HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Tampa Bay Lightning
Notices

12/8/11 - 7:00PM EDT - Tampa Bay @ New York Rangers

Closed Thread

Old
12-09-2011, 10:44 AM
Benders Lindyhop

vCash: 500
Cannot believe how many people on the main boards think that Stamkos should be suspended for his part in the brawl. How many shots has that kid taken to the chops that haven't even been penalized? Unreal.

Old
12-09-2011, 10:53 AM
TheDaysOf 04
Rated [SFY]

Quote:
Originally Posted by albatross View Post
Cannot believe how many people on the main boards think that Stamkos should be suspended for his part in the brawl. How many shots has that kid taken to the chops that haven't even been penalized? Unreal.
In the words of Crosby, "...if he’s going to do that, he should be ready to expect a response and like I said, that’s a hockey scrum and he should expect that if he wants to play that way...I go in a scrum and I get punched in the head. I accept that. I’m going in a scrum, that’s part of the game....he’s got to expect that guys are going to get hands in his face..."

Old
12-09-2011, 12:07 PM
Doctor Drej
Unregistered User

Quote:
Welcome to HF.

Old
12-09-2011, 12:23 PM
Benders Lindyhop

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Downie View Post
Welcome to HF.
You would think I would know better by now

Old
12-09-2011, 12:31 PM
zeykshade

They have to make up things to hate Stamkos for. He's not nearly as hate-able as other stars. Seriously, even without the money and fame, he's the kind of guy you hope your daughter meets in college. Tyler Seguin? Not so much.

Old
12-09-2011, 12:52 PM
Hockeyfan02

I don't even bother with the main boards much anymore. Most of the people who criticize the Lightning for their reaction would be singing a different tune if it happened to their team.

Old
12-09-2011, 01:45 PM
JedYzerman

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeykshade View Post
They have to make up things to hate Stamkos for. He's not nearly as hate-able as other stars. Seriously, even without the money and fame, he's the kind of guy you hope your daughter meets in college. Tyler Seguin? Not so much.
He would show up late to the date anyways.

Old
12-09-2011, 03:44 PM
Sear91

Anisimov apologizes to the Lightning http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/lightn...al-celebration

Old
12-09-2011, 04:17 PM
TheDaysOf 04
Rated [SFY]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sear91 View Post
Anisimov apologizes to the Lightning http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/lightn...al-celebration
Quote:
Lecavalier said he spoke to Rangers center and former Lightning teammate Brad Richards after the game. He said Richards told him Anisimov got a talking to by some of his teammates.

"I don't think their team was really impressed with that," Lecavalier said.
That's good to know. You can see the difference in a veteran team like the Rangers that don't like that type of stuff and a very young team like Edmonton, although the 2 goals are separate and a little different instances.

Old
12-09-2011, 04:29 PM
Mr Atoz*
I hid the Atavachron

Here's what I posted on our board:

On the last day of the regular season last year, Tampa was playing for nothing against the Hurricanes who were playing for everything. We were all rooting for Tampa with everything we had. They annihilated the Hurricanes and put us in the playoffs. Word was that they did it for Tortorella as a good will gesture.

After the Rangers were knocked out of the playoffs most of us (including me) adopted the Lightning as our surrogate team. I rarely do that. I much more root against teams than root for them other than the Rangers.

But here was a feel good Cinderella story that made it to within one game of the finals.

Last night Anisimov did a stupid thing. It didn't have to blow up in his face but it did. One of the reasons that I don't watch football anymore is that moronic staged celebrations are more important to the empty headed players than winning.

If someone did what Anisimov did to the Rangers we'd want to kick his a**. Even so, not much happened. Yet most people here seemed to jump on the same team that they were in love with 6 months ago calling them low class jerks. I'm not talking about Steve Downie. He's a mental case that doesn't belong in hockey. And giving Anisimov 14 minutes for not fighting is outright cheating by the refs.

But show a little class when you call someone else out for not having class, eh?

Old
12-09-2011, 04:33 PM
Going Back to Cally
Sons of Pirates

vCash: 169
Downie has been one of the better players in the locker room and Konopka called him the best teammate he's ever had. Hardly a mental case.

12-09-2011, 04:46 PM
TheDaysOf 04
Rated [SFY]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Atoz View Post
Here's what I posted on our board:

On the last day of the regular season last year, Tampa was playing for nothing against the Hurricanes who were playing for everything. We were all rooting for Tampa with everything we had. They annihilated the Hurricanes and put us in the playoffs. Word was that they did it for Tortorella as a good will gesture.

After the Rangers were knocked out of the playoffs most of us (including me) adopted the Lightning as our surrogate team. I rarely do that. I much more root against teams than root for them other than the Rangers.

But here was a feel good Cinderella story that made it to within one game of the finals.

Last night Anisimov did a stupid thing. It didn't have to blow up in his face but it did. One of the reasons that I don't watch football anymore is that moronic staged celebrations are more important to the empty headed players than winning.

If someone did what Anisimov did to the Rangers we'd want to kick his a**. Even so, not much happened. Yet most people here seemed to jump on the same team that they were in love with 6 months ago calling them low class jerks. I'm not talking about Steve Downie. He's a mental case that doesn't belong in hockey. And giving Anisimov 14 minutes for not fighting is outright cheating by the refs.

But show a little class when you call someone else out for not having class, eh?
To me, there's nothing wrong with the amount of penalty minutes Anisimov got. If the NHL doesn't like players making cut throat gestures like the one Nick Boynton got suspended for, I can see why they wouldn't like a player pretending to shoot a gun in the direction of an opposing player. I think if he didn't aim it towards the Lightning goal, there might not have even been a scrum.

Old
12-09-2011, 05:49 PM
Felonious Python
Purple Squirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDaysOf 04 View Post
To me, there's nothing wrong with the amount of penalty minutes Anisimov got. If the NHL doesn't like players making cut throat gestures like the one Nick Boynton got suspended for, I can see why they wouldn't like a player pretending to shoot a gun in the direction of an opposing player. I think if he didn't aim it towards the Lightning goal, there might not have even been a scrum.
Interestingly, Stammer thought it was aimed at Vinny.

I was feeling there was an undercurrent of anger building among the players. It didn't really matter what the spark of it was, so long as there was one, and Anisimov definitely delivered. Clutch.

Even if Anisimov had aimed at the sky like Selanne did, I think there still would have been a scrum to some degree. At least the next time Anisimov was on the ice.

That's the thing a lot of people don't understand. They think in the context of what did happen, the Lightning may have over responded with the degree of nastiness they showed. That frustration had been building. They played with an edge for the rest of the game, which was good to see.

The Lightning need to get that the league, and the the powers that be, are trying to set them up for failure, and use that as motivation.

Last edited by Felonious Python: 12-09-2011 at 06:08 PM.
Old
12-09-2011, 05:55 PM
Doctor Drej
Unregistered User

Someone over on BP pointed out that the HBO cameras were there. Probably had a lot more to do with it than we think. Anisimov probably thought he'd try and do something out of the norm as a result and it blew up in his face.

I still laugh everytime I see Anisimov's reaction when he sees Vinny charging towards him. Like "Aww ****..".

Old
12-09-2011, 05:59 PM
MrMcGz

Great game last nIght, I almost missed it.

Its nice to see the emotional response by the Captain. I think this will be a valuable bonding experience for this team.

Just like last year, and due to their style of play, this team needs a little extra time to gel.

With MSL out indefinitely this is another motivating factor for these guys to bond and play for each other.

Time to go on a little run here to keep pace with The Panthers.

Old
12-09-2011, 06:05 PM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyfan02 View Post
I don't even bother with the main boards much anymore. Most of the people who criticize the Lightning for their reaction would be singing a different tune if it happened to their team.
The Lightning did the correct thing under the circumstances and handled it well.

Old
12-09-2011, 06:28 PM
snowden
Man is matter

I feel like it's all over now. It happened and everyone has moved on.

Old
12-09-2011, 09:32 PM
TheDaysOf 04
Rated [SFY]

https://twitter.com/#!/LightningTimes
Quote:
Lightning GM Yzerman spoke with NHL's Shanahan about Steve Downie's part in Thurs fracas with NY's Anisimov. Believes Downie could be fined.

Old
12-10-2011, 03:50 AM
LightningStrikes
SFY

vCash: 133
Quote:
erlendssontrib Erik Erlendsson
Sounds like Steve Downie will be hit with a fine for coming off on a legal line change to join an altercation, but no suspension
https://twitter.com/#!/erlendssontrib

Old
12-10-2011, 07:16 AM
Benders Lindyhop

Fraser explaining on TSN why Downie shouldn't get a 10 game suspension:

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=382354

Quote:
It is my opinion that Steve Downie did not violate the spirit of the rule and should not be suspended for 10 games.

Understand that the intent of this rule was crafted to eliminate bench clearing brawls - plain but not so simple. The consequences of violating rule 70 (10-game suspension) is the second most severe in the rule book behind rule 40 - Physical Abuse of Officials - category 1 (20 game suspension).

The letter of the rules clashes with the intent. It's the intent and spirit of the rule that I want to apply in this case even though I don't think that Steve Downie should necessarily escape with a free pass.

Old
12-10-2011, 11:10 AM
LightningStrikes
SFY

vCash: 133
Quote:
Fraser explaining on TSN why Downie shouldn't get a 10 game suspension:

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=382354
I guess we all agree with him. Downie didn't start the scrum. At one point Fraser is wrong though: He's arguing Downie came on the ice as an replacement for Connolly who was limping off the ice. But Downie replaced Moore (who replaced Connolly) after the goal was scored and the play was dead just after the altercation had started. I guess that's why people expect at least a fine for Downie.

Old
12-10-2011, 03:47 PM
LoSTRaMaiR

I think the celebration was disrespectful, and i thought a 2 min unsportsmanlike conduct would have been fine. Not worthy of a suspension in my opinion. Downie came on legally i thought. Also not suspenion worthy. Shanahan is doing a horrible job dishing out suspensions. I thought Max Pacioretty suspension was a slap in the face, i don't even like that team. Heaven help the next person who injures Crosby, they will probably never play again. What dirt do you think the Bruins have on the commisioner? They seem to have a lot of get out of jail free cards

Closed Thread