HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2011-2012 NBA Thread

Closed Thread

Old
12-08-2011, 04:59 PM
Blatant
Formerly NYRFan1823

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
The problem becomes, who guards the likes of Wade/Rose when they inevitably meet in the playoffs.
Shumpert.

Old
12-08-2011, 05:00 PM
17futurecap

Read Baron Davis could be an option when the Cavs amnesty him. Pretty pumped to have a legitimate big man, to go along with Stat and Melo.

Old
12-08-2011, 05:38 PM
SRTtoZ

Please tell me there is more logic here than on the RealGM forums. I love this move! Its much much easier to find a capable PG than it is to find a BIG time Center.

Old
12-08-2011, 05:42 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRTtoZ View Post
Please tell me there is more logic here than on the RealGM forums. I love this move! Its much much easier to find a capable PG than it is to find a BIG time Center.
They needed both. I am happy with the Chandler signing. Hopefully it means they can not spend all of their money on him (ala Howard) and use some more money on whoever they can find at PG. The Knicks need their Rondo.

Hopefully TG can have a good season as he is a good defensive presence as well.

It also helps keep STAT healthy which is no small thing.

Old
12-08-2011, 06:20 PM
nyranger61494
YNWA

Quote:
@WojYahooNBA
Adrian Wojnarowski
Hornets working to finalize details on 3-team deal to send Chris Paul to Lakers, Gasol to Rockets and Odom, KMart, Scola to NO, sources say.
Chris Paul to Lakers for Gasol and Odom. Per Yahoo.

Do NOT want Baron Davis. Great job by Knicks front office to get Chandler. Had to know Paul was going somewhere and probably off the market in the summer.

Last edited by nyranger61494: 12-08-2011 at 06:25 PM.
Old
12-08-2011, 06:52 PM
BroadwayBlues
oxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxo

Watch the Lakers get Howard now.

That team gets everyone.

Old
12-08-2011, 07:08 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 145
Awards:
Do they have the assets to get Howard? With Odom and Gasol gone in one deal, that leaves what, Bynum? With his injuries I don't know that he'll have enough value to be the centerpiece of a deal for Howard.

Old
12-08-2011, 07:11 PM
nyranger61494
YNWA

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
Do they have the assets to get Howard? With Odom and Gasol gone in one deal, that leaves what, Bynum? With his injuries I don't know that he'll have enough value to be the centerpiece of a deal for Howard.
Probably not in my opinion. Interestingly, some think that package could have fetched Howard and should have gotten him and not Paul.

Old
12-08-2011, 07:24 PM
h0ckeyman

Any word if a contract extension was part of the Paul deal?

Old
12-08-2011, 07:33 PM
BroadwayBlues
oxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxo

All they have to do is trade Bynum and future picks.

Howard can also force his way out of Orlando if he wants to.

Old
12-08-2011, 07:47 PM
rangers4ever2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadwayBlues View Post
All they have to do is trade Bynum and future picks.

Howard can also force his way out of Orlando if he wants to.
it all depends where howard wants to go. if he's set on LA, then that's where he'll probably wind up. if he doesn't care, the nets can offer lopez with the abilities of offering more first rounders to the magic. i think they can also take arenas and his awful contract off orlando's hands as well.

Old
12-08-2011, 08:52 PM
Vitto79

yea Knicks must of known Paul was going to LA so good deal on Chandler and I am sure they have an idea of a PG

Old
12-08-2011, 09:01 PM
BroadwayBlues
oxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxo

Paul to Lakers deal nixed.

WojYahooNBA: Owners were irate in Board of Governors meeting with Stern, livid that the league-owned Hornets were allowed to make Paul deal, sources say.

WojYahooNBA Adrian Wojnarowski
NBA owners have pushed commissioner David Stern to kill the deal sending Chris Paul to the Los Angeles Lakers, sources tell Y! Sports.

If true. Thank god.

Old
12-08-2011, 09:14 PM
NYR Viper

Well it's either going to be Howard or Paul going to LA. Which would everyone prefer?

Old
12-08-2011, 09:21 PM
BroadwayBlues
oxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxo

If they get one fine.

No one wants to see them get BOTH.

If this trade happened, it was all lined up for them to end up with both.

Old
12-08-2011, 09:57 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

NBA owners have told David Stern to kill the CP3 deal to LA. The deal is off.

Old
12-08-2011, 10:00 PM
nyranger61494
YNWA

NBA is such a joke. Lockout not going to save owners from themselves it seems. Nixing this deal is amateur hour even it give Knicks fans a sliver of hope he will come next summer.

Old
12-08-2011, 10:47 PM
Tony D63
Tortsless Rangers

Lakers=Mad.

Old
12-08-2011, 10:51 PM
Tony D63
Tortsless Rangers

Wow the NBA Forums are over loaded I cant even load into the site ):

Old
12-08-2011, 11:40 PM
Stugots
Kolo, Kolo Kolo!

Haha, screw the Lakers. If they got CP3 in a trade, there is little doubt in my mind that Dwight Howard would not sign there as a free agent next summer. Howard, CP3, Kobe? They would 3peat again. So screw them I'm glad they didn't get CP3.

Old
12-08-2011, 11:45 PM
BroadwayBlues
oxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxo

sheridanhoops Chris Sheridan
I'm told there is a school of thought in informed circles that Stern vetoed C.Paul trade because a D.Howard-to-LA trade was coming up next.

My thinking exactly....

Old
12-09-2011, 12:08 AM
IBleedNYRBlue

Im not sure what I think about this Chandler signing.

I think he's been very overrated and living off of his championship run with Dallas. He's been average besides that. I guess this is a risk you have to do, if you know CP3 isn't coming, so I guess I like it. Now, they have to get Baron Davis, not happy with TD runnning the show.

Old
12-09-2011, 01:54 AM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by RL605 View Post
Im not sure what I think about this Chandler signing.

I think he's been very overrated and living off of his championship run with Dallas. He's been average besides that. I guess this is a risk you have to do, if you know CP3 isn't coming, so I guess I like it. Now, they have to get Baron Davis, not happy with TD runnning the show.
Average? In what regard? His strengths are rebounding and defense, and he's well above average in both categories. His career started off slow because he shouldn't have been in the NBA straight out of high school. He took time to develop, but he was pretty solid with the Hornets, although playing with Paul helps. He was a big reason the Mavericks were so good last year, because he's extremely athletic, a huge advantage down low.

Where I also disagree, however, is that they should probably have less reason to do it if Paul isn't coming. Not because Chandler isn't good or doesn't address their needs (he is and he does), but he's a pretty expensive way of filling those needs. If they don't get Paul, they still need a PG. Baron Davis is certainly talented enough, but dedication has never been his strong suit. Then again, he'd fit right in with Melodrama. Stoudemire isn't exactly the most dedicated player when it comes to rebounding or defense, either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stugots View Post
Uh, have you seen the teams Iverson played on during his prime in Philly? Outside of him, everybody else was complete garbage. Him and Larry Brown single handedly lead that team to the finals and multiple other playoff appearances. Yeah, I get it, he had a bad attitude. But the fact that he never won could be attributed to the awful teams he played on in his prime.
Uh, have you seen the teams Iverson played against during his prime? The Sixers were not a great team, no doubt. But to say everyone other than Iverson was garbage is quite misleading.

The Sixers went to the Finals in one of the worst NBA seasons of all-time, where the Eastern Conference was probably as weak as it ever was, and the one team that was clearly the best in the East (Miami) was missing its best player, Alonzo Mourning, for virtually the entire season. Same goes for Orlando, who probably would have been much better if Grant Hill didn't miss all but 4 or 5 games. With Zo out for most of the season due to kidney disease (and playing at a far lower standard in his brief playoff return), the Sixers' Dikembe Mutumbo (who played in every playoff game and the end of the regular season after they acquired him at the trade deadline) was effectively the best center in the Eastern Conference. The competition was a joke. Antonio Davis, Marcus Camby, Elden Campbell. Mutumbo was the best center in the Eastern Conference in the playoffs.

The Sixers won mainly with defense and rebounding, and Mutumbo ranks among the league's best ever in both categories. Tyrone Hill is one of the better rebounding power forwards of all-time (a Charles Oakley-lite), and at that point in his career, Theo Ratliff was one of the best rebounders and defensive forwards in the NBA. Their team was putrid offensively, but then again, Iverson was a tremendous ballhog who threw up 25-30 shots a game (the only player to average double digit shot attempts per game on the team that season). Defense and rebounding is why they won. That Bucks team they beat had one of the worst groups of power forwards and centers in the league. They were decimated by Mutumbo, who averaged over 13 rebounds a game in the Eastern Conference Finals (when Iverson shot 38% from the field). The fact that he led a garbage team to the Finals is impressive until you remember that all he had to do was beat a bunch of other garbage eams.

It's not really about his attitude (although players like Michael Jordan and Kobe Bryant have quite a different attitude than Iverson does when it comes to practice...as in, they practice their ass off). Allen Iverson is one of the most inefficient and overrated players in NBA history because of the way he played. It's a team sport, a concept that players like Iverson (and he was the epitome of them) don't appreciate. He played during one of the worst periods in NBA history in terms of quality and style of play, and he was the epitome of both of those things, too. The fact that he never won a championship has just as much to do with the type of player he was as it does with the quality of the players around him. I'll never forget how every talking head in the media immediately proclaimed the Nuggets to be title contenders once they acquired Iverson. All except Charles Barkley that is, who intelligently pointed out that the Nuggets had just paired two of the biggest ballhogs ever together on one team, and that not only were they not a contender, but the Sixers had probably won the deal. Of course, he was right. That Nuggets team did nothing.

If there is a player in this league that is reminiscent of Iverson, it's Anthony, and for all the wrong reasons.

Last edited by NYR Sting: 12-09-2011 at 02:00 AM.
Old
12-09-2011, 02:01 AM
NYRFAN218
Mac Truck

As someone who doesn't follow the NBA closely (will only watch some Knick games here or there) and doesn't know much about the new CBA or how trades work, the owners of different teams told Stern to kill the trade because they were afraid of the Lakers being too good?

12-09-2011, 03:14 AM
Forever Blue

Less than 24 hours ago, Lakers fans thought they were getting Paul and Howard. Now it looks like they're getting neither.

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nba/stor...medium=twitter

Closed Thread