HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Punched Out: The Life and Death of a Hockey Enforcer (main New York Times story)

Old
12-07-2011, 11:39 PM
redfzn

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagoon44 View Post
So last yr when i posted that Torts hated boogy and treated him like Sh#t you all bashed me. Then last year when I was able to speak to Torts alone and he told me Boogy was done in NY and would never be back with the Rangers you all had comments.. Now with the times running a column you are all feeling sorry and upset? i broke this a yr ago people
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
I feel bad he died and suffered through what he did.

I had no problem with Torts wanting him off the roster- I wanted him off the roster. And if he hadn't died, I would still want him off the roster. It's just tragic that he died doing what he was good at.

What did you break?
This.

This isn't about Torts wanting Boogey off the roster, obviously.

redfzn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2011, 09:47 AM
Dagoon44

Send a message via AIM to Dagoon44 Send a message via Yahoo to Dagoon44
go read back about Torts refusing him to be around the team.. Torts sending him home and not allowing him to rehab with the team or the facility not about playing time.. The Rangers sh#t on Boogy and it may have helped take his life

Dagoon44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2011, 09:55 AM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
So last yr when i posted that Torts hated boogy and treated him like Sh#t you all bashed me. Then last year when I was able to speak to Torts alone and he told me Boogy was done in NY and would never be back with the Rangers you all had comments.. Now with the times running a column you are all feeling sorry and upset? i broke this a yr ago people
Why are you yet again trying to make this about yourself?

Quote:
go read back about Torts refusing him to be around the team.. Torts sending him home and not allowing him to rehab with the team or the facility not about playing time.. The Rangers sh#t on Boogy and it may have helped take his life
Not as much as fighting helped it.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2011, 11:11 AM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

I don't think Torts being "mean" to him made him do what he did...

I think the brain damage from fighting most of his professional career did.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2011, 11:41 AM
mullichicken25

if there's any truth/credibility to what your saying, and i have my reservations, is it really a bad thing if the coach didn't want someone with a serious drug addiction hanging around the team?

mullichicken25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2011, 11:43 AM
redfzn

I'll say one thing, though his brain was already seriously f'd up, him signing with the Rangers was definately one of his worst decisions.

The Wild offered him a $1M deal (not sure of the length) which he didn't accept in favor of the Rangers' lucrative deal. The Oilers also offered him a deal constructed similar to what the Rangers offered, that Boog's parents preffered because of it's proximity to home, which he also didn't accept.

If he would've stayed with the Wild, an organization that obviously cared for him and treated him like family, he might have lasted a couple more years (I say "a couple of more years" simply because of what we have learned recently in regards to his brain's state).

Obviously, that's niether here nor there at this point.

EDIT: In regards to Torts sending Boogs home, disregarding what we know now about his brain's state, I am certain that it lead to him drinking more and taking more pills than he would have if he was, at the least, traveling with the team.

Last edited by redfzn: 12-08-2011 at 03:28 PM.
Old
12-08-2011, 11:51 AM
pld459666

vCash: 873

Quote:
your angle was 100 wrong as to why he was not playing.

It's now pretty clear that Derek had a problem (with the Rangers contributing to it) and was probably showing up to work under the influence. As the article indicated, doing normal conditioning drills Derek, on noodle legs, fell to the ice.

I know alot of folks that self medicated on a host of chemicals and I know that when I worked with those guys and they showed up "high" I gave them crap for it too. I'm pretty sure that Torts was the same way.

It had nothing to do with Torts dislike for him as much as it was his own demons for his undoing here.

Not sure how the Rangers, knowing he had dependency issues, allowed their doctors to prescribe pain-killers to this guy. Not it wasn't going to stop him from getting them as detailed in the article, but they could have done a better job themselves by not issuing any themselves.

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2011, 11:58 AM
pld459666

For the last month aside from 2 seperate instances, Staal wasn't traveling with the team either.

To me, you have a guy you know has a problem. Do you really want that player potentially spreading that to other players that may have some physical ailments themselves?

