HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Is the Gangsta' pouting over Jagr?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-08-2011, 12:31 PM
  #26
HH
GO HABS GO!
 
HH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,302
vCash: 500
You complain you are not getting thoughtful replies?

Simple. Write a thoughtful thread.

HH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2011, 12:31 PM
  #27
smon
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 2,006
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megaforce View Post
We know that Plex was lobbying management to sign him, so it's no stretch to suggest that Plex's downtown is a result of his disappointment.
Go find some proof of him lobbying management. Go find some proof that he was even slightly upset that they didn't. Do you honestly think NHL players, aside from the Crosbys of the world, think they can seriously tell management who to sign?

You don't know any of this. The real thing is you, not Plekanec, are upset that they didn't sign Jagr. And the season is still young, if Jagr goes into a prolonged slump, I'm going to guess you'll stop talking about him.

smon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2011, 12:32 PM
  #28
Bloumeister
RIP Jean Béliveau
 
Bloumeister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: @Bloumeister
Posts: 6,661
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megaforce View Post
Ok, well let's discuss this deeper then. Looks like Ima have to school ya!

The only good post I've seen here is the one projecting that his assist totals show that he is having a good season, that was a good point. (as was the one mentioning Hamrlik)

But 6 goals in 22 games are more like Max Lapierre numbers in my eyes and it's 50% less than old washed-up Jagr himself, it should be noted.

So what is the recipe for excellence? Mostly it's about ability and talent but there's an additional factor, how much passion are you putting into your work? How much commitment to detail, getting your sleep, eating right, visualizing, communicating with your teammates.

Like they say in baseball, the difference between hitting 240 and 300 is about 20 line drives a year. There's a fine line between excellence and mediocrity.

Just a tiny bit of alienation, loss of interest, irritation can be the difference between an average output and an excellent result.

I fear Plex is not attaining the excellence and it's possibly because he's still irked at not signing Jagr.

We can admit now that it was a mistake for us not to get him and it must be festering for the Czech. We know that Plex was lobbying management to sign him, so it's no stretch to suggest that Plex's downtown is a result of his disappointment.
Yes, it is... unless you can prove to me that the difference between hitting .240 and .300 is Russell Martin playing with Justin Morneau or not.

Bloumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2011, 12:38 PM
  #29
malcb33
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: New Zealand
Country: New Zealand
Posts: 45
vCash: 500
Plex is taking more than his share of the defensive match ups this year and to me that's why his offensive totals are lower than usual. Couple that with a slower transition game due to our inexperienced defense and lack of regular line mates and its not really surprising...

malcb33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2011, 12:42 PM
  #30
llamateizer
Registered User
 
llamateizer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Montreal
Country:
Posts: 5,453
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megaforce View Post
Ok, well let's discuss this deeper then. Looks like Ima have to school ya!

The only good post I've seen here is the one projecting that his assist totals show that he is having a good season, that was a good point. (as was the one mentioning Hamrlik)

But 6 goals in 22 games are more like Max Lapierre numbers in my eyes and it's 50% less than old washed-up Jagr himself, it should be noted.

So what is the recipe for excellence? Mostly it's about ability and talent but there's an additional factor, how much passion are you putting into your work? How much commitment to detail, getting your sleep, eating right, visualizing, communicating with your teammates.

Like they say in baseball, the difference between hitting 240 and 300 is about 20 line drives a year. There's a fine line between excellence and mediocrity.

Just a tiny bit of alienation, loss of interest, irritation can be the difference between an average output and an excellent result.

I fear Plex is not attaining the excellence and it's possibly because he's still irked at not signing Jagr.

We can admit now that it was a mistake for us not to get him and it must be festering for the Czech. We know that Plex was lobbying management to sign him, so it's no stretch to suggest that Plex's downtown is a result of his disappointment.
actual
28gp 6goals 17 assists 23 pts
projection
82 games 18 goals 50 assists 68 pts

llamateizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2011, 12:45 PM
  #31
Turtleneck Plek
Real Life
 
Turtleneck Plek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,130
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megaforce View Post
You're being dismissive.

I bet it has happened to everybody on this discussion forum.

You feel disappointed at work and therefore lose focus, don't work as hard, feel a little bit of resentment, feel that your input isn't appreciated and so forth.

Surely Pleks has noticed that Jagr has 9 goals in 22 games which would put him off the team lead by one.

My argument is solid.
Premise 1: Pleks was disappointed that we didn't sign Jagr.
Premise 2: Disappointment leads to a downturn in workplace motivation.
Conclusion: Pleks suffered a downtown in motivation.
When you say he suffered a downtown in motivation, would you say it's more towards Place des Arts, or closer to Concordia? Because downtown is wide, I'm trying to get a better idea of your point.

Turtleneck Plek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2011, 12:47 PM
  #32
Megaforce
Registered User
 
Megaforce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: St. Raymond NDG/Mtl
Country: Azerbaijan
Posts: 1,376
vCash: 500
Oh? If they're trying to turn our goal scorer into a defensive specialist, then that's just lunacy.

They' gotta stop doing that because the Habs are 22nd in goals and they've played more games than the teams below them, so realistically we're about 26 or 27 out of 31 for goals scored.

