HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Mitchell and Hagelin

Old
12-09-2011, 10:50 AM
Fitzy
All Is Well

vCash: 500
The Boyle, Hagelin, and Mitchell line had been one of the Ranger's best recently. While that has a lot to do with Hagelin, and Boyle has been mediocre at best this season, I would suggest that Boyle as the 4th line center is not the biggest problem this team could have. Like, say, 2 of our top 4 defensemen out.

12-09-2011, 11:18 AM
ruckus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLU Hockey View Post
The Boyle, Hagelin, and Mitchell line had been one of the Ranger's best recently. While that has a lot to do with Hagelin, and Boyle has been mediocre at best this season, I would suggest that Boyle as the 4th line center is not the biggest problem this team could have. Like, say, 2 of our top 4 defensemen out.
While that may very well become an issue, to this point our defense has been great this season. We've been one of the best teams in the league without Staal, an All-Star shut down number 1 defenseman. Last night without him and Sauer we should've won a game 2-1.

Mitchell and Hagelin have been good. Not Boyle. He really deserves no credit for their play. And I love the guy but he's been terrible.

The problem to me, is pretty obvious. Torts' obsession with his top six and only ever wanting to play them unless this team gets a goal very early in the game from the bottom two lines or if we have a significant lead.

Anyone notice that when this team went on its most recent winning streak a key component of that was rolling four lines? Torts still hasn't figured out that you can't sit guys forever and then throw them out twice a period and expect them to be effective. He hasn't figured out that it benefits the whole team, including the top two lines, when you have that. He hasn't figured out that he has a roster where he can do that. He's not STILL coaching in Tampa right now where they only have Stamkos and Lecavalier and St. Louis and nothing else. He doens't have to do this but he continues to and it's not a coincidence in my opinion the results.

Our defense may very well come back to bite us. I cringe just thinking of Stralman being on the ice. Anyone see Connolly blow by him last night in the first period when he got that nice scoring chance? It was a two on two, Woywitka is right next to Stralman and obviously has the man with the puck who is right in front of him. Instead of taking Connolly, who is right in front of him, Stralman leans towards the puck carrier, allowing Connolly to blow by him when he receives a perfect pass. Stralman is garbage.

But we win that game last night if we get ONE more goal at any point. You get one more goal by having your entire forward group playing well and generating chances.

The power play results are also overstated IMO. I know they've been better as of late, but really it's just Stepan. Torts continues with the same personnel and this team still looks way out of tune with the extra man. That has to change.

ruckus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2011, 11:38 AM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

I really like Hagelin's game... Want to see him playing with Richards & Callahan at some point....

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2011, 11:41 AM
Zuccarello Awesome*

Totally agree with ruckus. It doesnt matter how ON your top line is. You can't SUSTAIN momentum if you don't have multiple lines getting into a rhythm. It goes a long way mentally, when you KNOW the coach is going to put you back out there every few minutes, especially for the bottom six players. I wish he'd just put Dubinsky back with Richards and Cally, and leave Fedotenko with Boyle and Prust, and then have Hagelin Mitchell Avery as the other line. Its so much more balanced and a great fit chemistry wise with all four lines. There's the obvious chemistry of the Stepan Gaborik Anisimov line, Richards and Cally have something going and Dubi and Cally know eachother well as players. Hagelin and Mitchell have been very good in spurts, and the Boyle Feds Prust line is a great fit, chemistry-wise. It's too obvious. I've been very anti-Torts for about a year, and I will admit the last 15 games or so, he's been much better with the lines, lineup, and adjusting mid-game to the other team, but he's starting to do what he preaches to his players not to do: overthink.

Zuccarello Awesome* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2011, 11:44 AM
Zuccarello Awesome*

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
I really like Hagelin's game... Want to see him playing with Richards & Callahan at some point....
That'd be an intriguing combo.

As far as next year, I am drooling over the idea of Hagelin and Kreider either playing together or one of them playing opposite Gaborik. We're going to be an insanely fast team next year if Kreider makes the team out of camp. LOVE it.

