HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Feb 8 update posted: Pronger (concussion) likely out for the season

Old
12-09-2011, 12:32 PM
MsWoof

vCash: 500
I think it's time to ask Kimmo for a list of teams he'll play for. He's going to be dead by March. Get some younger dmen in and work towards the next couple of years.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2011, 12:34 PM
BringBackStevens

This is not good

BringBackStevens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2011, 12:36 PM

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
which everyone knows he will overpay for. If he gave up a 1st and a 3rd for Versteeg what does a top 4 defenseman get? Holmgren is going to be held over a barrell for a defenseman and we all know Holmgren will cave in.

Versteeg's in the top 20 for points isn't he? Doesn't seem like bad value at all. Not Homer's fault he was injured or whether Lavy couldn't use him.

Last edited by Beef Invictus: 12-09-2011 at 12:37 PM. Reason: Don't do that
1865 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
COMCASTMONEY
pay ya cable bills.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWoof View Post
I think it's time to ask Kimmo for a list of teams he'll play for. He's going to be dead by March. Get some younger dmen in and work towards the next couple of years.
Ha, absolutely not. This is the Philadelphia Flyers.

COMCASTMONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
PensPlz

Send a message via Skype™ to PensPlz
Pens fan in peace. Terrible news about Pronger. Sucks to see your captain out with a concussion, we know how you feel. You guys have a great team, you'll bounce back. Goodluck. See ya on the 29th!

PensPlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2011, 12:37 PM
brucewaynegretzky

Quote:
The problem is we actually DO have a shot at a cup this year, but only with Timmo. I'll admit that I think there are better teams out there, but overall that's not what it's really about. If Pronger and Schenn came back at the right time and we used the LTIR credits to pickup a solid D-Man I think we could potentially beat any team in the league in a 7 game series. You don't mortgage that kind of opportunity away for the future, especially when you still have solid young talent and a new CBA could potentially give you some sort of out towards your problems, which isn't impossible considering the bargaining power Snider will have come negotiations time as the guy who ponied up the money for the new tv contract.

brucewaynegretzky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2011, 12:39 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

vCash: 156
Eh. I don't see this team beating a healthy Pittsburgh, or Boston. Without Pronger the odds are even slimmer.

wahoowa
All in the Game

Quote:
We're giving up on the season after taking over the #1 spot?

wahoowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Kaktus*

We will probably wait. Pronger was going to be out for next 3-4 weeks anyway.

Smart thing to do right now is do nothing.

What if Bryzgalov plays like Tretyak.....

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2011, 12:40 PM
brucewaynegretzky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Eh. I don't see this team beating a healthy Pittsburgh, or Boston. Without Pronger the odds are even slimmer.
Just because it isn't likely doesn't mean it wouldn't happen. Pittsburgh is good but even healthy I still think they only beat us 65% of the time tops. Same with Boston. Parity, man. Parity. 7 game series depends a lot on luck.

Old
12-09-2011, 12:44 PM
MsWoof

Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoowa View Post
We're giving up on the season after taking over the #1 spot?
Kimmo wears out as the season progresses and he's already shouldering the load this season. He's going to be dead by the time the playoffs roll around.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2011, 12:44 PM
OriginJM
watch out im smart

Our oldest star and supposedly youngest star (hold Giroux) with concussions...

Merry Christmas.

OriginJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2011, 12:47 PM
FightingMajor

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucewaynegretzky View Post
Just because it isn't likely doesn't mean it wouldn't happen. Pittsburgh is good but even healthy I still think they only beat us 65% of the time tops. Same with Boston. Parity, man. Parity. 7 game series depends a lot on luck.
The flyers might beat them in a single game in the regular season, but they match up very poorly with both of those teams in the playoffs. Both are very physical and in a 7 game series, I think they would get worn down.

plus, the odds of any team winning the cup with this many rookies in the lineup is slim. they should focus on the years to come

FightingMajor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2011, 12:47 PM
COMCASTMONEY
pay ya cable bills.

Quote:
Kimmo wears out as the season progresses and he's already shouldering the load this season. He's going to be dead by the time the playoffs roll around.
Then you make a trade to bring him help, rather than getting rid of him...silliest idea I've heard in a while.

And...my god, what the hell is with the "well we won't win the cup so why try" sentiment? You're right, we have no shot unless we bring back Michael ****ing Leighton to play nets, then we're guaranteed at least conference finals. Get outta here with that. Briere/Giroux in the playoffs, all I care about. Make a trade for a solid defender, tighten up the team's defensive play, continue to contend.

Old
12-09-2011, 12:48 PM
RoDu
Shagga likes axes

Quote:
I'd only do this if the team takes a major dump in the second half, kinda like they did in Hitch's last full season

RoDu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2011, 12:54 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoDu View Post
I'd only do this if the team takes a major dump in the second half, kinda like they did in Hitch's last full season
Or in the last two seasons as well.

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2011, 12:57 PM
Damaged Goods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Science View Post
Then you make a trade to bring him help, rather than getting rid of him...silliest idea I've heard in a while.

And...my god, what the hell is with the "well we won't win the cup so why try" sentiment?
You're right, we have no shot unless we bring back Michael ****ing Leighton to play nets, then we're guaranteed at least conference finals. Get outta here with that. Briere/Giroux in the playoffs, all I care about. Make a trade for a solid defender, tighten up the team's defensive play, continue to contend.

Transference of Carter and Richards ********.

Damaged Goods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2011, 01:02 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

So we gave up a lot of picks for Pronger and some decent players in Sbisa and Lupul. Now we have to bleed another batch of assets so soon after stockpiling some from the summer trade. Meanwhile, it looks like we got a one-off trip to the finals and single full season from Pronger.

Holmgren said ask me in a few years if the trade was worth it and so far looks like the answer is no. Of course, who can predict injuries but when a player is the age of Pronger with so many miles on him it's not exactly some big outlier. Yeah he takes care of himself but so does my grandpa.... doesn't change the fact he's 80 years old...

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2011, 01:03 PM
brucewaynegretzky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Science View Post

And...my god, what the hell is with the "well we won't win the cup so why try" sentiment? You're right, we have no shot unless we bring back Michael ****ing Leighton to play nets, then we're guaranteed at least conference finals. Get outta here with that. Briere/Giroux in the playoffs, all I care about. Make a trade for a solid defender, tighten up the team's defensive play, continue to contend.
Agreed. Bottom line is when you're winning as many games as the Flyers are you AREN'T a seller. Period. You deal picks at the deadline to fill whatever holes you have and take your best shot at the playoffs. Boston wasn't the best team in the league last year. Also, keep in mind the Flyers are winning more games by playing hockey than anyone else this year. Just look at the ROW statistic. It's pretty much the sole mechanism I've been using for gauging teams lately. It ONLY includes wins from scoring ACTUAL goals (which are all that matter in the playoffs). Any team leading the league in ROW is capable of beating any other team in a 7 game series, luck permitting.

Old
12-09-2011, 01:03 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damaged Goods View Post
Transference of Carter and Richards ********.
Yeah it's funny how the hens of hell have decended.....

Old
12-09-2011, 01:11 PM
COMCASTMONEY
pay ya cable bills.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucewaynegretzky View Post
Agreed. Bottom line is when you're winning as many games as the Flyers are you AREN'T a seller. Period. You deal picks at the deadline to fill whatever holes you have and take your best shot at the playoffs. Boston wasn't the best team in the league last year. Also, keep in mind the Flyers are winning more games by playing hockey than anyone else this year. Just look at the ROW statistic. It's pretty much the sole mechanism I've been using for gauging teams lately. It ONLY includes wins from scoring ACTUAL goals (which are all that matter in the playoffs). Any team leading the league in ROW is capable of beating any other team in a 7 game series, luck permitting.
Plus, you don't know what injuries other teams are going to have to deal with.

Besides, it's not like "out indefinitely" means "dead." 5 months is a long time. I've said all along, I don't care if Pronger plays a single regular before April.

Old
12-09-2011, 01:11 PM
LePalle

We're first place in the East without much help from either of these guys, and people are really saying we should prepare for the coming years?

I see why they say Philly fans are negative.

LePalle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2011, 01:17 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coutsiephan View Post
So we gave up a lot of picks for Pronger and some decent players in Sbisa and Lupul. Now we have to bleed another batch of assets so soon after stockpiling some from the summer trade. Meanwhile, it looks like we got a one-off trip to the finals and single full season from Pronger.

Holmgren said ask me in a few years if the trade was worth it and so far looks like the answer is no. Of course, who can predict injuries but when a player is the age of Pronger with so many miles on him it's not exactly some big outlier. Yeah he takes care of himself but so does my grandpa.... doesn't change the fact he's 80 years old...
The Finals run Pronger was instrumental in does a lot to help the trade in my book. However, this does make his re-signing and the botching of the 35+ rule look even worse. Ugh.

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2011, 01:19 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton 22 View Post
We're first place in the East without much help from either of these guys, and people are really saying we should prepare for the coming years?

I see why they say Philly fans are negative.
Well without a healthy Pronger and with Timonen getting ridden into the ground like we've always allowed like with Howe and Desjardins..I would say on the back end we do need to plan for contingencies. The D can hold up for now as they are doing but not for much longer. Guys are playing lots of increased minutes like Carle and Timonen. Carle can't sustain his level of play b/c well...he's Carle and Timonen is not a spring chicken obviously. Mesz and Coburn might hold up b/c they are younger but beyond that the immediate future and long term future with the way our D is consituted now is not encouraging. Need to look beyond what is going on now which is great but not likely sustainable.

No matter what, they need to add an impact D man prior to the trade deadline in some way....may have to give up more than we like given the premium on D around the league right now

Old
12-09-2011, 01:27 PM
Lucky Luke

Prongs will be healthy and well rested for when it really counts.

Lucky Luke is offline   Reply With Quote