So put on some kid with skating skills for defensive duties and tell Plek to go score some goals.

And if it's not too late to get the mullet, then we should do that as well.

Megaforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2011, 01:02 PM
  #33
WhiskeySeven
Mr. Worldwide
 
WhiskeySeven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 15,399
vCash: 500
How do some of you people manage to walk and breathe at the same time? How do your neural connections really work?

Pleks is doing fine. It's the team that's sinking.

WhiskeySeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2011, 01:07 PM
  #34
Davebo
Le Gros Bill
 
Davebo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,397
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megaforce View Post
Oh? If they're trying to turn our goal scorer into a defensive specialist, then that's just lunacy.
Pleks has been a defensive specialist for years, which tells me you're a new fan. Goal scorer!

Pleks wouldn't pull a stunt like you're describing. Just like you KNOW he's distracted (yeah right ), I know he's mature enough to not get bent out of shape over a long shot like signing jagr


Last edited by Habsfan18: 12-08-2011 at 02:45 PM. Reason: edited out unnecessary comment
Davebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2011, 01:12 PM
  #35
Bloumeister
RIP Jean Béliveau
 
Bloumeister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: @Bloumeister
Posts: 6,661
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davebo View Post
Pleks has been a defensive specialist for years, which tells me you're a new fan. Goal scorer!

Pleks wouldn't pull a stunt like you're describing. Just like you KNOW he's distracted (yeah right ), I know he's mature enough to not get bent out of shape over a long shot like signing jagr
No, I think the guy's on to something. Pleks IS a moody gangsta. Remember this: he had his best season after Kovalev left, so by all means, let's give him what he wants

Bloumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2011, 01:12 PM
  #36
number 11
Registered User
 
number 11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Montreal
Posts: 3,924
vCash: 500
plek is our best player, was at ppg pace before the team REALLY started sucking.

number 11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2011, 01:17 PM
  #37
Stradale
Registered User
 
Stradale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 10,000
vCash: 500
I think he has more chance of having an undiagnosed concussion.

Stradale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2011, 01:23 PM
  #38
HH
GO HABS GO!
 
HH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,302
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtleneck Plek View Post
When you say he suffered a downtown in motivation, would you say it's more towards Place des Arts, or closer to Concordia? Because downtown is wide, I'm trying to get a better idea of your point.
I would say closer to Rene-Levesque.

HH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2011, 01:33 PM
  #39
Megaforce
Registered User
 
Megaforce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: St. Raymond NDG/Mtl
Country: Azerbaijan
Posts: 1,376
vCash: 500
Does anybody on this board have any knowledge of group dynamics?

It's an entire field of study that examines the factors that cause groups to succeed or fail.

One of my good friends, the brilliant Colin Robertson (who was also a star on Canada's rugby team for several years) has explained this stuff to me on many occasions.

There are some models that simply don't work and lead to friction in the workplace. For example, when one proclaims himself the leader, it causes the others to slack off and wait for the leader to bring them to success. This is a doomed strategy.

Another model is when two leaders emerge and then create another damaging dynamic.

A group, a team in this case, is very delicate and requires a lot of maintenance.

I think Plek's (possible) disappointment over Jagr is something that should be thrashed out in a group discussion within the team.

This and other stuff, including the other excellent points made here, such as the possible irritation by some players over higher-paid, lower-performing colleagues, has to be addressed as the team has been pretty bad this year, much worse than expected.

And if you don't have anything useful to contribute to this discussion, please try to repress the temptation to insult me personally or make dumbass quips.

Megaforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2011, 01:42 PM
  #40
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 31,414
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megaforce View Post
Tommy Plekanec isn't having a terrible season but he's projected to have his first sub-20 goal full season in a Habs uni.

I haven't watched (or stayed awake) through enough Habs games to authoritatively evaluate his performance but I got the feeling he'd suck this year as revenge for the team not signing his pal Jagr.

Any other conspiracy theorists out there seeing this as I do?
PK is #1 in the NHl and he is on pace for more points than last year, no?

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2011, 01:43 PM
  #41
LyleOdelein
Registered User
 
LyleOdelein's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Renfrew
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,671
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megaforce View Post
If I was a mod I would ban you for ad hominen attack.

I've presented a structured, well-argued presentation. That you don't care to give it any thought or intelligent response is telling.
From your OP:

Quote:
I haven't watched (or stayed awake) through enough Habs games to authoritatively evaluate his performance but I got the feeling he'd suck this year as revenge for the team not signing his pal Jagr.
I'll give you a pass on structured as that's not a terribly written sentence (and I have a soft spot for comments in parenthesis). I do draw the line at "well-argued" though. You flat out admit that you aren't informed enough to make a judgement, then proceed to come to a ridiculous conclusion.

Your expanded arguments don't add much to the case as a whole. Cherry-picked statistical comparisons, analogies to baseball and some loose assumptions based on Plekanec's mental state aren't exactly compelling support.

The reason why most people are dismissing your argument is because it's a terrible argument.

