HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

What are my chances?

Old
12-08-2011, 08:48 AM
O2

vCash: 500
What are my chances?

So guys, I've been thinking about becoming an NHL goalie.

I have no previous experience in hockey, but I have played goalie position for the alternative winter sport "Bandy" for my national team as the starter.

Thinking about buying some pads and lacing up for my college hockeyteam, with my already near-elite reflexes I'm sure I would pick the game up quickly.

How would I quickly break out from the small scene in Norway and quickly get picked up?

Do we have the next Tim Thomas, late breakout person, in me?

O2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2011, 09:08 AM
Ozz

Shouldn't be too hard, considering all NHL goalies suck. Give it a shot and let us know next month.

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2011, 11:26 AM
jacko23
KCCO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by O2 View Post

I have no previous experience in hockey, but I have played goalie position for the alternative winter sport "Bandy" for my national team as the starter.

Thinking about buying some pads and lacing up for my college hockeyteam, with my already near-elite reflexes I'm sure I would pick the game up quickly.

How would I quickly break out from the small scene in Norway and quickly get picked up?

i would say your odds are very slim. you said you play in a small hockey scene, so your "elite" reflexes probably arent all that elite in the grand scheme of things. professional goalies have normally been playing ahd honing their skills at their position since they were young. and seeing how you are just now trying to pick up being a goalie at an age where goalies are already beginning to be scouted, id say you have quite a large learning curve ahead of you. best of luck.

jacko23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2011, 11:31 AM
Wilch
Unregistered User

You might want to consider 2nd/3rd tier leagues. If you don't know how to skate, you got a long ways ahead of you if you're thinking going professional.

Wilch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2011, 11:50 AM
r3cc0s

no problems... I just picked up skating, bought a stick and the next spring went to camp and got picked up by the Canucks...

made 25 mil over the next 4 years, and retired

r3cc0s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2011, 12:02 PM
KevFist
is best pony

You have a better chance of winning the lottery than you do becoming an NHL goalie.

That being said, don't let it discourage you from at least trying. You could probably make it to a 3rd tier league like someone else here said. Shoot for an American league like the SPHL or the CHL or the Federal League. You're not going to get rich on it, and it'll require another job in the offseason, but it's pro hockey nonetheless.

the key to remember is even the worst player in the lowest league was the best player on their amateur team somewhere. It takes a HUGE amount of dedication to get there. At least give it a shot....Never know how things might turn out.

KevFist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2011, 12:49 PM
hyster110

Quote:

hate to be an ass but people who have been playing goal all their life in competitive hockey barely have a shot an making the NHL so sorry but yours are even smaller

hyster110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2011, 04:29 PM
SauceHockey
Retired

Am I the only one that thinks the OP is lying

Last edited by SauceHockey: 12-08-2011 at 04:49 PM.
SauceHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2011, 04:43 PM
Ozz

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdwe1 View Post
Am I the only one that think the OP is lying
Nah, considering it was his first post and comes off like a total retard.

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2011, 05:48 PM
Harv
R.I.P. Pavol.

To be honest, 0%. I'd put negative percents if that made sense.

Teams want pedigree and loads of experience on top of already being an elite player. Just having fast reflexes doesn't replace 20 years of game situations.

Harv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2011, 09:35 PM
SauceHockey
Retired

If you are Hakeem the dream of hockey then you might, if not then 0%

SauceHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2011, 09:44 PM
Subnordi

Quote:

*10*

Subnordi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2011, 06:52 AM
SimonTemplar

Once the first slapshot thru a screened D hits you between the eyes, you'll be an instant star. ( or watching stars ) Just hope your first game is not against Cheechoo since he will knock your lights outs for another month.....but yeah, u have a shot.

Is there no snow to shovel in Norway in December.

SimonTemplar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2011, 08:36 AM
Fred89

Funniest post ever seen in The Rink for me

Fred89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2011, 12:53 PM
McDugan

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdwe1 View Post
Am I the only one that thinks the OP is trolling
Fixed.