Zuccarello Awesome* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2011, 11:49 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruckus View Post
But we win that game last night if we get ONE more goal at any point. You get one more goal by having your entire forward group playing well and generating chances.
Or, you get one more goal by giving ice time to the people most likely to score a goal, which is what Torts generally does.

Guess we'll agree to disagree on this one.

Still feel like every single one of your posts is a crusade to get Sean Avery more ice-time.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2011, 11:58 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Yes, I agree. Really want to see what Hagelin can do with those two.

Fedotenko is a nice player, but, Hagelin's speed and smarts would look good in that spot.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2011, 12:01 PM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerJack View Post
I find it strange. Hagelin has really proven that he belongs on the team. Then all of a sudden his ice time is cut in half....only 6:40 last night...

This weekend may show otherwise, but I wouldn´t be surprised if he (and Mitchell) are sent down with the same excuse as MZA; They need more ice time, which they can´t get with the Rangers....
Lots of PKing and PP time and he's not a mainstay on the PK yet? That'd be my guess. Lines were all messed up and Torts was trying to get his top lines going after lots of penalty killing, etc

I don't think they did anything wrong other than Tortorella also probably doesn't want them on the ice against other teams top lines right now

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2011, 12:01 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Did Feds take your money away in high school or something? What's up with no love for him? Why should he be demoted? He's been perfectly good with Richards and Callahan. We'll talk about switching up those lines when they start to falter. I don't care who is a second and who is a third liner on paper. On the ice, Feds looks good on that line.

Also: just say no to Dubi at center. I don't care that he played there years ago. He wasn't as effective at C than at LW. Yes, any NHLer can play NHL position. I am sure Eminger could get in there as a Center also. But it's a matter how effective the player is, and Dubi is far, far more effective as a LW.

Beacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2011, 12:25 PM
ruckus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Or, you get one more goal by giving ice time to the people most likely to score a goal, which is what Torts generally does.

Guess we'll agree to disagree on this one.

Still feel like every single one of your posts is a crusade to get Sean Avery more ice-time.
I don't give a damn what you think my posts are. Where did I mention Avery in my post? I'm talking about all 12 forwards. It's not rocket science that this team has played its best offensive hockey when getting contributions from throughout the lineup. That's why good teams win. They're not top heavy and they have depth. We have a roster of forwards that is capable of taking a regular shift. There is no reason not to be utilizing them that way. Each line has the ability to score.

The problem is that Torts only does thins when one of two things happens: a bottom six line scores a goal early in a game, or when we have a significant lead. Other than that he just refuses.

Our top two lines were not great last night. Not by any stretch. But he kept trotting them out there cause no one in the bottom six scored early and we couldn't build a lead. So here it comes, every other shift it's Stepan's line and then Richards'. Again and again and again. Oh wait, here comes Boyle's line, here's the face off, puck out of play 5 seconds later, Stepan's line back on. Here comes Dubinsky's line on the ice off a change, other team has possession of the puck, that line is on the ice for 30 seconds and as soon as they get the puck he's calling for a change again.

If you watch this team when it has been successful it's pretty obvious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerEsq View Post
Did Feds take your money away in high school or something? What's up with no love for him? Why should he be demoted? He's been perfectly good with Richards and Callahan. We'll talk about switching up those lines when they start to falter. I don't care who is a second and who is a third liner on paper. On the ice, Feds looks good on that line.

Also: just say no to Dubi at center. I don't care that he played there years ago. He wasn't as effective at C than at LW. Yes, any NHLer can play NHL position. I am sure Eminger could get in there as a Center also. But it's a matter how effective the player is, and Dubi is far, far more effective as a LW.
I'm not sure it's really about Feds. He's fine. Solid defensively. Smart player. That's all great. There's no reason he should be there instead of Dubinsky. It's not like that line wasn't producing when Dubi was on it. The only thing lacking was Dubi not scoring goals. He fit just as well there and has was more offensive potential. Having him on the fourth line and getting limited ice time is just going to cripple him. It's a waste. Again, if Torts would roll four lines it wouldn't be an issue. Fedotenko can fit on most lines cause of the type of player he is. Dubinsky should be back with Richards and Callahan. Feds in the bottom six and this team should be rolling four lines consistently. I agree with you about Dubi going back to wing and it makes way too much sense to have him there with Cally and Richards.

ruckus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2011, 12:26 PM
KingWantsCup
Super Saiyan Hank

Hagelin better stay cause he makes **** happen with his speed in both real life and NHL 12!

