvish talks. I would still need to be overwhelmed to move JJ unless the doctors think his knees are doomed long term considering Hudson's back surgery and Hanson's shoulder.

thefifagod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2011, 01:11 PM
OpethianSabre20

Glad to see that Pujols will no longer be in the NL. This has gotta sting for Cards fans.

Quote:
Yeah, I think he'll be gone. Hudson and Hanson will be back and then you've got Beachy and Medlen rounding out the #3 & #4 spots. It would make sense to shop JJ and have Teheran or Delgado be the 5th starter.

Prado will probably be gone by the end of the week as well.

OpethianSabre20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2011, 01:15 PM
thefifagod
I'm The Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpethianSabre20 View Post
Glad to see that Pujols will no longer be in the NL. This has gotta sting for Cards fans.

Yeah, I think he'll be gone. Hudson and Hanson will be back and then you've got Beachy and Medlen rounding out the #3 & #4 spots. It would make sense to shop JJ and have Teheran or Delgado be the 5th starter.

Prado will probably be gone by the end of the week as well.
DOB says he thinks JJ goes and Prado stays. Honestly I really have no idea. And Minor would definitely be in the rotation before Medlen imo because Medlen can easily go in the pen. The question is if they feel comfortable with Teheran or Delgado. I'm just worried that I am going to be upset with the return for either of those guys.

Old
12-08-2011, 01:24 PM
OpethianSabre20

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefifagod View Post
DOB says he thinks JJ goes and Prado stays. Honestly I really have no idea. And Minor would definitely be in the rotation before Medlen imo because Medlen can easily go in the pen. The question is if they feel comfortable with Teheran or Delgado. I'm just worried that I am going to be upset with the return for either of those guys.
D'oh! I forgot about Minor.

I did read though that they are going to stretch out Medlen as a starter, but they'll put him in the pen if necessary.

My understanding is that there's a solid market for both Prado and Jurrjens. I think Frank will get fair value for them.

OpethianSabre20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2011, 01:26 PM
thefifagod
I'm The Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpethianSabre20 View Post
D'oh! I forgot about Minor.

I did read though that they are going to stretch out Medlen as a starter, but they'll put him in the pen if necessary.

My understanding is that there's a solid market for both Prado and Jurrjens. I think Frank will get fair value for them.
Yeah I saw that too, I just think that with such a logjam he'll be relegated to the pen. I certainly hope so, I think for Prado the value will be fair, I'm worried that we will get ripped off on Jurrjens. His value will probably be lower because of his knees. Then again, it only takes one GM to make the right offer. Only time will tell I guess.

Old
12-08-2011, 01:27 PM
KevinFG

Send a message via Skype™ to KevinFG
I love me some baseball. Life long, dedicated, and realistic Buccos fan.

So if I'm quiet here, forgive me.

I did like the Bedard signing though

KevinFG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2011, 01:29 PM
Zip15

vCash: 50
Quote:
Dan Connolly (Orioles beat writer for The Sun) said a few weeks ago that his sources told him that Baltimore was interested in Jurrjens, but wouldn't put Adam Jones on the table. And that was the end of the negotiation from ATL's point of view.

Zip15 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2011, 02:22 PM
thefifagod
I'm The Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
Dan Connolly (Orioles beat writer for The Sun) said a few weeks ago that his sources told him that Baltimore was interested in Jurrjens, but wouldn't put Adam Jones on the table. And that was the end of the negotiation from ATL's point of view.
DOB from the Atlanta Journal Constitution said the same thing, didn't know it came out in Baltimore too. I would even add to JJ to get Jones, no question about that. It was either Morosi or Rosenthal that tweeted yesterday that Jones is completely off the market which is unfortunate. Probably going to take some time for Wren to decide what he wants to do.

Old
12-08-2011, 02:24 PM
thefifagod
I'm The Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFG View Post
I love me some baseball. Life long, dedicated, and realistic Buccos fan.

So if I'm quiet here, forgive me.

I did like the Bedard signing though
Bedard was a very good signing. Got him for cheap, if he stays healthy he'll be very productive and if the team isn't doing well, they can get a good return of prospects for Bedard. If not, then it's only one year, oh well.

Old
12-08-2011, 02:33 PM
Zip15

Quote:
DOB from the Atlanta Journal Constitution said the same thing, didn't know it came out in Baltimore too. I would even add to JJ to get Jones, no question about that. It was either Morosi or Rosenthal that tweeted yesterday that Jones is completely off the market which is unfortunate. Probably going to take some time for Wren to decide what he wants to do.
Yeah, as much as the O's need pitching, I think they'd be dumb to trade Jones. I think he's the closest thing they have to a future star, and the most likely to reach his ceiling. I think he's part of the long-term solution.

