HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

How Different Are Grafs?

Old
12-08-2011, 06:16 PM
esuhock22

vCash: 500
How Different Are Grafs?

So right now I have some pretty beat up s15's, which have big cracks on each toe and I was thinking about getting some new skates. I use to play constantly, but now I'm just playing beer leagues and some pond hockey. I've been looking at Graf's and have read good reviews from skates with a decent price. I've switched from Easton to Bauers before and never really had a hard time adjusting. Now I'm looking at the Ultra G3's and G5's and was just wondering if Graf's are that hard to get use to. I've heard that they are very different.

esuhock22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2011, 07:45 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

They have a lower cut to give you more ankle mobility (or less lateral stability depending on your perspective), are forward pitched to put you more on your toes, typically are a little heavier but a little more durable than most skates in that price range and have a variety of fits at the same quality level and price.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2011, 08:02 PM
esuhock22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
They have a lower cut to give you more ankle mobility (or less lateral stability depending on your perspective), are forward pitched to put you more on your toes, typically are a little heavier but a little more durable than most skates in that price range and have a variety of fits at the same quality level and price.
That was my problem with the S15's, I liked them, but they didn't last that long. I've never really looked at Grafs and it was different to see so many models at the same price.

Old
12-08-2011, 08:24 PM
SydNap

All I can say is that I wore a pair of CCM's and two pair of Bauers and then got my Supra 703's and will never switch to anything else. I immediately noticed I was more mobile and these things are tanks. Try a pair on and skate around in them, you'll see...

SydNap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2011, 12:02 AM
Injektilo

Send a message via MSN to Injektilo
Quote:
Originally Posted by esuhock22 View Post
That was my problem with the S15's, I liked them, but they didn't last that long. I've never really looked at Grafs and it was different to see so many models at the same price.
The only Easton product I've had that lasted me a reasonable amount of time was my stick, the rest (skates, stick bag, bag, shoulder pads) all started falling apart incredibly quickly.

Injektilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2011, 03:05 PM
Stickmata

Graf has different skate models for different foot shapes, so in that respect they are very different from all the other brands. If you are going to wear Grafs, you need to make sure that you get a model that is designed for your foot shape or you will be sorry. Even the right Graf is notorious for being hard/painful/longer to break in than other skates. The wrong one will be a torture rack.

My exception to this is if you have an extremely narrow/low volume foot that you just can't get any other brand to fit, you can probably go right to the 703 or G3 Graf models. I am that foot and I wear a 703. I like them, but they were an absolute ***** to break in.

They also have a more aggressive forward pitch compared to CCMs and, especially, Bauers. If I could get a CCM skate to fit my foot, I'd wear them over Grafs.

Stickmata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2011, 03:17 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I have a foot with a narrow heel that won't lock into anything else. Graf G35's felt very comfortable out of the box. There was zero break in time. Had them baked, they were very tight, and I tried skating twice but had so much arch pain I could not. Had them stretched out up front on either side and done.

I did have my skates profiled to a neutral pitch though. Ideally I'd put LS2 holders on them but the profiling took care of it.

Old
12-09-2011, 03:21 PM
rinkrat22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
I have a foot with a narrow heel that won't lock into anything else. Graf G35's felt very comfortable out of the box. There was zero break in time. Had them baked, they were very tight, and I tried skating twice but had so much arch pain I could not. Had them stretched out up front on either side and done.

I did have my skates profiled to a neutral pitch though. Ideally I'd put LS2 holders on them but the profiling took care of it.
thats what I did, the blade holder on the grafs is so foreward pitched, as a natural dman I cant skate on my toes to well

rinkrat22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2011, 04:30 AM
Loyal2TheOil

hey guys i dont mean to hijack the thread, but im not familiar with grafs either so i was hoping to get some advice. i was just looking at their website with the all the different fits but im still lost. i have a wide foot, have to wear a 2E/E in bauer, ccm, easton, reebok. i supinate as well. any idea which graf "fit" i belong in?

Loyal2TheOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2011, 11:02 AM
SydNap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loyal2TheOil View Post
hey guys i dont mean to hijack the thread, but im not familiar with grafs either so i was hoping to get some advice. i was just looking at their website with the all the different fits but im still lost. i have a wide foot, have to wear a 2E/E in bauer, ccm, easton, reebok. i supinate as well. any idea which graf "fit" i belong in?
Where do you live? I would suggest doing research on the Grafs with your foot type and then trying a few pairs on. All I can say (which I said previously) is that my 703's are by far the best skates I've ever owned. I skate barefoot and really feel my edges in these skates.

SydNap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2011, 11:24 AM
ArrogantOwl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loyal2TheOil View Post
Join the club of oddities known as feet.

ArrogantOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2011, 05:04 AM
Loyal2TheOil

Quote:
Originally Posted by SydNap View Post
Where do you live? I would suggest doing research on the Grafs with your foot type and then trying a few pairs on. All I can say (which I said previously) is that my 703's are by far the best skates I've ever owned. I skate barefoot and really feel my edges in these skates.
I live in Edmonton. I grabbed a pair of 609s off a buddy a few years ago and never really tried them out until a few weeks ago. It was like having a vice on my feet! I had extreme arch pain for the next two days. The Graf website doesn't have the 609s on there so I'm guessing it's an older model? Does anyone know what the 609 fit is now? At least that way I know what to stay away from!

Loyal2TheOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2011, 06:26 AM
Hank4Hart

one thing no one else has mentioned is that all graf skates can be baked so that you mold the shape of the skate to fit your foot perfectly. graf's better fit by far outweighs the fact its heavier than other boots IMO.

other than that, yeah the graf holders are a little hard getting used to, i switched mine with the pitch 3 holders from mission, those ones allow you to adjust from forward/neutral/backward pitch so you can play around with them a little bit.

Hank4Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2011, 04:39 PM
Stickmata

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank4Hart View Post
one thing no one else has mentioned is that all graf skates can be baked so that you mold the shape of the skate to fit your foot perfectly. graf's better fit by far outweighs the fact its heavier than other boots IMO.
All the major brands can be baked. Nothing unique about Grafs. Actually, the Graf rep told me that you should only bake them once, whereas other, stiffer boots can be baked multiple times.

Old
12-11-2011, 07:36 PM
thedonger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickmata View Post
All the major brands can be baked. Nothing unique about Grafs. Actually, the Graf rep told me that you should only bake them once, whereas other, stiffer boots can be baked multiple times.
agree with the first part. the 2nd part depends on which graf line you're talking about. i know the newer x series(g3x, g35x, g5x, etc.) as well as the g75 series can be baked multiple times.

thedonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 09:34 AM
Guffaw

My .02 on Graf.

The bottom line with Graf is the fit. No other skate manufacturer offers fit profiles based on 3 different foot measurements(Heel Shape, Heel Width, Instep Depth) and offers them all in 3 widths(Narrow, Regular, Wide). The biggest issue you're going to have is finding a store with a rep that carries all or most of their models and knows what he's talking about.

I wear a G35 in a regular width, but may switch to a 703 or G3 in a Narrow. The G35 locks my heel in, but is just too deep from the 4th eyelet to the toe for my bony foot.

Guffaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 09:39 AM
Guffaw

Quote:

My exception to this is if you have an extremely narrow/low volume foot that you just can't get any other brand to fit, you can probably go right to the 703 or G3 Graf models. I am that foot and I wear a 703. I like them, but they were an absolute ***** to break in.
Can I ask what type of arch you have? The 703/G3 is my foot profile, but I'm afraid it won't be deep enough at the 5-6th eyelet up from the bottom as I have a really high arch that has made me prone to lace bite in the past. Unfortunately the LHS didn't have the 703/G3 for me to try when I bought the G35's.

I really need a custom. 703/G3 depth up to 4th eyelet. 735/G35 depth from 5th on up.

Also are you in a Narrow or Regular width 703?

Old
12-12-2011, 09:42 AM
Guffaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by SydNap View Post
All I can say is that I wore a pair of CCM's and two pair of Bauers and then got my Supra 703's and will never switch to anything else. I immediately noticed I was more mobile and these things are tanks. Try a pair on and skate around in them, you'll see...
Any issues with lace bite? My foot is very low volume except for right above the arch(high arches). The G35 is just way too deep for me at the forefoot.