KingWantsCup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2011, 01:02 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingWantsCup View Post
Hagelin better stay cause he makes **** happen with his speed in both real life and NHL 12!
Was he finally added in the most recent roster update? Nice.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2011, 04:32 PM
Riche16
Pessimistic-Realist

I think they both should stay for now. They're patient and smart... They create. Two thumbs up IMHO

Riche16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2011, 04:50 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
Yes, I agree. Really want to see what Hagelin can do with those two.

Fedotenko is a nice player, but, Hagelin's speed and smarts would look good in that spot.
Richards & Callahan know how to dump the puck into the zone effectively... If they can get on the same page as Hagelin, he can take off through the neutral zone and utilize his speed to be the first man to the puck and start setting up possession in the zone...

Old
12-09-2011, 04:56 PM
we want cup
We do not Sow

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingWantsCup View Post
Breakaway central.

RANGERS =
we want cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2011, 05:55 PM
DobHoc

I really hope Hagelin stays and that he get´s more icetime. He takes 2-3 shots at goal at just 8-10 minutes. Imagine what would happen if given more icetime!?

DobHoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2011, 07:12 PM
Machinehead
Purple Hayes

Wouldn't be surprised to see Hagelin go when Wolski and Rupp come back because our coach is a bumbling idiot.

Machinehead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2011, 07:20 PM
TheFatOne
Mr.Negativo

Carl Hagelin reminds me of Fredrik "Fast Freddy" Sjostrom.

TheFatOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2011, 07:41 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by landskronala View Post
Carl Hagelin reminds me of Fredrik "Fast Freddy" Sjostrom.
Not me in the sense that Sjostrom has no nose for the net and below average playmaking ability.... Hagelin's game is more versatile and more well-rounded.

Old
12-09-2011, 08:11 PM
TheFatOne
Mr.Negativo

Quote:
Not me in the sense that Sjostrom has no nose for the net and below average playmaking ability.... Hagelin's game is more versatile and more well-rounded.

Speed.

Grit.

Good defence and penalty killer.

Block shoots.

Swedish.

Big and strong.

TheFatOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2011, 08:15 PM
coz21
Skrillllllz

Hagelin isn't big, he's 5'11. Also Sjostrom is now having a wonderful season in Sweden.

coz21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2011, 08:15 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by landskronala View Post
Speed.

Grit.

Good defence.

Swedish.

Big and strong.
Well nationalities aren't much of a comparison for me because that doesn't translate to certain type of player out on the ice... Carl is also not very big at all, 5'11 175 (Sjostrom is 6'1 218)... He is strong on his skates though.... Good skating, strong PK work, and above average defensively are about the only characteristics I see much of a comparable for. Hagelin much different type of player than Sjostrom in the offensive zone... If Hagelin's play his last 2 years in college translates to the NHL level and the pro game, you're going to have a forward who is a heck of a lot more valuable to his team than a player like Sjostrom has been or could ever be.

Old
12-09-2011, 08:33 PM
PromNite
Armed Android

Send a message via AIM to PromNite
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatCrazyRangerFan View Post
I stay Hagelin staying.
Hmm, you don't stay?

Adam Tensta's from the 163
PromNite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2011, 08:43 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Richards & Callahan know how to dump the puck into the zone effectively... If they can get on the same page as Hagelin, he can take off through the neutral zone and utilize his speed to be the first man to the puck and start setting up possession in the zone...
Exactly my thinking. I think Hagelin would be a great fit in that spot.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2011, 09:51 PM
Vitto79

Quote:
Originally Posted by coz21 View Post
Hagelin isn't big, he's 5'11. Also Sjostrom is now having a wonderful season in Sweden.
sure Sjostrom is doing well in Sweden, its not the NHL

Hagelin will be as good as Korpikoski which I am cool with . I doubt he will be a second liner but a very good 3rd line LW that can kill Penalties and chip in with some offense

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote