HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2011-2012 Flyers Prospects and Phantoms Discussion Thread Part II

Closed Thread

Old
12-07-2011, 04:20 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

vCash: 500
The amount of hate Couturier is getting on HFboards to this day is impressive.

Old
12-08-2011, 06:03 PM
54fightin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
Can you explain or did I miss something?

Old
12-08-2011, 06:08 PM
WeekendAtBernies

Quote:
Agreed. But let them all talk. Let them overhype their Huberdeaus, their Landeskogs, their Granlunds, their Hamiltons, etc. We'll have the last laugh.

Couturier will prove them all wrong next year when he gets off that 4th line.

Old
12-08-2011, 06:34 PM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

vCash: 8400
Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
4 goals, 9 assists now for Ranford in the last 6 games. He's hitting his stride now.

Old
12-08-2011, 09:34 PM
jd2210
Registered Non User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiLLY_ShOE1721 View Post
4 goals, 9 assists now for Ranford in the last 6 games. He's hitting his stride now.
i wonder if he or Cousins might get a look for team Canada?A lot of the top Canadians are in the NHL right now.

Old
12-08-2011, 09:43 PM
SeanL44
Welcome to Hellbow

Bill Meltzer retweeted this tweet earlier today saying that Noebels will be playing for Germany in the WJC.

Expected or unexpected?

Old
12-08-2011, 10:00 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanL44 View Post
Bill Meltzer retweeted this tweet earlier today saying that Noebels will be playing for Germany in the WJC.

Expected or unexpected?
Es ist Deutschland. What other drafted prospects are they going to play?

I'm pretty sure that was expected.

Old
12-09-2011, 02:53 AM
mirimon

Neither Niko Hovinen nor Jakub Kovar will play in the Channel One Cup, the second tournament in Euro Hockey Tour. Former Flyers prospects Joacim Eriksson and Simon Bertilsson made the Swedish roster however. Both will make their debuts (Bertilsson was selected for the previous tournament as well, but had to withdraw due to illness) for the national team.

This is a tournament where traditionally many regulars are rested/unfortunately has to decline due to sudden illness or family matters. Early Christmas break, or a tournament in Russia. Back in the days when the tournament was called Izvestija and these things were a little more serious, this was also a tournament where the coaches could see if a player had the mental strength to cope with whatever little tricks the Soviet hosts had planned. Those who couldn't quite handle it were taken off the list for future Canada Cups, because the Canadians were even worse... (just kidding)

Old
12-10-2011, 03:47 AM
mirimon

The Phantoms have some serious problem scoring goals at the moment. They fell 2-1 against Portland last night, Cullen Eddy with the goal, allowing a short handed goal with only 20 seconds left on the clock. Leighton stopped 35 of 37 shots. In the past 3 games the Phantoms have only managed to score 2 goals. They've only allowed 7 goals in the past 4 games though, so that's good. MFL has been in goal for all those games, stopping 122 of 129 shots.

Jason Akeson and Tye McGinn were -2 against Portland. Guess it's good that they are on the pp at least.

Last edited by mirimon: 12-10-2011 at 04:02 AM.
Old
12-10-2011, 11:51 PM
RMFlyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirimon View Post
The Phantoms have some serious problem scoring goals at the moment. They fell 2-1 against Portland last night, Cullen Eddy with the goal, allowing a short handed goal with only 20 seconds left on the clock. Leighton stopped 35 of 37 shots. In the past 3 games the Phantoms have only managed to score 2 goals. They've only allowed 7 goals in the past 4 games though, so that's good. MFL has been in goal for all those games, stopping 122 of 129 shots.

Jason Akeson and Tye McGinn were -2 against Portland. Guess it's good that they are on the pp at least.
Akeson has played on the first pp all year at the point, has used his slap shot to create rebounds in front of the net, Tye McGinn has recently replaced Mike Testwuide on the first pp unit. Testwuide now plays on the second pp despite scoring only one goal all season, an empty netter. Testwuide has done a good job 5 on 5 shutting down opponents top scoring lines, but has yet to find his scoring touch.

Old
12-11-2011, 01:26 AM
mirimon

The Phantoms won last night as well, beating Rochester 3-2 in ot. Goals from Harper, Roe and Holmstrom. Leighton with 29 saves.

They must have a pretty good defensive system in play, they have been keeping the opposition scoring down to two goals or less in the past five games, despite playing without Gustafsson, Walker, Bartulis, Bourdon and Marshall.

Old
12-11-2011, 11:29 AM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
The Phantoms won last night as well, beating Rochester 3-2 in ot. Goals from Harper, Roe and Holmstrom. Leighton with 29 saves.