Not spreading as in contaigous, but spreading as in sharing his pills with some of our guys that may have had some aches and pains they way Todd Fedoruk shared his with Boogaard with the ever so insightful warning of "Be careful"

If I'm the coach of the Rangers, I want to keep a drug addict away from my team as well.

I don't fault them for that. I fault the Rangers more for continuing to prescribe pain killers to a guy they know has issues and had already been the the NHL Care Program once before.

Old
12-08-2011, 12:04 PM
OverTheCap

The Rangers did a lot of things wrong in treating Boogaard (prescribing him pills even though they knew he had a substance abuse problem, notifying him 4 days in advance of a drug test, etc.), but sending him home is not one of them.

From the NY Times article, it seems like the Rangers sent him home twice. The first was because Boogaard was suffering PCS symptoms and any slight movement, even watching hockey, could result in nausea. The second time was later in the season when Boogaard fell asleep on the ice during practice and he was subsequently sent to rehab. The Rangers sent Boogaard home for safety and medical reasons and not because Torts had some vendetta against him.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2011, 12:08 PM
pld459666

The article has made me think about fighting in hockey. I have long been a fan of the player that drops the gloves and have been a fan that believed that a team needs a guy like this on the roster.

After seeing what has happened to three guys this year, listening to former heavy weights like Chris Nilan and a few of the guys in that article itself, I'm starting to alter my thought process.

While I don't think that fighting should be banned from the game, I do believe that players that offer nothing but the ability to fight should have no place in the game.

As long as one team carries a Boogaard/Orr/McGratton/Godard another team will as well and that will leave open the door for some kid to think that because he has size and no skill that he can get to the show by pounding his way there.

As long as that "avenue" is there, we are going to continue to have these kinds of problems.

A very sad article, a eye opener to me for sure.

Old
12-08-2011, 12:51 PM
Sockosensei

I recall that when Boogie first signed with us, he sounded...strange in a phone interview.

People commented on it in a thread, I just dismissed it figuring he'd woken up from a nap, or that was just the way he talked. It makes me sad looking back on it now that he was probably busy feeding his addiction.

Sockosensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2011, 01:05 PM
redfzn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sockosensei View Post
I recall that when Boogie first signed with us, he sounded...strange in a phone interview.
People commented on it in a thread, I just dismissed it figuring he'd woken up from a nap, or that was just the way he talked. It makes me sad looking back on it now that he was probably busy feeding his addiction.
Could you possibly find anything more on this?

I never heard of this, as I'd imagine others here didn't either, and I'd like to read more on it.

Old
12-08-2011, 01:16 PM
ThisYearsModel

Quote:
The guy was a walking pharmaceutical zombie and everyone knew it......................that is why Torts wanted him at rehab instead of with the club. You make it out as the club screwing Boogy. What if Torts knew that the guy needed serious help and was pushing him there so he would get it? Whatever the Times article says, there are many unanswered questions.

I do feel that his claim of being warned 4 days prior to a drug test is alarming and should be investigated. Apparently, that and his ecepalopathy does not worry Bettman much.

ThisYearsModel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2011, 06:00 PM
Dagoon44

Send a message via AIM to Dagoon44 Send a message via Yahoo to Dagoon44
Guys i am not trying to say he didn't play because of anything other then the injury. I am saying the team dumped him and shunned him away as a origination. He was a nice guy and there is a side of him NYC didn't get to see because of the injury.. I got boogy booked along with Fotiu into a movie called ice guardians and we got to know each other threw emails and calls.. When he was injured for sure it affected his life and I guess he turned to drugs as a way to cope with it dumb and a way of costing him his life.. The Rangers tho didn't help by sending him away and not having him close to the doctors and programs he needed. Torts threw the guy away from the team in no way do i think Torts killed him but he may have killed his desire to deal with his demons

