HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Best and Worst Vancouver media guy past or present

Old
12-08-2011, 07:51 AM
thehockeyfanatic

vCash: 500
Botchford is the worst by a big margin for me. Alot of others may be more stupid than him but he adds to the list a complete lack of credibility and professionalism.

He was the one who wrote the story about Gaborik buying a house in Vancouver and how it was a done deal that he would sign to play alongside Demitra.

Last year on TSN he was critical of Getzlaf's decision to stay with the team when his wife was pregnant and about to give birth to their child because they were in a tight playoff race. He said missing the playoffs isn't as big as missing your child's birth. Whether you agree with that or not is irrelevant a comment like that should not be fair game especially when his platform was a thirty second clip on TSN's That's Hockey a national platform with alot of reach.

I don't have the time to keep tabs on every sport's journalist that closely but I"m sure if I followed Botchford's career with more zealous the mountain of reasons to hate that slimy ******* would only get bigger.

thehockeyfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2011, 10:23 AM
kevinsane
Lundqvist clone.

I'm trying to watch highlights on Sportsnet Pacific, and it's been 29 minutes of coverage on the MLSE restructuring and Bell and Rogers working together. Nothing but talk on how it all affects the Toronto sports scene.

I get that the same broadcast is shown in all four SN markets, but this is just nauseating. It's only news in Ontario.

kevinsane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2011, 10:40 AM
crazycanuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinsane View Post
I'm trying to watch highlights on Sportsnet Pacific, and it's been 29 minutes of coverage on the MLSE restructuring and Bell and Rogers working together. Nothing but talk on how it all affects the Toronto sports scene.

I get that the same broadcast is shown in all four SN markets, but this is just nauseating. It's only news in Ontario.
It's national news, I'm sorry as much dislike/hate there is for Toronto and the Leafs, they are a national brand. It is also a deal involving the major owners of the two largest sports tv/radio brands in Canada. This is a HUGE story that has national implications.

Rogers Arena? Canucks play in an arena owned by the owners of the Leafs!?!
Whitecaps sponsored by the owners of TFC!?!
Two media companies now are the bosses of Brian Burke and Ron Wilson
Bell also owns part of the Canadiens.
TSN and Sportsnet are in the middle of a major battle for our viewership and listenership.

crazycanuck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2011, 11:16 AM
kevinsane
Lundqvist clone.

You're absolutely right. I just wanted the F'in HIGHLIGHTS!

Old
12-09-2011, 11:52 AM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by KahunaBaby View Post
Back in the day Dan Russell was pretty good but he is at least ten years past his shelf life.
Heck I'd argue this:

Best Vancouver media guy past: Dan Russell

Worst Vancouver media guy present: Dan Russell

Barney Gumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2011, 04:12 PM
LeftCoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazycanuck View Post
It's national news, I'm sorry as much dislike/hate there is for Toronto and the Leafs, they are a national brand. It is also a deal involving the major owners of the two largest sports tv/radio brands in Canada. This is a HUGE story that has national implications.

Rogers Arena? Canucks play in an arena owned by the owners of the Leafs!?!
Whitecaps sponsored by the owners of TFC!?!
Two media companies now are the bosses of Brian Burke and Ron Wilson
Bell also owns part of the Canadiens.
TSN and Sportsnet are in the middle of a major battle for our viewership and listenership.
Rogers only owns the naming rights.

LeftCoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2011, 04:39 PM
crazycanuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoast View Post
Rogers only owns the naming rights.
That's what I was intending to write, dammit didn't have enough coffee before writing that post.

crazycanuck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2011, 09:55 PM
Ogie Goldthorpe
Piloted Ogre Hog

Annis Stukus.

Honestly, I can barely remember if he was good or bad. IIRC, he generally came across as a cranky old guy... although in his defense, we sucked pretty bad during his tenure.

But, he had the best Vancouver sports media name ever; at least until Farhan Lalji.

