HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Anyone ever coached a college hockey team ?

Old
11-25-2011, 04:42 AM
NYI JT91
(Islesallday)

vCash: 102
Anyone ever coached a college hockey team ?

has anyone ever coached a college hockey team or have someone close to them who has ? I would really like to get into that one day, My knowledge of the game ive always been told is great and I should definitly coach one day. I was a step away from college hockey playing wise when I was 18 (played for 11 years) but multiple concussions kindof derailed that. Anyway im 25 now and still trying to learn as much as I can but I feel it wont be long before im ready to give it a shot. Would like to know the steps / requirements that are necessary to do so. Thanks in advance

NYI JT91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2011, 01:21 PM
BLBarmada

vCash: 500
Start out coaching a youth team, high level midget or the Bantam equivilent.

BLBarmada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2011, 01:28 PM
Harv
R.I.P. Pavol.

Totally depends what level.

NCAA teams usually have bench boss's who are qualified to coach pro level teams.

Theres a real line between coaching in youth and amateur programs and college programs.

Player attitude is a big thing. Some players come in with attitudes and egos who think they are better than the team and behave that way. These are also the kids who are causing programs on campus with drinking/partying. You have to make a decision if his actions off the ice factor into whether or not he's bag skating or sitting in the stands because of this.

I once had a college coach who was great coaching youth and jr. programs but he could never translate it to his college players. Why? He couldn't put players personal feelings behind him and make good hockey decisions. He would often dress players who should of been a scratch 20 games a year just because he felt bad for them. The same went for ice time. The 4th line would get 8mins a night and guess what? They were -3s and screwed up bench rhythm just because the coach felt bad for them. Jr. A players would just sit and watch while our less talented teammates went out there with cinder block hands and couldn't run a breakout. Same went for goalies. 3rd string goalie would get a start in his hometown and we'd lose 7-5 because of it.

College is a level where winning matters. Winning goes beyond just your organization. When schools are pumping money into your program it doesn't care about feelings, it cares about scores and you have to coach that way.

Harv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 05:49 AM
NYI JT91
(Islesallday)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLBarmada View Post
Start out coaching a youth team, high level midget or the Bantam equivilent.
Thanks for the advice.

Old
11-30-2011, 04:08 AM
macattack22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islesallday View Post
has anyone ever coached a college hockey team or have someone close to them who has ? I would really like to get into that one day, My knowledge of the game ive always been told is great and I should definitly coach one day. I was a step away from college hockey playing wise when I was 18 (played for 11 years) but multiple concussions kindof derailed that. Anyway im 25 now and still trying to learn as much as I can but I feel it wont be long before im ready to give it a shot. Would like to know the steps / requirements that are necessary to do so. Thanks in advance
try finding a school in your area that fields an ACHA team (club). Believe it or not, the ACHA fields more teams that the NCAA.

macattack22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2011, 06:00 AM
Gino 14

Quote:
If you have a real interest take some initiative and contact, in person, some coaches and ask them how they got their start. If you don't have the fortitude to do that, I'd be willing to bet you won't make coaching a career choice.

Gino 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2011, 04:35 AM
NYI JT91
(Islesallday)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gino 14 View Post
If you have a real interest take some initiative and contact, in person, some coaches and ask them how they got their start. If you don't have the fortitude to do that, I'd be willing to bet you won't make coaching a career choice.
Im a little busy with the US Army right now so I dont have the time. I was looking for a point in the right direction for when I do. Thanks for the semi condesending comment though. Everyone else thank you very much your advice is appreciated.

Old
12-07-2011, 06:00 AM
Gino 14

Quote:
Im a little busy with the US Army right now so I dont have the time. I was looking for a point in the right direction for when I do. Thanks for the semi condesending comment though. Everyone else thank you very much your advice is appreciated.
Big difference between condesending and constructive advice. I gave you an honest answer based on past experience that you didn't want to hear because it's true. Any person that doesn't want to hear "bad" things will never last in coaching, at any level. Suck it up.

