HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Tomas Kaberle Traded to Montreal for Jaroslav Spacek

Closed Thread

Old
12-09-2011, 03:55 PM
larek

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGG View Post
I really hate to interrupt the whine fest with some logic and common sense, but here's Kaberle's numbers:

- 13th in NHL for points amongst defensemen with 47 points, ahead of Letang, Goligoski, Chara and many others.
- 10th in the NHL for PP points amongst defensemen with 25 PP points
- 5th in the league amongst defensemen with 43 assists
- 5th in the league including forwards with 25 PP assists

These stats aren't from 3 or 4 years ago, they're from last season, including what everyone is calling a horrid time in Boston.

In 2010-11 only 4 players set up more PP goals then Tomas Kaberle. They are Marty St Louis, Nick Lidstrom, Henrik Sedin and Lubomir Visnovsky. If that's "terrible" on the PP, then sign me up for some of that.

Ignoring the fact that a good chunk of that came in the playoffs, 29 points in almost 82 games outside of Toronto still isn't that bad. That would have been good enough for 47th place in the leage. Really not as terrible as most of you want him to be. Definitely not the numbers of someone who sucks and is "washed up" and "finished".

I hate to say it, but he might actually generate some offense, which this team desperately needs.
the proof will be in the pudding-- if he does really w ell and the team wins (not for a few games but the rest of the season)then i will be first to say the move ended up being a good one- Now if it goes the other way i hopw ther will be no excuses- oh he needed time to mesh! maybe next season LOL

Old
12-09-2011, 03:56 PM
Bill McNeal

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHestah in Maine View Post
What are you talking about with Kaberle's cap hit???
I imagine there's some confusion between what Kaberle's cap hit is and what he is owed for the rest of the season (ie, what our cap is for him this season).

Old
Kirk Muller

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestIslander View Post
Why are you all talking about Gorges leaving and this team not being able to sign anyone else going forward, do any of you know that Kaberle's cap hit is ONLY $2.78 milliondollars per year and that's a lower cap hit than the majority of our players over the age of 28?
more like 4.25 million cap hit

Old
Seb
Unregistered User

Send a message via MSN to Seb
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs4Lyfe View Post
Kaberle will be wearing #22
Me gusta

Old
CrAzYNiNe

Send a message via MSN to CrAzYNiNe
Quote:
Why are you all talking about Gorges leaving and this team not being able to sign anyone else going forward, do any of you know that Kaberle's cap hit is ONLY $2.78 milliondollars per year and that's a lower cap hit than the majority of our players over the age of 28?

Secondly, ONLY Markov and Kaberle are signed for next season and no one else, so how is it possible that we pass up on Gorges who will only make about $3,500,000.00 going forward?

Next season, I see:

Markov - Emelin
Gorges - Subban
XXXXX - Kaberle

XXXXX = Diaz or a UFA defensive defenseman
How do you figure? He signed a 12.75 million for 3 years which is 4.25 a year. This year we owe him ((82-29)/82)*4.25= 2.75 this year. Next year he has a cap hit of 4.25.

This year our cap hit is a total wash. With Markov and Gomez missing significant time, no way we can go over the daily cap. (I am not that accustom to the daily working of the cap hit and how injuries factor in, but with 2 players accounting for over 13 million, we shouldn't have an cap problems this year)

Old
12-09-2011, 03:57 PM
bcv
My french sucks.

Quote:

Secondly, ONLY Markov and Kaberle are signed for next season and no one else, so how is it possible that we pass up on Gorges who will only make about $3,500,000.00 going forward?

Next season, I see:

Markov - Emelin
Gorges - Subban
XXXXX - Kaberle

XXXXX = Diaz or a UFA defensive defenseman
What the **** are you talking about? His cap hit is $4.25M for the next two years.....

Old
12-09-2011, 03:58 PM
NewHabsEra*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk Muller View Post
Chara was put in front of the net if i am not mistaken. Boston also had the third worst PP in the playoffs last year. They allowed more short handed goals then they scored on the PP.
At the start of the last round, Julien indeed played Chara in front of the net but it didnt last long.. Julien kept playing Kaberle with Seidenberg on the first PP wave while Chara was used on the second wave.. Strangely, their PP started to produce and thats the main reason why I think they won the Stanley cup final.. While Chara has the hardest shot in the league, he still isnt the most mobile defenseman out there to run a PP, the puck wasnt cycling fast enough IMO.. You could clearly see the change when Kaberle and Seidenberg were reunited on the PP1..

Old
12-09-2011, 03:59 PM
Whitesnake
Year of the Snake

Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 View Post
The Bruins got abused in that Kaberle trade yet everyone applauded Chiarelli for it at the time.