They must have a pretty good defensive system in play, they have been keeping the opposition scoring down to two goals or less in the past five games, despite playing without Gustafsson, Walker, Bartulis, Bourdon and Marshall.
Paterson is a good coach. He is doing a terrific job with a team that is depleted by callups and injuries. Yea they had that small losing streak, but without, like you said, at one point 5 of their top 6 defenders, their still winning games and not letting in alot of goals. Obviously Leighton has been good, but you would think with those defenders currently out there, they would be giving up alot of shots. Dont know what system Paterson does use, but it seems to be working. Worked last season from right when he took over as headcoach. The players and fans all like Paterson. Doing a very good job down there with the players he has. You look around the league and alot of these teams have 1st round picks on their team etc etc. Flyers have mostly non-drafted guys and are just 4 points away from the conference lead.

Old
12-11-2011, 12:05 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
Paterson is a good coach. He is doing a terrific job with a team that is depleted by callups and injuries. Yea they had that small losing streak, but without, like you said, at one point 5 of their top 6 defenders, their still winning games and not letting in alot of goals. Obviously Leighton has been good, but you would think with those defenders currently out there, they would be giving up alot of shots. Dont know what system Paterson does use, but it seems to be working. Worked last season from right when he took over as headcoach. The players and fans all like Paterson. Doing a very good job down there with the players he has. You look around the league and alot of these teams have 1st round picks on their team etc etc. Flyers have mostly non-drafted guys and are just 4 points away from the conference lead.
I wish we had him in much sooner. Gilbert was an absolute disaster with the team. He was misusing some players, fighting with others, and even driving prospects out.

One thing I notice is that hockey seems fun again for them.

Old
12-11-2011, 12:33 PM
Go For It

vCash: 50
Quote:
I wish we had him in much sooner. Gilbert was an absolute disaster with the team. He was misusing some players, fighting with others, and even driving prospects out.

One thing I notice is that hockey seems fun again for them.
@PSPhantoms
Former Phantoms coach Greg Gilbert has been hired as the new coach of the Saginaw Spirit.

I know he coached in Juniors before, but did he have success there?

Old
12-11-2011, 02:22 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go For It View Post
@PSPhantoms
Former Phantoms coach Greg Gilbert has been hired as the new coach of the Saginaw Spirit.

I know he coached in Juniors before, but did he have success there?
Success as in?

He had two winning seasons out of three. Patty O'Sullivan was probably the biggest name he had in Mississauga during his tenure.

Before that he was pretty blah in Calgary and had 4 years of playoffs with Worcester before that.

He gained his reputation for problems when he was with the Marlies before he was hired in Philadelphia. A lot of people claimed he mishandled prospects there.

When he got to the Phantoms it was pretty evident that there was some kind of issue. You don't just have an entire locker room go on rebellion and have a team plummet to the absolute most atrocious hockey ever played for no reason.

Old
12-12-2011, 02:40 PM
mirimon

A few notes on some former Flyers prospects.

Joonas Lehtivuori has impressed enough for his Swedish team MoDo to earn himself a new contract. He is now signed until 2015.

Ladislav čurko has been temporarily released from prison, I think he has withdrawn his confession and the trial will continue/start over in a few months. He has taken up hockey again and is playing for his home town team in Slovakian division 3.

Old
12-12-2011, 03:26 PM
Sutter Brother

vCash: 563
Quote:

Why has Eric Wellwood not been dressed lately? Is he injured?

Old
12-12-2011, 04:48 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

vCash: 156
Quote:
Is he really getting hate? I don't wander into the prospects section much.

in 28 games playing about 9-10 minutes a night, the opposition has scored only 4 goals while he's been on the ice. That's a GAON/60 of 0.95, and that is crazy.

12-12-2011, 05:33 PM
WeekendAtBernies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post

in 28 games playing about 9-10 minutes a night, the opposition has scored only 4 goals while he's been on the ice. That's a GAON/60 of 0.95, and that is crazy.
Yeah... he is getting a ton of hate.

It basically boils down to "who cares about his defense, defense isn't exciting, offense is exciting and Couturier doesn't make any highlight reel plays".

A bunch of people who don't bother to watch the flyers play or take a look and see that Couturier is on the 4th line (playing w/ Rinaldo and Shelley) getting very few even strength minutes have decided to give their opinions that Couturier doesn't have very much offensive upside and his value has clearly dropped since the draft.

Several posters have ranked the following ahead of him:
RNH (no brainer here)
Larsson (another no brainer)
*Everyone after this is highly debateable*
Landeskog
Huberdeau
Strome
Zibanejad
Scheifele
Hamilton
Murphy
Beaulieu

Basically, because some of these prospects are tearing up the juniors and because Landeskog had an NHL ready body and is doing well in the NHL, and because Couturier hasn't put up points in the NHL (while playing minimal ES & PP minutes & playing w/ no talent teammates), Couturier doesn't have anywhere near the offensive ability of the guys on that list and Couturier has the lowest ceiling.