Gino 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2011, 07:17 AM
NYI JT91
(Islesallday)

Quote:
Big difference between condesending and constructive advice. I gave you an honest answer based on past experience that you didn't want to hear because it's true. Any person that doesn't want to hear "bad" things will never last in coaching, at any level. Suck it up.
Haha like I said. Im very busy. it has nothing to do with hearing something i didnt want to hear. Dont pretend to know me or my situation. I will have the time soon and I will do all I need to, but now I dont so I wanted ideas of a quick path to get started. Dont speak to me about constructive or sucking it up im Infantry in the US Army. Ive spent more time "sucking it up" in
the past month then most do in a life time. So like I said please stop being condesending, because you are. You speak to me like im a 12 year old your giving a life lesson to and telling me your saying things I didnt want to hear like you know me at all. Im a man and I serve my country I dont need a life lesson or you telling me how to run my life thats none of your business. just advice/

Old
12-07-2011, 07:20 AM
NYI JT91
(Islesallday)

Quote:
Originally Posted by macattack22 View Post
try finding a school in your area that fields an ACHA team (club). Believe it or not, the ACHA fields more teams that the NCAA.
Thank you

Old
12-07-2011, 11:09 AM
BLBarmada

Quote:

This minus the last part, the last sentence.

I emailed every team in the CHL, either their goalie coach, assistant, head coach, in some cases the GM. I would do that for the NCAA Iif you can.

BLBarmada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2011, 01:25 AM
NYI JT91
(Islesallday)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLBarmada View Post
This minus the last part, the last sentence.

I emailed every team in the CHL, either their goalie coach, assistant, head coach, in some cases the GM. I would do that for the NCAA Iif you can.
Thank you for your input

Old
12-09-2011, 05:46 AM
Law

Send a message via AIM to Law
Should probably start off by coaching in a youth organization just to get your feet wet. You said you played growing up and you list 'Suffolk' under you location, did you play out there? If so, maybe contact PAL or the Royals (or whatever org you played in), see if they're in need of volunteers.

Second, if you do want to coach in youth hockey, you'll need to be certified by USA Hockey. It used to be based levels 1-5, but they've since added 'age specific modules' to the mix (perhaps someone here with more recent experience can explain this better). Again, not positive about the current requirements, but you'll need to be certified one way or the other.

Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2011, 06:25 AM
gabbagabbawill

You say you're in the Army? And you're in Suffolk Co, NY? You're only three hours away from where the Black Knights play hockey... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Army_Bl...27s_ice_hockey

My advice is to see what it takes to get involved in the Army's hockey program...

gabbagabbawill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2011, 11:22 PM
NYI JT91
(Islesallday)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Law View Post
Should probably start off by coaching in a youth organization just to get your feet wet. You said you played growing up and you list 'Suffolk' under you location, did you play out there? If so, maybe contact PAL or the Royals (or whatever org you played in), see if they're in need of volunteers.

Second, if you do want to coach in youth hockey, you'll need to be certified by USA Hockey. It used to be based levels 1-5, but they've since added 'age specific modules' to the mix (perhaps someone here with more recent experience can explain this better). Again, not positive about the current requirements, but you'll need to be certified one way or the other.
Thanks Law

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabbagabbawill View Post
You say you're in the Army? And you're in Suffolk Co, NY? You're only three hours away from where the Black Knights play hockey... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Army_Bl...27s_ice_hockey

My advice is to see what it takes to get involved in the Army's hockey program...
I appreciate that but I reside at fort riley in KS. I will be back home on LI in a couple months as im getting out of the Army shortly. Thank you very much for your input and the site link.

Old
12-11-2011, 11:27 AM
sjmay*

If you want to coach in the NCAA, you will need at the bare minimum a B.A. degree and some schools will want a Master's degree, you could be the greatest coach since Toe Blake, they won't touch you without a degree.

sjmay* is offline   Reply With Quote