HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Minnesota Wild
Notices

If the Wild had all state natives on the roster...

Closed Thread

Old
12-09-2011, 11:58 AM
651*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by forthewild View Post
off the top of my head

oshie backes parise

okposo stepan buffy

wheeler cullen Langenbrune

hendricks carter blake

martin-gogo

Leopold McDonagh

braun-niski

lundin

kent patterson
Thought about Oshie but left him out because he wasn't born here, although the majority of his life was spent in Warroad.

Old
12-09-2011, 12:03 PM
forthewild

now if we are talking about guys who's played in MN as a developmental league in addition to being from mn

kessel crosby vanek

oshie backes parise

okposo stepan buffy

some grinders

on D

gogo-martin

leipold-mcdonagh

braun-lundin

niski

i will be honest this is a very rough list and i didn't put much though into it beyond the first three lines

Old
12-09-2011, 12:04 PM
forthewild

Quote:
Originally Posted by WPWW View Post
Thought about Oshie but left him out because he wasn't born here, although the majority of his life was spent in Warroad.
yeah but you can't blame that on him, heater was born in germany but he's a canadian, Oshie is one of us

Old
12-09-2011, 12:08 PM
Dr Jan Itor

Quote:
off the top of my head

oshie backes parise

okposo stepan buffy

wheeler cullen Langenbrune

hendricks carter blake

martin-gogo

Leopold McDonagh

braun-niski

lundin

kent patterson
Erik Johnson and Gardiner over the bottom pairing.

If you can include Patterson, then Bjugstad has to be there.

Old
12-09-2011, 12:09 PM
Dr Jan Itor

Quote:
I thought he moved when he was 15 or something, or am I remembering the wrong guy?

Old
12-09-2011, 12:12 PM
651*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Jan Itor View Post
I thought he moved when he was 15 or something, or am I remembering the wrong guy?
You might be right.

Quote:
now if we are talking about guys who's played in MN as a developmental league in addition to being from mn

kessel crosby vanek

oshie backes parise

okposo stepan buffy

some grinders

on D

gogo-martin

leipold-mcdonagh

braun-lundin

niski

i will be honest this is a very rough list and i didn't put much though into it beyond the first three lines
Shattuck has had some tremendous talent over the years. Does anyone know if the Stepan on their team right now is actually Derek's brother? I can only assume it is since he went there as well. I wonder if he will be an NHLer like Derek?

Old
12-09-2011, 12:14 PM
651*

Quote:

Bjugstad is leading the NCAA in scoring ATM. Florida could easily call him up right now but there is no urgency since they are leading their division right now. Okposo was called up mid-season if you'll remember to the Isles.

Old
12-09-2011, 12:16 PM
forthewild

**** totaly forgot about gardiner and johnson, yeah the new d pairings would be adjusted, i included patterson because i don't know of any nhl goalies that are from MN

Old
12-09-2011, 12:19 PM
forthewild

Quote:
Bjugstad is leading the NCAA in scoring ATM. Florida could easily call him up right now but there is no urgency since they are leading their division right now. Okposo was called up mid-season if you'll remember to the Isles.
they can't call him up, they have to sign him first which would make him lose his eligibility

also its not because they are leading, but because they want to let him develop

Old
12-09-2011, 03:05 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

vCash: 50
LOL this went a lot smoother than I would have thought. I guess people are less cranky now that we're winning!

Old
12-09-2011, 03:18 PM
rafterman

Quote:
Originally Posted by rynryn View Post
LOL this went a lot smoother than I would have thought. I guess people are less cranky now that we're winning!
Very good point. It's much easier to say 'screw Gogo and Martin, we got Spurgie' right now

Old
12-09-2011, 03:23 PM
Minnesota
L'étoile du Nord

vCash: 1527
Quote:
And I have to say I don't feel too welcome around here, FWIW.
Welcome. Seems like you've touched some pretty sore subjects right off the bat. (edit) Two threads three minutes apart, no less. That's gotta be a HFBoards Wild record.

If we haven't scared you off yet, I'd recommend introducing yourself in the Behind the Posters thread. Also check out the FAQ, it's pretty helpful.

Old
12-09-2011, 03:25 PM
651*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesota View Post
Welcome. Seems like you've touched some pretty sore subjects right off the bat.

If we haven't scared you off yet, I'd recommend introducing yourself in the Behind the Posters thread. Also check out the FAQ, it's pretty helpful.
The only reason I came over here was because I had the exact same thread going on the Minnesota board forum at CD and the power hungry mods closed it after 12 interesting pages because some yahoo came in and started crap with a couple posts.