McDugan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2011, 04:53 PM
SJC00

Send a message via MSN to SJC00
Well you play Bandy so you can skate. It's a very different style from Bandy to hockey. Considering the difference in the net sze. But hey if you want to do it more people need to dream big in this world. Are your chances good. No not at all. But like in dumb and dumber. "So your saying there's a chance."

SJC00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2011, 05:10 PM
tikkanen5rings*

So eh? How is Norway doing in bandy? Near elite?

tikkanen5rings* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2011, 05:10 PM
duul

vCash: 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJC00 View Post
Well you play Bandy so you can skate. It's a very different style from Bandy to hockey. Considering the difference in the net sze. But hey if you want to do it more people need to dream big in this world. Are your chances good. No not at all. But like in dumb and dumber. "So your saying there's a chance."
Hahaha, great movie.

But yeah, there's barely any chance of this happening, especially just starting at your age. You mention Tim Thomas, but he still played professional hockey for years before he made it to the NHL. At least let us know when you make a junior team or something. Even then,

duul is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2011, 05:16 PM
SJC00

Send a message via MSN to SJC00
Rough Bandy world rankings
1. Russia
2. Sweden
3. Finland
4. Kazakstan
5. Norway
6. USA
7. Belarus
8. Canada .

After that its a mess of countries. I'm not saying this guy is going pro right away. But to be the goalie on his national bandy team the guy probably has more than average athletic ability.

SJC00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2011, 05:54 PM
SmellOfVictory

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BroFist View Post
You have a better chance of winning the lottery than you do becoming an NHL goalie.
I don't know about that. Odds of winning the 6/49 jackpot are about 1:14 million. If we look at the NHL, there are 60 positions available (starters/backups) in a given season, and a relatively small population of serious hockey goaltenders (that is, kids in Junior, college, minor pro, and pro). Let's just assume there are ten thousand teams that are not the NHL, each with two goaltenders; if we do not know the individual ability of any of the players (as with this guy), then the odds are 60:20 000 if he's on his college team. Much better odds than those of winning the lottery.

SmellOfVictory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2011, 12:45 AM
jwitz04

no. your chances are zero. if you knew anything about hockey you would know that.

jwitz04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2011, 02:00 PM
Crosbyfan

They are above zero, if you really want to try.

Just don't quit your day job and/or stay in school.

Crosbyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 03:33 AM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJC00 View Post
Rough Bandy world rankings
1. Russia
2. Sweden
3. Finland
4. Kazakstan
5. Norway
6. USA
7. Belarus
8. Canada .

After that its a mess of countries. I'm not saying this guy is going pro right away. But to be the goalie on his national bandy team the guy probably has more than average athletic ability.
Yup, and he probably has a pretty good idea about angles and can track shots.

If he wants to take up hockey, it's worth a try. But it's up to well how well his skills translate, and the odds are long.

OP, your best advice is, once you've learned the position with amateur leagues, to try out for one of the Euro leagues that has multiple tiers within the same organization. If you're good enough, you'll work your way up within that team, and there will be NHL scouts watching, since the lower levels often have up and coming youth.

Your chances aren't good. But depending on your age and skillset, it is possible. There are guys in the NHL now who never played on ice until their teens, having only played roller hockey. I forget who it is, but some commentator was talking recently about a player who had never even played hockey until he was 13 or something like that. Not a scrub either.

But those stories are really few and far between. But if you're already a high level athlete, it's not inconceivable.

cptjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 03:47 AM
Kulluminati

Bandy is pretty different from ice hockey, more like field hockey on ice than anything. Seeing as the OP is his national teams goalie, he probably has good athletic ability, but I'm not sure how well his skills would translate into hockey. Not sure where you should start maybe in some lower tier European league and work your way up. Chances are very slim though.

Kulluminati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 09:22 AM
Guffaw

Stop replying to this BS. Delete this thread and stop wasting people's time.

Guffaw is offline   Reply With Quote