HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Latvia WJC Discussion

Closed Thread

Old
12-04-2011, 03:59 PM
Systemfel
Global Moderator
Hockey Talk by Country

vCash: 50
Latvia WJC Discussion

Possible returnees from last year:

G Kristers Gudļevskis

D Artūrs Salija

L Kristiāns Pelšs
C Zemgus Girgensons
R Dāvis Straupe

Old
12-04-2011, 04:06 PM
DeflatedFootball7

vCash: 500
I'm really excited to see Girgensons. Would love if the Flyers could draft him in June. Also would like to see if Pelss is NHL material.

Old
12-04-2011, 07:28 PM
DrPabloRamirez

Any news about Rihards Bukarts (1995) and his chances to make a final roster? He scored twice in the last Latvia U20 game against Austria in november.

Old
12-04-2011, 08:00 PM
yanokovich

Edgars Klavins
Kristaps Bazevics
Nikita Kolesnikovs
Teodors Blugers
Vitalijs Hvorostinins

Old
12-04-2011, 09:38 PM
v-man

From the North American playing guys, I've heard Girgensons, Blugers, Pelss and Kolesnikovs have all received invitations. Most of those were a given, but apparently the LHF was hesitant on taking Kolesnikovs because they're not too familiar with him, but it's pretty hard to ignore his numbers (21p in 26 games, +18 as a first year d-man in the QMJHL. The kid was traded 13 games into the season for two guys, which must mean he's definitely impressing someone), and if there's one thing Latvia needs, it's guys who know how to play against North American type players. As far as I've heard, Bazevics doesn't have a guaranteed spot (he didn't stick with his WHL team, but is doing OK in the NAHL), although I suppose he might be invited to try out with the team during the two exhibition games they play in Alberta.

It will be interesting to see how Gudlevskis does. He was one of the top goalies in the MHL last season, but didn't do so well in pressure situations or with their traveling All-Star team. His numbers are considerably down this year as well. He's pretty much in the middle of the pack at #16, with a just about .500 record, 91.3 SV%, 2.43 GAA and 0 shut outs.

Old
12-05-2011, 05:44 AM
ozo

Send a message via Skype™ to ozo
Can't wait to see if our most skilled U20 roster ever will be able to overcame the fact that they could very well be the youngest team in the tournament.

Old
12-05-2011, 06:17 AM
vorky
@vorkywh24

when is preliminary roster released?

Old
12-06-2011, 01:00 AM
Sakaarnis

Quote:
Originally Posted by v-man View Post
It will be interesting to see how Gudlevskis does. He was one of the top goalies in the MHL last season, but didn't do so well in pressure situations or with their traveling All-Star team. His numbers are considerably down this year as well. He's pretty much in the middle of the pack at #16, with a just about .500 record, 91.3 SV%, 2.43 GAA and 0 shut outs.
Whole team has been less impressive. However his numbers are not too far off from last years. So is his play to be honest, but it's not that encouraging if we assume that juinor players need to progress lineary, year to year.

Now, if we want to stay up, our GKs will have to play their absolute best. I'm quite confident of our firepower. Talking about Zemgus ofcourse I think we havent had such a dominant junior player since Karsums (Though, he was tearing up Div.1).

Old
12-06-2011, 01:04 AM
Sakaarnis

Quote:
Originally Posted by vorky View Post
when is preliminary roster released?
There's no set date as of yet. Only information we have is that it's going to be released in the next few days.

Old
12-06-2011, 01:13 AM
yanokovich

Big Lost for Latvia,Ainars Podzins will play for Russia.

Old
12-06-2011, 01:34 AM
Sakaarnis

Quote:
Originally Posted by yanokovich View Post
Big Lost for Latvia,Ainars Podzins will play for Russia.
Irrelevant for Latvian WJC roster. Ainārs just got his Latvian citizenship. In order to play for Latvia, he must follow IIHF regulations and earliest he could play for us is September, 2012. If he cracks Russian WJC roster, he will need to wait untill 2014. If he plays for Russian NT, then that's it. I don't blame the kid for trying break into Russian roster.

Old
12-06-2011, 01:57 PM
Helpoing
21st c schizoid man

It's not that Gudlevskis was so much better last year, his numbers took a dive mostly because his team in 10/11 was stronger. His best game of the current season came in Omsk during the Juniour World Cup, when he shutout Red Army. Though in the last month he seemed to have found his game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakaarnis View Post
Irrelevant for Latvian WJC roster. Ainārs just got his Latvian citizenship. In order to play for Latvia, he must follow IIHF regulations and earliest he could play for us is September, 2012. If he cracks Russian WJC roster, he will need to wait untill 2014. If he plays for Russian NT, then that's it. I don't blame the kid for trying break into Russian roster.
Not blaming him either. It's not that you can play at WJC in Canada together with your old time friends every year.

Old
12-07-2011, 03:31 AM
Sakaarnis

Preliminary Roster has been announced:

GK:

Kristers Gudļevskis (HK Rīga, MHL)
Rihards Cimermanis (HK Juniors, MHL-2)
Elviss Merzļikins (HC Lugano U20, SWI)

Defenders:

Sandis Šostaks (Liepājas Metalurgs, BOL)
Kristers Freibergs (HK Rīga, MHL)
Artūrs Salija (HK Rīga, MHL)
Krišs Lipsbergs (HK Rīga, MHL)
Edgars Siksna (Liepājas Metalurgs, BOL)
Ņikita Koļesņikovs (Blainville-Boisbriand, QMJHL)
Krists Kalniņš (AIK Härnösand, SWE3)
Juris Ziemiņš (HK Juniors, MHL2)
Kristaps Nīmanis (Red Ducks, FIN3)
Pauls Zvirbulis (HK Rīga, MHL)
Vladislavs Dudins (Olimpya, MHL)
Mārtiņš Mežulis (Rapperswil U20, SWI)

Forwards:

Kristiāns Pelšs (Edmonton Oil Kings, WHL)
Vitālijs Hvorostiņins (Vaasas Sport U20, FIN)
Teodors Bļugers (Shattuck St. Mary’s, USHS)
Edgars Kļaviņš (AIK J20, SWE)
Pauls Hodzko (Liepājas Metalurgs, BOL)
Roberts Lipsbergs (HK Rīga, MHL)
Dāvis Straupe (HK Rīga, MHL)
Toms Andersons (HC Bern U20, SWI)
Artūrs Birstiņš (HC Most, CZE)
Kristaps Legzdiņš (Syrianska HK, SWE4)
Ņikita Jevpalovs (HK Rīga, MHL)
Zemgus Girgensons (Dubuque Fighting Saints, USHL)
Kirils Tambijevs (HK Rīga, MHL)
Māris Diļevka (Liepājas Metalurgs, BOL)
Artūrs Kuzmenkovs (HK Rīga, MHL)

Old
12-08-2011, 01:39 PM
ozo

I'm pretty surprised that there's no Bukarts on that list. If we were to bring younger but more skilled players to the tournament in favour of age and experience we could of gone "all-in" in this fashion.

Though, he still is fifteen, so it's hard to complain about this decision.

Old
12-08-2011, 01:40 PM
vorky
@vorkywh24

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozo View Post
I'm pretty surprised that there's no Bukarts on that list. If we were to bring younger but more skilled players to the tournament in favour of age and experience we could of gone "all-in" in this fashion.

he did not play today for his MHL team. Do you know why?

Old
12-08-2011, 01:48 PM
DrPabloRamirez

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozo View Post

I am disapointed...
Is he really 184 cm and 83 kg (6'0'' and 183 lbs) like is written on MHL site? He plays in MHL against 91-92 born guys, Latvia is in "euro group"...

Old
12-08-2011, 02:36 PM
ozo

Quote:
Originally Posted by vorky View Post
he did not play today for his MHL team. Do you know why?
No.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPabloRamirez View Post
I am disapointed...
Is he really 184 cm and 83 kg (6'0'' and 183 lbs) like is written on MHL site? He plays in MHL against 91-92 born guys, Latvia is in "euro group"...
I see no reason to mistrust MHL page. There was a note that someone could still be added to the roster, though it's unlikely that it will be him.

Old
12-08-2011, 03:29 PM
wings5

how is HK Riga doing in the MHL?

Old
12-08-2011, 03:37 PM
vorky
@vorkywh24

Quote:
Originally Posted by wings5 View Post
how is HK Riga doing in the MHL?
not good, last year was much better. Now they are at 6th place of eight in division. They still make play-off but I hope they wont make it (sorry latvian friends) because I cheer slovak team Tatranski Vlci

table here
you can find daily results of MHL in MHL thread

Old
12-08-2011, 03:39 PM
vorky
@vorkywh24

Rihards Bukarts, born 95, did not play today due injury, not serious, he will be back in next match.

Old
12-08-2011, 11:21 PM
Royal Canuck
#Shinkaruk4Calder

vCash: 50
It's weird i've never heard of this Bukarts kid... is he expected to play through the CHL route VIA Import Draft or is he staying in Latvia for junior?

Old
12-08-2011, 11:59 PM
Purple hippo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSwede21 View Post
It's weird i've never heard of this Bukarts kid... is he expected to play through the CHL route VIA Import Draft or is he staying in Latvia for junior?
Well he is 15 so unless you are super into prospects then it dosnt surprise me, Im sure you heard of his brother Roberts though? Anyways, he plays in Russia in the MHL but he hasnt made a choice where he is going to play if a CHL club drafts him.

Old
12-09-2011, 12:09 AM
v-man

Quote:
Not weird at all. Since Latvia doesn't get scouted nearly as heavily as the bigger Euro nations, most Latvian kids don't start to get noticed until they're 17 or 18 (with the exception of Girgensons of course). By that time many get overlooked for the CHL because the teams feel they can't get enough years out of them. The vast majority of the younger darkhorse/unheard of guys taken recently have failed to earn a roster spot on their CHL teams (Bazevics, Hvorostinins, Berzins, Ozolins), often because they were drafted based on an agent's hype rather than proper scouting. Bukarts older brother Robert was drafted by Victoriaville, but he chose not to report, so I guess there's a history in his family of going to euro route, but seeing how Robs career, which looked pretty promising a couple of years ago, now seems to have stagnated, he may in fact try the CHL route if selected to get a foot in the door of the North American development system.

Last edited by v-man: 12-09-2011 at 01:29 AM.
Old
12-09-2011, 02:12 AM
vorky
@vorkywh24

Quote:
I hope he will never play CHL. He plays now for Kapitan Stupino, russian based team of MHL. He is KHL draft eligible next summer. Guys born 1995 can play MHL this season if they pass medical tests. Rihards is one of cca 30 such kids. He is top 5 in scoring in his age-group. Dont forget his club is on of worst in league.

Best in points in MHL (age group 1995) is one of Tolchintsky or Buchnevich

Old
12-10-2011, 06:31 AM
ozo

Quote:
Originally Posted by v-man View Post
Not weird at all. Since Latvia doesn't get scouted nearly as heavily as the bigger Euro nations
I'd go even further and say Latvia doesn't get scouted at all, because there isn't anything worth seeing. Only teams that probably gets any scout recognition are the one playing abroad - Metalurgs in BOL, and 3 MHL and MHL B teams.

Closed Thread