HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > NCAA, CIS, and other college
NCAA, CIS, and other college Discuss college/university news, players, leagues, games, and tournaments.

AUS Fan in Vegas

Old
12-03-2011, 09:47 AM
AUS Fan

vCash: 500
AUS Fan in Vegas

I`m in Vegas for the week (running a half marathon Sunday), so I took in the Las Vegas - Idaho (ECHL) game last night. Both Marc Rancourt and Chad Klassen are playing for Idaho. This was Rancourt`s second game as he was on the IR since Oct 15 with a broken jaw. His jaw is still wired. He didn`t get a lot of minutes but scored the first SO goal and Idaho won 3-2. Crowd of close to 5K in a 7700 seat arena.
Nice rink, too. I can see a similar building replacing Alumni Arena.

AUS Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2011, 10:24 AM
blackmarketmob

Former Guelph Gryphon and Ottawa 67 Thomas Kiriakou is also playing for the Wrangler. Not sure if he played in that game.

blackmarketmob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2011, 05:25 PM
AUS Fan

No he didn't dress last night. Nothing on the game notes regarding injury. Will see if he plays tonight or Tuesday night.

Old
12-07-2011, 12:41 PM
AUS Fan

Final game last night vs Stockton. Former Axeman Kevin Baker plays for the Thunder. Still wearing #71. Scored a nice goal in a 4-2 loss.

Kiriakou played for the Wranglers last night.

Going to the Elvis chapel tonight and see if I get Lucky.

Old
12-07-2011, 02:53 PM
UNB Bruins Fan

As someone who has never seen an ECHL game I am curious as to how you felt the level of play compared to that of the CIS, and specifically the AUS?

UNB Bruins Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2011, 06:48 PM
AUS Fan

The ECHL has come a long way from the days when it resembled "Slap Shot". I also saw some games in Wheeling a couple of years ago.
The league is getting better every year, with NHL draft picks playing there as well as top level CIS and major junior grads. The overall level of play would be superior to most CIS teams. You don't have the same amount of time as you have in the CIS and they make better plays overall. Players are playing for money so if they don't perform, they're gone, and not just to the press box. Las Vegas is not affiliated with any NHL/AHL team, so they can sign the best free agents and not have to play draft picks.
One could argue that the top CIS teams would compete with these guys. True enough. But look down your bench and see how many guys COULD play in the ECHL and realize that they have 20 guys who DO play there.

Like any league there are good and lesser teams. Vegas has a good team with some players close to 30 years old with 8-10 years in the league.

Old
12-08-2011, 03:49 AM
rantfather

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUS Fan View Post
No he didn't dress last night. Nothing on the game notes regarding injury. Will see if he plays tonight or Tuesday night.
I happen to know that AUS fan is in Vegas with a Lakehead FAN friend of mine and is probably picking his brain about the OUA hockey strength; the friends that you meet in hockey are so great as both these gents are Marathon Running addicts but also HUGH CIS hockey fans............ENJOY Vegas Guys and see you in the rinks.

rantfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2011, 12:22 PM
AUS Fan

We were just talking about you the other day. Hope things are well with you.

As far as picking Jim's brain... the pickings are mighty slim.

Old
12-08-2011, 09:18 PM
rantfather

Quote:

OMG, I know you are kidding, I am envious of you guys, not the running but the hockey;I will be back to see the Tommies Jan 13th until the 22nd,in the meantime I enjoy reading these boards and starting something from time to time and of course as many games on the Internet....enjoy AUS fan and Jim-Bob!

Old
12-10-2011, 02:19 PM
rantfather

Quote:

AUS FAN, Jim Bob tells me that in the 26er he could run your "sorry a** " into the ground ! you are both to be commended for your running prowess and good luck to you both in your respective age classes.......I didn't think AUS FAN that you were permitted to run when past 100...........good for you, LOL