LyleOdelein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2011, 01:48 PM
  #42
Young Gun
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 1,245
vCash: 500
For The Money He Is Paid. He'd Better Get His Ass In Gear. Do They All Think They Sould Get Crosby's Pay. They Can Have It, If They Play Like Him !!

Young Gun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2011, 01:51 PM
  #43
Megaforce
Registered User
 
Megaforce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: St. Raymond NDG/Mtl
Country: Azerbaijan
Posts: 1,376
vCash: 500
I don't mind my argument being attacked on its merits, so yeah, the ad hominens should really be more vigorously policed by the mods here I think.

Anyway I thought that everybody knew that Plex was disappointed about the Jagr non-signing.

I've been keeping my eye out for his performance this year because of this and while I don't know of his really sucking this year, it's clear that his goal total is projected to be under 20, which is really not very good for a guy in the prime of his career and even by his own standards, he's never had such a bad season based on goal totals.

And yeah, the other stuff is pretty much irrefutable 1- we're not scoring enough goals and he's one of our main goal scorers and 2-he was right to be (if he was) irritated at not signing of Jagr and therefore the better Jagr does, the more irritated he'll become at this. Jagr is turning out to be a great bargain. Even has more goals than Cole.

Anybody got some kinda link to a Czech-language interview or sumpin'? Cuz there's no doubt in my mind that others have referred to this Jagr non-signing as being hurtful to Plek.

Megaforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2011, 01:53 PM
  #44
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 16,068
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megaforce View Post
I don't mind my argument being attacked on its merits, so yeah, the ad hominens should really be more vigorously policed by the mods here I think.

Anyway I thought that everybody knew that Plex was disappointed about the Jagr non-signing.

I've been keeping my eye out for his performance this year because of this and while I don't know of his really sucking this year, it's clear that his goal total is projected to be under 20, which is really not very good for a guy in the prime of his career and even by his own standards, he's never had such a bad season based on goal totals.

And yeah, the other stuff is pretty much irrefutable 1- we're not scoring enough goals and he's one of our main goal scorers and 2-he was right to be (if he was) irritated at not signing of Jagr and therefore the better Jagr does, the more irritated he'll become at this. Jagr is turning out to be a great bargain. Even has more goals than Cole.

Anybody got some kinda link to a Czech-language interview or sumpin'? Cuz there's no doubt in my mind that others have referred to this Jagr non-signing as being hurtful to Plek.
/thread

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2011, 02:03 PM
  #45
One Trick Pony
Registered User
 
One Trick Pony's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,590
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megaforce View Post
If I was a mod I would ban you for ad hominen attack.

I've presented a structured, well-argued presentation. That you don't care to give it any thought or intelligent response is telling.
Troll


Last edited by One Trick Pony: 07-07-2012 at 03:01 PM.
One Trick Pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2011, 02:05 PM
  #46
LyleOdelein
Registered User
 
LyleOdelein's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Renfrew
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,671
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megaforce View Post
I don't mind my argument being attacked on its merits, so yeah, the ad hominens should really be more vigorously policed by the mods here I think.

Anyway I thought that everybody knew that Plex was disappointed about the Jagr non-signing.....
I don't agree with it, but let's assume that the hypothesis that Plekanec's focus has been affecting his play this year is correct: if this is the case, can you not think of any other personal reason that might account for him having been just a little distracted from hockey over the last couple months?

I would think there's more important things going on in Pleks' life than moping about Jagr signing in Philly.

LyleOdelein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2011, 02:12 PM
  #47
Roulin
Registered User
 
Roulin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Montreal
Posts: 4,242
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megaforce View Post
I haven't watched (or stayed awake) through enough Habs games to authoritatively evaluate his performance but I got the feeling he'd suck this year as revenge for the team not signing his pal Jagr.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megaforce View Post
I've presented a structured, well-argued presentation. That you don't care to give it any thought or intelligent response is telling.
Seems more like a wild, out of the blue guess to me.

Anyway, Plekanec has been fine under difficult circumstances. Martin has been right to give him the toughest assignments every game, rather than throw Eller, Desharnais or Noke to the wolves (they'd get eaten alive).

Roulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2011, 02:18 PM
  #48
Kue
Interviewing for GM
 
Kue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Portland OR
Country: United States
Posts: 466
vCash: 500
Also recall that Pleks power-play time has been at the point rather than at centre, likely resulting in more assists than goals.

Or, he doesn't like the new goal song so he's retaliating by not scoring as many goals himself. Its airtight logic.

Kue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2011, 02:19 PM
  #49
Gros Bill
Registered User
 
Gros Bill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Country: Rwanda
Posts: 5,903
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LyleOdelein View Post
I don't agree with it, but let's assume that the hypothesis that Plekanec's focus has been affecting his play this year is correct: if this is the case, can you not think of any other personal reason that might account for him having been just a little distracted from hockey over the last couple months?

I would think there's more important things going on in Pleks' life than moping about Jagr signing in Philly.
Eg: Wife having baby.

Gros Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2011, 02:20 PM
  #50
Mathradio
Go Roy Munson!
 
Mathradio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 9,561
vCash: 500
If Jagr did sign then there would have been no Cole.

Mathradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:25 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.