HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Do you guys Consider Theo Fleury & Pat Verbeek Power Forwards?

View Poll Results: Fleury & Verbeek: Power Forwards?
Yes Both do 2 10.00%
No Neither do 17 85.00%
Only Fleury 1 5.00%
Only Verbeek 0 0%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Old
12-06-2011, 11:09 PM
GreatGonzo
Registered Derp

vCash: 500
Do you guys Consider Theo Fleury & Pat Verbeek Power Forwards?

Both were vicious and physical players with great offensive abilities. But they were also both small guys. I always saw power forwards as big, strong, physical, and equally capable of playing physically, scoring goals, and and willingly engage in fights when he feels it's required The catch is both players were small guys. But i am also aware that Wendel Clark was considered a Power Forward, and he was 5'11 197, Which is why i ask, do they fit the term Power Forward?

Pat Verbeek: 5'9 190 RW
1424-522-541-1063-2905

Theoren Fleury: 5'6 182 RW
1084-455-633-1088-1840

Last edited by GreatGonzo: 12-06-2011 at 11:19 PM.
GreatGonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 11:12 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

No, I don't.

tarheelhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 11:16 PM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

In my mind, power forwards are forwards who use size and strength to create room for their offense. It's not just a tool, it defines their play. Simply being a physical player doesn't qualify you.

I would say neither.

cptjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 11:26 PM
Johnny Engine

No, and to tell you the truth even Wendel I thought of more as a skilled sniper who murdered people in his spare time. Hell, I think a guy can even be a bit on the soft side, and still be considered a power forward if the bulk of his work is done in the corners and the slot, like Wheeler or Antropov.

Johnny Engine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2011, 12:08 AM
vadim sharifijanov
#bryantreevesbad

a pesky energy guy can be a power forward, and a power forward can be a pesky energy guy (think: young neely). but not every pesky energy guy can be a power forward.

no, to me fleury and verbeek don't count. they didn't have the power. you wouldn't call brad marchand a power forward either, even though he plays a chippy and physicaly game.

wendel was small, but you can't deny he had the power. when he hit he destroyed guys.

on the other hand:

and theo was one of my favourite players of all time, by the way.

vadim sharifijanov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2011, 12:25 AM
vadim sharifijanov
#bryantreevesbad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Engine View Post
No, and to tell you the truth even Wendel I thought of more as a skilled sniper who murdered people in his spare time. Hell, I think a guy can even be a bit on the soft side, and still be considered a power forward if the bulk of his work is done in the corners and the slot, like Wheeler or Antropov.
now that i think about it, i'm not sure i'd even consider tkachuk in the second half of his career a power forward in the strict sense. i mean, would we call andreychuk or kerr power forwards? they were big strong guys who took abuse in front of the net and scored a lot of goals in the crease, but they weren't big forecheckers, and they didn't plow through guys on the rush like wendel or tocchet or neely did.

now young tkachuk, who i saw a lot of when he was in winnipeg, that was a classic power forward. hit everything that moved and hit to hurt, dropped the gloves, and put the puck in the net. nasty nasty player who made his presence felt every time he was on the ice.

vadim sharifijanov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2011, 09:44 AM
Johnny Engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by vadim sharifijanov View Post
now that i think about it, i'm not sure i'd even consider tkachuk in the second half of his career a power forward in the strict sense. i mean, would we call andreychuk or kerr power forwards? they were big strong guys who took abuse in front of the net and scored a lot of goals in the crease, but they weren't big forecheckers, and they didn't plow through guys on the rush like wendel or tocchet or neely did.

now young tkachuk, who i saw a lot of when he was in winnipeg, that was a classic power forward. hit everything that moved and hit to hurt, dropped the gloves, and put the puck in the net. nasty nasty player who made his presence felt every time he was on the ice.
"classic power forward" is an excellent way of describing someone who ticks all those boxes, but I still think the core of the term involves crease-crashing and board-battling (the latter is where guys like Kerr and Andreychuk don't quite line up)

I guess the issue I have is that if one was to get the idea that (Offensive Skill) + (Physical Intimidation) = (Power Forward), and then take it that Clark was the same sort of player as a guy like Tkachuk or Leclair, you'd completely miss what it was like to see Clark weave through the neutral zone and fire off one of those wrist shots.

Johnny Engine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2011, 10:04 AM
VanIslander
Hope for better 2015

Pests!

VanIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2011, 05:00 PM
Big Phil

Could either one of them take a toll on a player's body with their physical play? I don't think so. Fleury and Verbeek both threw their body and did it well, but they were just too small in the NHL landscape to be what I consider a power forward label

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2011, 05:03 PM
MXD

They're considered "elite grinders" in my book.

MXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2011, 10:35 PM
Jag68Sid87
Nothing Else Maattas

'Shift disturbers' with really good talent.

Jag68Sid87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2011, 10:53 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Very skilled players & effective Agitators. Drive Byes' and or In Your Face types but "Power Forwards"?. Dont think so.

Killion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2011, 01:08 PM
pdd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Engine View Post
"classic power forward" is an excellent way of describing someone who ticks all those boxes, but I still think the core of the term involves crease-crashing and board-battling (the latter is where guys like Kerr and Andreychuk don't quite line up)

I guess the issue I have is that if one was to get the idea that (Offensive Skill) + (Physical Intimidation) = (Power Forward), and then take it that Clark was the same sort of player as a guy like Tkachuk or Leclair, you'd completely miss what it was like to see Clark weave through the neutral zone and fire off one of those wrist shots.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MXD View Post
They're considered "elite grinders" in my book.
A power forward is a big, strong forward who is capable of dominating the game with his offensive presence and his physical game.

Verbeek and Fleury don't fit that definition. Clark didn't for most of his career, either.

Clark is so overrated in this thread it's sickening to read; he was a bottom-six goon with a good shot, so he was given time in the top six. Clark scored 46 goals and 76 points playing with Gilmour in 93-94. He scored 60 one other time, and never outside of that cleared 50. You know who posted similar numbers in a much lower scoring period? Eric Daze. If Clark is one of the best power forwards ever, why isn't Daze? Daze certainly had less to work with.

pdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2011, 01:58 PM
McGuillicuddy

Too small. More like 'scoring agitator forward' or something like that.

McGuillicuddy is offline   Reply With Quote