HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

More moves to come?

Old
12-09-2011, 01:07 PM
RyanBostonRedsox

vCash: 500
More moves to come?

So, I have read a few articles on the internet today regarding the Kaberle for Spacek trade. I have a feeling that there will be a trade or two in the coming weeks, involving Gomez (yeah, believe it) and/or Weber. We have Gorges, Price, Eller, and Subban to name 4 who are free agents after this season, and regardless of if they are RFA's, they are all due for raises, with Price due for millions more. We don't have enough money to resign all of these guys, and I think it is integral for Montreal's future to resign these guys. The point is we don't have enough money to resign these guys with the acquisition Kaberle (unless we are going to send Gomez down to the AHL). Weber is in the doghouse for the Canadiens, and was just a healthy scratch last night, so I would be willing to put money on Weber being dealt. What do you all think?

Edit: Something popped in my head. A reason for acquiring Kaberle is because Plekanec and Kaberle are best friends. Kaberle told Plek to sign in Toronto prior to his last contract renewal.

Last edited by RyanBostonRedsox: 12-09-2011 at 01:24 PM. Reason: Friends
RyanBostonRedsox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2011, 01:17 PM
WhiskeySeven
Give her the Defence

It really depends on the results. If the team wins or performs well for a decent length of time, I think they will seriously consider trading Weber.

Gomez has got to come back, play well and THEN be looked at so don't hold your breath. GMs aren't going to pounce on the guy at all.

WhiskeySeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2011, 01:20 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanBostonRedsox View Post
So, I have read a few articles on the internet today regarding the Kaberle for Spacek trade. I have a feeling that there will be a trade or two in the coming weeks, involving Gomez (yeah, believe it) and/or Weber. We have Gorges, Price, Eller, and Subban to name 4 who are free agents after this season, and regardless of if they are RFA's, they are all due for raises, with Price due for millions more. We don't have enough money to resign all of these guys, and I think it is integral for Montreal's future to resign these guys. The point is we don't have enough money to resign these guys with the acquisition Kaberle (unless we are going to send Gomez down to the AHL). Weber is in the doghouse for the Canadiens, and was just a healthy scratch last night, so I would be willing to put money on Weber being dealt. What do you all think?
I don't see Gauthier trading him when his value is down unless he can get full value back. He costs very little and provides insurance and helps the PP. Send Diaz to Hamilton and see if Campoli and Kaberle help turn thing around.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2011, 01:26 PM
RyanBostonRedsox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
I don't see Gauthier trading him when his value is down unless he can get full value back. He costs very little and provides insurance and helps the PP. Send Diaz to Hamilton and see if Campoli and Kaberle help turn thing around.
Well, although I do agree with you that Diaz will probably be sent down, I don't think Weber gets another chance. He's had a few, he has a 1 way contract, and we have a surplus of defensemen with Campoli coming back. We either trade him or lose him to waivers in an attempt for him going to the AHL.

RyanBostonRedsox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2011, 01:30 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Well, although I do agree with you that Diaz will probably be sent down, I don't think Weber gets another chance. He's had a few, he has a 1 way contract, and we have a surplus of defensemen with Campoli coming back. We either trade him or lose him to waivers in an attempt for him going to the AHL.
Why trade a guy who is young, cheap and NHL ready when you have 3 UFA defensemen this summer?

There is a 3rd option you didn't mention, keep him as a #7-8 guy who can also fill in up front(and on the PP).

Old
12-09-2011, 01:35 PM
Ginu

The only way this makes sense to me is if we have a taker for Gomez in the summer which'll open up the money to sign Price, Gorges, Emelin and Subban.

Ginu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2011, 01:37 PM
FlyingKostitsyn

Quote:
Edit: Something popped in my head. A reason for acquiring Kaberle is because Plekanec and Kaberle are best friends. Kaberle told Plek to sign in Toronto prior to his last contract renewal.
Pleks will like him even more now since Kaberle will replace him at the point

FlyingKostitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2011, 01:39 PM
odishabs

i expect weber and gomez to be out

odishabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2011, 01:39 PM
Le depisteur

http://www.985sports.ca/hockey/nouve...nie-46764.html

Le depisteur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2011, 01:40 PM
Markowicz
Simple Jacques

Weber will be traded for a prospect or pick. This is almost a foregone conclusion.

Markowicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2011, 01:51 PM
Frozenice
the random dude

My guess for Gomez is that he gets picked up by another team on re-entry waivers (like Calgary). I don't agree with the idea of sending him to Hamilton, buying him out or picking up someone else's garbage in exchange for him. We'll save close to $4 million in cap space and we'll be done with his contract in 2 more years after this.

Frozenice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2011, 02:17 PM
Habitant#1

I don't want this management group to make any more moves. Get them out ASAP.

Habitant#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2011, 02:27 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenice View Post
My guess for Gomez is that he gets picked up by another team on re-entry waivers (like Calgary). I don't agree with the idea of sending him to Hamilton, buying him out or picking up someone else's garbage in exchange for him. We'll save close to $4 million in cap space and we'll be done with his contract in 2 more years after this.
Can't see Gomez on re-entry. With a cap hit higher than average salary the Habs won't risk it. If they are going to pay 5 mil and still have 7.35 mil of cap hit they'll send him to Europe and recoup some $$$ and get rid of the whole cap hit(see Huet)

Old
12-09-2011, 02:31 PM
Richiebottles
Big Mike !

Cammy will be traded to washington. I just got the feeling.

Richiebottles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2011, 02:32 PM
smon

Gomez is gone at the end of year or earlier barring some sort of miraculous renaissance or Kaberle being completely done.

smon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2011, 02:37 PM
MathMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingAvtsin View Post
For what? Semin?

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2011, 02:41 PM
smon

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
For what? Semin?
Rental, so no. Hardly a Martin player. Maybe Brooks Laich? Who knows.

I wouldn't trade Cammalleri at this point.

smon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2011, 02:45 PM
neofury*

I have to say if we did Gomez+Overpayment for E. Staal at this point I wouln't be shocked. Both these teams need some major shaking up. Clearly if that were to happen Plek would be gone though.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2011, 02:46 PM
neofury*

Quote:
Wouldn't be shocked if this was the case really. Would probably be for Brooks Laich and not even Semin. I could live with that I guess, our team immediately gains in one area and loses in another but Cammy hasn't exactly been helping us make a case for the post season this year

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2011, 02:48 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
If we're going to trade with Washington, I hope its for Colorado's pick. That's what I'd be willing to pay for.

Unfortunately though, today's patchwork fix signals that this is not the direction the team wants to go. We're insisting on icing teams that aren't good enough to win cups but may be able to limp into the playoffs. That's our raison d'etre now and I don't see it changing anytime soon. We're going to stubbornly cling to the notion that retreads might somehow turn into gold and lead us to the promised land. Meanwhile other clubs are going to continue to leapfrog us.

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2011, 02:51 PM
Frozenice
the random dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Can't see Gomez on re-entry. With a cap hit higher than average salary the Habs won't risk it. If they are going to pay 5 mil and still have 7.35 mil of cap hit they'll send him to Europe and recoup some $$$ and get rid of the whole cap hit(see Huet)
The procedure to make a claim on re-entry waivers is the same; however, teams who claim players on re-entry waivers are only responsible for half the salary and cap hit, while the original team is responsible for the other half.

Montreal will be on the hook for half of Gomez's salary and will have half his cap hit charged against them. I'm not sure exactly what you are talking about.

My feeling is Montreal will give Gomez chance to stay in the NHL and will only send him to Europe or Hamilton if no one wants him.

Frozenice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2011, 02:51 PM
Quarantesix
#Galchenyuk

Gomez will be byebye soon

Quarantesix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2011, 02:53 PM
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by odishabs View Post
i expect weber and gomez to be out
Cammy & Gionta could be dealt too, I would not mind either.

Sick and tired of smallish, unproductive forwards. We have enough of them, and some more in the pipeline like Gallagher and Kristo.

habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2011, 02:59 PM
DougHarvey

Quote:
The they better get at least Alzner or Carlson (dream). Doubt it though

DougHarvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2011, 03:00 PM
Jake5

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
I have to say if we did Gomez+Overpayment for E. Staal at this point I wouln't be shocked. Both these teams need some major shaking up. Clearly if that were to happen Plek would be gone though.

Why would Plek be gone? Staal + Plek would be a great 1-2 punch down the middle

Jake5 is online now   Reply With Quote