Dagoon44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2011, 06:32 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Guys i am not trying to say he didn't play because of anything other then the injury. I am saying the team dumped him and shunned him away as a origination. He was a nice guy and there is a side of him NYC didn't get to see because of the injury.. I got boogy booked along with Fotiu into a movie called ice guardians and we got to know each other threw emails and calls.. When he was injured for sure it affected his life and I guess he turned to drugs as a way to cope with it dumb and a way of costing him his life.. The Rangers tho didn't help by sending him away and not having him close to the doctors and programs he needed. Torts threw the guy away from the team in no way do i think Torts killed him but he may have killed his desire to deal with his demons
Torts job is to coach the hockey team - hes supposed to be a life coach now? He didnt want a pill popping mess around his hockey team.

Is Boogaard supposed to take any accountability in your bizarre argument?

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2011, 06:37 PM
Kel Varnsen
Below: Nash's Heart

Quote:
Maybe that makes sense if you ignore the fact that it's been heavily reported that boogy was excited to start the process of getting ready for the next season. Come on man, don't try to put a man's death on another man just for the heck of it. Boogy had a troubled life, and the death was an accident. It's a tragedy. That's it.

Kel Varnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2011, 03:54 PM
Mr Atoz*
I hid the Atavachron

The New York Tines has no interest in hockey. It has no interest in sports aside from promoting its political agenda.

Not long after the Rangers won the Cup (less than a year), the Times heavily promoted a sports retrospective in the Sunday Times magazine section. I was really looking forward to it. Interest in the Rangers and hockey was at an all time high. For the only time in memory the Rangers truly ruled the NY sports world.

The feature article was ten pages long.

The Rangers were never mentioned.

Hockey was never mentioned.

Out of the ten page article, 1 1/2 pages were devoted to lesbians in sports.

I'm not kidding.

**** the Times and what they think of hockey.

Mr Atoz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2011, 01:59 PM
Mr Atoz*
I hid the Atavachron

For those of you that didn't notice, in today's Sunday Times the sport's section devoted 2 full pages to violence in hockey.

They also devoted 1/6 of one column (1/48 of one page, or 1/96 of the Boogaard story) on a wire service condensed summary of yesterday's Ranger win in the next to last page of the sports section.

Old
12-11-2011, 02:51 PM
StaalWars
TeaOrrCoffey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Atoz View Post

Why are you making this about whether or not the Times likes hockey? OK, they don't cover hockey as much as we would all like but I could say that about pretty much every media outlet in this entire country.

You're getting worked up about this article because you didn't like the way they covered the Rangers in 1994? That's more than 15 years ago man, move on.

Seeing as how you have nothing substantial to say about the article itself and are instead wasting everyone's time ripping the news source, I'd say it's a fair guess that you probably never even took the time to read the article in the first place.

No one is telling anyone how to feel about fighting in hockey or the sport of hockey itself. The Times did their investigative work into Boogard and these articles are telling you what happened. If this story causes a backlash against fighting or hockey in general than maybe the NHL needs to stop and consider whether the cons of employing grown men to punch each other in the head every night outweigh the pros at this point.

StaalWars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2011, 03:14 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Atoz View Post
For those of you that didn't notice, in today's Sunday Times the sport's section devoted 2 full pages to violence in hockey.

They also devoted 1/6 of one column (1/48 of one page, or 1/96 of the Boogaard story) on a wire service condensed summary of yesterday's Ranger win in the next to last page of the sports section.

If you don't like them, don't read them. However, I thnk they are good hockey writers--unfortunately, budget constraints forced them to make choices about when they cover hockey and several years ago they stopped sending a correspondent to away games.

Slapshots is a good blog--they actually cover the whole league.

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2011, 07:48 PM
in the hall

Great piece. Thanks for posting.

in the hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2011, 07:49 PM
Mr Atoz*
I hid the Atavachron

What I am saying is that the Times sees hockey through Times colored glasses. Which means that unless hockey (or most anything else) can further the Times' political agenda, it doesn't exist. Therefore there is no reason to believe what the Times says about hockey because the Times knows nothing about hockey.