Last edited by Ogie Goldthorpe: 12-09-2011 at 10:02 PM.
Ogie Goldthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2011, 10:50 PM
kammyBlazer*

if Dan Russell counts, then him. That guys a ****ing retard

kammyBlazer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2011, 11:36 PM
VeteranNetPresence
Hey, Orpheus!

dan russell calls it like it is whether you like or not. i could do without some of the canuck puppets on 1040

VeteranNetPresence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2011, 11:56 PM
putridgasbag
Grand Poohba

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlo604 View Post
THE WORST:
Jason Botchford
JOHN GARRETT.

I wanna slap his moustache off half the time. He's so biased it's retarded. YOU SUCKED AS A GOALIE GARRETT AND YOU STILL SUCK.
Except he really didn't suck as a goalie. He is and always will be the WHA's winningest goalie.

putridgasbag is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2011, 12:46 AM
whuttheeperson

I don't like any media guy who is overly negative and bitter *cough*almost everybody*cough*

on a positive note I was driving on Cornwall the other day and I saw Jim Robson going into a restaurant, yelled out a "Jimmmaaayy" from the window of my car, gave him a wave and a smile, he gave me them both back, what a boss

YOU KNOW HE'LL PLAY!!!!!!!

whuttheeperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2011, 10:47 AM
Bruizer99

Quote:
Originally Posted by whuttheeperson View Post
I don't like any media guy who is overly negative and bitter *cough*almost everybody*cough*

on a positive note I was driving on Cornwall the other day and I saw Jim Robson going into a restaurant, yelled out a "Jimmmaaayy" from the window of my car, gave him a wave and a smile, he gave me them both back, what a boss

YOU KNOW HE'LL PLAY!!!!!!!
How awesome would that be to hear him place an order at a restaurant.

Bruizer99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2011, 10:59 PM
Uncle Rotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogie Goldthorpe View Post
Annis Stukus.

Honestly, I can barely remember if he was good or bad. IIRC, he generally came across as a cranky old guy... although in his defense, we sucked pretty bad during his tenure.
There was his memorable legal dispute with actor Paul Kligman (Wayne & Schuster)

Quote:
No stranger to controversy, Kligman ignited a national furor over his futile attempts at resuscitating the Toronto Balmy Beach football club in the 1960s. Kligman sued erstwhle partner Annis Stukus for breach of contract and Stukus countersued.

While they ultimately settled out of court, Kligman would not let the matter rest, and wrote the immortal homoerotic poem, "Stukus."

ANNIS STUKUS

ANUS TUCHUS

TWAS HEAVEN TO RIDE YOU.

MY BLISS WAS INSIDE YOU.

HOW COULD YOU GIVE ME CRABS?

Canadian poet Irving Layton hailed the "raw, brutal power" of "Stukus," claiming it a "powerful antidote to the vapidity of the Beat poets" and "a classic example of Semitic shrewdness."

Kligman died aged 62 at Toronto's North York General Hospital following heart failure. His epitaph reads:

STUKUS LIED,

KLIGMAN DIED.[2][3]
http://instapedia.com/m/Paul_Kligman

Uncle Rotter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 07:32 PM
kevinsane
Lundqvist clone.

Patterson commented that Pronger's done for the year, but then added that that was said about Manny last year.

Totally comparable. My God.

Old
12-15-2011, 11:25 PM
RonTugnutt
Kesler is washed up

vCash: 448
Hearing about Taylor's "Christmas Shindig" yesterday, just curious if Pratt makes an appearance at a party that will be littered with TEAM1040 people. Was the invite extended? Does Pratt show up in leather pants?

RonTugnutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2011, 12:18 AM
IComeInPeace

Quote:
Originally Posted by putridgasbag View Post
Except he really didn't suck as a goalie. He is and always will be the WHA's winningest goalie.
Joe Daley is the WHA's all time winningest goalie (167 wins).

IComeInPeace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2011, 12:26 AM
IComeInPeace

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeteranNetPresence View Post
dan russell calls it like it is whether you like or not. i could do without some of the canuck puppets on 1040
He calls it "like he sees it"; not "like it is"
He's the exact opposite of John Garrett.
John wears 'rose colored' glasses when commenting on anything related to the 'Nucks.
But, Dan on the other hand has had someone whipe their bottom with his shades and can not help but see the world (and everything Canuck related) accordingly.

IComeInPeace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 11:01 AM
apuckalypsenow

Any hockey any where rules

Last edited by apuckalypsenow: 12-23-2011 at 06:45 AM.
apuckalypsenow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 05:54 PM
Easton Fection

Not a fan of matthew sakaris... I find most of the hosts on 1040 are way to subjective.. and don't reasonably entertain other peoples' opinions.

Easton Fection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 06:21 PM
lemairefan

It's been almost a year since this thread ended, so it might be good for updating.

For me, it's Matt Sekeres by a country mile. I'm waiting for Blake Price to reach across and punch his lights out during a broadcast. I usually have them on at lunchtime only, after switching over from NW after the noon news and listening to Rick Quinton botching the answer to "When was the first Grey Cup game played?" a few weeks ago. Hint: This year was the 100th anniversary

Anyhow, back to Sekeres: the extent of his siding against Bettman and the owners is mind-boggling. He completely lacks the skill of critical thinking that is necessary for someone to be working as an on-air personality. Unlike Pratt - who clearly plays the devil's advocate at times - Sekeres comes across as the guy in school who won't shut up and is left talking to the wall, and won't even stop that.

Today, he and Blake were talking about possible contraction of franchises and the subsequent loss of 30 jobs for NHL players. Sekeres had no understanding of how it could be argued that the union should bear some of the cost with keeping bad franchises alive as it was in the members' best interests. He didn't understand why franchises like Columbus felt it necessary to give out exorbitant free agent contracts to players like James Wisniewski (many players don't want to play in that market, unless there is a carrot). It was a BAD idea to give him a regular slot between the hrs of 4AM and 3AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easton Fection View Post
Not a fan of matthew sakaris... I find most of the hosts on 1040 are way to subjective.. and don't reasonably entertain other peoples' opinions.

lemairefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 08:25 PM
VanCanucks14

They all suck. I miss Tom Larscheid a ton. He was super crazy and passionate but always told it like it was. He was the voice of the fans. Hughson, Robson and Shorty are all great but they just call the game so I don't count them as media guys. As far as talk show hosts and whatnot it's all pretty weak here.

Team 1040, especially since Gillis got hired I feel has gotten so bland. No one is allowed to say anything bad about the players and management. It's boring to listen to when all they do is suck up to the Canucks.

VanCanucks14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 08:40 PM
YogiCanucks

Who would you take between Hughson and Shorty calling games?

YogiCanucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2012, 12:12 AM
JetsAlternate

Quote:
Originally Posted by YogiCanucks View Post
Who would you take between Hughson and Shorty calling games?
Shorthouse. He doesn't seem to take himself as seriously as Hughson, and the pace of his play-by-play generally corresponds with the pace of the action. If an event is occurring at high speed, Shorty will start to call the play very quickly, adding to the intensity of the moment. I enjoy his banter with his color commentator during game broadcasts, and I find pitch of his voice to be much more appealing than Hughson's deeper, less varied inflections.

Last edited by JetsAlternate: 12-08-2012 at 12:19 AM.
JetsAlternate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2012, 12:29 AM
Royal Canuck
Go Canucks Go!

I don't get the Team 1040 very well where I live, I mostly listen to CFAX 1070 for Canucks talk when it's on, although some stuff from 1040 gets leaked onto 1070.

There's nothing I hate more than hearing Nick Kypreos and Doug MacLean whine and argue for 10 minutes on Sportsnet.

Twitter |HFBoards Contact | Blog
PSN - TBennz
"You're never a loser until you quit trying. " - Mike Ditka
Royal Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote