HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Robert Gherson

Closed Thread

Old
11-30-2005, 12:34 AM
Sicilian

vCash: 500
Robert Gherson

who is robert gherson and when did we get him? the name sounds vaguely familiar but i can't remember how he came to be on the wolfpack this year. seems to be doing pretty well in the few games he's played though. anyone know anything about him?

Old
11-30-2005, 01:06 AM
eco's bones

Can only tell you so much Sicilian. I believe he was in the OHL last year. He was at our rookie training camp as a tryout. He is not signed as far as I know by the Rangers although I can't say for sure if Hartford has signed him to an AHL contract.

Old
11-30-2005, 01:18 AM
Brooklyn Ranger

Thank fish for the link

I found this over at outsidethegarden.com

http://www.zwire.com/site/news.cfm?n...d=161561&rfi=6

He's currently on a tryout agreement with Hartford.

Old
11-30-2005, 08:38 AM
Melrose_Jr.

Good link Brook.

What happens to Gherson when Montoya returns? Will the 'Pack just let his TO contract expire? Hate to see Bruckler stick and Gherson walk with the way he's playing now.

Old
11-30-2005, 11:05 AM
bmoak

Robert Gherson(Manitoba stats are incorrect) has a little more seasoning because he's a 2nd year pro, having played for 45 games in the UHL for the Quad-City Mallards last year. He's a 5th round draft pick who was not signed by the Caps, but has put up better numbers in the minors than he ever did in junior.

As for the goalie situation, it gets complicated once Weekes and Montoya are back.

Lundqvist, Weekes, Montoya, and Holt are under contract to the Rangers.
Bruckler has an ECHL contract with the Checkers. When he was called up, he signed with Hartford. Not sure what kind of deal he signed (not a 10-day PTO), but the standard is a one-year agreement.

Charlotte's goaltending situation has been muddled. They started the year with no goalies assigned by the Rangers/Pack, Bernd Bruckler as their own signee, and Jeff Glass assigned from Ottawa/Binghamton (last year and this year it's been a shared affiliation, tho the Sens have only assigned 1 player (a goalie) each season.)) However, Bruckler was brought up to Hartford when Montoya was injured. Glass was recalled to Binghamton when Billy Thompson went down with a groin imjury. Holt was assigned to Charlotte, but soon recalled to New York to backup Lundqvist while Weekes heals (at least he is getting time with Allaire). Right now, the Checkers are using Pat Berrigan, veteran of Dalhousie U. (Canada) and a few SPHL games.

If the Pack sign Gherson, he will have to stay in Hartford for the year. He has an ECHL contract with the Columbia Inferno, so he can't be assigned to Charlotte. I suppose we could send him beack to Columbia with a Hartford contrract and recall him as needed.

Old
11-30-2005, 06:28 PM
DarthSather99

Can't we lend another organization a goaltender? Weren't the Wolfpack lent a player from the Islanders last year?

Old
11-30-2005, 07:54 PM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthSather99
Can't we lend another organization a goaltender? Weren't the Wolfpack lent a player from the Islanders last year?

Jeff Hamilton signed an AHL deal with the Pack when he could not agree to terms with the Islanders.

Old
11-30-2005, 07:55 PM
bmoak

Jeff Hamilton wasn't loaned to Hartford by the Islanders per se. He was Islanders property, but not under contract. Hamilton and the Bridgeport SoundTigers couldn't come to terms for an AHL contract and he was all set to try his luck in Europe when Schoenfield (with Valiquette's help) swooped in and signed him.

As for loaning a goalie, that's not unheard of, but you need to find a willing partner and have to decide which goalie you loan. And you can't just pull him back 2 weeks later when one of your goalies gets injured. I don't know if anyone in the AHL needs a goalie long-term (and these loan arrangements are usually done before the season starts.

Who would you loan?

Holt: The point of having him in the organization is so he can work with Allaire. Won't happen if you loan him out.
Bruckler: Can't ;loan him out, as he is Charlotte's player.
Gherson: Is it worth signing him just to loan him out?

Old
11-30-2005, 08:27 PM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

I think its worth signing him. He has looked good. What was the stat last night? He has stopped 102 of the past 106 shots. Something like that.

Old
12-01-2005, 12:58 AM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmoak
Robert Gherson(Manitoba stats are incorrect) has a little more seasoning because he's a 2nd year pro, having played for 45 games in the UHL for the Quad-City Mallards last year. He's a 5th round draft pick who was not signed by the Caps, but has put up better numbers in the minors than he ever did in junior.

As for the goalie situation, it gets complicated once Weekes and Montoya are back.

Lundqvist, Weekes, Montoya, and Holt are under contract to the Rangers.
Bruckler has an ECHL contract with the Checkers. When he was called up, he signed with Hartford. Not sure what kind of deal he signed (not a 10-day PTO), but the standard is a one-year agreement.

Charlotte's goaltending situation has been muddled. They started the year with no goalies assigned by the Rangers/Pack, Bernd Bruckler as their own signee, and Jeff Glass assigned from Ottawa/Binghamton (last year and this year it's been a shared affiliation, tho the Sens have only assigned 1 player (a goalie) each season.)) However, Bruckler was brought up to Hartford when Montoya was injured. Glass was recalled to Binghamton when Billy Thompson went down with a groin imjury. Holt was assigned to Charlotte, but soon recalled to New York to backup Lundqvist while Weekes heals (at least he is getting time with Allaire). Right now, the Checkers are using Pat Berrigan, veteran of Dalhousie U. (Canada) and a few SPHL games.

If the Pack sign Gherson, he will have to stay in Hartford for the year. He has an ECHL contract with the Columbia Inferno, so he can't be assigned to Charlotte. I suppose we could send him beack to Columbia with a Hartford contrract and recall him as needed.
Assuming they offer Gherson a contract, why not send Bruckler back to the Checkers once Montoya is healed? Holt can go back there too once Weekes is healthy. That's two goalies for every team.

Old
12-01-2005, 09:07 AM
bmoak

Because one of Charlotte's goalie roster spots belongs to the Senators.

Old
12-01-2005, 11:50 AM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Because one of Charlotte's goalie roster spots belongs to the Senators.
Can they loan it to us?

Old
12-01-2005, 09:23 PM
bmoak

I guess, since they are not using it now. But once Billy Thompson comes back from his groin strain, Jeff Glass will be sent down from Binghamton.

Old
12-01-2005, 09:37 PM
bmoak

I guess, since they are not using it now. But once Billy Thompson comes back from his groin strain, Jeff Glass will be sent down from Binghamton.

Old
12-02-2005, 01:14 AM
Brooklyn Ranger

A short term solution to a long term problem. Too bad, because stability in goal goes a long way to helping a young team. Not having a solid backup for Montoya might turn out to be a bigger problem than anyone realized.

Old
12-02-2005, 09:14 AM
bmoak

I'm actually kind of surprised the Pack went with Montoya/Holt to start the season. 2 rookies, and young rookies at that (Bruckler is a rookie as well, but he is several years older since he played 4 years in college). I've never heard of such a young netimnding tandem in the AHL. I was kind of surprised the Pack didn't sign an AHL veteran free agent to back up Montoya and start Holt down in Charlotte.

Old
12-02-2005, 03:53 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
I'm actually kind of surprised the Pack went with Montoya/Holt to start the season. 2 rookies, and young rookies at that (Bruckler is a rookie as well, but he is several years older since he played 4 years in college). I've never heard of such a young netimnding tandem in the AHL. I was kind of surprised the Pack didn't sign an AHL veteran free agent to back up Montoya and start Holt down in Charlotte.
I was too. And imagine if Lundqvist had not started out the way he did or had gotten hurt early in the season (with Weekes hurt too no less). Suddenly, the organization would have been in the market for not one, but two goalies. Sather and Co. got lucky, it could have been a real disaster.

By the way, according an article today on the Hartford Curant's website, Gherson signed a 25 game tryout with Hartford, so it will be a while before they have to make a decision regarding the goaltending in Hartford/Charlotte.

Closed Thread