It's a bunch of ignorance, but it gets to you after awhile. I'm sick of hearing Couturier's offense downgraded just b/c he's playing an important defensive role for us this year.

But whatever... people did the same thing w/ Seguin when he was playing on the 4th last year, and that appears to be working out for Boston...

Old
12-12-2011, 05:43 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

Considering his usual linemates his stats on offense are pretty good too. 11 total goals for while on the ice, 2.61 GFON/60. He's scored 5 of those 11 on his own and assisted on 3 others.

Old
12-12-2011, 05:56 PM
WeekendAtBernies

Quote:
Considering his usual linemates his stats on offense are pretty good too. 11 total goals for while on the ice, 2.61 GFON/60. He's scored 5 of those 11 on his own and assisted on 3 others.
I don't disagree w/ you... I see him as a future stud.

And the last game just cements that in my mind. The 1st line was actually MORE dominant after Giroux was out and Couturier was in. They didn't score in the 3rd, but they absolutely dominated the play, kept the puck in the offensive zone about 75% of the time and cycled at will. And Couturier had 3 beautiful chances to score (needs to work on the finishing). But at any rate, they were dominant offensively & defensively. I read a stat on twitter (dunno if it is true) that the 1st line didn't allow a SOG against in the 3rd period... now that's domination.

But most of the idiots who post in the prospect section have no idea what GFON/60 is and couldn't care less. They watch highlights, they check boxscores, and because Couturier isn't there, he's not impressive.

Old
12-12-2011, 06:14 PM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Quote:

I agree. I have not noticed all this so called hatred toward him. The kid has been playing very well.Even the guys on Versus have been giving him and Matt their props. Curious to see if Lavi puts him on the big line with G out. He did play well after G went out and Lavi moved him up.

PS Bevs score 28 seconds in. 1-0 vs Tampa, Rolo looked bad.

Last edited by Hockeypete49: 12-12-2011 at 06:24 PM.
Old
12-12-2011, 06:18 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandlansd View Post
But most of the idiots who post in the prospect section have no idea what GFON/60 is and couldn't care less. They watch highlights, they check boxscores, and because Couturier isn't there, he's not impressive.
Pretty much this.

I think we got our money's worth with Couturier. The more I see him, he just screams 2nd overall pick playing with the hype of a 15th overall pick.

I think if Giroux continues his domination, he will reign supreme on the Flyers for years to come. That number two spot though is an open competition between JVR, Voracek, Couturier, and Schenn. It's not a bad problem to have. Right now, considering JVR's age, Voracek's experience, and Schenn's mediocre start, Couturier might be in the lead for highest potential on the Flyers behind Giroux.

Old
12-12-2011, 06:23 PM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandlansd View Post
Yeah... he is getting a ton of hate.

It basically boils down to "who cares about his defense, defense isn't exciting, offense is exciting and Couturier doesn't make any highlight reel plays".

A bunch of people who don't bother to watch the flyers play or take a look and see that Couturier is on the 4th line (playing w/ Rinaldo and Shelley) getting very few even strength minutes have decided to give their opinions that Couturier doesn't have very much offensive upside and his value has clearly dropped since the draft.

Several posters have ranked the following ahead of him:
RNH (no brainer here)
Larsson (another no brainer)
*Everyone after this is highly debateable*
Landeskog
Huberdeau
Strome
Zibanejad
Scheifele
Hamilton
Murphy
Beaulieu

Basically, because some of these prospects are tearing up the juniors and because Landeskog had an NHL ready body and is doing well in the NHL, and because Couturier hasn't put up points in the NHL (while playing minimal ES & PP minutes & playing w/ no talent teammates), Couturier doesn't have anywhere near the offensive ability of the guys on that list and Couturier has the lowest ceiling.

It's a bunch of ignorance, but it gets to you after awhile. I'm sick of hearing Couturier's offense downgraded just b/c he's playing an important defensive role for us this year.
But whatever... people did the same thing w/ Seguin when he was playing on the 4th last year, and that appears to be working out for Boston...
Dude,
Welcome to the HF Boards. Your best bet is just to tune them out or else you will go crazy. There are some whack jobs out there. I just hit the button and puff they are gone. It's great.

2-0 Bevs vs Tampa

Old
12-12-2011, 06:40 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeypete49 View Post
I agree. I have not noticed all this so called hatred toward him. The kid has been playing very well.Even the guys on Versus have been giving him and Matt their props. Curious to see if Lavi puts him on the big line with G out. He did play well after G went out and Lavi moved him up.

PS Bevs score 28 seconds in. 1-0 vs Tampa, Rolo looked bad.
Read's stats for GFON/60 and GAON/60 are damned good as well, speaking of him. They confirm what we've seen from him.

Closed Thread