HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

Has this team quit on Ruff?

View Poll Results: Have the Sabres quit on Ruff?
Yes 19 33.93%
No 37 66.07%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Old
12-08-2011, 02:27 PM
sba

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to sba
Quit, no.

Stale message, for sure.

I think guys like Roy, Stafford, Vanek, Poms have been around him so long that they know what they can and can't get away with without losing ice time or PP time or whatever.

Just too much complacency. In 05-06 most of that group (not Stafford) forced themselves onto that team. Be it getting called up and playing too well to be sent back or just with effort. And vets got sat in order to give them time. Being up against the cap doesn't help that, because we don't have the luxury to keep an extra body or to around to push for spots.

sba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2011, 03:30 PM
Zip15

vCash: 50
Quitting is what the Caps did on those consecutive Saturday nights against the Leafs and Sabres. I don't think we've come close to that yet. I agree with the sentiment that things are stale, though. It stings that we had an ideal next coach in our organization and we let him get away. Ruff would be employed very quickly--I'd bet before the end of the season--but the Sabres need a change.

Zip15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2011, 03:43 PM
aceface33

Why would they choose to quit after going up 3-0 in a game? To really make a point? I don't buy it. I just don't think they have the talent to keep up with Philly.

aceface33 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2011, 03:45 PM
drinking bleach irl
p trendy tbh

vCash: 300
What's the Vanek-Ruff story? I missed it.

drinking bleach irl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2011, 03:55 PM
Zip15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Ellis Problems View Post
What's the Vanek-Ruff story? I missed it.
Per Pierre, Ruff and Vanek were talking on the bench and Ruff yelled at Vanek to look him in the eye when he (Vanek) was talking to him (Ruff). I was shocked that more people didn't make a very big deal of it last night, but we were winning at the time, so it may have been passed over.

Old
12-08-2011, 04:18 PM
JPurp26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
Per Pierre, Ruff and Vanek were talking on the bench and Ruff yelled at Vanek to look him in the eye when he (Vanek) was talking to him (Ruff). I was shocked that more people didn't make a very big deal of it last night, but we were winning at the time, so it may have been passed over.
I missed that as well. Interesting

JPurp26 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2011, 04:19 PM
punkr0x

By all accounts the Caps "quit" on Boudreau yet they're 2-3 under Hunter (with both wins coming over the Senators). I think it's really hard to say when you're not in the locker room whether the players have quit or whether the coach is just not sending the right message.

punkr0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2011, 04:20 PM
Buffalo87
thehosers dot com

Quote:
Originally Posted by punkr0x View Post
By all accounts the Caps "quit" on Boudreau yet they're 2-3 under Hunter (with both wins coming over the Senators). I think it's really hard to say when you're not in the locker room whether the players have quit or whether the coach is just not sending the right message.
Did you see any of their games before Boudreau was shown the door? It was pathetic.

Granted I've only seen a couple of periods since Hunter took over and though they don't look a whole lot better, there is a difference.

Buffalo87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2011, 04:22 PM
drinking bleach irl
p trendy tbh

vCash: 300
Quote:
That sounds pretty petty. Eesh.

drinking bleach irl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2011, 04:29 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Send a message via Yahoo to Jame
Quote:
I heard it... didn't make much of it since I thought everyone recognized that Ruff was a ****** bag

How do you slap a letter on a guy, and then treat him like a child on the bench....

Jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2011, 05:07 PM
Zip15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
I heard it... didn't make much of it since I thought everyone recognized that Ruff was a ****** bag

How do you slap a letter on a guy, and then treat him like a child on the bench....

Between last night and the handshake comment at the captaincy meeting, it's fair to say they have an...odd relationship.

Old
12-08-2011, 06:14 PM
CrankyJay

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
I don't know but Pegula/Black haven't as per Black on WGR this morning.
That was certainly an interesting convo. I'm glad Howard Simon stood up to Ted and said it WAS NOT a moot question.

CrankyJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2011, 07:34 PM
WhoIsJimBob
Suffering

Quote:
Between last night and the handshake comment at the captaincy meeting, it's fair to say they have an...odd relationship.
Did Vanek call Ruff a Slim F&*^, perhaps?

WhoIsJimBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2011, 09:22 PM
Buffalo87
thehosers dot com

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrankyJay View Post
That was certainly an interesting convo. I'm glad Howard Simon stood up to Ted and said it WAS NOT a moot question.
I thought Black seemed oddly hesitent with pretty much every answer he gave. Not to say there is anything going on behind the scenes that he can't make public, but it seemed pretty odd for a usually pretty charasmatic well spoken guy.

Buffalo87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2011, 10:34 PM
liquid swords
bring the ruckus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
How does any of what is on this page about respect or tenure have to do with the thread at hand regarding whether the team has tuned Ruff out?

Get back on track people.
because i don't think the team has tuned ruff out. ruff is a great coach. ruff is not the problem here. the "core" which regier refuses to move on from is the problem. this really shouldn't be news to any of us here. i have had conversations with several sabres alumni who lament not just the softness of the team, but their impression that most of the team does not care about winning. you will never win a stanley cup with a group of guys that don't want to play to win, but are content to play well enough to earn a fat paycheck. this team is full of players of that ilk.

firing ruff just to send a message or to try to wake the team up would be a big mistake, imo. you want to shake up the team? make a trade. this wave of prospects has made players expendable. move someone who is underperforming but largely viewed as a part of the "core" and not going to be moved. stafford, roy, ennis, etc.

the problem with this team is the players on the team, not the coach. scotty bowman couldn't take this team to the cup, because (and i know i am going to catch heat for this, and people are going to disagree) this sabres team is simply not that good. we have an underperforming prima donna as a starting goaltender, and an offense whose toughest customer is what, 20 years old? this team needs a roster shake up, not a new coach.

you can't blame a lack of heart or passion for the game, or the will to win on the coach. no coach is going to convince a player to put his body through a wall for the cup. either the player wants it that bad or he doesn't. this team is full of players who don't want it that bad.

liquid swords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2011, 10:36 PM
liquid swords
bring the ruckus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalo87 View Post
I thought Black seemed oddly hesitent with pretty much every answer he gave. Not to say there is anything going on behind the scenes that he can't make public, but it seemed pretty odd for a usually pretty charasmatic well spoken guy.
his reasoning made a lot of sense. the way he fielded the questions on coaching/GM and his follow up answer which more or less hinted they are waiting for a trade to materialize was very telling. the more time the new regime has to look over the roster and assess on ice performance, i think we will see more pressure for roster changes. this team is too vanilla.

Old
12-08-2011, 10:38 PM
DJN21

tough call...

Ruff makes horrible choices at times i.e Gragnani nonstop, shuffling lines every 42 seconds etc

The core has failed to win...this is a tough pill to swallow cuz I love vanek n poms, miller n roy meh...one could argue that we need to take a page outta phillys playbook n tear it down when it fails, they didnt hesitate to trade carter n richards and boom 1st place already this year...

idk man

DJN21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2011, 10:43 PM
liquid swords
bring the ruckus

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJN21 View Post
tough call...

Ruff makes horrible choices at times i.e Gragnani nonstop, shuffling lines every 42 seconds etc

The core has failed to win...this is a tough pill to swallow cuz I love vanek n poms, miller n roy meh...one could argue that we need to take a page outta phillys playbook n tear it down when it fails, they didnt hesitate to trade carter n richards and boom 1st place already this year...

idk man
THIS. the team hasn't "tuned out ruff." they have always been too busy with "extracurricular" activities for a long time. this team needs a culture change, and it starts with shipping the party boys out. getting rid of connolly was a start, but we still have guys on the team who are out on chippewa until the wee hours of the morning almost every night they are in town, including nights before gamedays... as much as people here want to believe that this isn't an issue, and that players personal lives don't affect on ice performance.. well... i disagree.

