HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Notices

Jagr to Wings at Trade Deadline

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-09-2011, 09:59 PM
  #1
Jtown
Registered User
 
Jtown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Fairfax, Virginia
Posts: 8,863
vCash: 539
Jagr to Wings at Trade Deadline

Gentleman I just want to through out a proposal and my logic behind it.

Lets say as the season wares on the flyers realize this is not there year and look to trade away some players. And one of those players that becomes available is Jagr. How much would he be worth to the Wings.


Wings are built to win now and need to capitalize on this current group of talent they have. As the years go by Datsyuk and zetterberg and Franzen will be further away from there prime and Lidstrom may actually decide to retire.

Adding Jagr to your top 6 would be deadly and could make you clear favorites out west.

But lets say Chicago, and Vancouver two rivals , are in the mix as well. Would you step up your efforts By offering Brendan Smith?

Especially if Chicago was offering Leddy, and Vancouver was offering a similar package.

Jtown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2011, 10:03 PM
  #2
Systemfel
Global Moderator
Hockey Talk by Country
 
Systemfel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Gothenburg
Country: Sweden
Posts: 8,402
vCash: 50
Definitely not.

Systemfel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2011, 10:03 PM
  #3
Sentinel
Registered User
 
Sentinel's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 2,301
vCash: 500
I say: "Get him." Jagr is Jagr.

Sentinel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2011, 10:06 PM
  #4
WingedWheel1987
Ken Holland's office
 
WingedWheel1987's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: GPP Michigan
Posts: 7,371
vCash: 500
Finally realizing that that Pronger is done and will continue to be injured for the remainder of his very long contract?

Hell no to that horrible trade.

A future 1st or worst case second pairing D-man for Jagr?

There is no way on Earth that any team would offer a top pairing defensive prospect for Jagr.

WingedWheel1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2011, 10:06 PM
  #5
Fugu
Administrator
HFBoards
 
Fugu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Pac NW
Posts: 27,922
vCash: 500
Brendan Smith for a rental? An over the hill vet to boot?



Let's see if I can do this right: "Holland hangs up the phone, pulls it out the wall, and launches it out his window. It's then doused in kerosene and set aflame."

Fugu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2011, 10:07 PM
  #6
Harnessed in Slums
Registered User
 
Harnessed in Slums's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: In the Garage
Posts: 8,758
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtown View Post
Gentleman I just want to through out a proposal and my logic behind it.

Lets say as the season wares on the flyers realize this is not there year and look to trade away some players. And one of those players that becomes available is Jagr. How much would he be worth to the Wings.


Wings are built to win now and need to capitalize on this current group of talent they have. As the years go by Datsyuk and zetterberg and Franzen will be further away from there prime and Lidstrom may actually decide to retire.

Adding Jagr to your top 6 would be deadly and could make you clear favorites out west.

But lets say Chicago, and Vancouver two rivals , are in the mix as well. Would you step up your efforts By offering Brendan Smith?

Especially if Chicago was offering Leddy, and Vancouver was offering a similar package.
Oh please send him to Chicago or Vancouver! Seriously, we are not sending our one legit defenseman prospect for an over the hill forward. Jagr will be well over the hill long before Datsyuk, Zetterberg or Franzen. Ville Leino worked out well for you guys, so you should consider that as being a solid we did for your boys.

Harnessed in Slums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2011, 10:10 PM
  #7
Jtown
Registered User
 
Jtown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Fairfax, Virginia
Posts: 8,863
vCash: 539
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fugu View Post
Brendan Smith for a rental? An over the hill vet to boot?



Let's see if I can do this right: "Holland hangs up the phone, pulls it out the wall, and launches it out his window. It's then doused in kerosene and set aflame."
That is fine, then you lose out on him to chicago who feels leddy is worth it.

Sharpe Toews Jagr
Hossa Kane Brunette


Im sure you guys can match up with that.

Jtown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2011, 10:10 PM
  #8
Harnessed in Slums
Registered User
 
Harnessed in Slums's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: In the Garage
Posts: 8,758
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sentinel View Post
I say: "Get him." Jagr is Jagr.
So says the guy with the Fedorov avatar.

Harnessed in Slums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2011, 10:12 PM
  #9
Harnessed in Slums
Registered User
 
Harnessed in Slums's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: In the Garage
Posts: 8,758
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtown View Post
That is fine, then you lose out on him to chicago who feels leddy is worth it.

Sharpe Toews Jagr
Hossa Kane Brunette


Im sure you guys can match up with that.
Refresh my memory, who is Chicago's #1 goaltender?

