HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Minnesota Wild
Notices

If the Wild had all state natives on the roster...

Closed Thread

Old
12-09-2011, 10:17 AM
651*

vCash: 500
If the Wild had all state natives on the roster...

I think this team would be bananas:

Cullen Parise Backes

Byfuglien Martin

Blake Langenbruner Okposo

Leddy Johnson

Wheeler Stepan Bjugstad

Leopold or Ballard + McDonagh

What would your team look like?

Old
12-09-2011, 10:22 AM
Surly Furious

vCash: 528

Old
12-09-2011, 10:33 AM
651*

Forgot SSP native Justin Faulk. I expect great things out of him and the Canes are playing him quite regularly. Shame our state hasn't produced many great netminders over the years.

Old
12-09-2011, 10:34 AM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

vCash: 50
i thought you couldn't start threads until you had a bunch of posts. Welcome aboard and everything, but if there is one thing users here are sensitive about (well, there are several things) it's looking like homers. Do not expect proposals involving Minnesotans coming the Wild's way to be greeted with enthusiastic applause.
Fair warning.

Old
12-09-2011, 10:37 AM
651*

Quote:
Originally Posted by rynryn View Post
i thought you couldn't start threads until you had a bunch of posts. Welcome aboard and everything, but if there is one thing users here are sensitive about (well, there are several things) it's looking like homers. Do not expect proposals involving Minnesotans coming the Wild's way to be greeted with enthusiastic applause.
Fair warning.
It will never happen because of the politics and business side of things, I know, but they could do more of a job of at least trying to get more natives. Trading Leddy like that was in bad form as he's proving to be a very solid NHLer, and if the Rangers can have 3-4 on their team I would think they could do better.

And I have to say I don't feel too welcome around here, FWIW.

Old
12-09-2011, 10:39 AM
Dr Jan Itor

Quote:
Originally Posted by WPWW View Post
It will never happen because of the politics and business side of things, I know, but they could do more of a job of at least trying to get more natives. Trading Leddy like that was in bad form as he's proving to be a very solid NHLer, and if the Rangers can have 3-4 on their team I would think they could do better.

And I have to say I don't feel too welcome around here, FWIW.
Lucia is a start. Too bad we couldn't have snagged Bjugstad a couple years ago, but I'm sure if the opportunities present themselves, we will jump on them.

Old
12-09-2011, 10:47 AM
Dee Oh Cee

We have Cullen, Taffe, Lundin, Prosser and then Lucia and Seeler so it's a start at least.

Old
12-09-2011, 11:11 AM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

...they would be the Gophers. And maybe a Minnesotan would learn how to play goalie in the NHL.

Welcome to HF!

"Will beats skill when skill doesn't have enough will."
-Doug Woog
1974 1976 1979 2002 2003 2014?
Old
12-09-2011, 11:16 AM
651*

Quote:
Originally Posted by GopherState View Post
...they would be the Gophers. And maybe a Minnesotan would learn how to play goalie in the NHL.

Welcome to HF!
But our '02-'03 teams had non-natives (Vanek, Potulny). Now they have even more than those nat-champ teams (Haula, Condon, Serratore, Warning). Credit where credit is due, the Gophers do better than any other team in college SPORTS to cram the roster with our state's best. Though I grew up a Gophers backer my loyalty is first and foremost to the Huskies since I played with someone who was a husky and my in law was a player as well. Also all of my siblings are alum. Not to digress...

And thanks for the welcome, it seems like a pretty hostile forum.

Old
12-09-2011, 11:17 AM
tomgilbertfan
CRAAAWWWFFFOOORD

Quote:
But our '02-'03 teams had non-natives (Vanek, Potulny). Now they have even more than those nat-champ teams (Haula, Condon, Serratore, Warning). Credit where credit is due, the Gophers do better than any other team in college SPORTS to cram the roster with our state's best.

The Wild forum isn't hostile at all. Its one of the most docile ones. You just happen to be making threads that touch peoples nerves (because they've been done to death). You'll figure it all out though.

Old
12-09-2011, 11:21 AM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:

Welcome to HF!
What's that you say?

Ranked 7th amongst San Jose prospects and given a 7.0C rating you say?

Old
12-09-2011, 11:23 AM
651*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC2600 View Post
The Wild forum isn't hostile at all. Its one of the most docile ones. You just happen to be making threads that touch peoples nerves (because they've been done to death). You'll figure it all out though.
No, it's hostile. Trust me, I'm a member at over a dozen different forums on a variety of topics and understand the mentality against noobs. I start a thread or two and people jump on me like stink on ----. The other thread may have touched some nerves but it's my genuine feeling and since my father was a season ticket holder for the first 7 seasons and lifelong St. Paul taxpaying residents and we've contributed a great deal to the franchise I feel I have every right to voice my displeasure about the team. And this thread was hardly looking for hostility, so I don't know what the problem is.

I'll hang for now but if people want to jump on me over these things I can leave just as easily.

Old
12-09-2011, 11:24 AM
651*

Quote:
But our '02-'03 teams had non-natives (Vanek, Potulny). Now they have even more than those nat-champ teams (Haula, Condon, Serratore, Warning). Credit where credit is due, the Gophers do better than any other team in college SPORTS to cram the roster with our state's best. Though I grew up a Gophers backer my loyalty is first and foremost to the Huskies since I played with someone who was a husky and my in law was a player as well. Also all of my siblings are alum. Not to digress...

Should say the Bulldogs also were almost entirely MNers last year. Unfortunately their leading scorer was a bloody Canadian.

Old
12-09-2011, 11:28 AM
Dr Jan Itor

Quote:
No, it's hostile. Trust me, I'm a member at over a dozen different forums on a variety of topics and understand the mentality against noobs. I start a thread or two and people jump on me like stink on ----. The other thread may have touched some nerves but it's my genuine feeling and since my father was a season ticket holder for the first 7 seasons and lifelong St. Paul taxpaying residents and we've contributed a great deal to the franchise I feel I have every right to voice my displeasure about the team. And this thread was hardly looking for hostility, so I don't know what the problem is.

I'll hang for now but if people want to jump on me over these things I can leave just as easily.
I think it just irked some that your first thread and post was telling us how stupid our name and ugly our jerseys are.

Give all thanks and praise to Yeo, and you'll be fine.

Old
12-09-2011, 11:32 AM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:

If you're so "experienced in the way of forums" then you should know better than to flaunt such a self-absorbed, "you'll regret it if you're not nice to me" sort of introduction.

We have no problem welcoming in new members. We're (mostly) adults here and you need to just drop it. If you don't like what you get out of here, you know where the door out is. We'll keep on going after like we went on before. So please just lose the topic and the attitude towards it.

Old
12-09-2011, 11:33 AM
Surly Furious

vCash: 528
Quote:

I think Woog was the last Gopher coach who tried to go with a "pureblood" roster. Back when it was just U of M and UMD in the state with division 1 programs, it was pretty viable.

Old
12-09-2011, 11:34 AM
651*

Quote:
Originally Posted by squidz View Post
If you're so "experienced in the way of forums" then you should know better than to flaunt such a self-absorbed, "you'll regret it if you're not nice to me" sort of introduction.

We have no problem welcoming in new members. We're (mostly) adults here and you need to just drop it. If you don't like what you get out of here, you know where the door out is. We'll keep on going after like we went on before. So please just lose the topic and the attitude towards it.
Paleeeese. Like I said, as a lifelong Eastsider and taxpayer and longtime season ticket holder I will voice displeasure where I feel warranted.

That is all.

Old
12-09-2011, 11:39 AM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rynryn View Post
Fair warning.
You can start threads with your first post on most boards (trade proposals being one of the exceptions). The only other things which rookie users can't do are vote in polls and something else which I'm blanking on.

Quote:

You're welcome. That also might be the first time I've heard the word "hostile" to describe HF Wild but this (MN natives on the Wild) is a subject which gets brought up a lot and is a pet peeve to some.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookman View Post
I think Woog was the last Gopher coach who tried to go with a "pureblood" roster. Back when it was just U of M and UMD in the state with division 1 programs, it was pretty viable.
Lucia's had a couple teams with all-Minnesotans. The last one which comes to mind is 2007-2008 after Briggs graduated.

Old
12-09-2011, 11:40 AM
651*

Quote:

You're welcome. That also might be the first time I've heard the word "hostile" to describe HF Wild but this (MN natives on the Wild) is a subject which gets brought up a lot and is a pet peeve to some.
I had no idea. I'd like to see some of the threads though.

Old
12-09-2011, 11:40 AM
BuddyMcCormick

vCash: 934
Quote:
Paleeeese. Like I said, as a lifelong Eastsider and taxpayer and longtime season ticket holder I will voice displeasure where I feel warranted.

That is all.
You're welcome to voice your opinion whereever you want. Even if you haven't been a lifelong Eastsider, taxpayer, and STH. (Which by the way kinda comes off as a sense of entitlement) However, you have to look at the context in which you're delivering your message. You join a message board and your first post is basically an attack to the team, in a section of fans. If you don't see the possible problems that could impose than we, as a whole, can't really help you.

As for the subject at hand, me and a buddy looked this up a while back and the roster would be pretty **** formidable with the exception of a goalie.

Old
12-09-2011, 11:43 AM
651*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuddyMcCormick View Post

As for the subject at hand, me and a buddy looked this up a while back and the roster would be pretty **** formidable with the exception of a goalie.
I'm not sure I follow. You say would be **** without a goalie, is that correct? Or are you saying that lineup In my OP would not do anything significant in the league?

Old
12-09-2011, 11:45 AM
BuddyMcCormick

vCash: 934
Quote:
I'm not sure I follow. You say would be **** without a goalie, is that correct? Or are you saying that lineup In my OP would not do anything significant in the league?
I think you need to look up what the word formidable means...

Our lineup would strike fear into it's opponents, minus our goalie.

Old
12-09-2011, 11:48 AM
651*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuddyMcCormick View Post
I think you need to look up what the word formidable means...

Our lineup would strike fear into it's opponents, minus our goalie.

Your syntax in the last sentence made little sense, probably because of the ****.

Old
12-09-2011, 11:53 AM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Quote:
I had no idea. I'd like to see some of the threads though.
Really Bad Trades People Propose Involving The Wild

About every third trade proposed is someone good for a Minnesotan who is not because that's the mentality of many non-Wild fans for some reason.

Quote:
It would be good besides a goalie because there aren't any good Minnesotan goalies in the NHL. You're scraping the barrel with some combination of Alex Stalock or Jeff Frazee and the same holds true historically.

Old
12-09-2011, 11:55 AM
forthewild

off the top of my head

oshie backes parise

okposo stepan buffy

wheeler cullen Langenbrune

hendricks carter blake

martin-gogo

Leopold McDonagh

braun-niski