Old
12-12-2011, 10:26 AM
Stickmata

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guffaw View Post
Can I ask what type of arch you have? The 703/G3 is my foot profile, but I'm afraid it won't be deep enough at the 5-6th eyelet up from the bottom as I have a really high arch that has made me prone to lace bite in the past. Unfortunately the LHS didn't have the 703/G3 for me to try when I bought the G35's.

I really need a custom. 703/G3 depth up to 4th eyelet. 735/G35 depth from 5th on up.

Also are you in a Narrow or Regular width 703?
I have a relatively high arch and I agree, if I crank them down really tight, I can inflict a little discomfort at the break point about 4 eyelets down, but I've never gotten lace bite from these skates. I am an A/B foot with some freaky abnormalities and I'm wearing the regular width 703s, which are already very narrow. I have noticed that as they've aged and really broken in, they feel a little wider than before and I need to lace them tighter. Still good though and they were incredibly painful to break in. I've tried on the 735s and when I buy new skates I'm going to try on both the 703s an 735s in both a regular and a narrow. My guess is that I should really be in a 735 narrow.

I'll also say that, while Grafs chart shows the 703 and G3 fit the same foot, the 703 boot felt narrower to me and fit my foot better.

Old
12-12-2011, 11:14 AM
Guffaw

Quote:
I have a relatively high arch and I agree, if I crank them down really tight, I can inflict a little discomfort at the break point about 4 eyelets down, but I've never gotten lace bite from these skates. I am an A/B foot with some freaky abnormalities and I'm wearing the regular width 703s, which are already very narrow. I have noticed that as they've aged and really broken in, they feel a little wider than before and I need to lace them tighter. Still good though and they were incredibly painful to break in. I've tried on the 735s and when I buy new skates I'm going to try on both the 703s an 735s in both a regular and a narrow. My guess is that I should really be in a 735 narrow.

I'll also say that, while Grafs chart shows the 703 and G3 fit the same foot, the 703 boot felt narrower to me and fit my foot better.
Thanks. My G35's are comfortable so maybe I should just stay put. I like that tight fit though. Such a fine line between the right fit and pain.

Old
12-12-2011, 12:12 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

With my G35's, I think it's the thickness of the liner, but I just lace them to "snug". Even two years on with them.

Old
12-12-2011, 12:21 PM
toddmanley

I had a pair of G35x's that I really liked, but as previously noted, the lower cut of the boot revealed a pre-existing injury. The ability to find the "right" fit within the Graf product line is outstanding given you have the ability to try on all the models to determine which works for you. The lower cut and lateral mobility/stability of the boot ended up causing me pain; come to find out after taking x-rays I had a bone spur on the outside of the right ankle. I had to give up on the Graf's and find a boot that was cut higher on the leg. I used a pair of Easton S17's for a while but they were too stiff; I've moved on to the Bauer One100 and I get better forward flexibility with plenty of lateral support.

Good luck in your hunt for the right Graf skate. I really like them and would still be skating on them if I didn't have the bone spur.

toddmanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2011, 11:49 AM
esuhock22

Anyone have any experience with Supra 535's?

Old
12-20-2011, 02:30 PM
CornKicker
Still burning Lowood

vCash: 694
i bought 705's in 2003 and am still using them, i have had to replace all the eyelets as they have come off and the lettering on the back had rubbed completely off but other than that they are still in perfect condition. I play close to 65-75 times a year so these have lasted me 600+ ice times. THey do get heavy so i make sure to always dry them out, if you are playing multiple times in a weekend you will feel the weight. dubability wise no other skate will ever compare. I switched from eastons to the grafs and they were not too bad to break in, just getting used to the pitch took a few skates.

they arent for everyone but i love my skates and will only buy grafs when the time comes i ned new ones.

CornKicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2011, 02:31 PM
CornKicker
Still burning Lowood

vCash: 694
also i have heard of guys drilling holes int eh bottom of the boot to let moisture out, i havent doen it myself but guys i play with have.

CornKicker is offline   Reply With Quote