HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Official MLB Thread - Part V (Santana throws first no-hitter in Mets history)

Closed Thread

Old
12-08-2011, 09:13 AM
NYRFAN218
Mac Truck

vCash: 500
Pujols to the Angels. 10 years, north of $250 million.

Old
12-08-2011, 09:24 AM
poeman
Fixing Rangers PP

ESPN's Buster Olney reports Albert Pujols has agreed to a deal with the Angels, according to sources. Deal is 10 years, $250 million.

CJ Wilson also close with the Angels.

Damn.

Old
12-08-2011, 09:30 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Well there's your mystery team.

Glad he's in the AL.

It's just pain.
Old
12-08-2011, 09:50 AM
JaeTM

$250 M...sweet baby jesus.

Old
12-08-2011, 10:19 AM
NYRFAN218
Mac Truck

CJ Wilson an Angel as well. $75 million over 5 years. The Angels have now spent $325 million today.

Old
12-08-2011, 11:00 AM
Ih8theislanders
Full-kit ****ers

Disappointed he didn't stay with the Cards

Old
12-08-2011, 11:10 AM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

As long as he didn't go to Florida.

Old
12-08-2011, 11:33 AM
JimmyStart*

Awful job by the Mets not trading Reyes. A lot of people felt they had no desire to re-sign him and with the injury history I don't blame them. Most incompetently run organization in the last few years.

Old
12-08-2011, 12:02 PM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Well the American League just got that much tougher. Yankees better find some damn good pitching to combat that.

Old
12-08-2011, 12:15 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyStart View Post
Awful job by the Mets not trading Reyes. A lot of people felt they had no desire to re-sign him and with the injury history I don't blame them. Most incompetently run organization in the last few years.
At the end of the day though, the picks they get as compensation for losing him are probably pretty close to what they'd have gotten had they traded him. Reyes made it clear he was going to hit free agency, which sapped his value to some extent. The Mets moved Beltran, another rental, and received an excellent prospect and some crap. With the two picks the Mets just got, they should be able to get two very good prospects.

Losing Reyes sucks, but when you actually think about what they got versus what they could have received, it's not that bad of a deal for the franchise.

Old
12-08-2011, 12:22 PM
nyrleetch

Angels are ruining baseball!!!

Old
12-08-2011, 02:52 PM
Zil

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
At the end of the day though, the picks they get as compensation for losing him are probably pretty close to what they'd have gotten had they traded him. Reyes made it clear he was going to hit free agency, which sapped his value to some extent. The Mets moved Beltran, another rental, and received an excellent prospect and some crap. With the two picks the Mets just got, they should be able to get two very good prospects.

Losing Reyes sucks, but when you actually think about what they got versus what they could have received, it's not that bad of a deal for the franchise.
You are aware that they're not getting the Marlins' first round pick aren't you? The top 18 picks in the draft are not subject to the free agent compensation rule. The Mets get a sandwich round pick and a second or third round pick (depending on whether Reyes was higher rated than Heath Bell). Given that they got Zack Wheeler for Beltran, they probably could gotten another two elite prospects for Reyes. Plus, those prospects would already have a year or two of development and be closer to the majors. There's really no way to spin not trading Reyes as anything other than a colossal blunder.

Old
12-08-2011, 02:56 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zil View Post
You are aware that they're not getting the Marlins' first round pick aren't you? The top 18 picks in the draft are not subject to the free agent compensation rule. The Mets get a sandwich round pick and a second or third round pick (depending on whether Reyes was higher rated than Heath Bell). Given that they got Zack Wheeler for Beltran, they probably could gotten another two elite prospects for Reyes. Plus, those prospects would already have a year or two of development and be closer to the majors. There's really no way to spin not trading Reyes as anything other than a colossal blunder.
It's not depending. We DO get a 2nd round pick. He is rated higher than Bell. Already been confirmed.

Old
12-08-2011, 03:35 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zil View Post
Yes, I'm aware. And we do get the second round pick as well. It's not a maybe, it's a done deal.

I don't think Reyes gets you two elite prospects at the deadline. I think he gets you one elite prospect and one very good prospect. He would have been a rental.

Could we have received more value had we traded Reyes? Probably. Is it a "colossal" mistake? Not seeing it. I'm always critical of the Mets, but this isn't as bad as you're making it to be.

Old
12-08-2011, 03:59 PM
broadwayblue

So what can they get for Wright?

Old
12-08-2011, 04:02 PM
Zil

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
Yes, I'm aware. And we do get the second round pick as well. It's not a maybe, it's a done deal.

I don't think Reyes gets you two elite prospects at the deadline. I think he gets you one elite prospect and one very good prospect. He would have been a rental.

Could we have received more value had we traded Reyes? Probably. Is it a "colossal" mistake? Not seeing it. I'm always critical of the Mets, but this isn't as bad as you're making it to be.
They got one elite prospect for Beltran. If they'd been smart and traded Reyes when he was really hot, they could have conceivably gotten two elite prospects for him. Look at what the Astros got for Hunter Pence. I'd wager the tradeoff in how much better Reyes is than Pence would've made up for the extra years on Pence's contract. And once again, by using the picks rather than acquiring prospects we're losing a few years of development time. That's not something to be scoffed at. Plus, prospects who've already spent time in the minors and done well are less of a crapshoot than draft picks.

Old
12-08-2011, 04:07 PM
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman

Welcome to the real big leagues Pujols.

Old
12-08-2011, 04:18 PM
Swept In Seven
Muh Offensive Talent

vCash: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckface NYR View Post
Welcome to the real big leagues Pujols.
The guy has won 2 World Series. He is been in the big league for a long time

Old
12-08-2011, 04:21 PM
Machinehead
★★★★

The Yankees remain dormant in free agency while everyone else loots the majors. Actually, I love it. It might prove that we're not good because rich, we're good because we're good.

Old
12-08-2011, 04:30 PM
TrollololBoyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
The Yankees remain dormant in free agency while everyone else loots the majors. Actually, I love it. It might prove that we're not good because rich, we're good because we're good.
I agree, guys like Wilson, Buehrle, etc aren't really worth it, it's nice to see them not do the same thing things that resulted in guys like Pavano and Wright years ago. All I want for Christmas is Darvish.

Old
12-08-2011, 04:36 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by DatsyukSOGoal View Post
I agree, guys like Wilson, Buehrle, etc aren't really worth it, it's nice to see them not do the same thing things that resulted in guys like Pavano and Wright years ago. All I want for Christmas is Darvish.
I agree. I would be super pumped if they were able to sign Darvish.

Old
12-08-2011, 05:01 PM
Ih8theislanders
Full-kit ****ers

I'm skeptical about Darvish. How many Japenese imported pitchers really work out? Not a great track record.

Old
12-08-2011, 05:05 PM
rangers4ever2007

rather wait for felix to hit the market (and he will eventually) than darvish

Old
12-08-2011, 05:23 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Wilson follows Pujols, as per Yahoo.

Old
12-08-2011, 05:50 PM
Zil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ih8theislanders View Post
I'm skeptical about Darvish. How many Japenese imported pitchers really work out? Not a great track record.
I'm skeptical too, but he is 6'5", throws 95 mph, and has considerably less wear and tear than previous imports like Matsuzaka.

Closed Thread