Old
12-08-2011, 02:36 PM
thefifagod
I'm The Survivor

Quote:
Yeah, as much as the O's need pitching, I think they'd be dumb to trade Jones. I think he's the closest thing they have to a future star, and the most likely to reach his ceiling. I think he's part of the long-term solution.
Agreed, the only thing holding him back is his OBP. A career .319 OBP is not good by any means but there is a lot to like with Jones.

Old
12-08-2011, 02:55 PM
Zip15

Quote:
Agreed, the only thing holding him back is his OBP. A career .319 OBP is not good by any means but there is a lot to like with Jones.
I think that should go up. In the few years I've been here, his batting eye has improved exponentially. He no longer chases outside breaking pitches that are 18 inches off the plate. Atlanta would also be able to better protect him in their lineup. He gives 100% in every game--even if he looks nonchalant when catching balls in center--and he's a great teammate. Put in a winning environment, I think he'd excel.

Old
12-21-2011, 12:11 PM
Zip15

Since I know there are a lot of Braves fans around here, just a tad bit more about the Braves/Orioles talks about Adam Jones that have gone on this winter (in Dan Connolly's Baltimore Sun blog on 12/20/11):

Quote:
Well, Adam Jones is the team’s best trade chip. But unless the Orioles get a front-line pitcher in return, I don’t see them dealing Jones. The Atlanta Braves made a run this month, offering second baseman-outfielder Martin Prado, starter Jair Jurrjens and, eventually, a pitching prospect, and the Orioles didn’t bite. So that tells you just how much they value their center fielder. (Jurrjens looked like a front-line starter in the first half of 2011, but there have been some durability concerns surrounding the 25-year-old righty since his 215-inning season in 2009.)
http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/o...,5404920.story

Jurrjens + Prado + pitching prospect would be a decent haul, depending on who the pitching prospect is. I wonder if the Braves will continue kicking the tires and ultimately meet Baltimore's asking price (I'd have to imagine they'd want Minor in any deal), or if Baltimore simply isn't trading Jonesey.

Old
12-21-2011, 12:13 PM
BuiltTagonTough
Stand still laddy!

Quote:
Since I know there are a lot of Braves fans around here, just a tad bit more about the Braves/Orioles talks about Adam Jones that have gone on this winter (in Dan Connolly's Baltimore Sun blog on 12/20/11):

Jurrjens + Prado + pitching prospect would be a decent haul, depending on who the pitching prospect is. I wonder if the Braves will continue kicking the tires and ultimately meet Baltimore's asking price (I'd have to imagine they'd want Minor in any deal), or if Baltimore simply isn't trading Jonesey.
Man...that's a hefty price to give up for him, but I'd pull that trigger depending on who the prospect was.

Old
12-21-2011, 12:41 PM
PanicItsVanek26

Quote:

As a life long O's fan (not easy) I hope they don't trade Jones. The O's seem to develop some good talent and then they get rid of them because they're so cheap. They need to build around Jones, Wieters, Matusz, Britton, Dylan Bundy, Machado, Bridwell, and Schoop.

PanicItsVanek26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 12:44 PM
thefifagod
I'm The Survivor

Quote:
Man...that's a hefty price to give up for him, but I'd pull that trigger depending on who the prospect was.
Unless the Braves are that worried about Jurrjens' knees (and I'm not a doctor and don't want to speculate), I don't pull the trigger on this deal unless we're getting back something with Jones. There's no definitely no chance if the prospect was one of the Four Horsemen of the Pitchocalypse or even Gilmartin. While he is developing into a power hitting right handed bat that we need, his on base percentage is far below average for that price and actually decreased the last 2 years to .319. Now he can certainly improve, he's only 26 and theoretically a player's prime is at 27 years old, but Jurrjens+Prado+ is a ton to give up for Jones. His defense would be very good in LF for this year although when he plays center he's average in the field (yes, I know he won a gold glove but that doesn't mean anything, in 2008 he was much better than his GG winning year). Would I like to get him? Yes. JJ+ or Prado+, sure, but not both+.

Old
02-20-2012, 03:01 PM
Fly Boy
Aye Sir!

Spring Training is HERE!!!!

Fly Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 03:18 PM
drinking bleach irl
POST MORE RECKLESS

vCash: 300
So what are the chances "my" Mets do anything?

drinking bleach irl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 03:25 PM
thefifagod
I'm The Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatal System Ehrhoff View Post
So what are the chances "my" Mets do anything?
< 1% to make the playoffs. And no, I'm not kidding. They're clearly the worst team in their division. In fact, Joe Sheehan of Baseball Prospectus asked a serious question today on Twitter that made me laugh for a long time because I'm a Braves fan:

Joe Sheehan @joe_sheehan
Toss-up: For 2012 only, would you rather have the Braves' #6-#10 starters, or Mets' #1-#5?