Old
12-08-2011, 10:47 PM
Buffaloed
Administrator
Webmaster

I don't think they've quit on Ruff at all. I think he wants this team to play the same system they successfully employed coming out of the lockout and and they haven't shown the ability to play it. They don't read the play well enough to make good passes. They don't show good judgement on whether to try to make a play in the neutral zone or dump it in. The dmen have the green light to carry the puck deep so the forwards have to be aware of where they are at all times. They're doing a poor job of sliding into each other's positions. It's a difficult system to play, but it's a thing of beauty when it works. Right now it seems to be mentally tying them in knots. I think Ruff will keep at it, but at some point he may tighten the reigns and simplify things like he did in the Caps game. All they did in that game was play simple man to man defense. Ruff's system is fun to play in when it's working.

Buffaloed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2011, 10:49 PM
slip

Another thing to consider is the loss of Grier, Montador and Rivet as far as leadership in the locker room is concerned. I know things like that (leadership) are hard to quantify, and I clearly have very little insight into what actually takes place behind closed doors, but it's easy to see this crew lacks focus on most nights. Too many generals (guys making things happen on their own) and not enough soldiers working toward a collective goal.

slip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2011, 11:18 PM
Slapshot85

Quote:
Originally Posted by omglolnub View Post
Ruff's tenure is like any smart employee, does enough to not get fired. The artful dodger.
Ruff's tenure is tied to Darcy's tenure.

Slapshot85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2011, 11:22 PM
liquid swords
bring the ruckus

the team really lacks an identity right now. in another thread i mentioned that i thought the team has a very fragile psyche right now. there are many reasons for this -- the injuries, lucic on miller and the team's response, poor performance at home, etc. watching them you get the sense that they don't really know who or what they are, and for long stretches of games out there they look like passengers along for the ride in games. i wouldn't be surprised if a trade is made in the (hopefully) near future. if anything these injuries has showed us that our current crop of prospects are ready to step in and contribute in big ways. tropp, kassian, even mcnabb to an extent have impressed.

gragnani on the other hand..

Old
12-09-2011, 03:49 AM
jflory81
Irken Elite

Send a message via AIM to jflory81
No, but I've about quit on these boards.

jflory81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2011, 04:31 AM
brian_griffin
Measured Intangibles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitzo4221 View Post
Make a trade if that doesn't work hire Carlyle. He's done what Ruff hasn't, won a cup.
FYI (trivia), I remember when Carlyle played. I have his card. He also won a Norris.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post

If the player on the bench is behaving / speaking / talking back like he himself (Vanek) isn't wearing a letter and leading by example... Cuts both ways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by liquid swords View Post
the team really lacks an identity right now. in another thread i mentioned that i thought the team has a very fragile psyche right now. there are many reasons for this -- the injuries, lucic on miller and the team's response, poor performance at home, etc. watching them you get the sense that they don't really know who or what they are, and for long stretches of games out there they look like passengers along for the ride in games. i wouldn't be surprised if a trade is made in the (hopefully) near future. if anything these injuries has showed us that our current crop of prospects are ready to step in and contribute in big ways. tropp, kassian, even mcnabb to an extent have impressed.

gragnani on the other hand..
Agree with the bolded, the post, and the prior 2 liquid swords posts before this one. Pretty sure I saw McNabb in the OT against PHI - yes, I know the Sabres were playing 3 rookies on D that night. Tropp and Kassian bring size all the time; wheras Stafford, Adam, Gaustad don't always use theirs. I saw Kassian get bowled over by a very solid check at the half-wall on the far boards, get up and keep going. IMO, that check would have sent a couple other Sabres to the bench for an early shift change.

What's baffling is 3/4 of this roster (counting the injured players) are the same team who made the Christmas-to-April push last year. They did not quit on Ruff... but...

Who hates losing on this team? Miller? He seems far less fiery than years past...

I'd be interested in Regher's view, not that it's likely he'd speak publicly and frankly. He's been on some good and bad teams.

brian_griffin is offline   Reply With Quote