It doesn't really matter what the Habs do, mainstream media is ALWAYS going to rip them for it. Look at how they ripped the habs for signing Erik Cole and other than Brad Richards, there hasn't been a better UFA signing IMO...but you'll never get those who ripped Gauthier to admit that

please
Problem is that it was pretty much not known as to how Kaberle would suck at the time. But as far as we're concerned, we had the "pleasure" of knowing it while watching him with the Bruins. And then by watching him with the Canes.

As far as admitting the good moves, well that's just not true. Everybody from english to french are saying that it was a good move. Just heard Bobby Dollas 2 minutes ago saying that he didn't think Cole would be good but he's eating his crow right now. Problem is that the day you start to be in a negative spiral, unfortunately, your good moves might be harder to see. And frankly, every coach and GM who were fired, minus Houle and Milbury.....have all done their share of good moves. It didn't make them keep their job.

I mean what do people expect in here? You hear a shocker like that, and we should fill up the thread with "We will see"? Well no need to have a thread for it then. 'Cause from the ones who hate the trade, to the ones who love it, EVERYBODY WILL HAVE TO SEE. That's just how it goes in life. No need to be reminded of it. And you know what will change the perception of how a GM and coach are? Winning. Chiarelli looked awful with his Kaberle deal....who cares right? They won that little silver cup. Yet, if Colborne happens to be the next Getzlaf, if Boston don't do well in the next 3, 4, 5 years, you'll hear Boston fans bashing Chiarelli. That's the freakin nature of the job. Reason why it's not for everybody.

Last edited by Whitesnake: 12-09-2011 at 04:04 PM.
Old
12-09-2011, 04:04 PM
guest1467

I don't see any reasons to not like this trade...

You guys are acting like $4.2 million for a defensemen is a lot of money.

Old
Kirk Muller

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHabsEra View Post
At the start of the last round, Julien indeed played Chara in front of the net but it didnt last long.. Julien kept playing Kaberle with Seidenberg on the first PP wave while Chara was used on the second wave.. Strangely, their PP started to produce and thats the main reason why I think they won the Stanley cup final.. While Chara has the hardest shot in the league, he still isnt the most mobile defenseman out there to run a PP, the puck wasnt cycling fast enough IMO.. You could clearly see the change when Kaberle and Seidenberg were reunited on the PP1..
It didnt start to produce which made Boston win the Cup!!! It was the third worst PP in the post season last year. Only behind two teams with first round exits. If anything, Bostons trip to finals was hindered by their PP and made it harder for them to win it.

Their shorthanded play was more of a factor then their PP.

Its laughable you think such a brutal PP was the major factor of winning the cup.

Old
LesHabsRock

Well, if anything, there's potential to improve our PP. He's also bigger than Spacek and 4 years younger. So, the habs just got bigger and younger.

Old
12-09-2011, 04:05 PM
Habitants

my god you ppl are hilarious. i cannot believe the negative reaction to this move.

ppl %$#% because the PP sucks they cry for PG to make a move make a trade. then he does and you all hate it.

Spacek is the player that has received the most hate ever since his signing. comments made about him: "he was old, he was slow, no good, buy him out, send him to minors, trade him..."

now we trade him for kaberle and you still @#%#$@

it seems fans are never happy with anything.

IMO this is a good trade.

we give up spacek who basically contributed a very minor amount and get back Kaberle who has the potential to revive our pp.

Kaberle is younger
he is a faster skater and can move the puck well
he brings experience to our blue line that was desperately lacking, including a Stanley cup last season

now granted he has not been the same kaberle that used to play for the leafs and he does come with a contract engagement for 4.25 million over 2 more seasons, but in terms of NOW this is a positive move.

as for the contract well YOU cannot predict what will happen in the future. maybe more moves will come. there is plenty of time to prepare for next season later. many things can happen tradces buyouts etc.

overall i like this move and look forward to seeing kaberle and how he will play with the Habs.

Old
12-09-2011, 04:05 PM
habs86

vCash: 50
Send a message via MSN to habs86 Send a message via Yahoo to habs86
Cant say I hate this trade, but cant say I love it either.
What are the chances that there could be a trade coming that will include multi players ?
I think PG needs to go and that JM has to let the boys play thier game (speed, offence).

Old
12-09-2011, 04:07 PM
LastRide

Kaberle is fooken garbage. PG is and the rest of the gang need to go. He's trying to bankrupt the Habs with horrible contracts with players that suck.

Old
VO5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary320 View Post
As Per Darren Dregger on Twitter.
Kaberle is not as bad as some are saying. Do not judge this trade based on your cap issues right now, they can be fixed imo.....

He is soft but most puck moving D are...

I think this is one of a few moves, that Montreal will make before the season is done.

I predict you guys will love him for his offensive ability.... The canes are a far worse team than Montreal so he will already be surrounded by a stronger supporting cast. furthermore he was gutted imo after being traded to Boston last year and it was all new to him.... you know, not being in the playoffs for so many years.

keep your heads up. cheers

Old
Jee
@DeuxiemeJumeau

Quote:
Originally Posted by PyrettaBlaze View Post
What a joke. First we take on arguably the worst contract in the league (Gomez), and now this? GM's around the league are probably laughing at us right now.

http://aol.sportingnews.com/nhl/stor...-tomas-kaberle

I SHOULD HAVE KNOWN BETTER!!! Rutherford actually ADMITS that the contract is a ****ing disaster and yet Gauthier goes out and gets him anyway. I'm so tired of this ********.
Honestly, I'd be worried as **** if I was a Canes fan. Knowing that my GM doesn't know **** about what he's doing.

Oh well, I've been a PG defender for quite a while, but he's starting to get on my nerves.

Old
12-09-2011, 04:09 PM
Habitants

im going to be laughing in a couple weeks when ppl make "kaberle appreciation" threads...

Old
12-09-2011, 04:09 PM
Whitesnake
Year of the Snake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habitants View Post
my god you ppl are hilarious. i cannot believe the negative reaction to this move.

ppl %$#% because the PP sucks they cry for PG to make a move make a trade. then he does and you all hate it.
Just maybe because he didn't prove he could help the PP in Boston and in Carolina? Hey, if he does, great move. If he reduces the number of defensive blunders, it's a steal. Thing is the odds are not on his favour. But we've seen stranger things.....

Old
12-09-2011, 04:11 PM
phoque taupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougHarvey View Post
No we don't . They all closed down. We have Poutine though.
there's one in greenfield park..

its not far from complex bell :p

Old
12-09-2011, 04:11 PM
Gabe84
Bring back Bonk!

I'm really happy that Kaberle will be wearing a Habs sweater. I wish his cap was better though. I've always been a big fan of his. I'm ready to give him a chance and some time to get used to our system. I hope fans won't be too quick to lash out at him.

That said, if this move doesn't pay off in the next few months, Gauthier has got to go.

Old
12-09-2011, 04:12 PM
larek

Quote:

Spacek is the player that has received the most hate ever since his signing. comments made about him: "he was old, he was slow, no good, buy him out, send him to minors, trade him..."

now we trade him for kaberle and you still @#%#$@

it seems fans are never happy with anything.

IMO this is a good trade.

we give up spacek who basically contributed a very minor amount and get back Kaberle who has the potential to revive our pp.

Kaberle is younger
he is a faster skater and can move the puck well
he brings experience to our blue line that was desperately lacking, including a Stanley cup last season

now granted he has not been the same kaberle that used to play for the leafs and he does come with a contract engagement for 4.25 million over 2 more seasons, but in terms of NOW this is a positive move.

as for the contract well YOU cannot predict what will happen in the future. maybe more moves will come. there is plenty of time to prepare for next season later. many things can happen tradces buyouts etc.

overall i like this move and look forward to seeing kaberle and how he will play with the Habs.
we wuill see how much you like it 10-15-20 games from now !!
while no one knows how it will turn out yet- looking at tthe situation with Kaberle the last few years and habs situation now- i wouldnt bet alot on Kaberle being a big help!

Old
12-09-2011, 04:13 PM
Whitesnake
Year of the Snake

If Kaberle and Gomez go on a breakway together....who shoots?

Old
12-09-2011, 04:14 PM
neofury*

Quote:
im going to be laughing in a couple weeks when ppl make "kaberle appreciation" threads...
At the end of the day I just care about results. If Kaberle contributes to our teams success I will gladly eat crow. Even though right now I don't like the trade if it works out I'll be happy. I'm not like some around here who would rather the team fail so they can be right.

But man does this trade look bad right now. If he can return to form PG will look like a genius, because come PO time if we're in the race...

Markov-Emelin
Subban-Gorges
Kaberle-Campoli
Gill
(Double shift Moen on the 4th line.. it's 5 minutes more a game)

Ex: Diaz, Weber, St-Denis

A good lineup with good depth. However if it fails and Kaberle isn't even as good as Weber/Diaz somehow... god help this team. Gauthier will for sure be fired.

I don't like the trade it looks bad on the surface, it's almost like we just replaced Spacek with a future Spacek signed. However if it works out I will eat some crow and I hope I do.

Old
12-09-2011, 04:15 PM
That Habs Fan
drive for 25's alive

vCash: 400
glad to see some level heads posting as the day wears on

this is a pretty good move IMO.

Cam-Plek-AK
Subban-Kaberle

Patches-DD-Cole
Emelin-Diaz

Those are two strong powerplay units if you ask me

Old
12-09-2011, 04:15 PM
larek

Quote:
or you will feel like a real dufus- probably wont see you on here for a while and if you show up you will come up with some of those good old excuses!- maybe a few new ones! LOL-

Closed Thread