HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Canucks' annual holiday visit to B.C. Children's Hospital

Old
12-06-2011, 02:44 AM
Wetcoaster

vCash: 500
Canucks' annual holiday visit to B.C. Children's Hospital

Monday was the Canucks annual holiday visit with the kids at Children's Hospital with Fin leading the way.
Meanwhile, the day was not lost on the Sedins or anybody who has made a BC Children’s Hospital visit. Henrik and Daniel have kids of their own and have formed a strong bond with staff and patients of the facility.

“It’s not only the kids, but as a parent you realize what their parents are going through,” said Henrik. “We’ve been with families where it’s the last night that they’re going to see their kids. That’s tough to take in when you’ve got kids and it [donation] is something we wanted to do for a few years.

“The kids look up to us and for us to go there and spend a few hours, it’s special for us and hopefully special for them. We run into kids who are criticizing us as well, so it’s fun to be there.”

Kesler is also a father and has a different perspective on the annual hospital visit, but his opinion of what the Sedins have meant to the Canucks and to him on a personal basis hasn’t changed.

“They’re great guys and have always been really good to me and the community and I can’t say a bad word about them,” said Kesler. “When I see the smiles of the kids in the hospital, I get encouraged in how courageous they are and it definitely hits home.”
http://blogs.theprovince.com/2011/12...anges-in-game/

Photo Gallery:
http://www.theprovince.com/sports/Ph...721/story.html
http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/P...180/story.html

Wetcoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 02:56 AM
LiquidSnake
Agent of Chaos...

I dont think I've ever seen Kesler look like he's happy to be anywhere.

LiquidSnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2011, 04:08 AM
Wetcoaster

Video of the Canucks visit:
http://video.canucks.nhl.com/videoce...=804&id=140568

Wetcoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2011, 10:33 AM
BAuldie

Send a message via ICQ to BAuldie Send a message via MSN to BAuldie
I know a couple of families that are in there right now in those pictures.. one moreso than the other and this meant the world to the parents.

I know a lot of people expect this sort of stuff out of athletes now but they still deserve big kudos for taking time, going there and making everyone smile.

BAuldie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2011, 12:40 PM
yapperface
Bieksallent

The poor girl who only got Volpatti and Bitz

yapperface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2011, 12:49 PM
Treefingers
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quote:
Originally Posted by yapperface View Post
The poor girl who only got Volpatti and Bitz
Nah, she's in a picture with Schneids too!

Treefingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2011, 03:14 PM
grayson*

Still remember my visit there after the 94 run. So awestruck half the players asked my aunt privately what I "had" before she told them I was wasn't a patient just her nephew.

Still don't understand why people think Bure was rude or stuck up or anything.

grayson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2011, 03:28 PM
Big Time

My 4 year old son unfortunately spent nearly a month in the ICU last January at BC Children's Hospital. As a parent, it was the most emotionally difficult experience of my life. I was surrounded by other parents and children who were in a similar state of turmoil. As my son slowly came back from the brink and made his recovery, you start to see the impact organizations like the Canucks have on the kids. In the regular ward, there's an entire room of toys and books that has been funded by the Canucks. The kids worship the Canucks like heroes. For my son, collecting hockey stickers and watching Canuck and NHL highlights were all we could do to get through some long and very boring nights.

While we were there members of the Blue Jays and the Canadian Olympic team came by. The looks on the faces of the sick kids is both heartwarming and heartbreaking at the same time. Their faces light up at the site of their heroes. At the same time, you know that many of the kids may never have a chance to play hockey or live their dreams the way the players do.

The Canucks organization has always been about giving back to the community. I'm glad the players seem to recognize their role and impact they have. We sometimes get blinded by the amount of money these guys get paid. To the kids in the hospital, they don't care about any of that. To them, it's like meeting a super hero.

Big Time is offline   Reply With Quote