Harnessed in Slums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2011, 10:14 PM
  #10
WingedWheel1987
Ken Holland's office
 
WingedWheel1987's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: GPP Michigan
Posts: 7,371
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by fabricoh View Post
Refresh my memory, who is Chicago's #1 goaltender?
This guy


WingedWheel1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2011, 10:14 PM
  #11
ricky0034
Registered User
 
ricky0034's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 6,925
vCash: 500
hell no

and I say this as someone that was heavily in favor of signing Jagr in the offseason

ricky0034 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2011, 10:17 PM
  #12
Harnessed in Slums
Registered User
 
Harnessed in Slums's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: In the Garage
Posts: 8,758
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WingedWheel1987 View Post
This guy

It's funny cause it's true!

Harnessed in Slums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2011, 10:17 PM
  #13
Fugu
Administrator
HFBoards
 
Fugu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Pac NW
Posts: 27,922
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtown View Post
That is fine, then you lose out on him to chicago who feels leddy is worth it.

Sharpe Toews Jagr
Hossa Kane Brunette


Im sure you guys can match up with that.
It's not how Holland works. He would never give up his top prospect for one last run. Smith is in his plans for years to come.



Fugu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2011, 10:19 PM
  #14
Jtown
Registered User
 
Jtown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Fairfax, Virginia
Posts: 8,863
vCash: 539
See the red wings are in a success only mode. You have generational talent at the point in their careers where its win the Stanley cup for the season was a failure.

There may never be a time where the Red wings have the talent of a Zetterberg, Datsyuk, Franzen and LIdstrom all on one team again. Potentially 2 HOF and the 2nd greatest Dman ever. I think now is the time to go for it and I cant think of a better player you can get for smith than Jagr. Jagr may even sign on for another year or two.

SMith on the other hand is an unknown. He is not a sure thing like a RNH or a dougie Hamilton. He is your top prospect but there are cerntainly better prospects in the NHL. Is it really that hard to part him for a chance to win a cup.

Jtown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2011, 10:22 PM
  #15
WingedWheel1987
Ken Holland's office
 
WingedWheel1987's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: GPP Michigan
Posts: 7,371
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtown View Post
See the red wings are in a success only mode. You have generational talent at the point in their careers where its win the Stanley cup for the season was a failure.

There may never be a time where the Red wings have the talent of a Zetterberg, Datsyuk, Franzen and LIdstrom all on one team again. Potentially 2 HOF and the 2nd greatest Dman ever. I think now is the time to go for it and I cant think of a better player you can get for smith than Jagr. Jagr may even sign on for another year or two.

SMith on the other hand is an unknown. He is not a sure thing like a RNH or a dougie Hamilton. He is your top prospect but there are cerntainly better prospects in the NHL. Is it really that hard to part him for a chance to win a cup.
Jagr isnt going to make or break the Wings chance at a cup this season.

Smith is a beast.

Let me say this one more time. No franchise would trade an over the hill veteran rental player for a stud prospect. Unless your goal is to be the worst franchise in the league.

Defense wins championships.

WingedWheel1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2011, 10:24 PM
  #16
Fugu
Administrator
HFBoards
 
Fugu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Pac NW
Posts: 27,922
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtown View Post
See the red wings are in a success only mode. You have generational talent at the point in their careers where its win the Stanley cup for the season was a failure.

There may never be a time where the Red wings have the talent of a Zetterberg, Datsyuk, Franzen and LIdstrom all on one team again. Potentially 2 HOF and the 2nd greatest Dman ever. I think now is the time to go for it and I cant think of a better player you can get for smith than Jagr. Jagr may even sign on for another year or two.

SMith on the other hand is an unknown. He is not a sure thing like a RNH or a dougie Hamilton. He is your top prospect but there are cerntainly better prospects in the NHL. Is it really that hard to part him for a chance to win a cup.

Smith is projected to be the team's future PP quarterback and top pairing defenseman. The Wings build around their defense, and in fact, the defense drives their scoring. Smith fits the system to a tee-- great skater (compared to Niedermayer), excellent skills, nose for the net, with some grit as well. This is the last guy the Wings would consider in a trade (except maybe as part of a package for a signed Weber).

I understand your reasoning, but Holland is loathe to trade any prospect who actually fits into his future plans. Smitty is going to be a Wing for a long time.

Fugu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2011, 10:41 PM
  #17
leotroy82
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 367
vCash: 500
not a snowballs chance in hell would we trade smith for the mullet ...its a stupid proposal to be honest ...maybe you could get fair market boy from cbus for jagr?

leotroy82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2011, 10:45 PM
  #18
Trvp Lord
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Country: Finland
Posts: 1,380
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Trvp Lord
We don't want Jagr. Too old.

Trvp Lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2011, 10:48 PM
  #19
Harnessed in Slums
Registered User
 
Harnessed in Slums's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: In the Garage
Posts: 8,758
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtown View Post
See the red wings are in a success only mode. You have generational talent at the point in their careers where its win the Stanley cup for the season was a failure.

There may never be a time where the Red wings have the talent of a Zetterberg, Datsyuk, Franzen and LIdstrom all on one team again. Potentially 2 HOF and the 2nd greatest Dman ever. I think now is the time to go for it and I cant think of a better player you can get for smith than Jagr. Jagr may even sign on for another year or two.

SMith on the other hand is an unknown. He is not a sure thing like a RNH or a dougie Hamilton. He is your top prospect but there are cerntainly better prospects in the NHL. Is it really that hard to part him for a chance to win a cup.
You overplayed your hand hoss. I thought Chicago and Vancouver were willing to sell the farm for ol' Jaromir? We say we're not interested and rather than collecting your king's ransom from the Hawks or Nucks you're trying to convince us that Jaromir Jagr is the straw that stirs the Red Wings drink?

You guys had your shot, it just didn't work out. The Wings even hooked you up with Ville Leino!!! So let's cut to the chase and look at this summer. We have a decent shot at Zach Parise and Ryan Suter come July 1st. I'm not saying we'll get them, just that we will have the cap space to be a player. We've won a lot over the years, right? Kind of a nice destination to play hockey if you like winning. If we get them? Well let's just say we'll be able to deal with missing out on this once in a lifetime shot at Jagr.

Harnessed in Slums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2011, 10:48 PM
  #20
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!
 
The Zetterberg Era's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Ft. Myers, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 16,109
vCash: 515
Alright so many things are wrong with this. The Wings could have outbid the Flyers if they were truly that interested, they had the cap space. Jagr has had groin issues for years, so this is not a problem I can see anybody wanting to get involved with. The Flyers are in first place, even when they discover Pronger is going to be an injury problem for the duration of his career. They are still not in a position to ever unload talent. They are trying to win, how does this help them. Even if the price was Kindl instead of Smith it would be a huge NO!

The Zetterberg Era is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2011, 10:53 PM
  #21
tfong
Registered User
 
tfong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,670
vCash: 500
I'd trade him for Emmerton or Mursak + a 3rd?

But the flyers have no real need to trade him, they are sitting top in their conference, no need to make changes.

tfong is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2011, 10:54 PM
  #22
Jtown
Registered User
 
Jtown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Fairfax, Virginia
Posts: 8,863
vCash: 539
Quote:
Originally Posted by fabricoh View Post
You overplayed your hand hoss. I thought Chicago and Vancouver were willing to sell the farm for ol' Jaromir? We say we're not interested and rather than collecting your king's ransom from the Hawks or Nucks you're trying to convince us that Jaromir Jagr is the straw that stirs the Red Wings drink?

You guys had your shot, it just didn't work out. The Wings even hooked you up with Ville Leino!!! So let's cut to the chase and look at this summer. We have a decent shot at Zach Parise and Ryan Suter come July 1st. I'm not saying we'll get them, just that we will have the cap space to be a player. We've won a lot over the years, right? Kind of a nice destination to play hockey if you like winning. If we get them? Well let's just say we'll be able to deal with missing out on this once in a lifetime shot at Jagr.
Suter and Parise may be what you need especially if lidstrom retires. That would certainly be a nice haul.


But my proposal was more of a thought experiment of some sort just to see what fans view as valuable. Nothing serious just something i was curious about.

Jtown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2011, 10:56 PM
  #23
Big Poppa Puck
Cleary=Jerry Gergich
 
Big Poppa Puck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: South Philly
Country: United States
Posts: 14,360
vCash: 500
The Flyers will be on the fringe of the playoffs worst care scenario. They won't be far enough out to move Jagr.

Smith for Jagr = lol. Only way Smith is moved is for Parise, possibly Iginla.

I don't even think Holland would interested in Jagr after how Jagr played games this summer. I think he'll go after someone like Ruutu instead.

Big Poppa Puck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2011, 10:59 PM
  #24
Harnessed in Slums
Registered User
 
Harnessed in Slums's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: In the Garage
Posts: 8,758
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtown View Post
Suter and Parise may be what you need especially if lidstrom retires. That would certainly be a nice haul.


But my proposal was more of a thought experiment of some sort just to see what fans view as valuable. Nothing serious just something i was curious about.
Well we largely thought it was a bad idea but you still tried to pump it up as being reasonable. I hope our response has given you a better idea of how the Red Wings would view such a trade.

Harnessed in Slums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2011, 11:03 PM
  #25
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!
 
The Zetterberg Era's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Ft. Myers, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 16,109
vCash: 515
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtown View Post
That is fine, then you lose out on him to chicago who feels leddy is worth it.

Sharpe Toews Jagr
Hossa Kane Brunette


Im sure you guys can match up with that.
HAHA, post that on a Chicago page to see the same responses come down.

The Zetterberg Era is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:21 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.