Old
12-09-2011, 03:26 PM
651*

Quote:

Keep an eye on Justin Faulk though. Kid has a bomb and has already represented the US in U-18 and he has been selected for the upcoming World Junior along with Bjugstad and Rau and of course he's playing regularly for the Canes right now.

We have some of the best young defenseman in the league right now in Faulk, Martin, Leddy, McDonagh and E. Johnson.

Old
12-09-2011, 04:59 PM
TurnStyles5

Quote:
Shattuck has had some tremendous talent over the years. Does anyone know if the Stepan on their team right now is actually Derek's brother? I can only assume it is since he went there as well. I wonder if he will be an NHLer like Derek?
If I remember hearing right, I believe he is a cousin to the Derek Stepan of the Rangers.

Old
12-09-2011, 05:55 PM
Surly Furious

vCash: 528
Quote:
Seriously, minnesota and Florida got some major mojo moving forward.

Old
12-09-2011, 06:18 PM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

Quote:
Minnesota hockey trained = Minnesota hockey player. Oshie is a product of Minnesota.

Old
12-09-2011, 06:23 PM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

Quote:
Which is generally looked down upon, not something most teams approve of.

No, you can pretty much guarantee Bjugstad is staying the year.

Also, it's not a "call up" either. They flat out told Okposo that if he wanted a future with the Islanders, he had to leave the Gophers.

Old
12-09-2011, 06:33 PM
651*

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaLoN View Post
Which is generally looked down upon, not something most teams approve of.

No, you can pretty much guarantee Bjugstad is staying the year.

Also, it's not a "call up" either. They flat out told Okposo that if he wanted a future with the Islanders, he had to leave the Gophers.
Yeah, not called up, but I heard on the MN high school forum Okposo was not getting along with Lucia or that the Isles thought Lucia wasn't doing a good enough job. That's just hearsay but I'd be willing to bet that the Isles influence on him leaving the Gophers that year had something to do with it as If I remember they were competing well that year he left.

Old
12-09-2011, 06:40 PM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

Quote:
Yeah, not called up, but I heard on the MN high school forum Okposo was not getting along with Lucia or that the Isles thought Lucia wasn't doing a good enough job. That's just hearsay but I'd be willing to bet that the Isles influence on him leaving the Gophers that year had something to do with it as If I remember they were competing well that year he left.
I thought I just posted what the Islanders told Okposo to get him to leave the Gophers...

Quote:
They flat out told Okposo that if he wanted a future with the Islanders, he had to leave the Gophers.
Yup! I did!

Old
12-09-2011, 10:30 PM
Tone King
Atomic Punk

I am curious of something, as I am not an MN native. Why is it such a big deal that MN players should play here? I don't hear Canadian provinces with this complaint. Why obsess about something that is out of the control of the team for the most part? It wouldn't bring a Cup to the Cities.

Old
12-09-2011, 10:38 PM
651*

Quote:
Originally Posted by swanny View Post
I am curious of something, as I am not an MN native. Why is it such a big deal that MN players should play here? I don't hear Canadian provinces with this complaint. Why obsess about something that is out of the control of the team for the most part? It wouldn't bring a Cup to the Cities.
Not everyone is like me. I suppose in Canada they have so many JR leagues that are filled with natives that they take that far more seriously. The Memorial Cup honestly might be a bigger deal to some Canadians, but I am not sure.

My deal is I want the world to know just how great and important and part of the fabric of the state that hockey is that I want the world (and especially Canada) to know there simply are no competitors in America that can compete with MN hockey.

We have the biggest high school state tournament in the country, of any sport, for example. It's more of a personal thing for me, but probably not for many others (evident in this thread of course).

Old
12-09-2011, 10:39 PM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by swanny View Post
Ummm... it's NOT! This thread was just looking at the Minnesota talent in the league and what type of roster they could make up. Pure speculation. Nothing more.

We're just proud of all Minnesota developed hockey players that make it to the show, as we watch them all from High School on up!

Old
12-09-2011, 10:41 PM
Tone King
Atomic Punk

Quote:
Ummm... it's NOT! This thread was just looking at the Minnesota talent in the league and what type of roster they could make up. Pure speculation. Nothing more.

We're just proud of all Minnesota developed hockey players that make it to the show, as we watch them all from High School on up!
Just checking. That is how I view it.

Old
12-09-2011, 10:44 PM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

Though... we do all want Zach Parise... but that has less to do with where he is from, and everything to do with the fact that he's an elite hockey player who happens to be approaching UFA status.

Closed Thread