HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Is the Gangsta' pouting over Jagr?

Old
12-08-2011, 02:28 PM
Teufelsdreck

vCash: 500
My smoldering discontent is not directed at Tomas Plekanec, whose stats are slightly off, when I see players who can't come close to meeting my already low expectations of them. I wish they were playing in Alaska or Switzerland.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2011, 02:39 PM
NotProkofievian

Mmmm no. I don't think he's been playing that poorly. He's been on a bit of a cold streak lately, but so has the entire team. I also think he's a big boy and able to deal with Jagr making his own decisions.

However, I do fault our management for not landing Jagr, as much as I fault our scouting for not picking Giroux. Philly was more cap-****ed that we were, or are. Aren't we like 3 million or so under the cap as it is, with Cole? It's not a monumental task to free up some cap space for Jagr. PG just didn't think it would be worth it.

He was wrong.

NotProkofievian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2011, 02:40 PM
LyleOdelein

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gros Bill View Post
Eg: Wife having baby.
Give the man a prize! That's exactly what I was getting at.

I haven't noticed any real change in Pleks' play or focus this year over last, but if he did look like his mind was elsewhere on occasion, I could understand why, given his circumstances.

LyleOdelein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2011, 02:52 PM
llamateizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotProkofievian View Post
Mmmm no. I don't think he's been playing that poorly. He's been on a bit of a cold streak lately, but so has the entire team. I also think he's a big boy and able to deal with Jagr making his own decisions.

However, I do fault our management for not landing Jagr, as much as I fault our scouting for not picking Giroux. Philly was more cap-****ed that we were, or are. Aren't we like 3 million or so under the cap as it is, with Cole? It's not a monumental task to free up some cap space for Jagr. PG just didn't think it would be worth it.

He was wrong.
I do fault our management for not landing Crosby, Stamkos, RNH, Malkin and Ovechkin

llamateizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2011, 03:00 PM
NotProkofievian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chewBACHa View Post
I do fault our management for not landing Crosby, Stamkos, RNH, Malkin and Ovechkin
Lol histrionics always bring something to the conversation.

The difference is we actually had the opportunity to get both Giroux and Jagr. Evidence suggests that timmins even wanted Giroux but failed to 'go with his gut.'

In the case of Jagr, we got outbid, plain and simple.

So, your problem is what, exactly?

Last edited by NotProkofievian: 12-08-2011 at 03:06 PM.
Old
12-08-2011, 03:05 PM
Megaforce

Thanks for the excellent replies. It took a bit of cajoling but yeah you guys came through with some food for thought.

I can only dream of the chemistry that Plex and Jagr would had had together on this team, I think they would have been rackin 'em up, as they were doing on their national team together. I wouldn't blame Plex for being discouraged cuz of that (and possibly Hamrlik as well).

I used to think the Montreal HF Board was tops, w/ a good mix of excellent analysis and a lot of funny quips (that's why I donated, hint hint).

But recently - as can be seen frequently in this very thread - it seems to have descended into a witless and mean spirited "he/she/it is an idiot" sort of pleasure-less terrain, somewhat like the Ottawa Senator boards.

So yeah, try to remember what your mom taught you about manners guys. And to those who pitched in with some great comments, many thanks for your ideas.

Megaforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2011, 03:18 PM
bcv
My french sucks.

What's up with the conspiracy threads?

bcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2011, 03:22 PM
PricePkPatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcv View Post
What's up with the conspiracy threads?
Just people who like to stir controversy. Kind of a subtle troll.

PricePkPatch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2011, 03:39 PM
llamateizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotProkofievian View Post
Lol histrionics always bring something to the conversation.

The difference is we actually had the opportunity to get both Giroux and Jagr. Evidence suggests that timmins even wanted Giroux but failed to 'go with his gut.'

In the case of Jagr, we got outbid, plain and simple.

So, your problem is what, exactly?
The Flyers wanted to draft bobby Sanguinetti but the rangers selected 1 pick before.
Its easy to complain against those thing 5 years later

As for Jagr, Why would he sign with the habs?
He knows how the media treat the players... Maybe he didnt wanted to get all this attention. You cant put the fault to the organisation for not landing a player.

llamateizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2011, 04:03 PM
NotProkofievian

Quote:
The Flyers wanted to draft bobby Sanguinetti but the rangers selected 1 pick before.
Its easy to complain against those thing 5 years later
I'm not getting what you're arguing here? Are you trying to say that the Fischer pick was defensible?

The fact that Timmins is in fact a good head scout does not mean that he is above criticism. The david fischer pick is an albatross and a blotch on his record. To suggest there is no fault in that pick is just silly.

We need impact offensive players, and unfortunately, it does not seem like Timmins is that great at finding them.

Quote:
As for Jagr, Why would he sign with the habs?
He knows how the media treat the players... Maybe he didnt wanted to get all this attention. You cant put the fault to the organisation for not landing a player.
Then why would anyone sign here? The answer is, with all things money and contract related, incentive. The basic fact of this is that it is obvious that PG "tried" to sign him, and we got outbid. There was a price to have Jagr, and PG decided that he wasn't worth it. How would you like to pay 4.5+ for another PPG forward(thusfar anyways)?

I can think of worse contracts on our books. PG made a judgement call, and it seems to have been incorrect.

Old
12-08-2011, 04:38 PM
Megaforce

Firstly shame on you PricePkPatch for being generally unpleasant and relying on weak ad hominen insults, I had thought better of you.

And how is it that there seems to be collective amnesia here about the entire let's-sign-Jagr thing that happened over the summer?

I seem to recall a lot of people saying that Jagr was keen on signing here.

I don't have any particular inside knowledge but I work in a newsroom with professional sports reporters, so perhaps I heard it there and am pretty sure that Jagr was ours for the taking.

Old
12-08-2011, 04:45 PM
PricePkPatch

You are making rather phony argument taken from speculations and rumors.

Just bringing the argument that is was apparently reported that "Jagr wanted to sign with us" is just further proof you are grasping at straws. We don't know what happened behind the closed doors, except that Jagr picked Philly in the end.

You make assumption about our management's effort to sign Jagr, about Jagr's desire to play here, about Plek's desire to play with Jagr and the reasons Plek didn't played on par with previous seasons.

That's more than 3 strikes, get out of here.

PricePkPatch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2011, 04:52 PM
karatekid

Timeout. When and how did Pleks get the nickname, the gangsta?

karatekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2011, 04:56 PM
NotProkofievian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karatekid View Post
Timeout. When and how did Pleks get the nickname, the gangsta?
Sometime before the ATM line was introduced. That, combined with the Gangsta Thug-laif Pleks meme produced one of the greatest gifs ever, with AK balancing a brick of cash on his head, Pleks making it rain, and Cammi showin tha blang.

Old
12-08-2011, 04:59 PM
Et le But

Pleks hasn't been great lately but he's having to put in a lot of defensive work and support less than consistent wingers who aren't helping him at all. He's been off a little but he's still our only consistently good forward 90% of the time.

Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2011, 05:15 PM
Megaforce

Plex has been better than the real disappointments: Cammalleri and Gionta... and obviously Gomez... so it's hard to be particularly disappointed in his play but nonetheless he should have more than six goals, I'd love to see him outdo his 29 goal season but he's not even projected to get 20.

Skating, penalty killing and all that other stuff he does is very good but he's got to score some goals, especially since so many others are not.

Old
12-08-2011, 05:33 PM
Megaforce

Jagr's agent Petry Svoboda played for, and still lives in Montreal.

Along with Hamrlik and Plekanec, the Czech triumverate would have been an interesting possibility.

We were universally projected to be on Jagr's shortlist.

“Montreal and Canada, it’s totally different hockey,” Jagr told Dan Barnes of the Edmonton Journal. “The fans are crazy about hockey and I’ve never played in Canada in my life. You never know.”

You could imagine that Plek was salivating at the possibilities, especially since he had just played alongside Jagr this spring and they had great chemistry.

We elected to re-sign Markov instead.

Last edited by Megaforce: 12-08-2011 at 05:56 PM.
Old
12-08-2011, 05:39 PM
Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megaforce View Post

I used to think the Montreal HF Board was tops, w/ a good mix of excellent analysis and a lot of funny quips (that's why I donated, hint hint).
It never was like this, just a gathering place for knuckle-heads since I have been here, and I'm proud to be a king knuckle-head.

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2011, 05:57 PM
SAKS AVENUE

.... Montreal needs to get Selanne in a Habs Jersey to play with Koivu. That would be AMAZING. Koivu would be a 90 point player. Bla bla bla

SAKS AVENUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2011, 06:07 PM
Megaforce

Good point, I wonder if Koivu wasn't disappointed that the Habs never got Selanne or other Finns during his time here. But didn't Koivu persuade us to get some young Finnish kid in his last year here - a guy that didn't pan out ultimately?

I'm sure players constantly lobby management to get their pals or compatriots on the team.

Old
12-08-2011, 06:46 PM
Et le But

I'd still take Teemu on the Habs.

Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2011, 09:30 PM
Vsevolod Bobrov
Burn the boats !

This thread sucks compared to the Price undiagnosed concussion.

Vsevolod Bobrov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2011, 10:04 PM
JohnnyB11

OP you talk alot about Plekanec's projections, but you do know that hockey players do not tend to score in a linear fashion throughout the entire season, right? Forget about the fact that Plex leads the team in points right now. Consider that based on production to date, Travis Moen is projected to score 23 goals. Think that's gonna happen? Probably not, right? But if not, why not? Is he also upset the Habs didn't sign/acquire someone?

If I was Tomas Plekanec I'd just have to , thinking this tripe comes from a so-called fan.

JohnnyB11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2011, 12:18 AM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

yes.

you are completely right, he is pouting over jagr. it's too bad that he just remembered 5 games ago that jagr didn't sign here otherwise he would have had a really bad start

Last edited by MasterDecoy: 12-09-2011 at 12:45 AM.
MasterDecoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2011, 08:55 AM
beowulf
Not a nice guy.

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megaforce View Post
No. But I can tell some jokes later if you like.

Plex was disappointed by the Jagr decision. No secret there.

He might've suffered a little demotivation as a result of that disappointment.
How was he disappointed to the point of taking a hissy fit and not play well. Your hypothesis makes no sense.

beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote